Another Horizon

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man. This is going to be a massive culling.

@Voltin @Psyker Landshark @Zombehs @Click This @Asuras @R-9 Pilot @Skyswimsky

Alright, real talk here. If I did not constantly nag you all for posts, which one of you would have actually gotten their post in by the deadline, which happened to be today?

The second question. Who actually wants to stay? I promise not to be salty if you straight up leave or drop, though in Skys' case, I'll have a good laugh. If you do intend on staying, I really don't want to spend most of my time nagging you like mad, so I won't from now on.

The third question. What exactly did you expect out of this RP?

The fourth question. What have I done wrong? Because this is the third time, and it doesn't really look like third is the charm.

The fifth question. In general, do you think that RPs that require lots of aggressive, non-GM directed actions are a chore, or are fun? Do you want more railroad (at the expense of basically not having any decisions at all), or more (possibly leading up to dead ends or pointless posts) freedom? At this point, I've pretty much tried the exact opposite of EH, where I didn't PM any scripted actions, but this doesn't seem to work too well either.

And yes, I'm actually getting really salty and disappointed, which is why I used the OOC the first place.

I'll say I probably would have? At the same time I probably also could have gotten it in a lot earlier though, which I'll try to do.

I'm interested in staying, not really sure what I expected out of this RP except for something interesting to write for. Not really a big disappointment on that front. Will say I did enjoy EH, even if Araki got worfed like a beanbag, because a lot more actually happened?

I mean I'm pretty sure EH would have been fine if it wasn't for RPG dying.

Leaving leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth, so I'm in for staying. Probably would have to sort some things though.

Honestly, EH was fine. I liked it how it was going. I probably should have recycled Lyra like Zombs did with Araki. I've felt I've been writing Charlotte wrong, so I've been getting less writing out of her character than I normally would have. I guess, with that and not much to write about, put me in a slump. I came in expecting fantasy shenanigans, which we're getting, but I suppose things are getting a bit drawn out which doesn't help much.

I'd say, railroad is bad, and a complete hands-off approach doesn't always work... So the middle road is the best.

@Voltin @Psyker Landshark @Zombehs @Click This @Asuras @R-9 Pilot @Skyswimsky

Alright, real talk here. If I did not constantly nag you all for posts, which one of you would have actually gotten their post in by the deadline, which happened to be today?

The second question. Who actually wants to stay? I promise not to be salty if you straight up leave or drop, though in Skys' case, I'll have a good laugh. If you do intend on staying, I really don't want to spend most of my time nagging you like mad, so I won't from now on.

The third question. What exactly did you expect out of this RP?

The fourth question. What have I done wrong? Because this is the third time, and it doesn't really look like third is the charm.

The fifth question. In general, do you think that RPs that require lots of aggressive, non-GM directed actions are a chore, or are fun? Do you want more railroad (at the expense of basically not having any decisions at all), or more (possibly leading up to dead ends or pointless posts) freedom? At this point, I've pretty much tried the exact opposite of EH, where I didn't PM any scripted actions, but this doesn't seem to work too well either.

And yes, I'm actually getting really salty and disappointed, which is why I used the OOC the first place.
I don't really know about GM deadlines but I would have posted today. I did plan to(well you heard that too often so whatever) yesterday but something happened that made me really salty and I pretty much just got to sleep after venting a bit. Also "today" means in the next 18 hours.

I do intend to stay if you let me, either way, I won't let you have fun by laughing at me :V!

What I expected out of this rp? BANDWA- I know you are a good GM who makes good roleplays and I know the other people here around too. Thinking about it, the setting is really just some standard fantasy thing, no offense, but that isn't a bad thing if executed well? Yeah, pretty much bandwagon... .

Can't really tell you what you did wrong, I only really rped two times myself(The other times you pushed and 'helped' me I don't really count) and those died pretty quickly and I learned out of those mistakes. I mean, I don't know any better than you in what you did wrong.

As click said, Railroading is bad but a too hands-off approach is terrible too. Give players a environment with hints towards choices that they can do? For example I take Tsu's roleplay, we had a rather closed environment with a few locations "worth" exploring and a bit of stuff happening at each. Now, Tsu was, and still is, dumb enough to just railroad and deny you your 'sneak in into the palace and hit on the princess' thing, maybe it would have ended up in a dead end? But it still wouldn't have been black hardo railroading. Currently doing stuff with Aresia just feels too loose/aimless. Now maybe this is me being a terrible roleplayer that didn't get any of the "hints"(If you give players choices that matter and they still walk away from it...well, too bad for them) you gave me? I am also hung up if following the airship "on foot" is "too extreme" because my meta knowledge tells me it is the right direction but a rumour is just a rumour...on the other hand Aresia would do the extreme to serve her employer and rumours usually always have a grain of truth.

Another thing, for me is, the world doesn't feel too "alive" at all. This is just me personally but I am not a fan of pure slice-of-life and while this is not "slice-of-life" we only have our "own quarrels" to deal with. There is no obvious/visible conflict or something going on that could change the world from one day to the next. All nations are at peace with a few bad, but not too troublesome, international conflicts, that cool mech nation closed their borders since eternity and rift beast are a joke. I am sure you building up to there and obviously you can't do it any faster if people are not posting. But there is a certain lack of motivation to read because of this.

In other words, and now thinking about it, a main-plot is missing? Open-world doesn't work unless you have a huge (dedicated) player base with a alive/interesting world(that makes you want to "explore"), and as I said in the paragraph above, the world does not feel alive.

EDIT: Also, but that is just me, I am a sucker for dice-rolls. You have to apply dice-rolls smart though, basically ask yourself 'is there an alternative if they roll low?'. Like, what would have happened if both Aresia and Fion didn't find any real information? That was, in my opinion, a not needed roll. Of course you shouldn't shower the roleplay with "death" either(I am fine with people dying, less fine if I really like the char I am playing) but death should not be completely left to RNG thing... now, everything stupid/heroic shouldn't be punished either because that would make it stale/keep people from ever trying but that also depends on the roleplayer.

I would've gotten my post in. Hell, I got it in earlier than the deadline this time.

Intend on staying.

EH was fine as is, really. Or at least me, Volt, and Zom could've carried it through to the end. I just really liked playing Fion and I was just kinda sad we cut it off during a pretty big development moment for him.

As for railroading, I have a preference for a balance, but leaning slightly more towards sandbox. Or at least free form solutions to problems. The ship capture kind of annoys me right now because I have literally nothing I can do with Alexa. Being weaponless and depowered, her captors have to give her an opening to escape, or she has to rely on Ashe to punch shit out, which she can't anymore.

I probably would have posted, although I do seem to have less and less time these days. I'd still do my best to keep up with my RPs and things, it doesn't take very long. But life gets busy, and it's particularly busy this month because I have a goddamn class that's honestly kinda worthless/crappy, is required by the graduate school, and takes a LOT of work. On the plus side, it's over in, like, early October.

I could go either way. I haven't been around very long, so disappearing isn't going to affect much. On the other hand, I'd rather not just run off into the night just because I could. So, really not sure where I stand there, beyond keeping up with obligations, even hobby ones, is a thing I try to do. (Though, if it comes to hobbies versus school/work, hobbies lose until I get tired of school/work).

I have no clue. Fantasy adventure with weeaboo fighting magic?

I haven't seen enough to know what you may or may not have done wrong, but some of the others have brought up some good points. I will say this, every GM tends to think their game is really shitty, regardless of how well it's going over player-side. I still feel like I'm absolutely terrible whenever I run a game. Try not to let it get to you.

Honestly, I kind of hate pure player-driven sandbox games. I am not good at making my own goals and forcing them upon an unsuspecting world. I will also say this, because I think it's important in the discussion, giving players some direction, plot hooks, and so-on is not railroading. Railroading is when players not only do not have any choice, but any choices they attempt to make are actively quashed, because they must follow the script. Railroading is the game being about going from cutscene to cutscene, with no player agency at all.

Ok, so, that out of the way. I find one of the most effective ways to GM, if you have a plot and such, is to sort of put things in front of the PCs no matter what they do. If you get creative, you don't even need to do more than slightly alter your planned material. Anything the PCs haven't seen/encountered yet can happen anywhere and any time. Basically, even if it's just the illusion of choice, because you're essentially building the railroad just a little ahead of the train, it's all that matters to keeping PCs happy.

A sandbox game really does take a good, active world. Things have to be happening which the PCs may or may not even do anything to. One of the games I was in worked this way, and it was really good. We didn't have time to do every sidequest we could follow, and it meant our choices mattered, because the world went on without us, and the stuff we didn't go poke thus went on without us having a say in it. This was good. Give me a vague direction or three I could go in, and I'm happy. Running such a game is a lot of work, though. And, of course, without those sidequest hooks or things PCs could go and do, there isn't much to go on, so those players who aren't good at making things completely on the fly will suffer because they don't know what to do or where to go. So, if you want stuff mostly player-driven, make sure the players have some things to do.

Post up. They're due on Sunday.

Asuras, you can mill about. I'll give you the details of the room, if you choose to go in there.

Skys, tell me what Aresia does, and I'll give you the results. After she gets in, the engine will roar.

Zombs, Click, you can get your kids out of the walls now, with varying amounts of difficulty.

R-9, wait till Zombs and Click post.

Psyker, I'll message you.

Voltin, wait for Psyker. I know it's a death sentence most of the time, but deal with it.

May the RNJesus be with me, unlike the rest of these people.

It was not with me wholly, but enough is enough.

Rollan for Volt because Rodey told me to.

Rolling for rule breaker desu.

Time for some jinxed dice!

Is it tiem for rip?

Alright, we're reaching chapter end.

Two days for this round, because Asu and Skys are both sleeping.

Zombs, Click, R-9, tell me where your kids go and what they do in the Skype, and I'll respond accordingly.

Volt, Psykers, respond accordingly. Psykers, try to post ASAP.

This round is three days.

For Skys, this round is two days.

Asuras, I'll give you a description of your room later.

This round is three days, ending on Saturday.

Skys, you have two days. Finish yours by Friday.

Asuras, I'm so tempted to tell you that you have one day, because tomorrow is your post-everything day, but I won't. XD

Important self-proclaimed diiice throw~

Rolling the die of fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.