Ashes to Ashes - OOC & Signups

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
@JextheShadow Well since it's winter all the deadly things are hibernating, but it's not that bad if you're living in the city/suburbs.

China is one of the few areas that tolerate North Korea, if only slightly. An exchange of martial arts would not be unprecedented. The idea of rope darts mainly came across as not the actual martial art, but more as an improvised weapon Jin made on the spot with the materials he could gather. While North Koreans are... secluded from the outside world, it doesn't really factor here considering I just basically used the term of rope dart to describe his self defense tools. Obviously, the stone rope isn't really a rope dart. A fine example is a prisoner, who grows to become highly resourceful with his/her given tools. Example: Shiv from compressed newspaper, or a shotgun from a bed leg.

Personally I find the idea of two Koreans from oppossing sides of the 38th parallel north an intriguing one. What with the history between both their home nations.

The Stone Rope dart is an actual thing or a variant of a variant. There is a variant of the rope dart known as the Meteor Hammer, which is a blunt weight at the end of the rope. Realy cool. And yes that makes sense thanks ^^

@Hisoka I find it interesting as well. It probably ends up having the two character hating each other, which I find rare in the roleplays I've seen.

@FetusMaknae

Though I suppose only Yi Jin-Sook would be actually old enough to clearly remember the reasons behind that big old DMZ. Though I rather think he'd have very little reason for patriotism. Then again I suppose an indirect hatred might be possible. After all one could argue the presence of South Korea and its American and UN allies is the catalyst behind the North Korean adoption of Songun. And it was Songun that truly screwed him over.

Or am I over thinking it?

@Hisoka No, I totally agree with you. But provably at first impression Jae may hold some sort of grunge against Jin-Sook than maybe let it go if he knows a little more about him.

Hey guys, I apologize about there not having been much happen in the last day or so. I had to get a doctor's appointment yesterday, and as part of the shenanigans I had to go on some pretty heavy pain medication, which knocked me out for the better part of 24 hours. On the bright side I did a fair amount of writing while in the waiting room, so after I've done some administrative fiddling we should be good to go. Thanks for your patience.

Okay then, I've finally dragged myself out of virtual hibernation and finished my own character (whose profile turned out to be considerably longer than anticipated, due to writing most of it in a hospital waiting room with bugger-all else to do for nearly an hour). Now that he is done, I'll take the chance to look over those that've been submitted so far and give my initial opinions.

First off, JaxtheShadow.

The character concept is alright. My only real issue is that it could use some more proof-reading. I always run my posts through MS Word before I submit them in order to weed out any annoying grammatical errors I might've inadvertently made, and I'd advise that you do the same. I like to see a relatively high standard of writing in the games I run, and encourage players to do their best to iron out simple yet distracting issues with their posts before submitting them for public view. Approved.

Next,
Hisoka.

I see nothing wrong with the character. He has a bit more firepower than I'm usually happy with allowing at the beginning of my games, but I'll let it slide due to the fact he won't be seeing any refills for a long time. The height is a touch too much, but again I'm able to tolerate it. Your format could do with a little bit of beautifying, but given the issues I've encountered myself when using this forum, I can understand that working with spoiler tags is kind of fiddly and annoying. Approved.

Now we move on to FetusMaknae.

The same advice I have for Jax goes to you. The character concept is sound, but I think you made a typo regarding the height. 7'1 is waaay too tall for my liking. We already have two people over six foot, and I'd prefer it if they were the exception rather than the rule. If you can change that, everything else checks out.

Annnd finally (for now) we have
CrystalScorpion96

Your character is good and bad at the same time. Good in that the profile itself is perfectly solid, but bad in the disadvantages department. If you made him slightly less, well, disadvantaged, I could see him performing a valuable function in a potential group. Otherwise, I'd say he hasn't a hope in hell. All those illnesses in one body is effectively a death sentence, and I doubt anybody would even want to go near him for fear of catching them.

Alright then, that covers everything so far. I'd encourage people that haven't gotten their characters done to do so quickly, and take note of the advice given above. Remember, I'm here if you need any consultation.

@Jeran Korak
Thank you for the feedback, I'll fix my character's height right away. I just thought that I'll just go with my character usual height (the same height as the face claim's) because honestly, I don't know how tall is too tall. I also changed the character's bio a bit as well, please let me know if you like that one better.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Jeran Korak Thank you! I will be using your advice in the future. I just get ahead of myself sometimes when I write and I never end up rereading when I post. I'll attempt to control my enthusiasm in the future. ^^

You know I have to say I find the idea of the CRMV being labelled terrorists rather odd. I mean since when is defending the rights of your country considered terrorism? Or is this simply that old cliche of one man's freedom fighter is another's terrorist?

Hmm...I might actually use that in the IC if my character's past ever comes up.

It's a morally grey area. On the one hand the USA was in the wrong to invade, but on the other a lot of what the CRMV did ended up making things worse. Either way, it didn't change the inevitable outcome of the situation in the slightest.

Is there room for another character? Y'all are rather lacking in ladies, and people actually from England. Figure I could fill that gap, if you'd like.

Right on! I'll get to work and have a character up tonight.

Name: Dr. Barry D. Hulbrook

Height: 5'11''

Weight: 140 lbs.

Nationality: English

Physical Description: Rather tall and lanky, Barry has dirty-blonde hair and a pale complexion that adds a striking contrast to his electric-blue eyes . He has been skinny his whole life, so he doesn't seem odd-looking because of it. Despite all that happened, he tries to keep up his appearance by carefully cutting his own hair and methodically shaving every morning along with keeping himself clean and sanitary (which only gets harder and harder each day).

~~---Knowledge & Attributes---~~

Skills: Keeping calm under stressful situations. Extensive knowledge in medicine, science, math, biology and chemistry from college. Spending time with his uncle as a teenager, Barry has some skills in mechanics.

Advantages: Barry has a very strong intellect, having a masters in medicine and a bachelor's in science because of it. He also has exceptional endurance and a good dexterity (with his hands. He's very poor at sneaking, though.)
Disadvantages: One major disadvantage is he has no fighting experience. He isn't very strong and his charisma could be better. Also, he sometimes suffers from severe migraines which last at least 4 hours.
~~---Inventory---~~

Worn Items: Jeans or canvas pants, military boots, long-sleeved button up dress shirts and a tie. Has a few suit jackets. Has a wristwatch, but the battery is dead.

Owned Items: All he owns, he carries with him at the moment. He does have a car, but he left it behind and it isn't worth mentioning.

Personal Inventory: Carries a backpack with limited medical supplies (basically disinfectants, gauze and such. But almost exhausted) and a surgeon's kit. Has some spare clothes, maps and a notebook with some ink pens. Has one bar of soap left and only a small amount of tooth paste. He collects lighters, having 5 bic lighters and two zippos. Has a can opener and some canned food at the start of the RP.

~~---Past History---~~

Barry grew up in a moderate house in Bristol, England. He lived in West Town, just off the A370 Main Road, and would sneak out with his friends to the Backwell Recreation Grounds to play. His father was a surgeon in West Town, and that is what Barry wanted to be. Barry received a scholarship to the Imperial College of London, and moved to a small apartment just off of Park Street. He completed his college and became a surgeon at the London Bridge Hospital.

He was 25 then, when the oil burning was all the talk. He knew that things were going to get bad, and was shocked that it was happening. Honestly, at that time, he didn't think that it would effect the world- let alone England the way it did eight years later. He figured gas prices would go up, but then after a few years everything would return to normal. It didn't.

Things just kept getting worse and worse, and many nights he slept in the hospital rather than going home. The hours were long, and people were going crazy. Eventually, all the supplies were exhausted and power was out. Most of his colleagues were murdered by a rioting group that didn't believe they couldn't help them. They thought they were hiding supplies rather than save them. That was the day Barry escaped, and is making his way south along the M1 Motorway.

I've finally finished mine. (>~<) I've been super busy over the week, but I hope it's acceptable, and would appreciate any feedback.

@Elyasi

I gotta say that is some pretty exotic weaponry your character has got there.

Alright then, that'll be enough characters to make a start, although I have no intention of closing signups within the foreseeable future. I'll have the in-character thread created within the next few hours. In the meantime, a little last-minute feedback for Elyasi as requested.

The character falls squarely into my 'perfectly fine, apart from one nitpick' category. Everything works quite nicely, but as Hisoka pointed out above, the choice of weaponry is a little too exotic. The UK is pretty paranoid about most weapons, and while those with utility uses are legal to possess (hunting knifes, etc), I'm reasonably certain that something like a Wind Fire Wheel wouldn't fall into that category. There's no real explanation for how she came about them in her history (I was fine with CS96's weapon mostly because it was something he made himself, through reasonable means), so on balance I'd have to ask you to change it. A knife and even a gun is acceptable under certain circumstances, but exotic weaponry less justifiable. Change that and we're good to go, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.