Angels and Demons

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
He spoke quietly, leaning against the doorframe as he looked at her. She needed to eat, needed something to give her energy. His voice was soft, worried for her. He wasn't angry, wasn't upset, right now he was only worried about his friend.

"When was the last time you had something to eat? You look ill, no offense meant. Would you like me to make you something?"

His question wasn't what she expected at all, and she actually had to think about it for a minute. Time all ran together when one had the curtains drawn and slept at odd intervals all during the day and night. Short bursts of sleep were what carried her through now, and she didn't even know how many weeks she had been locked up in her room. After a little while, she managed to roughly judge the time, though she had no way of knowing if she was accurate.

"A few days or so. I'm not hungry," she said simply, then stepped back slightly and rested her slightly shaking hand on the door. "I'm going back to bed."

Datenshi put his foot in the door, but made no other movement. She was breaking. She was letting everything hurt her. He spoke, looking directly into those dull yet still beautiful eyes.

"Kaethe, please don't shut out the world. Where's the strong, amazingly fiery beautiful bitch who could take anything down with the flick of a wrist? Where's the woman I fell so madly in love with? What hurt you, Kaethe? You're stronger than anything or anyone I have ever seen, and here you are, letting yourself break. You need to eat, you're worrying me. Please, just come downstairs and eat lunch with me and Seren? Please, Kaethe, if not for me then for you. And if not for me or you, then for her."

He held out his hand in a friendly gesture, nothing menacing or spiteful or tricky about it. He honestly was worried, possibly even scared for her.

Kaethe was silent, not looking at him as she listened to him expressing his worries. She knew that she was pale and had lost a startling amount of weight for somebody who was already slender. Some people would kill to be able to see their ribs like she could if she pulled this shirt up. She didn't care about eating, and she knew that Seren probably wouldn't care if Kaethe didn't come out and eat lunch. After all, Datenshi had already said that she was tired. A built-in excuse. Shaking her head slightly, she dodged most of his questions.

"I'm not hungry," she repeated quietly, her stomach twisted with a faintly painful twinge as she thought of eating. Food would hurt too much, she figured. "Go have fun with Seren," she murmured, turning away and trudging back over to the bed without bothering to close the door since his foot was in the way. He'd probably give up and close it himself. She paused when she was nearly back to the bed, hesitating for just a moment before she collapsed, unconscious. Perhaps she'd get her wish after all.

Making his half-moon reading spectacles float in front of him out of boredom, Ornias walked down one of the many hallways. He had been lost in thought, many of them being about the rest of the people in the house. It had been a couple of weeks since they had arrived there and barely a thing moved inside. He sighed exasperated. His life with the mortals had been more entertaining than his stay in the mansion with other immortals, at least he actually had things to do, people to talk to and places to go. Without even thinking twice about it, he let his glasses drop from mid-air as he stared at the little girl that skipped happily down the hall. Ornias raised his hands slowly to his face and rubbed his eyes with his palms. He looked again, even more confused. 'My, my, have I gone that crazy from lack of interaction?' He raised both eyebrows and waved slightly. Not that he was going to talk to her, but he was still curious about this girl roaming a house where she could encounter a deathly demon or, if she was lucky, an Angel. He cleared his throat. "Oi! Young lady?"

As he got out of the mansion, the wind playing around with his baggy green pants, Ru'mel let out a content sigh. The day wasn't neither too hot nor too cold, and the fresh breeze felt delightful against his skin. His ragged wings extended fully behind him, a couple of feathers toucking the ground as he flapped them. With a crack of his neck and a mighty flap he took to the skies, spinning around swiftly and slowly. But never as good as Ornias he thought. He furrowed his brow, trying to understand why he always caught himself thinking of the Angel. Sure, he had behaved around him like a lover does with its mate...but it had to be different around him. Ornias was indifferent, uncaring to an extent and maybe a little smug at times. Ru'mel had loved that of him. He chuckled under his breath and smirked, secretly thinking of a way to win the heart of that amusing Fallen.

Datenshi watched her as she trudged to her bed, then he stiffened as she paused. When her legs gave out, he dove and caught her in his arms, lifting her easily. She was lighter than Seren, almost. He sighed gently and shook her head gently, carrying her out her door and down the hall to his room where he rested her in his bed, covering her up and brushing the back of his hand against her forhead, feeling how hot she was before he realized Seren wasn't there. He poked his head out the door and looked around, slight worry eating at him.

"Seren?"

Seren stopped as she heard a male voice behind her that wasn't D's. She stopped and turned around, her eyes wide in fear before she squeaked and bolted for Datenshi's door, running straight into his arms and clinging to his neck. Datenshi bowed a bit to Ornias and smiled gently.

"Dearest Seren, he isn't going to hurt you, I promise. I'll never let anyone hurt you. Come on, I need to go get something from the fridge. Would you like me to make you a sandwich?"

Seren's stomach growled as if on cue and she nodded. Datenshi closed the door after checking on Kaethe one last time then he headed downstairs, where he made the girl a penut butter and jelly sandwich and grabbed a pint of warm blood for Kaethe. She needed it. He was truthfully worried for her.

A bit baffled with the little girl's reaction, Ornias made a gesture with his head to the man that the girl had run to and grinned. 'Interesting...' he mused to himself and dug his hands in his back pockets, his wings twitching slightly behind him. He lowered his eyebrows and raised his head, trying to listen to what the man was saying to the youngling. He had never in his life eavesddropped on someone, but his curiosity got the best of him this time. The man--a demon, he thought, by the looks of it, and also resident, perhaps--disappeared from his sight. With nothing else to do or think about, Ornias followed after them at a distance. He stopped after they entered the kitchen, deciding wheter it was a good idea or not to make acquaintances with another house resident. With a click of his tongue and a shake of his head he elbowed open the door and walked in in long strides.

Red, heat, pain. Laughter abounded, sick and twisted. Screams echoed off the bloody walls. Her body hurt, aching for the pain to end. Across from her, a blue blaze was licking the iron spike. A spike that glowed red hot. Off to the side a tall aristocratic devil stood, a smile on his face. Another demon, this one hunched over and ugly stood near the fire watching over the heated pole. It reached for the spike and handled it with impunity. Sweat dripped off her brow, her breaths ragged and harsh to her ears.

It was coming, the tip glowing a vibrant red, a hot red. Scorching hot pain erupted on her midsection as the tip of the spike made contact. She whimpered, the demons smiling and laughing at her discomfort. A sudden thrust and the pole was a couple of inches into the wall behind her. She screamed and cried. The pain to much for her battered body to handle.

Tamara woke up panting, her breathing harsh. Cuddled into her side, the baby whimpered. She must have fallen asleep under the tree where she claimed to feed the young boy. Her hand found its way to her midsection, where a circular scar laid dark against her skin0.

Seren sat at the island in the middle of the kitchen, face getting covered in penut butter and jelly and chomping away at her sandwich as her little legs swung well above the ground as Datenshi smiled and leaned against the counter to watch her. He wanted to get back to Kaethe, but he couldn't just leave Seren alone. He quietly sat a glass of milk in front of her when she began to hiccup and he ruffled her hair.

"Don't eat so fast love, if you eat slower you get full faster."

He looked up to Ornias and nodded a bit, not knowing what to say.

Kaethe stirred and opened her eyes dizzily, looking around in confusion when she didn't see the black walls of her own room. She turned and looked all around as she sat up in the bed, realizing after a few moments that she recognized the place. It was Datenshi's room. She blinked in confusion, faintly recalling refusing to go eat with him and Seren. Had she passed out or something? Sliding out of the bed, she wobbled a little as she stood and frowned at her own weakness. She took a deep breath and steadied herself. There was no way she was going to stay here until he came back and lectured her about not eating.

She left his room and started back to her own, then stopped and took a detour to the bathroom. There was an elegant full-length mirror in there and she stared in it, seeing herself in the light for the first time in weeks. Her eyes were highlighted by dark circles instead of being bright like aquamarine now. She tilted her head and pulled up the oversized shirt, able to could her ribs easily. Her slender fingers ran over her belly, watching how it caved inward instead of outward. Disgusting. She felt like a skeleton. It wouldn't be long now until she didn't have to worry about it, she decided.

She sighed and sat on the edge of the tub, too exhausted to go back to her room yet.

As Seren finished and slid down, Datenshi scooped her into his strong arms and pretended to bite at her nose, his lips covering his sharp teeth to avoid damage to the girl. She giggled and squealed, flailing and hitting at him lightly. He carried her upstairs and to his room, where he realized Kaethe was missing. He sighed gently. She must have gone back to her room, so he asked Seren to stay and he doubled back, holding the pint of warm blood. He caught a glimpse of her fraile figure in the bathroom and he knocked on the door she hadn't bothered to close and he leaned against the doorframe smiling.

"Hi there. I brought you a drink. I figured after all that time eating that a nourishing drink would be better and easier to swallow... Feeling any better?"

He pulled two paper cups from the stack on the sink and filled each one, handing her one gently. He wasn't going to scold her or anything, he was just worried for his sick friend. Yes, even after everything she had done to him, throwing him, spitting her venom, she was still his friend.

Looking up at the knock, Kaethe saw Datenshi and realized that she must have zoned out for a few minutes. She could smell the blood in his hands almost immediately and her stomach twisted in pain, reminding her of how empty it was and how much it demanded to be filled. Half shrugging at his question, she looked back down at the tile floor.

"I feel fine. I told you that I wasn't hungry. I've been eating just fine," she lied quietly, taking the cup from him anyway since she doubted he'd take no for an answer. The crimson liquid looked almost inviting, but it reminded her of what she was. She winced and set it aside on the edge of the tub, then wrapped her arms around herself and stood up. "I'm going back to my room," she said, not looking at him as she walked by carefully.

He stepped in her way and wrapped an arm around her waist, knowing she was still weak. There was something wrong and he wanted to talk to her about it. He helped her to her room and sat on the edge of her bed after shutting her door. His ears were highly trained, so he'd still hear Seren even as he talked to Kaethe.

"Please, Kaethe. I'd like to talk with you about what's gotten you so down like this. You don't... No one deserves to be this way, especially not someone as smart and beautiful and god don't forget strong, as you. And please don't say there's nothing wrong because no offense but you're anorexic and on the verge of death, but then again the way you're turning down every type of nourishment, including blood, you welcome that."

He stood and began pacing as he spoke, worry twisting through him.

"You need to get better. Who's going to keep everyone else in line? Who's going to bitch me out for giving her flowers every day? F-ck, who am I going to give flowers to?! Kaethe, you're my friend. I don't want to let a friend just waste away and die like you want to let yourself do. Please, just live! Please... Don't leave. You're so unique and perfect and you make the world brighter. You walk into a room and most tremble in fear but I can't help but smile. You saw how Seren was fearless of you? Her mother was just killed. She doesnt talk to anyone, barely me and she called you a princess! She wants to draw you a picture. Kaethe... Just eat. You're worrying me."

Kaethe stopped as he wrapped an arm around her waist, secretly relieved since she had been about to collapse. She allowed him to help her without a single word, sitting on the edge of her bed to watch him as he spoke to her. The entire time she was silent, simply observing as he began to pace and spoke about how she couldn't die. He just didn't understand. It was nice that he thought she was this wonderful person or whatever, but she knew that she wasn't. At the end of the day, he was wrong and everybody else in the world was right. The kid was just delusional.

"Give flowers to Seren. She'd appreciate them," she said softly a few moments after he informed her that she was worrying him. "You were not worried until today. It's been weeks and you haven't knocked or peeked in my window. I think you will survive if I'm suddenly not here. My door will remain closed as always, it's only the bed that will be empty," she went on, feeling numb inside. Her voice was even, calm, maybe even something to be called 'kind'. It felt foreign, but she couldn't muster up the energy to snap at him. "I'm sorry, Datenshi.."

Datenshi shook his head, not willing to accept this. When she brought up the fact that he hadn't checked on her in weeks, he scoffed.

"Tamara told everyone to stay away from you becasue you were in a bad mood and honestly I was tired of being hurt at every turn. Kaethe, I don't want to fuck you, I don't want to even see you naked. Why can't you comprehend that? All I want is to make you smile. To hear your laugh, to see you happy. I want to help you. And yes, I have been checking up on you. I've been using the bodies of squirrels, and owls and robins and cardinals to check up on you. Have you not been curious as to why suddenly random small animals seem to just love your window?"

He wasn't lieing. He was drained spiritually from how many times he'd posessed an animal just to come see her. He was going crazy, then finally he realized he was crying. Thick red tears were sliding down his cheeks as he paced. He wiped them away and looked at his now blood-stained fingers. He hadn't cried since his mother killed herself. He looked to Kaethe and said nothing for a moment. Then, his voice came, soft and shaking.

"Your door may be shut, but your bed will be empty. It will be quiet, lonely and dark through the whole house. And every night. Every night I'll sit on the edge of your bed, wishing I could have helped you. Wishing I could have just made you happy. You may think no one cares. You may say I'm wrong when I call you beautiful or smart or brave, but dammit I know what I feel and I know what I think. Everyone else may call you a monster or evil or disgusting, but dammit they're just jealous because they don't have even a fourth of the character you do. Are you going to believe a bunch of strangers that hate you becasue they hate themselves, or are you going to realize that you're perfect...?"

Now the tears fell harder. He couldn't hold anything back any more. He had gone through so many emotions with this woman and now he didn't care if she knew every one.

"Even if you're gone, I'll still leave you flowers. I promised I'd leave you flowers until the day I die and even if you die, it won't change."

(( OOC: Oh sweet mama I'm actually bawling. This, just writing this made me cry. I couldn't see the keyboard right by the end...))

As Datenshi retorted to everything that she had said, she couldn't help but stare at him. So much of what he was saying may as well have been Greek for all that she comprehended it. She didn't understand why he would be telling her that he didn't want to fuck her - wasn't that what all the guys wanted? All she was, was a pretty face until she opened her mouth and revealed her true nature. The face of an angel, and now she knew why. She cringed inwardly, but he was already giving her more to think of, pointing out that he had never once stopped checking on her. It was true, she had noticed the irritating little animals, but she had never thought anything of it as she remained curled up miserably in bed.

She blinked as she saw his tears, stunned that he was getting this emotional about.. her. Why? A faint frown touched her lips and she realized with a start that she was worrying about him. It wasn't as if she really cared, it was just an automatic reaction to him crying like a baby in front of her. .. Right? She shifted uncertainly and watched him as he turned to her and told her what he would do and how he would feel if she died. Her pulse skipped and she was speechless, unsure what to say or even if she should breathe or move. He still cried and she had no idea what to do or what to say.

It wasn't until he swore that he would still leave her flowers until he died himself that she got up. She stood and walked over to him, then cupped his blood-streaked cheeks in her pale hands and kissed him.

He froze. Oh fuck she was kissing him again. Every time they had kissed previously, she had ended up throwing him or hitting him. He kissed back weakly, just then realizing he was trembling. When he finally pulled away he looked down at his hands. He had poured out every bit of his heart and soul and she was going to get angry now. He sighed and spoke gently, his voice barely a whisper.

"Look. Even if you start yelling or hitting me or anything, what I just said will not lose any bit of meaning. I meant it all and I always will, Kaethe. You're my friend, whether you believe it or not and I worry about you."

He laughed weakly, licking his thumb and scrubbing his cheeks in a failed attempt to clean them.

"You made me cry like a b-tch..."

"Well you are a b*tch," she replied immediately, though there was a definite smile threatening to curve her lips.

She was silent for a few moments, which she knew was probably a shock since he expected her to yell at him. There was no way that hitting him would do anything at this point. Not only was she too weak to throw him across the room anymore, but she also had initiated the kiss, so hitting him for it would be rather harsh. That was the first time that she thought something would be too mean. She thought of her father then, telling her that being nice meant you were weak. Her wings trembled slightly and she looked up at Datenshi with tears in her own eyes.

"Can I.. hug you..? Just for a minute.. p-please.."

Datenshi's eyes rose to hers as he chuckled at her calling him a b-tch then he saw the slight smile and the tears and his expression softened as he reached up, brushing a stray tear from her cheek with a crooked finger. He pulled her gently against his warm body and allowed her to get as close as she liked, his hand stroking her hair, chin resting on the top of ehr head.

"Always, Kaethe. You can hug me anytime you wish."