Before The Dawn [OOC]

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't say that we have to stick with the past tense for posts as a rule. That can be very stifling from a creative standpoint. This sort of collaborative fiction is all about, to my mind, achieving an individual voice that can mesh well with the rest of the group. One of the most effective ways of doing that is to slightly altering the tone of your writing from the accepted norm. That's why I use a lot of colloquiums and slang that may seem a touch out of place in a fantasy setting, so as to differentiate myself from the rest of the pack. Another effective way of achieving this individuality is using past tense while everyone else uses present tense, or trying your hand at 1st person perspective while everyone the others work on a 3rd. Hell, I've seen some people use a floating narrator, which you wouldn't think would work in RPing, but it did.

So I wouldn't say to use past tense as a rule, not if you think you can work a different perspective, as individuality is key in any sort of art.

I would say to make sure you're consistent though. If you start a post using past tense, don't end it on present, nor change from a 1st to 3rd person perspective in between sentences.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit though, despite the grammatical slip-up, that post from Damian was very poignant. I feel like this is a make-or-break situation for Marian, and the likeliest outcome is that she decides to defend Damian.

After all, people are forgetting he's a little snot who can be beaten up and the scroll can be taken.

I have to admit though, despite the grammatical slip-up, that post from Damian was very poignant. I feel like this is a make-or-break situation for Marian, and the likeliest outcome is that she decides to defend Damian.

After all, people are forgetting he's a little snot who can be beaten up and the scroll can be taken.
Ouch... That hurts man!

• Love
Reactions: Ythania
All I know is that he's secured himself a place in Avarielle's burn book for the near future. If there are two things she prides herself on, it's her honesty and her magical prowess; both of which Damian managed to undermine in her eyes. It should be interesting, that's for sure!

Regarding the tense debate: As a matter of personal opinion, I prefer posts to be done in past tense as it gives a sense of cohesion across the board; but I definitely sympathise with Sam's point surrounding personal writing styles, and strictly using past tense is by no means a 'rule' of the roleplay.

Looking forward to seeing what other characters think about Damian's behaviour. Let me know when you each feel like you've contributed all you wish to the scene, as I don't intend to rush us into moving on until people start becoming restless.

If I end up making another post, I might make Vance side with our shy adventurer also, because he knows them feels about getting underestimated/picked on. And he thinks opening the scroll is a terrible idea, too.

Alas, not only does the beauty of his eye not acknowledge his presence, she'd also like to slit his throat with a paralysis poison-coated edge, apparently. Tis' a hard life being an alchemist.

On the subject of which, I have a really minor gripe: five poison vials were swiped from the desk, and he only placed four on the desk. (I know, I know, it's a CinemaSins-level point out of an error, but still... I just thought I'd mention it.)

Loving the RP so far, by the way. We've got a great selection of characters, all with their own individual motives and possible character developments. There's so many different ways characters can come out at the end of this (if they survive); it's rather exciting imo.

On the subject of which, I have a really minor gripe: five poison vials were swiped from the desk, and he only placed four on the desk. (I know, I know, it's a CinemaSins-level point out of an error, but still... I just thought I'd mention it.)
Hey man, nothing wrong with a bit of Cinema-Sins, gripe away! But keep a running tally, so we know what our sentence should be at the end.

• Useful
Reactions: Jakers
Hey man, nothing wrong with a bit of Cinema-Sins, gripe away! But keep a running tally, so we know what our sentence should be at the end.
Agreed; I didn't notice the fifth vial go missing, but I did find it strange that people felt they needed two. I imagine a vial of that stuff could last a fair while if used sparingly.

Reactions: Aleksandar
Agreed; I didn't notice the fifth vial go missing, but I did find it strange that people felt they needed two. I imagine a vial of that stuff could last a fair while if used sparingly.
Excessive poisoning is the best kind of poisoning. Ask alcoholics.

Alas I am not sure if Feyre will side with Damian.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll get a post up sometime tomorrow, the Internet in the barracks is getting changed so I have to go to a different building across base to be able to use my laptop.

Excessive poisoning is the best kind of poisoning. Ask alcoholics.
AKA, the entirety of the group.

Well, Marian's actually rather sensible; she just got hammered the night before due to the fact she was celebrating what may be the best thing to happen for her in her life. Still, dwarves' resistance to poison means that alcohol doesn't do much unless ingested at ridiculous amounts - meaning Marian simply doesn't have the funds to get drunk, and thus has no reason to drink.

I imagine dwarves have to buy booze by the kegful to get tipsy, so god knows how much Alcohol is left in Woodsend after Marian had her own little party.

AKA, the entirety of the group.
Faen doesn't have a problem!

On another note, I'm really looking forward to getting out of this tavern and getting on with the adventure at large. Other than resolving the scroll issue (Which I imagine our noble GM can do, as he's the only one with a character that can read the runes) does anyone else feel the have any other points to contribute while in our current locale? Or can we sort out the scroll then skedaddle?

Faen doesn't have a problem!

On another note, I'm really looking forward to getting out of this tavern and getting on with the adventure at large. Other than resolving the scroll issue (Which I imagine our noble GM can do, as he's the only one with a character that can read the runes) does anyone else feel the have any other points to contribute while in our current locale? Or can we sort out the scroll then skedaddle?
I'll give @FrostedCamel some time to get his post up, and then I'll move things along. :-)

• Thank You
Reactions: Blacksam
Whatever happened to @Jakers?
Oh, he and anyone else are more than welcome to post! I just meant that I would only be 'waiting' for Camel, as he was the only one that explicitly said he wanted to post again, and that my next post will move us out of the inn so I didn't want to discard any work he had already done.

Reactions: Navi Jay
If I end up making another post, I might make Vance side with our shy adventurer also, because he knows them feels about getting underestimated/picked on. And he thinks opening the scroll is a terrible idea, too.

Alas, not only does the beauty of his eye not acknowledge his presence, she'd also like to slit his throat with a paralysis poison-coated edge, apparently. Tis' a hard life being an alchemist.

Loving the RP so far, by the way. We've got a great selection of characters, all with their own individual motives and possible character developments. There's so many different ways characters can come out at the end of this (if they survive); it's rather exciting imo.
Oh I did not even notice...wow dumb moment for me...hehe.

Go ahead and move on without me, I'll just put a reaction into the beginning of my next post.

I made it over to the other building but ended up getting side tracked by some classmates and didn't have enough time to write before the place closed. Apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.