An Iwaku GW2 Guild!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Fauna, some people seem to have no problem grinding to level 80. Personally, I've been playing for years and don't get any characters beyond the mid 20s before deleting them to avoid the boredom.

As far as arguments go, I was referring to the "Paying the same price for expansion or expansion and full game" argument that Seiji brought up. That discussion happened on the Guildwars2 forums already and was... very long and heated.

To be completely honest Kehv, it's really not much of a grind anymore. Leveling a character from 1 to 80 now is quite fast, compared to when the game launched. Further, over the course of 28 days, you'll receive a handful of Tomes of Knowledge, which grant one free level to any character under level 80 (and a Spirit Shard, a type of currency used at the Mystic Forge vendor) if used by any character at 80.

Back in the spring of 2013 (before I stopped playing), I started an Elementalist and got him to level five before I lost interest. After this whole thing started up again, I picked him back up and had him to 80 in... maybe two weeks? There were times where I gained more than 12 levels in a day. I doubt I would have lost interest as easily as I had back in 2013 if leveling a character wasn't as grindy as it used to be. Between the personal story and completing events, you too will level quickly, and possibly won't be as bored I was when I leveled my first 80. *That* was absolutely miserable.

GW2 doesn't really have a trifecta like other MMOs, so there aren't strict tank, healer or DPS roles. In fact, the most efficient (I'm talking speed) way of clearing dungeons is 5 high DPS characters. I mentioned before that I haven't reaaally played for a couple of months, so maybe that's changed by now, but I doubt it.
No, it still holds true for the most part.
Vanilla areas are largely untouched as that any Build works.

Some clear it faster, some survive more easily etc.

However, Heart of Thorns did add several new maps to the game.
And on these Map's specifically things changed quite a bit.

In the first little while it was almost unplayable with a DPS, enemies focused too much on going right at you and doing heavy damage.
However, after a bit it seemed to get tweaked a little so DPS is still playable in such areas. But admittedly it is harder than it is for a Tanky build.

So in a nutshell.

Vanilla Maps = Good for everyone, DPS simply adds a little more risk for faster potential.
Expansion Maps = Slanted in Favor of Tanky Builds. DPS can make it but not as well.

It is a design choice I personally have some issues with, because it's started this mentality that I can only describe as "Tank Build Master Race" where people are starting to view DPS builds as inferior and outdated. Which spits right in the face of one of Guild Wars 2's main attractions, play how you want.

But at the same time, I can see why they did that.
The reason I picked DPS for my current Main is because the point of my main is to gather gold, resources etc to support future characters.
And one can gain resources the fastest as a DPS, so they do have a built in advantage over that.
So at the same time, it's fair to have Tanks get an advantage somewhere as well.

But yea, just note that with the expansion different maps treat builds differently.

Last edited:
It is true that the progression seems a little faster now, Alan. However, I still see my characters stalling in progression at around 25. Events attract people, so I avoid them. And going around each homeland to do hearts and collect POIs loses it's luster after an hour or so.

The fact that I dont' want to play the game the way the developers want me to, and the fact that I dont' care about completion conspire to prevent me from getting past the midgame slump. I just don't find that fun, and I only play to have fun. Which is the point of games, after all.

Events attract people, so I avoid them.
Well this right here is the issue for two big reasons.

1. Events are a huge source of both experience and ways to complete quests quickly.
By avoiding this you just removed your fastest means of leveling.

2. Guild Wars 2 is an MMO. In other word's a Massive Multiplayer Online game. If you'd rather not play with others, then quite honestly the MMO Genre just isn't that complimentary of one. It's entire focus is based around group work and group play. Especially once you get into Dungeons, Fractals and now Raids.

There's nothing wrong with that just so we're clear. It just isn't a good mix.
It'd be like someone saying they don't like Halo because they don't like shooting people.

No, it still holds true for the most part.
Vanilla areas are largely untouched as that any Build works.

Some clear it faster, some survive more easily etc.

However, Heart of Thorns did had several new maps to the game.
And on these Map's specifically things changed quite a bit.

In the first little while it was almost unplayable with a DPS, enemies focused too much on going right at you and doing heavy damage.
However, after a bit it seemed to get tweaked a little so DPS is still playable in such areas. But admittedly it is harder than it is for a Tanky build.

So in a nutshell.

Vanilla Maps = Good for everyone, DPS simply adds a little more risk for faster potential.
Expansion Maps = Slanted in Favor of Tanky Builds. DPS can make it but not as well.

It is a design choice I personally have some issues with, because it's started this mentality that I can only describe as "Tank Build Master Race" where people are starting to view DPS builds as inferior and outdated. Which spits right in the face of one of Guild Wars 2's main attractions, play how you want.

But at the same thing, I can see why they did that.
The reason I picked DPS for my current Main is because the point of my main is to gather gold, resources etc to support future characters.
And one can gain resources the fastest as a DPS, so they do have a built in advantage over that.
So at the same time, it's fair to have Tanks get an advantage somewhere as well.

But yea, just note that with the expansion different maps treat builds differently.
To be fair, for most of the games existence it's been 'Berserker Master Race,' which spit right in the face of GW2's 'play how you want' attraction. It seems it's just shifted to tank builds, now. There will always be elitists who scoff at those who aren't following the meta. You just need to avoid or ignore them. I realize that's a bit harder in PvE maps than, say, dungeons/fractals/PvP, where it's just a small group that you can hand pick, but if someone is giving you grief, just block the turd. You can still play how you want! Just like before, it might be a little more difficult with certain builds, but it's not impossible.

The good thing about GW2 is that it's easy to have more than one build. It would be easier if they'd introduce some way to save builds, but as it is, you just need to keep various equipment in your inventory and change your traits/specializations when necessary. For my Guardian, I carry every weapon, and a set of both Berserker gear and Soldier/Knight gear. That way, I'm covered for whatever situation arises. I realize that costs $$$, and I certainly don't have that on all my characters, but if you're wanting to do a lot of content with a particular character, it's a pretty convenient way to do things.

GOT TO FINALLY PLAYING.

I'm spaceguitar.

I played both an Engineer and Guardian to around level 8. Holy cow, <3 Quest-thingies and combat is really fluid and fun. It's kind of addicting running from area-to-area looking for those little Events.

Yeeeaaaahhhh, I might become addicted.

• Love
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
GOT TO FINALLY PLAYING.

I'm spaceguitar.

I played both an Engineer and Guardian to around level 8. Holy cow, <3 Quest-thingies and combat is really fluid and fun. It's kind of addicting running from area-to-area looking for those little Events.

Yeeeaaaahhhh, I might become addicted.
What's your full IGN (with all the numbers)? I'll add you. :3

Uh, gimme a sec to find it, here...

Uh...

Ah, here we are!

spaceguitar.1376

Aw yiss, check out that low-ass number. ANTIQUE ACCOUNT FTW.

To be fair, for most of the games existence it's been 'Berserker Master Race,' which spit right in the face of GW2's 'play how you want' attraction. It seems it's just shifted to tank builds, now. There will always be elitists who scoff at those who aren't following the meta. You just need to avoid or ignore them. I realize that's a bit harder in PvE maps than, say, dungeons/fractals/PvP, where it's just a small group that you can hand pick, but if someone is giving you grief, just block the turd. You can still play how you want! Just like before, it might be a little more difficult with certain builds, but it's not impossible.

The good thing about GW2 is that it's easy to have more than one build. It would be easier if they'd introduce some way to save builds, but as it is, you just need to keep various equipment in your inventory and change your traits/specializations when necessary. For my Guardian, I carry every weapon, and a set of both Berserker gear and Soldier/Knight gear. That way, I'm covered for whatever situation arises. I realize that costs $$$, and I certainly don't have that on all my characters, but if you're wanting to do a lot of content with a particular character, it's a pretty convenient way to do things.
Eh. I was honestly just noting a mentality that noticed.
The whole Dungeon/Fractal situation of people simply speed running and then hating anyone whose new to it is still a far more rampant issue community wise. XD

Me and a Friend of mine ran into it a few days ago, we did a Fractal and my friend got his avatar stuck a bit back.
The group instead of going back to check even though being told he was stuck, simply yelled at him for being slow and then rushed to the boss without him.
Even skipping another boss on the way.

As for different builds and gear?
A built in save feature would be damn convenient.
But admittedly I'd probably barely use it.

Because even with the bigger bags Fatal left in the Guild Bank a while back my Inventory still fills up far too quickly from stuff like world bosses, dungeons, fractals etc.
The bags just make it so I need to check on it ever 30 minutes or so instead of every 5 minutes. XD

So adding a bunch of new gear for other builds there would only make inventory far more tedious again.
Maybe I will once I get enough gems from gold conversion to purchase some extra bag slots.
But until then? I'm sticking with my Dual-Axe Beserker Warrior.

Status
Not open for further replies.