• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
"I can, but...listen, Suzumi, after we get to the palace, I need to go off and deal with some things. I know you'll worry, but if everything works out I won't see you again. And if stuff goes wrong, I will meet up with you, so we'll be able to help each other out again. Make sense?"

Fei ran with Suzumi, as they started running up the steps towards the palace. She hoped Suzumi made it out okay...otherwise...she probably wouldn't forgive her father.

Amidst the chaos Kiyo and Risa sat idly by, Risa continuing to sip her tea and Kiyo as calm as always with his arms crossed and leaning slightly back in his chair. Neither of them had much to worry about if the Fire Nation was here or not. They were independent contractors, they both had done work for the Fire Nation either for recon, assassinations, or some other dirty work. This wasn't known to the public however, as the Fire Nation had at least some diligence to keep professional affairs private.

Whoever was heading this attack would know who they are and simply ignore them, after all they were a neutral party that didn't care to side with the Earth Nation or the Fire Nation, of course that is if the commanding officer found them first.

"So Risa where is this person you mentioned?" Kiyo said continuing the conversation as if nothing had changed in their surroundings. "Oh somewhere in the Fire Nation" she replied as she playfully toyed with her words. "But, this will only happen if I lead you there, so you'll have to put up with me until we find the guy! OK?" Kiyo immediately disapproved grunting in dissatisfaction but replied "Fine, if you insist"

By this time everyone had vacated the tea shop and only Kiyo and Risa were left. Moments after a squad a five fire soldiers busted in though the doorway of the tea shop. The group walked towards Kiyo and Risa in a triangle formation and Kiyo spoke up stating "There is no one else in here, you may leave now" and gave them a brushing motion with his hand. THe leader of the squad did not take to kindly to Kiyo's words and shot a blast of fire decimating the table they were using. Risa responded saying is a slightly annoyed but joyous tone "You know I had a saucer on that table and now I have no place to put my tea" she then slowly stood up, "Kiyo may I have the honors?" Kiyo nodded in approval as this would only last mere seconds. Risa tossed her tea cup in the air and made a quick rush causing the firebenders to step back. But before they could plant their feet back on solid ground Kiyo swiftly rose form his seat raising an arm causing a gust of to sweep the firebenders upwards launching their heads through the ceiling, causing severe discombobulation.

The battle was now over and Risa gracefully caught her teacup that she had tossed only seconds earlier. "Kiyo why do you never leave any for me?" Risa playfully whined. "Because, then you would have ruined your tea" Kiyo responded. "Aww you're so nice Kiyo! I've always known you've had it in you!" Kiyo now annoyed retorted "Ugh, lets go Risa" and Kiyo walked towards the door. Risa began to follow Kiyo but as she passed the soldiers with their heads stuck in the ceiling she patted one of their legs and said "That was fun! We should play again sometime!"

"I know a good many people! And you are just another casualty in a war that will end with fire! Those who betray the Fire Nation will feel its wrath!" Asuka laughed!

"Take a number, you psycho bitch!" Kurai hissed as she jumped off of Jin, rolled, charged for Ts'ao and Asuka! "If anyone's got a right to kill him, it's me!"

Jin knocked Minoru away from the lava which splashed against a building instead! The eel hound turned toward Asuka and Ts'ao where Kurai kicked out Ts'ao's legs. He fell to the ground and she went for Asuka! Asuka fired ball after ball of fire, dodged Kurai as she swung her halberd, kicked Kurai in the face and sent the woman flying! But Kurai was quick to recover as she rolled, jumped for Asuka and came crashing down to cleave Asuka in two!

One of Ts'ao's boulders struck her in the shoulder and sent her flying! She landed on the ground but got up in time to see Asuka recover and Ts'ao move to her side! She got to her feet as a ball of molten lava formed and came hurling at her! She dodged it but barely--as the lava struck her in the side and she went flying back! She slammed into something, heard glass shatter! Her shoulder was still aching from Ts'ao's boulder and the scorching mark on her side didn't help things either!

Kurai clenched her teeth and tried to move ... So much for making it out of the city ... But she slowly got to her feet, tightened her grip on the halberd! But Ts'ao jumped and landed hard on the ground, sending a piece of rock flying out of the ground and kicking it at Kurai! She flew backwards again and landed on some debris, something sharp and metal piercing her through the ribs, right through!

This time ... Yeah, she was pretty sure she was done for.

"KURAI!"

Minoru saw her fly into the rubble and ran to her. She had come back, she had saved him. He turned towards Asuka and Ts'ao, looking from them to Kurai, they were turning away, their enemy beaten, their glory awaiting then at the palace.

Jin padded softly over to Minoru and butted him gently turning to the stricken Kurai. Minoru ran to her kneeling over her, Jin behind him. "Kurai, I.. you..." he knelt next to her his face an unreadable mask as he checked her over, then seeing that she would be alright, at least well enough to move he cradled her head brushing the hair from her eyes. "Don't worry Kurai. I'm not losing you again." he turned his face away his eyes closed tight trying to stop the flow of tears welling up inside him.

He looked back down at her his cheeks wet. lips moving if barely a whisper. [size=-2]"I love you."[/size] Supporting her shoulders and legs, cradling her like a child he picked her up and sat her in front of him in Jin's saddle before taking the eel hound's reins in one hand and keeping the other around her urging Jin forwards towards the only place close enough and safe enough where Kurai could be healed, the palace.

"Don't worry Kuku, I've got you."

Kurai groaned. She didn't remember closing her eyes but then she opened them. She was pretty sure she was hallucinating at this point. It looked like Minoru but ... it couldn't be him! But he was calling her Kuku and there was Jin ... Jin would never let anyone else ride him! Maybe she was already dead ... Or dying. For some reason, that thought didn't disturb her as much as she'd thought it would. "Minoru ... I'm sorry ... I guess ... I guess I didn't do a good job, did I ..." She was aware of them moving but again, she was dying. What did she care what happened to her body. It hurt to breathe, it hurt to think. She was really tired ... A nap sounded like a good idea ... She was so gone at this point. She could even smell Minoru, feel his skin ... Hallucination or not, she lifted a hand and touched his face. Fate had taken him away from her again!

"I missed you ... They said you were dead ... They said ... things ... I told them ... I told them I would find your body ... But I failed ... I died ... I can't take your body back for a decent burial ..." There were tears in her eyes. He deserved a decent burial. He was a hero, her husband! Anger at the world that had brought them together only to separate them, regret that Minoru would never know how she felt about him! Kurai pulled her necklace off, the one with the signet ring. "This ... belongs to you ... Take care of Jin for me ... I love you ..."

She closed her eyes. So much for dying with dignity. She was going to die, the love of her life was far away, and the world was going up in flames ...

She has babbling, possible delirious but her words found their mark. His hand closed around hers that help the ring. "You're not going anywhere, don't fall asleep on me. Come on you found me you can't die." Jin's motion was jostling her hand he held her tighter, protectively against himself. His arm was slick with her blood and he knew she was hurt badly. "I'm not going to let anything happen to you."

They rode through the palace gates to relative safety and immediately guards came to help them. They took Kurai on a make-shift stretcher and lay her with the other wounded where stranded waterbenders did that they could. One of them, an aged woman bent over Kurai and with her art felt at the wounds on her side and back with efficient skill, the burns fading and Minoru still clutched her hand. Then the healer stood and gave Minoru a stern look taking him to the side.

"She'll be alright she just needs rest, the babys fine too, you know you really shouldn't let your pregnant wife fight firebenders." She moved off to tend to other patience leaving him alone with her. He looked at her face kneeling down and placed her pearl necklace in her hand before kissing her. "You're safe now Kuku."

Shao watched as the woman on the Eel hound bolted down without even a trace of recognition, obviously not hearing him. Shao fell to the ground, panting, finding himself oddly tired, his heart pounding. His arm and head ached, but it didn't seem to be anything too serious. In the background, the sounds of combat was still heard, though it had died down a bit, either from moving to a farther location or from a lack of combatants. Shao realized he was all alone, and while the thought troubled him slightly, he figured it was better than being with a fire bender, like the ones that that air bender had saved him from. At least he thought he was an air bender. What he did could've easily been replicated by a fan, though Shao didn't recall seeing one.

Shaking his head, Shao stood up, having to steady himself against the wall as a lightheaded-ness washed over him, disturbing his balance. He wanted to go back and save those who had been hurt. He was sure to know some of them and wanted to protect them. But all he could do was run, like the coward he was. He punched the wall in anger and frustration, before immediately regretting it and shaking his hand, cursing under his breath. He felt something running down his face and, though he initially thought it was blood again, realized it was fresh tears that he was crying. Upon realizing this, he broke down, overcome with a sense of weakness and uselessness.

Eventually he steadied himself, wiped the tears from his eyes and face, and looked up. To the normal eye, all there was before him was a complex maze of alleyways between high earthen buildings, but Shao knew exactly where he was. He figured that, if he wanted to live to see another day, he should head to the palace. Maybe then he could find a way to be of use to someone. So, without further adieu, he began to run though the alleyways, making his way over to the palace, his last hope for sanctuary.

Suzumi nodded, not liking the fact that Fei was separating from her but she understood. Fei wasn't her little sister even though Suzumi felt that kind of protectiveness over her. She watched Fei run off and continued up the steps on her own. For the first time since she saw her village massacred she was scared, not only for herself but the innocent citizens of the city. They had done nothing wrong and yet the Fire Nation sought to destroy them.

Suzumi whipped around as a fireball whipped past her and left a scorch mark on the stone stairs. She drew the water out of her bottle on her hip and formed a whip out of water sizzling out another fireball that was launched at her. She spun around and shot a couple water blades at the fire nation soldier, knocking him back and cutting his arms, successfully stopping his bending ability at least for the moment. Suzumi turned back around and continued running up the steps, noticing others doing the same, all trying to reach the palace. "Please be okay Fei..." Suzumi said under her breath, charging up towards the large doors that signified safety to so many.

Fei was, at this point, one of the few people in the city heading towards the fire nation soldiers. They were late, the jerks! She had to spend all that time clinging for dear life onto fragments of wood and hoping that she was paddling towards shore, and now they show up and start wrecking the place...

Still, she couldn't wait to see the look on her father's face when she said hi! She really hoped Suzumi would make it out okay...

As she ran up towards the firebender lines, some of the men opened fire on her-okay, simple mistake, there were a lot of men, and not all of them would have met her. She turned a bit and ran around them, doing some minor firebending to direct the blasts just off course to hit her.

It didn't take too long to find the commander (..s?) on their mounts. "Ah, Da-"
Wait. No. Neither of those people were her dad...
"Well, perhaps you can help me anyways. I'm Fei Long, daughter of admiral Shen. He was set to invade this city, but a cyclone kinda messed that up...anyways, I floated around here, so perhaps you can help me get home?"

Kurai groaned softly when Minoru kissed her. At first she thought she had died. But her body ached all over. Okay, so she was alive. She opened her eyes and saw Minoru, then thought she was hallucinating. She squinted and finally lifted her hand to touch him, to see if he would disappear. He didn't.

"Minoru ...?" What was he doing here? He was supposed to have run away with Jin ... Jin! She remembered the Eel Hound and quickly sat up--only to wince in pain and clench her teeth. She was alive--but she certainly wasn't invincible! She felt something in her hand and when she lifted it, she found her necklace! She looked up at him, confused. "Mi-kun ... How did you ..."

He bent his head to her touch staring into her eyes. She was alive, she was ok. He took her hand in his and held it firmly. "You gave it to me. I was in the inn, but.." he held up the hand with her signet ring "..you already knew that." he looked away pulling his cheek away from her fingers but didn't let go of her hand. She should have told him, she should have told him everything. He didn't care if she was a spy.

"The healer said you'll be fine, you just need to rest." his voice was quiet, she hated him, he knew it. She used his pet name but she couldn't mean what she said. "I'll stay with you until you're healed, then.." he left the sentence unfinished, she had until then to tell hm everything, or killed him. or turn him in again. Minoru didn't really care which.

Confused! She was definitely confused! "I don't understand. You said so yourself, I'm a spy. You want to regain your family's honor, don't you? Then you should be trying to kick my ass!" Damnit, there was something wrong here! Injured! Maybe he'd injured himself after all! "You're hurt, aren't you? You're wounded and you don't want to tell me because you're worried I'll faint dead away at the sight of it." As she spoke, she was bending forward and trying to lift his armor or get a peek in!

"No." be cut her hand off, if anyone saw his armour he'd he dragged to a cell. "Its not there," he was forced to look at her not, her face shining with concern wrenched at him. He didn't know what to think anymore. He kept her hand held in his to keep her from revealing his armour and with he other ran his figers through her hair. Her soft hair that was once purest black. He smiled in spite of himself. She had found him, and for the moment anyway he could just pretend she was his again, no matter how fragile the lie was he could believe it.

She blinked when he took her hand but then he started to stroke her hair and that made her heart stop. But it was the look on his face that tore at her and that smile ... Oh gods, his smile! How many times had her heart melted from that smile, just like it was melting now? That smile that made her think of all those happy times during their marriage, when they'd gotten over the first bumps of strangers and became friends and lovers. "Mi ... Mi-kun ..." she whispered. Her eyes swelled with tears. This was the same type of smile he'd given her before he'd left her the first time ... "Please ... Don't do it ... Don't you dare do something stupid again and leave me!" Minoru was a hero, first and foremost, and she took his smile to mean he was going to face that psycho-bitch and her Earth Bending pet just to save everyone.

How did she do it? She always knew what he was thinking before he did. His eyes switched to stare into hers. For a few moments she was his, but no more. Asuka needed to be stopped, for Kurai, for everyone here. His smile gained a sad edge to it and he closed his eyes. He couldn't tell her she was right, and that he had to do this. Instead he pulled her up gently and his arms around her tightly he buried his face against her shoulder stifling his sobs. She couldn't see his face now, she couldn't read his thoughts.

She was speechless, frozen, the tears slid down her face. She had been right, had hit the mark. But as her heart broke, she wished more than anything she hadn't. "... No ..." She whispered even as she lifted one hand to stroke the back of his hair and pulled him close! "You promised," she whispered to him. "You promised you'd stay with me until I was healed. But I'm not healed, okay! Not completely!" Because her heart was breaking and she knew, she knew he was the only man who could ever mend it. "Remember ... remember when we used to lie in bed together ... and we would talk about listening to each other's heart beats. And you said, you said they were starting to beat as one heart ... and not two. I didn't believe you then ... But I believe you now ... I'm sorry ... I'm sorry for everything I did wrong ..."

Iki Ryo made his way down the street, moving his way in out of people. People everywhere, but he didn't let his eyes off the gates. He needed the guards dead, and then his plan to take over the Earth Lord would be easier. Knowing that the guards were the strongest benders in the Earth Nation, Iki would have to move fast and get them all by a surprise attack. Then he saw Asuka and Tas'oe, who Minoru and Kurai were fighting. He watched as Asuka shot something at Minoru and how Kurai protected Minoru, as they both were trying to fight off the two. They didn't last against Asuka, as he noticed that they both got wounded pretty badly. Asuka moved forward. Iki smiled to himself and followed them from behind walls. He wanted to see what they were up to, and if they could help him. It would be risky, and he would have to take off his Earth bending clothes and reveal his firenation clothes and show them Fire bending. But he would have to make sure they believed he was still with the fire lord. If they even thought he was a trader for one second, that could easily get him killed, or at least be taken prisoner.

Then, revealing his identity to them, he would have to make sure it's somewhere private so he wouldn't be shown to any other people besides them. Maybe he should get to the guards first and trick them first before going after Asuka. Iki shook his head as he thought of an idea, but first he would have to become friends with this Asuka... But there were too things that Iki thought about, if he could become close with her, his plan would succeed greatly and the city would be easy to take over, and in the other, if he couldn't become close with her, and she stilled tried to kill him, then the plan wouldn't work and the city could easily try and take back over. He would have to reason with Asuka, but then he was pretty sure that she would have at least heard his name from the Fire Lord at least once. The fire lord knew what Iki was up to, and he wanted Iki to succeed, maybe he sent Asuka to help. He would have to find out on his own. This would be dangerous and risky, but Iki smiled at the thought of something dangerous. This would be more fun than anything he had done in awhile. It put a smile on his face.

He could feel her heartbeat against his skin. Even after all this time their beats were in time, they still had one heart. Her breath was ragged with worry, she wasn't lying. She was still his, he was still hers and a moment passed without though of worry. A singular perfect moment with her in his arms, then the spell died and the magic faded away.

The illusion was over, she could never be his, and he could never be hers. It hit in a wave of feeling, ice cooling his soul and fire running over open woulds and he left her arms. He touch was soothing poison that comforted and corrupted, her eyes....

" .... then in the eyes of the firesages, the firelord and our great nation your lives and your families are forever joined by this unity."

Minoru stood. Ceremonial wedding robes falling around his as the tailor had expertly intended giving the impression of him rising out of the floor. Next to him the veiled and similarly dressed Kurai did the same and at the sound of a small bell they turned around to face the assembled guests. Minoru's eyes fell on the impassive face of his father and the empty seat next to him reserved for his mother's spirit. At the second bell he turned to face the woman next to him, someone he had never met before today his face a mask of duty. Delicately he lifted the veil and saw for the first time the face of his wife....

...dark pools brimming with tears looking into his fearfully. He turned away, standing. "I'm sorry too."

When Shao reached the palace steps, his breath caught in his throat. The the stairs were littered with bodies and fighting earth and fire benders. The doors were open, but held more guards that helped whatever lucky civilian made it up to them inside. While the fire benders hadn't made it up the stairs yet, Shao couldn't help but feel as if it were only a matter of time before they did. He was scared. He knew that, to reach a relative amount of safety, he'd have to brave going through that warzone without being killed. He wasn't like the other guards, he couldn't bring up massive walls of earth, he didn't have the physical strength for that.

Then he noticed a water bender making her way up the stairs, taking out a few firebenders along the way. Figuring that she would be a good attempt as any for some relative protection, he took off after her. He tried to keep his head low and tried to keep himself as unnoticeable as possible so that he could make it through in one piece. While the woman so far seemed unaware that he was following in the wake of her defeated enemies, as long as she kept on winning, that's all he cared about.

Just as the two of them were about to both reach the palace doors, a fireball raced past his head, just missing him. However, the contact was close enough to singe his ear and cause him to flip in the air from the force that was behind that fireball. Landing on the ground with a thud, he saw a fire bender making his way up, grinning and cracking his knuckles as he made way towards him, Shao's head pounding as he lay on the earthen ground helplessly.

Suzumi felt the heat of a fireball fly past her again, she was getting worn out and the amount of water that was nearby was running low. "Crap..." Suzumi said under her breath before turning around again, noticing a person from the Earth Kingdom fallen on the steps. The Firebender that was coming after him had a devious grin on his face.

"STOP!" Suzumi shouted, his gaze turning to her as she pulled the water out of her water bottle and whipped the firebender, knocking him back a little but he returned fire, blasting a fireball directly at her. Suzumi dived to the ground to avoid it narrowly. She glanced back at the Earth Kingdom person and shouted at him "RUN! TO THE PALACE!" She jumped up to her feet and pulled the water again and wrapped it around the firebender and froze it solid, holding him in place. She quickly ran over to the man, "Quickly, we must keep going!" Suzumi helped him to his feet and charged for the open doors. From inside a few earthbender guards came rushing out to begin combating the firebenders. Suzumi ran past them, hoping the Earth Kingdom person was still following her.

What she met was far different then she had been anticipating. The walls and doors were all made out of a strange looking tan stone. She turned down the first hall to the left and followed it, heading then to the right but as she turned around the walls had shifted. "Oh no..."