Angel of Phrixus: OOC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured as much, but doesn't that mean we're going to have to constantly find new appearance for our characters? And if most if not all of us are going to start off with our character's first time playing the game, why are there levels in the skeletons? Are the levels determined by the dead people our characters are unknowingly inhabiting?

As for the first part of that, that's part of a larger discussion that I'll be having later.

The second part, technically no, levels are not based upon the person they're inhabiting. They are included in the skeleton because we're not starting from scratch -- the characters have been playing for a little while now. When I say it's their first time, I mean that they truly had not played the game before now -- in other words, they have yet to die.

So, I may have missed a memo, but when does the RP start? and on another note, dice rolls might be an excellent way to keep combat interesting. That is, you should also take into account your raw character stats. Say that you roll for defense when you are attacked; if you roll a 6 with two die, but have excellent defense, you defend the entirety of that blow based on your raw skill alone, but are unable to parry. I'm not saying that we should completely nerd out and take every factor into account... we should just keep general skills in mind, if it's a main feature of the RP.

So, I may have missed a memo, but when does the RP start? and on another note, dice rolls might be an excellent way to keep combat interesting. That is, you should also take into account your raw character stats. Say that you roll for defense when you are attacked; if you roll a 6 with two die, but have excellent defense, you defend the entirety of that blow based on your raw skill alone, but are unable to parry. I'm not saying that we should completely nerd out and take every factor into account... we should just keep general skills in mind, if it's a main feature of the RP.

The roleplay starts when it starts. There are details that need to be taken care of before that -- like whether or not dice rolls should be used -- and while I'm sorry that it's taking so long, I want everything in place before then, or at least mostly in place.

Seconded. Better to be patient and have a well set-up RP than to rush and accidentally the entire RP

Name :: Darcy Blakely
Appearance :: Standing at 5'8," Darcy is relatively tall for her gender, and because of her graceful posture and pale grey eyes, she has always looked older than she really is. Her red hair naturally curls but is generally bound by a braid when she's in public. No one will ever catch Darcy in a skirt or a dress; she always wears either jeans or shorts (the latter generally in private), and she never parts with the cross that her farther gave her on her thirteenth birthday. Privately, she's a lover of high heels, but only on rare occasions will anyone spot her with them. Various scars lace her arms and legs from her childhood adventures, and a set of three scars rip down her back. She doesn't remember getting those, but her father always told her a fantastical story about him saving her from a bunch of jungle cats. She never believed him -- they didn't live in the jungle, for one -- but she never got the true story from him.

Personality :: Contained within Darcy is two very different people; one is rather cold, detached, and depressed, and one is overly emotional, reverent of nature, and a fighter for those who cannot defend themselves. She possesses a rather powerful intellect, but because she is primarily driven by emotion, she learns differently than most; as such, she's had a hard time in public school. Not that she'd ever let anyone see that; she's got too much pride. Though she's called off all human relationships, Darcy still privately aims to please, seeking acceptance from her once friend, Josh. Knowing there is no going back to before but unable to relinquish what little she has left of the past, she constantly pushes herself to best him, knowing that he will only return the favor.

Background :: Darcy grew up only knowing her father. He was a religious man, but he never talked to Darcy about God or the Bible; he instead taught her morals, he taught her to cherish nature, to understand oneself, to have compassion. Her father homeschooled her, and their home resided deep within a forest.

When she was eight, her father finally took her to town, and for the first time, Darcy met other children. She didn't quite understand society's decorum, but that didn't stop her from making friends against parent's wishes. One such friend was Joshua Erickson. Out of all the children she met whenever she went into town, he was the one that she consistently saw, though to this day, Darcy still doesn't understand how her father managed to convince his parents to allow it.

On her thirteenth birthday, all Darcy wanted was to meet her mother, to see her once. For that past few years, Darcy had been given all sorts of explanations about where her mother was -- she was travelling, she was President, she was an Angel, etc. -- and on that day, he assured her that she was somewhere near... and Darcy assumed that meant that her mother was in the town that she and her father always visited.

So, she did the only logical thing: she ran away to find her mother.

She left as the sun was setting -- her father was out and about -- and by the time she reached the city, it was utterly dark... and Darcy had never really seen the city lit by artificial light. Within moments, she was utterly lost, and it wasn't long until she was lost in a very bad part of town. Her father found her a few hours into her escape, but when he was walking towards her, he was hit by a car. Whoever it was didn't stop, and Darcy was left with her dead father, screaming and crying, for a few more hours before someone finally called the cops.

Darcy did get her wish, though: she did get to see her mother... Though it was a week later.

Her mother had been out of town at the time of the accident, and besides that, it had taken a great amount of searching for the authorities to even figure out who Darcy was. So, Darcy spent a week being questioned, and the only thing she had for consolation was the package they had found on her father after examining his body that had been labeled To Darcy. Within it had been his favorite cross.

When her mother finally showed, Darcy kicked and screamed, refusing to go with her for hours, but eventually she wore herself out. Her mother, though, never said anything about her father. When they reached her house -- which did happen to be in the city -- she gave a brief explanation of where everything was, and she left Darcy to her devices, only insuring that the fridge was always stocked with food.

So, Darcy began going to public school, and, blaming herself for her father's death, she had promised herself to never grow close to another human again lest she cause any harm to them. She found that Joshua too went to this school, but she immediately ignored the friendship they once had... But, because she still wanted to hold onto what she could of the past, she wanted to keep him in her life somehow. Her solution? Beat him at everything. Though Darcy had a very hard time in the new learning environment, she stayed up tirelessly in order to teach herself everything, to insure that she was on an equal playing field.

Whenever she wasn't doing homework, though, Darcy was immersing herself in virtual realities... and once she discovered what they could do, she began learning how to make them. After high school, she got a job at a game development company; in fact, it's the one that developed Angel of Phrixus.

~~Game character info~~

Name :: Blake Alari
Role :: Thief

Inclination :: Speed
Level :: 9

Skills ::
  • Hand-to-hand combat :: Level 9 // Coming into Angel of Phrixus, Darcy wanted to make some sort of difference, so she took on the role of she who would protect those who could not do it for themselves -- players and NPCs alike. However, when she first tried this, Darcy nearly ended up getting herself killed. What saved her was the man who turned into her mentor -- Aleyxander. He taught her how to fight with her body before teaching her other weapons.
  • Knife fighting :: Level 8 // Aleyxander gave Darcy all sorts of weapons -- swords, axes, bows -- but the one that really stuck was the knives. To her, it was just an extension of his previous lessons, so it came quite naturally to her.
  • Glaive :: Level 7 // Darcy never learned this skill from Aleyxander; once she learned how to fight with knives to his liking, they parted ways. She was wandering around Sharn when she came across Likaria... who happened to be a desperate pirate. Darcy traveled with the woman, helping her recruit, and in return, she was taught quite a lot... including how to fight with a glaive.
  • Stealth :: Level 4 // Even in her heart of hearts, Darcy is not the most socialable of people, and as such, she does most of her missions by herself. Due to a fear of death, even in a game, Darcy is careful about what missions she will and will not take, and it is because of this that she's pursued this skill. At this level, it will help her blend with the shadows, make her more forgettable to NPCs, and increases the blind spots of her targets slightly. It is thanks to this last attribute that she's been able to put some of the bullies in the towns back into their place.
  • Smithing :: Level 3 // Darcy prefers to make things by hand in real life, so this has transferred over to her pursuit of this skill. At such a low level, Darcy can mend any minor damage done to her glaive and knives, and she can occasionally forge a semi-functioning knife.
Weapon of choice :: In public, knives (see character picture); during quests or missions of any sort, glaive (see below).

1345364422119s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Noctis the Devious
So, this is my to do list for the next few days.
  • Finish writing up all the info on the starter region
  • Finish writing an explanation of the Zephyrs
  • A master post on skills and their attributes
  • A master post on game mechanics
  • A master post on character deaths
  • A discussion on additional characters
So, keep your eyes peeled, you guys. It's going to be a busy weekend. ^^

So, I've finally finished Darcy's profile... Since you guys are subject to my judgement, I will submit Darcy to yours.

Do you all accept her?

By royal decree, thou must be accepted~!

Reactions: 2 people
Get out of here speed thief! We have enough of your kind here!

...just kidding. She looks pretty good! d(^.^) Xylime seal of approval!

Reactions: 2 people
Name :: Wayne Winters
Appearance :: 5"10 Brown hair, skinny with little muscle, blue eyes

C:\Users\Stephen\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.jpg

Personality :: Wayne is a sophomore in college with lots of free time. He is an incredibly bright kid who does well in his classes without even trying. As a result Wayne doesn't try hard at anything because he doesn't have to. The only thing he will put effort into, is his hobby and love of video games. Wayne has always a bit of a nerd, despite is occasional involvement in sports. He never made many friends, but the friends he did make were close knit. He spent all his time with them and would do whatever he could to help them out when need be. Wayne's grandpa died when he was young and had several people associated with him or his family die as he grew older. While only his grandpa and a teacher were the only deaths that truly affected him, he is weary of death and tries to keep it away from those he loves. This leads Wayne to play a character that tries to protect his fellow players. That and his character is big and muscular which is something Wayne has never been. Wayne's personality doesn't change too much in game. He is pretty friendly to other players and always protects his party members. Wayne likes being in battle cause it makes him feel lees like a nerd.

Background :: Wayne came from a normal sized family of 4. His parents raised him with love, but his dad was always away at work (he worked far from home). He has an older brother who is a doctor and married. His extended family is large and often to together on holidays. Most are like his brother having jobs in great fields and Wayne is often pressured to do the same. Wayne's grandpa died when he was young and had several people associated with him or his family die as he grew older.
~~Game character info~~
Name :: Ryken
Role :: KnightOffense: 5; Defense: 5; Speed: 1; Health: 3
Inclination :: Defense
Level ::
Skills :: Thick skin (lvl 10): through combat and training the warrior skin is tough and calloused ignoring a percent of incoming damage (the value is your discretion buy my idea was .5% per lvl)

Armor proficiency (lvl 7): has learned how to effectively utilize any type of armor to maximize their defensive benefits, specialized in medium to heavy armors for even greater benefit

Rally (lvl 4): deep within he finds his renewed will to fight recovering some hp

A good defense makes for better offense (lvl 6): Opponents failed attacks cause damage to the attacker

Bleeding is for the weak (lvl 3) reduced chance to bleed or suffer from blood loss

Weapon of choice :: arm blades used primarily for defense but pose a formidable offense as well

Appearance ::

C:\Users\Stephen\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image004.jpg

@Toreth
Your images are broken! </3 For this site, when you click the "Insert Image" button, it wants the direct link, not the IMG link.

Hey, Toreth, glad to finally see your character. ^^ I do have some...questions with regard to your skills, though.

I like the idea behind the "Thick Skin" skill, but how did he go about cultivating that? Also, the percentage will probably have to be lower if I allow it to stay.

"A good defense makes for a better offense" is going to have to go, I'm sad to say.

The same question I had for "Thick Skin" applies to "Bleeding is for the weak."

So, I had all of zero free time this weekend, which was quite unexpected... But I did make forward progress. :D
These will all have things added to them at some point or another, but these are the basics that we'll need to know about at the start of the roleplay.

I think I'll write up a starting post and have it up on Tuesday; the other things that I wanted to talk about can wait, at least for now. This first series of posts will be mostly introductory, establishing character relations and such.

I think. I'll start it and see what else I need, if anything, and then go from there.

Sound like a plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.