Alone in the dark

Cassandra opened her eyes when she heard him singing the sing she was humming. She glanced into your eyes knowing that would be the only thing she would be able to look at without freaking out. "You...you know that song?" She asked. She was now more calm than she was before. As she listened to his words. The air was now a soft breeze as he continued to fly. "How do you know where your going?" She asked with curiosity.

Chad quit singing and smiled at her. "I was there when it was written," he replied with a small chuckle. He glanced down again to check they were still on course. "And as for the way I'm going, it's a bit hard to explain." He tilted his head to the side. "Everyone has something called an aura," he began. "It changes color according to the person's mood, and it also leaves paths only some people can see. Like me." He looked down to see they were converging on her house. "Hold tight," he said, held her gently against his chest, her forehead pressing into the base of his neck warmly. He dove, tucking in his wings and then stretched them out again, like a parachute and he touched his feet to the ground. "We're here," he said, not putting her down.

Cassandra was becoming fascinated with him. As she held on a little tighter to him when he flew down. He landed gently on his feet, but she still was sitting in his arms. She looked up at the house her mother and her lived in trying to fight back tears. "When I was hear last time he killed my mother in front of me. What...what if her body is still in there. I couldn't bare to..." A knot formed in her throat as she tried to find the right words. When she realized she was still in his arms she spoke gently. "I think it's safe to put me down now." She said looking up at him. When her feet touched the ground she glanced down at herself. She needed clothes and shoes and the only way she would get them was by going inside the house. "I'm..is it wrong to be a little afraid right now?" She asked hugging herself and looking down at the ground with sad watery eyes.

Chad tilted her chin up to look at him, brushing her tears out of her eyes with his thumb. "No," He murmured. "There's nothing wrong about fear unless you never try to overcome it."His eyes were old and sad-looking as he looked over at the house, looking at the gray aura that showed him where the girl's dead mother was. Except, it wasn't completely gray- it had an amber tinge to it, oddly. He looked at her again, a slight crease appearing between his eyebrows. "Are you sure your mother was... dead?" He asked her, frowning. "Her aura still has color, and she's afraid, too." He sensed nothing else in the house, although he saw a clear,wavering path that went in and out of the door, a path that had moved around thee house, stopping in each room and he guessed that whatever it was that attacked Cassandra and her mother had been looking for something. And hadn't found it.

When Chad spoke about her mother still being alive she quickly ran to the room. Pushing passed all the broken furniture and running into her moms bedroom. When she saw her mom laying on the floor she quickly ran towards her. Falling onto her knees and lifting her mothers head onto her lap. When her mom tried to speak she shook her head. "Shh, save your energy. Your going to be ok." Her mother simply smiled up at her and gently laid her hand on her face.

'My beautiful baby girl. You and I both know i'm not going to be ok." Her mother glanced down at the huge hole in her stomach. It was gushing out blood and Cassandra couldn't help but cry. "No no baby girl don't cry. Everything is going to be ok. I'm going to watch over you from above. You'll see." With that her mothers hand fell to the floor. Cassandra let out a desperate cry and pulled her mothers head to her chest. Tears rolling down her eyes and her breathing becoming rough. It was then that she saw a bright light off in the distance. Slowly she opened her eyes glancing closer. The light was coming from underneath the floor board. It was a golden light that danced like smoke. Cassandra continued to hold her mother not caring what it was.

"It's probably that stupid book. Well those demons can have it. I have no need for anything that brought my mother death.' She said clutching on to her as if she was her favorite stuffed bear.

Chad sighed and peeled up the floorboard quickly, retrieving the glowing book and cursed as it burned him, dropping it on the floor. It continued to shine light over everything as Chad left to kneel at Cassandra's side. "Cassandra," he murmured. "She's gone. I-I'm sorry." He winced slightly as his voice cracked and put a hand on her slender shoulder. "Come on," he said, gently. "We can't stay here long. I don't want to risk losing you, too."

He noticed she was shaking, hadn't responded to anything he had said. His hand slid to the side of her neck and felt her pulse, fast and erratic. "Cass?" He whispered. "Please?"

Cassandra had lost all hope she had left as she fell into a dark state. Only the whisper of Chad's voice could be heard. When he placed his hand gently on the back of her neck she looked up at him. She heard him call her by her nickname in a short soft tone. For a long moment she just stared at him trough watery eyes. Then in an instant everything changed. Her eyebrows drew in and her eyes grew dark. "That was the nickname my mom called me." Quickly she stood up and walked over to the book. Simply staring at it. Why? Why was all this happening to her. Anger filled her body and she quickly grabbed the book getting ready to throw it out of the window. Just as she was about to throw it something happened. Something she was sure even Chad didn't see coming.

The light from the book grew even brighter. Almost blinding her from were she stood. The smoke like light quickly swarmed around Cassandra lifting her into the air. For a moment she was simply floating and than she was thrown back into the wall with a hard thrust. Hitting her head and falling to the floor. Her body still glowing from the light. She could hear Chad's voice and tried to replied, but couldn't Everything was going dark around her. Is this what death felt like? She thought to herself. It was than that she heard a faint voice and pure golden light surrounded her. A beautiful woman stood in front of her. She had long silky black hair and deep brown eyes.

"Hello Cassandra, it is I Everest the past guardian of the book. It is time you learned why you are here."

Chad cast his mind out to her like a lifeline, desperate to keep her alive. He found, however, she was merely unconscious and he sighed with relief and started to withdraw, but stopped as a woman stood before them. The woman's eyes were a deep, thoughtful brown- they had the same old look that Chad himself knew he contained, the look of someone who's seen too much. Her hair fell down her back like a black waterfall, fluid and weightless.The woman spoke, then.

"Hello, Cassandra. It is I, Everest, the past guardian of the book. It is time you learned why you are here."

Everything was a blur to Cassandra as the girl began to speak. Before Cassandra could get out a word the woman turned to Chad. "I'm sorry young man, but this must only be heard by the ears of the guardian. If she would wish to tell you what we speak of later then she can." Everest turned to Cassandra as if for her approval that the man left. Slowly Cassandra stood up and gave Chad a slight nod. "I'll come get you when she's finished."

She watched as Chad left and turned her attention over to Everest when his figure had fully disappeared "I understand Cassandra that this is a heavy thing that you must carry on your back now and I apologize for that. I know that the lost of your mother must give you a deal of great pain, but if you don't take responsibility of this book many other people than just your mother will die. Including the man that waits outside for you now."

Cassandra turned her head as if she could see Chad. "What do you mean. Is he not an angel. What danger could I bring an angel?' Everest simply smiled. "He is an angel my dear, but he is a fallen angel which is much different. How he became that way is something you would have to ask him. There is not much time. Danger awaits. Take the book and guard it. I know you may think you don't have the power to fight of these demons. Trust me you are much stronger than you think." With that Everest disappeared and Cassandra was left alone with her thoughts. Slowly she returned to Chad and simply stared at him for a long moment. "You should go. I'll be fine." With that she closed her front door and walked back inside her mothers room. The body that laid there was once gone and she guessed that Everest took it with her.

Chad had been thrown out of Cass's mind and he almost stumbled. He stared at Cassandra's glassy stare and sighed. When her gaze cleared, she gave him a long look and told him to leave, but he rebelled and followed her into her mother's room. He pulled back on his shirt and found her staring at the spot where her mother had died. He bit his lip, knowing it wasn't right, but she needed comfort.
Sending her soothing energy, he slipped his arms around her, his chin resting lightly in her hair and liking the way she fit into his arms- like a puzzle piece. "I'm sorry, Cass." he murmured. "But I refuse to leave you. Not now, not ever. Nor can I lie to you. you're stuck with me. Call me your guardian angel."

Cassandra closed her eyes for a minute and then turned to face Chad. "Stop call me Cass!!! I told you my mother and only my mother called me that. Besides don't you mean fallen angel." Before he could say a word she held up her hand and gave a sigh. "I have things I need to figure out and it would be easier to figure them out with you not here. I'm not going to risk putting anyone else in danger." With that she walked back to the front door and opened it. Waiting for him to leave. She arched her eyebrow and tilted her head outside to be more clear. She knew that wasn't going to work with him. He spoke as if he couldn't leave her, as if he was bound. "Your not bound to me are you?" She asked with her eyebrow still raised.

Chad sighed, rubbing his chin as he was scolded. She was trying to make him leave, but he couldn't. When she guessed, he nodded and said, "When I saved you, the Angels assigned me to be your guardian angel. I... I can't leave you. It's physically impossible." He thought for a moment and sighed again. "But... not mentally." His arms itched to hold her again, but he held back. She didn't need hi. What she needed was time to grieve for her mother.
Something came over him then, and he strode over and closed the door, making it so he was inches from her. He leaned close and murmured, "And what else can I call you? Cassandra is quite a mouthful." His accent stood out in his exasperation, pronouncing her name Cassandra,​ like an Englishman- But his accent held something foreign and musical in it, something more beautiful and complicated than human language.

Cassandra had a slight irritation when she found out he couldn't leave. When he was only inches away from her he spoke about her name. She wasn't sure what it was, but the way he said it sent chills down her spine. She glanced up at him even though she wasn't really looking at him. It was more of his muscles as they rippled through his shirt. She bit her lip and shook her head. "Focus Cassandra your mother didn't just die so you could drool over some angel." She thought to herself. She than glanced up at him and shrugged. "I'm sure you'll figure something out." She said before turning into the kitchen. The book laid on the table which was odd, because she was sure she left it in the room with her mother. "Are you hungry?" She asked grabbing her stomach. She knew she was.

Chad followed, shaking his head. "No," he replied audibly. "I don't need to eat as often as you do." He was deep in thought as he leaned against the counter, staring at her. He blinked and said seriously, "I'll call you Cassiel, then. The angel of solitude and tears." He gave her a small, ironic smile although she wasn't looking at him.
God, she's beautiful.

Cassandra headed into the kitchen. Grabbing one thing after another and laying them on the table. She wanted pizza. Not the pizza from the store though. Hand made pizza. She pulled out cheese, dough, a long stick of pepperoni and a whole bunch of ingredients to make the sauce. It was something her mother and her always did. Making pizza in the middle of the night always brought them joy. When he replied that he wasn't hungry she smiled to herself. "Well once you see how good this pizza is that i'm going to make you'll defiantly will want to try some." When she heard the new name that he thought of for her she shrugged Not, because she didn't like the name. More, because she was trying to focus on her pizza. That's...ironic." She said finally at the new name. She sighed as she started kneading out the dough. She never realized how hard this part was. Considering that her mother always did this part. She would just watch and push down on one spot like she was really doing something. Her eyebrows drew together and she bit her tongue causing it to stick out slightly. Making her look like a little kid who was in deep thought trying to figure out a new toy. This pizza was going to be perfect.

Chad watched her for a moment, his hands itching to draw her. He closed his eyes for a moment, finding his sketchpad in his house mentally and, thankful for his developed talent, felt it materialize in his hand, along with his 4B drawing pencil in the opposite hand. He stared at her with an artist's eye before, slowly and without looking down, started to draw her. Now and then he would pause to examine a curve or an angle before he moved his pencil again. He drew the slight crease in her brow as she concentrated on her task, the way her head tilted ever so slightly to the side. He smiled again, a soft smile that lit up his eyes like nothing else. Finally, he was finished and he looked down at the picture. It showed Cassandra- Cassiel - bent over the counter top, a spatula in her hand and her tongue sticking out slightly and adding a shade of innocence. He had drawn wings from her back, the angel wings that were so popular and so incorrect, completely unlike his own birdlike wings. A halo he had drawn barely visible floated over her head and he titled it with a small smile.

He finished by signing his name illegibly on the bottom corner of the page and looked back up at her, the smile on his lips faint, a memory.

Cassandra was focused on cooking, but she did notice when he pulled out a pencil and pad out of thin air. When she had finished her pizza she placed it in the oven and turned towards him tilting her head slightly. "What were you drawing?" She asked with a smile and an innocent sound to her voice. Not like she didn't already know. She gave him another smile before she returned to her kitchen cleaning everything. When she finished she sighed and walked into the living room. "The pizza will be awhile so you can come in here and sit with me." She glanced and the book and sighed before grabbing it. Watching as it lit a gold color from her touch. Her eyes fell and she let out a frustrated sound. "I don't understand what I'm supposed to do with this book. Carry it around? I.." She looked up at Chad with sad eyes. Hoping he would have some kind of answer for her.

Chad shook his head, slightly, wishing he had a good answer for her. But the truth was, he had no idea. He had barely heard of the book, and he spoke slowly. "You're the new guardian of the book," he said. "I believe you guard it, hide it away somewhere like your mother did. But the thing is, you'll be in hiding your whole life if you do that. The energy emanating from that book gives me a headache." he smiled grimly. "Maybe you should open it, see what happens. I don't believe your mother could have hidden it under those floorboards. Something tells me it was there for a long time and she became guardian unknowingly when she bought the house."

She thought about it for a moment and sighed. When she heard the oven go off she smiled thinking this was the perfect excuse. "Look the pizzas ready." She stood up grabbing his hand and and pulling him into the kitchen. "I know you said your not hungry, but trust me when I say that this pizza is amazing." She said with a smile. She knew he was right about the book, but figured it could wait tell after pizza. She glanced at the book and wondered if she could make it come to her. With a shrug of her shoulders she opened up both of her hands and the book instantly flew to them. Her eyes went wide as she stared at the book that was now before her. She laid it on the counter and used some oven mitts to grab the pizza. "We can talk while it cools off. You know get to know each other since you going to he around and all."

Chad looked up at her in surprise. He hadn't expected for her to be so accepting of him. But then again, he had saved her, so he really shouldn't be surprised. He straightened, his hands sliding into his pockets and his art supplies back at his home. His mouth twisted to one side in thought, and he said, "What do you want to know?" He knew very well he would answer any question she asked, and answer them truthfully- as her Guardian Angel, now, he didn't exactly have a choice. But he wasn't going to tell her that.