Beyond the Fence

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
"It's different, isn't it?" Phoebe asked, smiling. Rick smiled with them, looking through the paintings. Phoebe saw a painting of a maid working and quickly realized that they still hadn't done their chores. "Shoot! We need to go! We have to get our jobs done!" She called, running to the switch and turning off the light. Rick followed, picking up his lamp as he hoped to almighty above that they wouldn't get in trouble. When the three finally left the hidden room and it's hatch, they found Max looking not too happy.

"And where were you three?" He asked, crossing his arms across his chest. Phoebe kept her mouth shut, and Rick quickly shook his head, trying to get himself out of trouble. The blond leader raised an eyebrow, trying to figure out just where they had been.

Noah paused a moment, then sighed softly. "I was getting nervous about the Protectors and so they took me around to show me it was all clear.. It was my fault." He said. It was a very good explanation in his eyes, considering it had only been the day before since he had been through the panic and adrenaline of being found.

Max looked at all three of them. "... Alright, I'll believe you, but you should have told one of us where you three were going." He gave them all a slightly disappointed look. Rick looked down in shame while Phoebe looked unimpressed. "As punishment, instead of just cleaning around a few rooms, you need to clean this house top to bottom." Rick gave Max a surprised look, while Phoebe sighed. She really didn't want to clean the house. She was still having doubts, knowing she needed to move on.

Noah nodded weakly. "Okay." He said, looking down at his feet. He knew that was a lot of work, but as long as they didn't get caught, he figured it was okay. He'd like to keep Rick's secret... Well.... A secret.

Maxie nodded. "I hope you three learn from your mistakes. Now, get to work!" He smiled before giving each a pat on the back. Rick sighed before giving Noah a grateful smile and running off to start working.

Phoebe watched Rick leave before looking over at Noah. "Hey, can I talk to you for a minute?" She asked, gesturing for Noah to come with her. She started walking toward an empty room, opening her mind to read Noah's thoughts. She wasn't sure of herself anymore. Her world was going upside down.

Noah was nervous, and for what reason, he wasn't sure, but he just felt nervous. He nodded, following Pheobe and glancing around. Max seemed a little tense. Noah wondered why. He wondered why the Protectors hadn't returned. He hoped they wouldn't. He wondered why the Protectors found infected blood in him. How'd that happen? Was it good or bad? What did it mean?

Phoebe tried to give Noah a smile since he was so nervous and the thoughts in his head all seemed to be about the infected blood thing. "Look, I... I don't want to get attached to the group." She said, getting straight to the point. The brunette left it at that, pink eyes scanning Noah to see just what he thought of her statement. She needed to leave, but she wanted to stay. She wanted a family again so badly, but it just wasn't possible.

Noah's reaction was a quick nod of his head. "Agreed." He said, glancing at the window. "Sh..should we leave tonight?" He asked, his voice dropping to a quiet whisper. He had a sudden fear that they could hear him. That they'd burst in the door and force Phoebe to infiltrate the Utopias, or even use her to make him do it.

"I think that's best... Though, I'm going to miss the showers." Phoebe joked. She felt at home here, but the idea of losing another group hurt more than leaving them. She wasn't as worried about Max sending her or Noah to the Utopias, as he seemed to be forgetting about it. She glanced over at Noah. When did she decide that she wasn't going to take him back to the Utopia? The pink eyed girl looked confused as she tried to figure out when she grew attached to the Topi boy before her.

Noah was watching the door carefully. He looked slightly confused, and this confusion stayed in his expression for several moments before it changed to curiosity. However, the curiously quickly changed to remembering and he sighed. "We should probably get to doing something before they come to get after us." He said, turning to face her again.

"Right..." Phoebe cleared her throat before moving to the corner to pick up the cleaning supplies. "I guess we should get started." She handed a broom to Noah before moving to dust around the room. The cleaning went by quietly, Phoebe choosing not to talk during the time. As they moved through the house, some of the other group members nodded to them, and Phoebe nodded back. It was going to be hard to leave all of the security and food, but they had to.

Noah kept his head down, his mouth shut, and for once, his mind focused. He cleaned as best as he could, his mind completely focused on just cleaning. The thoughts of the Protectors seemed to leave his mind and he didn't really worry about anything except for a few spots he couldn't get clean.

Things were quiet until night came. Phoebe snuck through the house, grabbing just what she and Noah would need to survive for two weeks. She grabbed warm clothes since the air had been chilling. The brunette moved to the door, ready to get going.

Noah grabbed a bag to put everything in. He walked quietly up to Pheobe. Should we leave a note of some sort, so they don't panic and go searching or something? He thought, looking at her for an answer.

Phoebe shook her head. They'd know when they saw that they had taken a lot of their supplies. She left the house, a heavy feeling falling in her chest. The pink eyed girl felt guilty. She didn't want to cause these people trouble, and Rick had even gone ahead to show them his secret base. However, she was scared. She couldn't stay with them if she was scared, so she left.

Noah waved goodbye as the house disappeared into the trees. He stayed close beside Pheobe, his ears and eyes open for any sounds at all. Every moving branch or slight wind made him tense, but he never uttered a sound.

Phoebe just kept walking until she deemed they were far enough away. The girl looked around before finding a small almost cave made out of roots from a large tree. It was large enough for them to duck under and into comfortably. She ducked under into it, pulling her knees up to her chest. The air seemed to chill her to the bone as she kept an eye out for any dangers.

Noah slipped in behind her and sat down, leaning against the back and sighed softly, shivering faintly. He wondered if they had thought to bring a blanket...he couldn't remember if he grabbed one of not, and he didn't want to expose his back to the cool air. It was warm against the backpack.

Phoebe glanced over at Noah and moved her bag around to the front of her. She fished through it before pulling out a large sweater. She shoved it toward Noah, using her other hand to close up the bag. "Here. You look cold." She said simply. They didn't have room for blankets when they left, but sweaters were always something she could make room for. Why have all this food if the cold will kill you first?

"Are you not cold?" He said, hesitating to take the sweater. He slipped the backpack of his shoulders, shivering slightly before pulling the sweater over his head. The arms were too long and it made him look like a large fluffy pillow. The thought made him smile faintly. He shifted slightly closer, in case she was cold to, because he knew body heat was also a good way to stay warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.