Animus Veritas: Humanity's Last Home

When does the Walrus bacon?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless you're deviating from the 2 weeks from last post standard, then next GM lost should be on July 6th since the previous one was on June 22nd.

Either way, I'm gonna post today.

Unless you're deviating from the 2 weeks from last post standard, then next GM lost should be on July 6th since the previous one was on June 22nd.

Either way, I'm gonna post today.
The next GM post will arrive July 3rd, Friday. If you want some questions answered by NPC's, just PM me the questions and I'll reply from the perspective of the NPC, which you can add to your post.
Technically I'm giving an extra day to push it to Saturday the 4th. :ferret:

Talked to Brovo. I am pulling out of this RP. I wish ya'll luck <3.

Middle-deck is fucked.

sorry if i missed it, but are you still accepting? thanks.

sorry if i missed it, but are you still accepting? thanks.
Not at present. We're locked into missions right now. When this wave of missions is over, I'll be accepting new characters. :ferret:

• Thank You
Reactions: Romaan
I just posted. There wasn't much to do, but Steven's going out of his way to try and gather useful info on the creature. Hopefully Animus Veritas can help us speak to or easily dispatch this creature.

@Brovo completely forgot, but since Kholar is no longer a character and the sibling bond trait is no longer able to be in effect for Kyine, we had talked about replacing her ability. Just thought about a replacement:

Spirit of the Hunt: Kyine was raised amidst hunters and so is intimate with the hunt and their ways. Passive bonus when fighting primitive beasts and diplomacy with primitive societies.

Four little Indian Boys going out to sea;
A red herring swallowed one and then there were three.

Negotiation/diplomacy has failed, onto the take down...

Negotiation/diplomacy has failed, onto the take down...
Character knowledge: i did not hear you trying to negotiate. I only see a creature holding a weapon at all of you that I have a clear chance to disable :D

This is largely the same as the Tutorial. It'll come along with each action log so you can reference it if need-be. It may be updated over time to reflect refinements to the system.

These are mostly key terms so you can understand the Action Log. The Action Log is recorded every post and details what the GM perceives the actions in your post to be, summarized succinctly. Keep in mind that teamwork is encouraged. Non-risky options increase your survivability, but also increase the odds that you will fail side objectives and/or increase the odds someone else will be hit instead of you.

In essence: Working together = good. Strategies = good. Rambo = Live free, die very badly.

Rounds: # specifies which posting round the RP is in. This will generally have no use to you unless you have timed abilities. (As a rule of thumb, 15 seconds is the length of the average combat round. Standard laser rifles and the like can fire once and recharge in that time frame. Non-combat rounds have no time rules.)

Ranged Attack Modifiers
  • Unless otherwise specified or described, ranged attacks with no modifiers are considered snap shots: No bonuses, no negatives.
  • Aimed: Bonuses to chance to hit and critical hit chance, negatives to dodge and perception chances. Check your corners...
  • Reaction Fire: Your character is protecting someone and hasn't fired that turn, resulting in a free shot during the GM round that can intercept enemies before they can harm friends. Especially low rolls or evasive enemies make this harder to hit.
  • Firing on the Move: Lowers the chance to hit, slightly increases odds of evasion.
  • Firing Blindly: You're firing from cover without looking. High negatives to hit, high bonuses to not being hit. As a note: Cover in general increases your odds of survival.

Melee Attack Modifiers
  • Unless otherwise specified or described, melee attacks with no modifiers are considered standard strikes: No bonuses, no negatives, character will interrupt their own attack with a defensive measure if they believe their attack would get them killed. Note if: No guarantees they won't miss something!
  • Defensive: Character is fighting defensively, increases odds of resisting or evading blows, decreases odds of hitting targets effectively.
  • Aggressive: Character is fighting offensively, increases odds of hitting targets effectively and critical hit chance, decreases odds of dodging or blocking attacks.
  • Berserk: Character has decided to abandon all defensive measures to mercilessly destroy a thing. Bonus resistance to pain, massively lowered defense stats, massively increased offense stats.
  • Bodyguard: Character is physically protecting someone else. Behaves akin to Reaction Fire, except with a shield (if available) and melee weapon to prevent harm to their friends.
  • Charge: Character is rapidly advancing towards a target, sacrificing some defense for increased evasion and the chance to knock a target down if they connect.

NPC Modifiers
  • Behaviours: These specify why an NPC is doing the thing it's doing.
    • Independent: NPC is behaving of their own initiative, which dependent on personality, may or may not be helpful for you.
    • Under Orders: NPC is doing as told. Note that if an NPC doesn't like you or believes your orders are senseless suicide, they'll likely disobey you and return to Independent status.
    • Panicking: NPC is panicking and isn't useful to you. They might listen to people who tell them which direction to flee in, or where to duck and hide. You'll likely need to console them to bring them back to their wits. This can apply to enemies as well, which allows you to force them to surrender.

Objectives are listed next to squads/groups, listing what task your squad/group has either been assigned or has taken on themselves. (Primary) objectives have significant influence in a story, but don't necessarily spell a 'game over' screen for failure. (Secondary) objectives are generally bonuses you should achieve if you can, which can help your cause or character on a personal or national level. (Tertiary) objectives are entirely optional and rarely have any negative effect if failed.

NAT means someone effectively failed to post that round, generally.

Reasoning is sometimes used to illuminate why an NPC acted the way they did.

Round 4.

Lower Deck Team (Retrieval Squad):
Non-Combat. (Primary) Retrieve a piece of the ship's core.
  1. Alkazar: Declares himself leader because... He has metal tentacles?
    1. Three anti-plant mortar rounds. Two FAE (?) shells, fragmentation shell, low yield.
  2. Kiera Hanlon: Setting up a trap for the hall they don't take, creating parts for Damsel.
    1. Two HE Grenades, Five Frag Grenades. (Inventoried from Materializer Box.)
  3. Ruth Tobias Sampson: Asks for someone to make parts for Damsel. Peers down right path, gun ready.
  4. Kholar Lherox (NPC): Deserved worse.
  5. Kyine Lherox: Goes ahead with Clyde.
  6. Irving "IV" Forfax: Attempts to analyze corpse after directing Clyde to the entrance of the left path.
  7. (NPC) Marietta Cowen: Set up position in Silicone Room. (Independent.)
Upper Deck Team (Rescue Squad): Non-Combat. (Primary) Find and rescue Egidia Fullcrum.
  1. Varsel Crossford: Varsel takes a protective stance at the doorway to the room.
  2. Steven Jones: Attempts to scan the creature with SALUS and ask Veritas on what to do. Asks Zeetch to try and talk to the creature.
  3. Morris Heller: Watching for trouble attracted by the noise.
  4. Aimee Vera: Attempts to disarm the creature from above.
  5. Sade Bilbrey: Attempts to communicate with creature, suggests moving 'a bit' closer to the helmet.
  6. Gerrit: (Has left the RP.)
  7. (NPC) Zeetch Vanderfeld: Attempted negotiation with bug, got helmet back for Veritas. (Independent.)
Middle Deck Team (Rescue Squad): Non-Combat. (Primary)
  1. April "Anthony" Abel: North of console, tranquilizer gun out.
  2. Kain: Follows after the medic (Anthony).
  3. Thoko Ekhinos: Takes over console duty from Katrina, asks Veritas for aid in data scanning.
  4. Linus Umber Kristoph Agatha 'Screecher' Love: (Has left the RP.)
  5. Nolan Belle: (Has left the RP.)
  6. (NPC) Katrina Molnya: Fixed power supply to console. (Independent.)

The next GM post will arrive July 18th, Saturday. If you want some questions answered by NPC's, just PM me the questions and I'll reply from the perspective of the NPC, which you can add to your post.

I'd also like to quickly remind everyone that if you choose not to do anything, I won't be able to further the story. I need at least two of you on each deck doing something to advance the plot. Others can back them up, that's fine, but a lack of actions is pretty poisonous to pacing. :ferret: You can also contact Animus Veritas at any time. The ship AI is always there to help you unless otherwise stated by me.

Special mention to @Jakers & @Grif ♥ as y'all both did really good posts that enabled others to do things. Thank you. :ferret:

EVERYONE: Seeing as how we've got a bleed-off of players occurring, I'm gonna pull out an old trick from my GM hat. Expect these missions to close sooner rather than later, so we can stymie the death of this RP from player abandonment. Whoever is still around for the second wave of missions is far less likely to leave, after all. :ferret: For those on the middle deck, you may get shuffled to the top or lower decks via illusion of choice if player bleedoff turns out to cripple you.

AV's hittin' a hard point, but she ain't dead yet. SO KEEP POSTING! Let's keep it alive!

• Thank You
Reactions: Jakers and Helios
Communicating without words? Relying on body language and hand gestures?

Well, well, well. Looks like having a lifelong mute character ISN'T SO COMPLETELY STUPID AFTER ALL! :neener:

Perfect hindsight aside, we should try being completely civil about this. Zeetch was able to get up close to the creature without being attacked, so it's not openly hostile in the sense that lowering our defenses will lead to it attacking us. I suggest that we all lower our defenses, allow Zeetch to get all the info he can on the helmet and try convincing the big, ugly dangerous bug to be our new friend. Steven, used to not relying on words, will try the communicating.

To make sure we don't have a casualty, it might be good for Aimee to leave the room and have Morris take a look at that scratch. Beyond that, I don't know what everyone else is going to do, but so long as it doesn't involve attacking the bug again it doesn't really concern me or my character.

So Steven's actions are going to be:

1. Telling the group to stand down.
2. Telling Aimee to leave the room and get her wound looked at.
3. Trying to convince the alien that the group means no harm and was trying to find the helmet's owner.

I have a partially-written post put together and will send it to Brovo so I can see how the bug reacts. So what do all you other Upper Deck people think?

UPDATE

The post is up. Sorry for Steven taking charge, but he's the man for the job and, more importantly, he thinks he's the man for the job. You may not like his methods but dammit he gets results. Also, I tried to exercise a little not-meta-gaming and write from the perspective of Steven having no idea about the skittering thing that Sade saw in the other room. Sade may, in the aftermath of the human-bug pantomimes, want to bring the bug to the skittery thing, because it's probably what the bug's looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Brovo
I'm sure that giving Kiera a hug will teach her to become a more sociable, friendly, and open person.

That is what I hope.

@Grif ♥ Yeah, that'll totally happen. :P

@Kadaeux By "his compatriot" do you mean Kiera, since she's the other techie in the group?

Alright. Guess that plus the other interactions aimed at Kiera means I'll have to do a second post this round.

Status
Not open for further replies.