Beyond the Fence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phoebe hesitated. "Did you see it? What I did to that man?" She wondered if maybe he somehow escaped the vision she had caused. He probably was blocking it out. The girl let her head lean against the wall of the cave, breathing slowly to try and calm herself down. "I... I can create visions. It makes me sick and sore, but I can drive someone insane with a vision of their worst nightmares. I... don't like using it..." She felt herself start to cry.

Noah tensed. That's what caused the man to freak out. Oh...but she doesn't like it... He felt compelled to comfort her as she started to cry. She stood, walking over. Sitting beside her, he paused before hugging her. It just felt like the right thing to do.

"I-I don't want to be a monster... I'm not a monster!" She sobbed, hugging the boy back. "I c-can't help it... They just happen... I get scared and-and..." She closed her eyes as her mental walls she had spent so much time building up crumbled. Thoughts started to filter in through her head, mostly from the boy who was right in front of her. If she wasn't feeling so awful, Phoebe would have never accepted the hug from the Topi. He and the rest of his people hated her kind. However, he was giving her comfort, something she craved so dearly. "I'm not a monster... I don't want to be a monster..."

He hugged her close. "Shh...I..I don't think you're a monster." He said quietly. She didn't seem like one to him, however, he didn't think his opinion meant anything at the moment. He began to wonder just why they called her a monster...she didn't seem like one.

Phoebe stopped talking after that, simply taking comfort in his arms. She fell asleep, tear tracks still present on her face. The pink eyed girl slept all through the night, only waking up when the sun started to filter through the roots. She blinked, confused on when she fell asleep. The girl yawned before curling back up, not wanting to wake up quite yet... She wouldn't have to move for a while. The woman she stole from wouldn't be able to find her for quite a while.

Noah fell asleep holding her. He didn't wake up even when the sun rose, tired from being up most of the night.
An hour or so after sunrise, Noah yawned. It took him less than a minute to realize he was not in bed. Then it all came back to him. "Oh yeah.." he thought to himself, looking over to Pheobe. He found himself smiling faintly at her peaceful state.

Phoebe woke up, realized she was in someone's arms, and quickly moved away from Noah. Trying to keep her panic, and blush after she realized it was Noah, under control, she cleared her throat. "So, um, I guess you get to see the outside now, Topi." She sifted through her things, though they weren't much. She found two pieces of fruit, a little past their ripened state and handed one to Noah. "Here. So, um, I guess I have to answer some questions, huh?" She started to eat her fruit, a strange pink fruit called a peach. It was fairly sweet and juicy.

Noah had zoned out and was surprised by Pheobe's sudden movement. "Oh..Thanks. Good morning." he said before taking a bite. He closed his eyes a moment. "I love peaches. But umm...Questions, right. How old are you?" he asked curiously.

"That is a good question..." Phoebe paused for a moment, trying to think of exactly how old she was. "Um... I'm 16. Yeah, 16." She nodded, taking another bite out of her peach. As she ate, she kept an eye out for any people who might dare to come toward her little hideout. She was quite happy to find her mental walls back up, keeping unwanted thoughts out of her head.

Noah paused. "Really? Cool, so am I. Why do you have to live out here?" He asked, taking another bite. "And is everyone out here like you?"

Phoebe gave him a stare before sighing. "We have to live here because we might hurt the normal, nice people like you and the rest of the Topis. We're different so they shut us out years ago, made those damn fences to keep us away." She finished off her peach, throwing away the pit. "Yes, everyone out here is like me. Their abilities just come in different flavors. Some can communicate the same way I read minds and others can lift objects just by thinking about it." She stretched before going through her inventory. She had a fair amount of food, enough to feed just herself for a week. She had to feed the Topi too though... She would also have to get him warmer clothes if she couldn't get him back home in time for the winter.

"You're nice." he said, only half-finished with his peach. "And it's not scary at home...you would seem normal." He said, frowning. "It's unfair you have to stay out here." He sighed softly, taking another bite. "Sometimes people are just mean. Are you feeling better?" he asked.

Phoebe gave a small chuckle. He was so innocent. "No, I wouldn't be considered normal. Of course it's not scary at your home... They need to keep you all happy and keep the filthy barbarians out." She sighed and started to pack up her things. "Speaking of your little home, I'm taking you back. I can't take you to your original Utopia. They'd kill me on the spot. However, I can sneak you into another one, then they can drop you off back home, and you can forget all about this little experience." The brunette didn't need another person to look out for.

Noah shook his head. "I can't just leave you out here like this...it's terrible. I don't see you as a filthy barbarian, and surely someone else thinks the same way as I do." He said, crossing his arms stubbornly. "It can't be any worse than the games I play at home."

Phoebe turned to look at him. He couldn't be serious. "Do you think this is a game? That you can just walk out here, find some person and decide to go on an adventure? Everything's going to be handy dandy! It'll be just like the games I play!" The brunette scowled at the thought. "It doesn't work that way. You fight to survive. It isn't just some game that you can stop playing and go back to your cozy life." She finished up grabbing her things, grabbing the weapon Noah stole from the Protector. "Come on. I'll start taking you home."

Noah felt hurt. He thought he could help...Standing, he put his hands in his pockets and kept his head down. He felt...he wasn't sure. He'd never been scoffed at before. "I don't want to go home." He muttered quietly to himself. "I just wanted to help."
He'd forgotten she could read his mind.

"You're just unsure of yourself. You'll be sure again when you realize that this world is not for you. You need to go back to your happy little life, and I'll go back to my shitty life. It's how it's suppose to go." Phoebe moved past the roots. "Come on, we need to get going. I'm sure you can help a whole bunch of people back in your little bubble." She was going to start walking, but stopped. "... and thanks. For last night." With that she was off.

Noah sighed, silent as he followed. After a few minutes, he spoke again. "I can't help anyone at home. No one ever needs my help." He shrugged. "I'm sorry you're stuck out here..." He caught up with her. "I'll do anything and everything I can to get you inside... I promise." And he never. Ever. Broke his promises.
Unless he died first... But he kept that in his head.

"That's a nice thought, but I doubt that will work." Phoebe said, keeping the weapon close. It was a gun, she knew that much, and it seemed to work somewhat simply. She sighed before glancing over at Noah. "So, why were you over the by the fence? Most Topis keep to their warm, safe houses." The brunette kept an eye out for possible bandits looking to steal her things. She kept her bag close, not willing to give anything she had stolen up.

"I was bored. I wasn't tired, I finished all my games and I didn't feel like restarting them, I finished all my schoolwork.." He paused, then continued, "and I was curious about the fence. How it worked. And I figured... The safest time was when it was recharging." He shrugged slightly. "What about you?"

Status
Not open for further replies.