Beyond the Fence

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
The next morning, Phoebe woke up before the sun, blinking in the dimness of the room. She stretched a bit before getting off the bed. She hoped that she wasn't up too early. She would like to take a shower if Rick was up and willing to.

Noah was still asleep. He curled up as she got out of bed, covering his head with his arms. He made no noise.

Running. It was dark, nothing could be seen. Being chased. Pain. Blood...dead bodies. Screaming. Fence...bright lights...

Noah was having a nightmare, and the only way to tell was his slight frown.

Phoebe was about to leave, but glanced back at Noah to make sure he was still asleep. Noticing the frown on his face, she frowned herself and walked over to him. She gently shook his foot. "Noah? Noah, you okay?" She wondered if maybe he was having bad dreams, as many people were prone to do outside of the domes. For a Topi like him, it was probably a horrible, horrible experience.

Noah only whimpered softly, curling up more. He felt like his head had been cut off...no...like his head was being put under thousands of pounds of pressure while the rest of his body was being stabbed repeatedly...no...something else. It hurt. A lot. He held his head tightly in his arms, curling up until his knees touched his chin. He rolled over on his stomach.

"Noah... Come on, wake up! Noah!" Phoebe was starting to get a little desperate. What was wrong with him? Why was he acting this way? What was going on?! She felt fear start to course through her chest as she tried to get her, dare she say it, friend to respond to her. "Tell me what's wrong, please? I can't read your mind like this!" She didn't know what was happening. What was wrong?

Noah whimpered. In his dream, her heard faint words. "Ph....pheo..pheobe.." he whined softly in his sleep as he recognized the voice. He was starting to wake up, maybe.

"Yeah, it's me. Come on, buddy, talk to me!" Phoebe shook him more, a bit of hope starting to bloom in her chest. "Come on, please, just talk to me a little bit! Please!" This was almost worse than comforting him in a way. If this really was a bad dream then she would have to comfort him afterwards anyway. Damn it.

Noah's eyes snapped open and he inhaled sharply...but felt no pain. He wiped his face with his hands...but they came off without any blood. He sat up. "I...I'm confused..." he mumbled, looking around. This is not were he just was...and he relaxed. "What just happened...?"

"You had a nightmare. You're fine now." Phoebe looked outside to see that it was still really dark out. "I think you should go back to bed. It's still dark out. Hopefully you won't have a nightmare again." She ran a hand through her hair, realizing that the chances of the others being up was extremely low.

He hugged her. He didn't ever want to see anything like that again. It felt like his heart was still racing. It wasn't, but it felt like it. Still hugging her, he started to fall asleep again, still tired.

Phoebe waited until Noah was asleep before slipping out of his hug the best she could. She left the room and quickly searched for Rick, wanting to take a shower or something of the sort if he wouldn't mind. She was surprised to find the boy already up doing what looked like some extra chores. He smiled before finishing up his extra chores before following Phoebe, standing outside the bathroom to get the water going.

Noah curled up in the blankets, the warm fabric wrapping around him like a cacoon. He manged to roll off the bed, but the pillow he'd knocked off earlier broke his fall and he didn't awaken from his now-dreamless, deep sleep.

After her shower, Phoebe walked back to the room to wake Noah up for breakfast. She opened the door to find Noah on the ground, fast asleep. She shook her head before moving and picking him up. She put him back in the bed with a bit of trouble before going back down to help everyone get ready for breakfast. Hopefully he wouldn't wake up screaming or something of that kind of thing.

Noah only rolled over as a response of being returned to bed. A few minutes after Pheobe left, Noah woke up, rubbing his eyes sleepily. He yawned, tried to stretch....and found himself stuck in the blankets. At first, he panicked slightly...until he realized what was happening. Then he sighed. "uurg...how to get out..." he mumbled to himself. He rolled off the bed by accident, landing with a 'thump' and an audible "oomph...dangit."

Phoebe was coming up to get Noah when she heard the thump. "Hey, is everything okay in here?" She asked, mildly concerned. She stood in the doorway, shuffling her feet before hopping from one foot to the other. The brunette looked like she wanted to laugh, her tan shoulders shaking a little.

Noah groaned quietly. "Help mee..." He whined softy, wriggling in the blankets. He didn't know how he managed to wrap himself up so tightly.

Phoebe let out a chuckle as she moved over and started helping Noah out of the blankets. "Come on, breakfast is ready. Afterwards we get to help clean up the house." She said, leading Noah down to the breakfast table. She quickly sat down with him, grabbing food for them both. She started to eat the meats and bread they had set out. Rick walked over to the two and sat down.

"Hey, sorry about the night before. I was on guard duty when the Protectors came." The boy said quietly. "I didn't mean to fall asleep... I just sort of did." He pushed his food around his plate, feeling really bad.

Noah smiled softly. "It's alright." He said. "I don't blame you. The sounds of nature outside, the quietness... Just puts you to sleep. Plus, y'know... It being night and all, it's sleep time." He offered, trying to cheer Rick up a little as he took a bite of the food. He felt like he hadn't eaten in days. Well.. In all honesty, it was only since afternoon the day before. He ate another bite.

"Yeah, thanks." Rick smiled back at Noah before eating the rest of his breakfast. "Hey, to make up for you two, why don't I show you my secret spot in the house! It's got a whole bunch of cool stuff." He seemed extremely excited as he said this, bouncing a bit in his seat.

Phoebe frowned, unsure. She had already gotten more attached to the group than she was expecting. She had to leave soon before she ended up getting hurt, however she didn't want to disappoint the kid...

Noah smiled. "You don't have to make anything up. It's your secret spot right? It won't be too much of a secret if we knew, now would it?" He said, still smiling. He was trying to nicely dissuade Rick. He hoped it would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.