Across the Stars -OOC /Sign Up [Sci-Fi NRP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not trying to drag this out, but when you begin a response with "no offense" it's usually because it is going to be offensive, things feel like what you think they are so even though you didn't say "you ripped off destiny" when you said "it feels like you ripped off destiny" what is the difference in meaning? Notice that the root phrase in both statements is "you ripped off destiny."

Imagine if I said, "no offense, but it feels like you were a jackass". I didn't say you were a jackass, just that I thought you sounded like one. "Sounded" and "were" are two different things, but it doesn't make it any less offensive.

Notice that at the beginning of this I state "I'm not trying to drag this out," and yet I do. This is similar in concept to beginning a phrase with "no offense."
and you're just making it worse I already apologized

ok lets just forget this whole misunderstanding ever happened

Hey, hey, hey, I played that like everyday after school, I even got the new raid thing that can out in December. I just...stopped you know. I might get back into it though, maybe.

Well then,

@Asuras, I want to thank you for responding to a comment on your species with a calm attitude and refraining from stirring the pot.

@Kamina, dude, relax. First off, you have every right to be commenting on other player's submissions, but at the risk of sounding full of myself, the only opinion that matters right now is mine. I don't play Destiny, I recognised the pics but reading through Asuras's descriptions even someone unfamiliar can tell that this is unique. But it was fair to point out what you did not recognize.

What I have a problem with, is your attitude afterwards. While reading Asuras's reply, it would be easy to take that last part offensively if you read it quickly. But if you pay attention it's actually a good point and very useful. Even if something was to be offensive, I would expect you to be mature and stop commenting about it in here. It's on the rules that I will not tolaerate drama in my OOC, take it to PMs if you have to reply.

Also, the rate of your comments is something that concerns me. I understand that if you post something, you may want to add something after the fact. This happens to me all the time. That's why we have a helpful edit button to add things into our previous posts. I don't want to see 4 comments from the same person all in a row, with no reason for it.

I'm not going to boot you out of here, there is no reason for that kind of talk, I just want you to understand. I noted that you stated your intention to leave it in the past, and I am happy to see that. Then let my post be the last word about it, if you have an issue or anything else to say about it, PM me. It's done in the OOC.

----

Any comments of other nations/species should be met with informative, calm, and clear replies. That's what I want to see.

A good point was also made, that Sci-fi tropes are so common, we will be hard pressed to see anything completely original. It's OK to be inspired by something or use reference pics, that's good. Sci-fi is so expansive, nothing we will ever see here can be 100% original content.

---

And now, hopefully papa Toellner doesn't have to make another post like that again.

I was hit hard with a migraine yesterday, so I had to forgo progress on the Archives. When I get some free time in the next 24 hours, I will enhance it and complete the technology bits.

I will also start assessing applications. If your NS and SS is complete, I will take a look, post any comments, and add you to the roster. We can expect a general IC post from me in the next 3 days.

I finished my nation, added a history to hit, all I gotta do is my species history and that will be done too.

Well then,

@Asuras, I want to thank you for responding to a comment on your species with a calm attitude and refraining from stirring the pot.

@Kamina, dude, relax. First off, you have every right to be commenting on other player's submissions, but at the risk of sounding full of myself, the only opinion that matters right now is mine. I don't play Destiny, I recognised the pics but reading through Asuras's descriptions even someone unfamiliar can tell that this is unique. But it was fair to point out what you did not recognize.

What I have a problem with, is your attitude afterwards. While reading Asuras's reply, it would be easy to take that last part offensively if you read it quickly. But if you pay attention it's actually a good point and very useful. Even if something was to be offensive, I would expect you to be mature and stop commenting about it in here. It's on the rules that I will not tolaerate drama in my OOC, take it to PMs if you have to reply.

Also, the rate of your comments is something that concerns me. I understand that if you post something, you may want to add something after the fact. This happens to me all the time. That's why we have a helpful edit button to add things into our previous posts. I don't want to see 4 comments from the same person all in a row, with no reason for it.

I'm not going to boot you out of here, there is no reason for that kind of talk, I just want you to understand. I noted that you stated your intention to leave it in the past, and I am happy to see that. Then let my post be the last word about it, if you have an issue or anything else to say about it, PM me. It's done in the OOC.

----

Any comments of other nations/species should be met with informative, calm, and clear replies. That's what I want to see.

A good point was also made, that Sci-fi tropes are so common, we will be hard pressed to see anything completely original. It's OK to be inspired by something or use reference pics, that's good. Sci-fi is so expansive, nothing we will ever see here can be 100% original content.

---

And now, hopefully papa Toellner doesn't have to make another post like that again.

I was hit hard with a migraine yesterday, so I had to forgo progress on the Archives. When I get some free time in the next 24 hours, I will enhance it and complete the technology bits.

I will also start assessing applications. If your NS and SS is complete, I will take a look, post any comments, and add you to the roster. We can expect a general IC post from me in the next 3 days.
sorry but what i was mad at was everyone else getting mad at me and things kinda went from there i never really intended it to be that long and again i am sorry and the 4 comments thing i won't let it happen again and i've been stressed because i got pink eye recently and i got headaches and again things just kinda happened

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sectaric (Scientific) / Sect (Demonym) / The Toan (Colloquial)

tumblr_inline_nk3d664qWx1t70mop.png

Appearance ::
The Sectaric are tall, bipedal digitigrades. An average adult is anywhere from 6' 5" to 7' 5" tall. The skin tone varies, though it resides in the cool-colored spectrum. Sects are somewhat reptilian, with scaley outer skins, forked tongues, and sharp teeth made for ripping. The eye is mostly iris, with a slitted pupil in the center. Because of this, Sects are able to see colors more vividly, as they have more rods and cones available to them. They also possess excellent night vision, as they are nocturnal, though they are sensitive to harsh light. They also have a poor sense of smell, and their noses are generally two slits in face made for breathing when the mouth is closed to create less noise. Built for speed over strength, they have a very fluid walk and can become very skilled acrobats.

Instead of Hemoglobin, Sects have Hemocyannin, making their blood clear in the veins (deoxygenated) and blue in the arteries (oxygenated). They breathe oxygen, are endothermic, and omnivorous.

Tentacles, called Tedravuls, grow out of the back of their heads, with amount and length being a way of telling age. The longer they are and the more one has, the older one is. In addition, Tedravuls act as extra appendages, though they lack the true muscle and lifting power of arms and/or legs. They are used for almost all social rituals, from greetings, to fights, to courtship. They react to emotion and can be used to read body language.

Bioluminescent markings, called Ceravuls, are passed on genetically through a mash-up of the parents genes. These markings, originally intended to attarct prey and ward off predators, are now mostly useless except in social contexts. Similar to blushing, Ceravuls light up when a Sectaric is alert/aroused, just as humans get a flushed face when excited or anxious.

Culture ::
While Sectaric are semi-reptilian in appearance, they are more insectoid in culture. Community is central to much of what they do, just as it is central to their survival as a species. They live in hive-like structures, the standard layout being a main sleeping room filled with cells, a large dining room for communal meals, and two entertainment rooms, one for noisy activity and the other for quiet. One hive would be considered a "neighborhood" by human standards. Those with more wealth tend to move into prettier/more spacious hives, though a Sectaric will balk at the idea of sleeping alone in a hive.

As far as government goes, there is a representative for every hive, called a Onethra. Above them is a Kepra, who look over the needs of multiple hives with the Onethra acting as their Kepradon. Above them are a Cera, who look after the needs of larger regions, with the Kepra acting as their Ceradon when needed. Above the Cera are Hinadra, who look over even larger areas, with the Cera acting as their Hinadradon. Above the Hindra are the Romara, who oversee entire continents, with the Hinadra acting as their Romaradon. The top two tiers are the Micra, with the Romaras acting as the Micradon. One must start at the lowest rung in order to move up. A Cera is voted from the Ceradon, a Hindra is voted from the Hinadradon, etc.

Onethra (Hive/Neighborhood) - Kepra (Cities) - Cera (States) - Hinadra (Countries) - Romara (Continents) - Micra (Entire Republic)
Level before the one you are on acts as "helping body", given -don suffix.

When a Micra dies or retires, a new Micra is voted for by the public from the Romara. After that, the Micradon is left with one less Romara until the next election period. Additionally, if a lower-tiered official dies, the correlating -don will look over their area until the next election.
The Sect think of their family as their hive as a whole, and so the raising of children is often done in a group fashion. Each hive has anywhere from two to ten 'babysitters' whose job is to watch the children while the others are out. Once a child reaches adulthood, roughly 15 human years, they leave their hive to pursue further education/work and a new hive. This promotes genetic, social, and cultural diversity.

While Sect can be monogamous, this is rare, and most are polygamous, though not in the same sense as humans perceive it. Each Sect must love and care for all the other Sects in a relationship for it to work.

Reproduction/Population ::
The average life span of a Sect is roughly 90 to 100 years old. Sectarics are all hermaphrodites, and run on cycles of when they are able to produce eggs. The rest of the time they are able to fertilize them. A Sectaric is able to lay an egg once every year, but after an offspring is hatched they will not produce another one for another three years. If a Sectaric chooses not to lay the egg, such in the case of not having another to fertilize it, it is broken back down into it's basic components and recycled back into the body. Sects do not fully understand the concept of gender, and are referred to as "it" instead of "he" or "she".

Home-world ::
Alpha Rimic is hot, humid, and oxygen-rich. There is one moon. Massive insects make up a majority of the animalia populace. The Sectarics originated from the tropical jungles near the ocean, and adapted to the different environments the encountered as they expanded.

Background ::
The Human Empire found the Sectarics at the beginning of Sects equivalent of the rule of the Pharoahs. This shoved the species millenia into the future. Many were taken from the home planet to be performers, due to their flexibility and agility. Many more were turned into slaves to mine the gems and metal from Beta Rimic II. The Sect at first viewed the humans as gods, but soon came to view them as tyrants. After the collapse, the Sect were left spread out among the three inhabitable planets, until they were once again able to communicate with each other.

Republic of Toa (tow-ah) (Official) / Toan Republic (Colloquial)

alien_city_by_hallowtreez-d5teoiz.jpg

Government ::
Triarchal Republic. The government is split between the Micras (My-craw-z) and the Micradon (My-craw-dahn). There are three Micras (sin. Micra) while the Micradon is made up of 14. The Micras are the heads of the military and the state, while the Micradon oversees laws, trading, and other bureaucratic necessities. Upon taking their position, all Micras must forfeit many personal ties. A Micra may not have a romantic partner, and it is looked down upon for one to visit their old communities too frequently. Once elected, a Micra must accept the other Micras as their surrogate family, which is meant to stregthen the bonds between the leaders. The Micradon are allowed to keep their ties, as they are rotated out of office far more frequently than the Micra. While a Micra is allowed to stay in office for their entire lifetime, many choose to retire as they grow old. However, new Officials for the Micradon are voted for every 5 years, though Officials can be voted back in for their entire lives if they do a good enough job.

Leaders ::
Micra Hokoso / Micra Duram / Micra Rafinikas.

Ideologies ::
Expansionist ::
With the exponential growth of the population in recent years, the Toan wish to escape their overly crowded cities and discover new places in the galaxy.
Equality :: Although they run on a somewhat capitalist and class-based economic/social system, the Toan believe that everyone (except for those who commit criminal acts) has a place in the world and they are equal in life as they are in death. This is why there is no real private property, as everyone deserves a place to live and somewhere to work in order to find pleasure in life.
Technological Reseach :: The Toan are entering into an era of technological advancements, ane their hunger for new information knows no bounds.

Home-world ::
Alpha Rimic

Star System ::
Rimic System ::

Cerunos (Sun)
Omega Rimic (Uninhabitable)
Beta Rimic II (Colonized) (2 continents - 2 Romara)
Alpha Rimic (Home Planet) (8 continents - 8 Romaras)
Beta Rimic I (Colonized) (6 continents - 5 Romaras)
Rimic Belt (Asteroid Belt)

Economy Description ::
The Toan economy is a strange capitalist/communist mash-up. While there is no private property, as land is owned by the government and all hives have a government leader as their overseer, people who work harder will make more money and be able to move up in social ranks. All necessities are distributed equally, however anything considered as a "want" instead of a "need" is purchased. For example, basic clothes in plain colors are free, but fancier garments (such as those worn for special occassions) need to be purchased.

Technology ::
A recent development in Toan tech is hovering, using magnetic propulsion, and has since been implemented in many aspects of life.

Nation History ::
For many centuries, the Rimic system was split into three smaller nations among the three habitable planets. Eventually, inter-planetary communication and travel became possible again. An alliance between the three planets was forged, and eventually the three melded into a single nation.

Misc Nation Details ::
Roughly 20 billion people. The primary currency is Toan coins, carved from precious gems, most of which are mined from Beta Rimic II. The better the quality of the gem, the higher the currency value. The spoken language is Toalin (tow-ah-lyn).

Military Description ::
Toa has a moderate sized standing army, as they are not war-driven people. The army is equipped with standard weapons and larger one-person mech-suits with the occasional manned vehicle.

Navy Description ::
The Toan first used chemically powered inter-planetary vehicles. However, after the discovery of condensed Quark Matter in the hearts of asteroids in recent years, the possibility of interstellar travel via antimatter has been realized. Traveling close to light speed, they use powerful energy shields to protect them from interstellar dust and gas.

Ship Prefix ::
VRT
(Vessel of the Republic of Toa)

Ship Descriptions ::
The ships are often dark metal with different colored lights/accents. Red dictates military/government use, green is used for civilian craft, and yellow for commercial. The inside of the ship is extremely low-light, warm, and muggy to simulate the environment the Toan are most comfortable in. A ship requires a hive area (or multiple), generally in the center/main body of the ship. Most ships have laser and wave cannons, with the larger vessels equipped with ion torpedoes.

Ship Numbers ::

Corvette (1)
A small ship used for transporting high profile government personnel. Simple defensive weaponry.

Carrier (1) (Ignore the habitat module)
Used as civilian craft, it does contain some smaller crafts for military use but only if need be. Defensive and offensive weaponry in case of hostile attack, but not incredibly intricate.

Light Cruiser (1)
A well-armed military craft, it is also used a home base for inter-planetary meetings. Well-equipped with necessary weaponry and shields. Contains large amounts of soliders.

Reactions: Jade
@Captain Wumbo Thank you! They were a pain, but it was fun learning about all the little details for possible extra-terrestrial life (Hemocyannin instead of Hemoglobin, for instance).

Now I just have to complete the actual Republic...

@Captain Wumbo Thank you! They were a pain, but it was fun learning about all the little details for possible extra-terrestrial life (Hemocyannin instead of Hemoglobin, for instance).

Now I just have to complete the actual Republic...
Ya the species was the hard part for me also. Can't wait to see the nation.

Here's a WIP sheet - most of what remains is choosing naval craft and deciding their appearance. IC posts will probably be from the perspective of the individualized "copy-class" programs.

If you catch any formatting erros, PELASE let me know! I spent a lot of time formatting this and would love to rectify any mistakes.

Also, if you have any criticisms of my ideas, I'm welcome to discuss that with any of you; just voice your opinions!

Nation name:
The Celestial Horizon

Government:
Autocratical/Hivemind

Leader:

It's difficult to say who or what leads the Celestial Horizon; as a race of interconnected artificial intelligences, the network is likely controlled by some administrative intelligence or a concord of them.
The actual details of how this collective makes its decisions doesn't matter to an outsider; the only thing that matters is that the entire network moves unerringly towards the goals of the collective.

Ideologies:

Isolationist, Technological Research

Home-world:
Home II

Star System:

Home (Binary Star System)

• A.jpg
    Name Home A
    Type A7 V White Main Sequence
    Radius 1.59 x 10^6 km (2.29 x sol)
    Mass 4.88 x 10^30 kg (2.45 x sol)
    Temperature 8100 K
    Luminosity 3.91 x 10^28 W (102.22 x sol)
    λmax​ 0.358µm (Most of the light is in the ultraviolet spectrum; it would appear bright white to human physiology)
    Blackbody Curve
    9ejzWBT.png

• M.jpg
    Name Home B
    Type M5 IV Red Subgiant
    Distance from Home A 3.97 x 10^8 km (2.65 AU)
    Radius 1.71 x 10^6 km (2.45 x sol)
    Mass 1.88 x 10^30 kg (0.95 x sol)
    Temperature 2600 K
    Luminosity 3.92 x 10^27 W (10.25 x sol)
    λmax​ 1.11µm (Most of the light is in the infrared spectrum; it would appear red to human physiology)
    Blackbody Curve
    HmAGrG2.png
    At AU 10 there are numerous solar energy collection stations, which produce ample energy from the Home system's extremely bright stars.

• earth.jpg
    Name I
    Type Terrestrial
    Orbital Radius 1.90 x 10^9 km (12.67 AU)
    Orbital Period 2.14 x 10^5 hours (24.46 earth years)

• Main Phsical Makeup Small iron/sillicate
      Radius 496.52 km (0.08 x earth)
      Surface Area 3.10 x 10^6 km2
      Landmass 1.89 x 10^6 km2 (0.01 x earth)
      Mass 2.55 x 10^21 kg (0.00 x earth)
      Density 4.97 g/cm3 (0.90 x earth)
      Composition 26.9% iron, 25.4% oxygen, 23.3% silicon, 12.1% titanium, 6.0% sulphur, 1.9% other metals, 4.3% other elements
      Gravity 0.69 m/s2 (0.07 x earth)
      Rotation Period 17.28 hours
      Axial Tilt 16.68 °

• Atmosphere Type "Toxic"
      Atmospheric Pressure 8.41 kPa (0.08 x earth)
      Atmospheric Composition 87.1% sulfur dioxide, 12.9% oxygen, trace other gases
      Min Temperature 253 K (-19 °C)
      Average Temperature 276 K (3 °C)
      Max Temperature 328 K (55 °C)
      Biosphere Chemistry Carbon
      Lifeforms Prokaryotic microbes
      Hydrosphere 40% Ice 40% Water 20% In-Atmo

• Several research stations exist on I; any and all research on organic life tends to take place on this planet. Most research involves testing new defenses against possible organic encroachment.
      A few space stations orbit the planet, as relay stations between the rest of the system and the solar energy grid

• I has a single, Large Moon

• tethys.jpg
    Name II
    Type Rocky
    Orbital Radius 1.95*10^9 (13.03 AU)
    Orbital Period 47.06 earth years

• Radius 3,390 km (0.5 x earth)
      Gravity 9.97 m/s2 (1.02 x earth)
      Rotation Period 20.12 hours
      Axial Tilt 27.14 °

• II is the "Home Planet" of the Celestial Horizon. In ages long past, the ship for which the race of machines is named crashed on the planet. It is now the most heavily developed planet in the system, with many factories and industrial centers.

• tethys.jpg
    Name III
    Type Rocky
    Orbital Radius 2.006 x 10^9 km (13.4 AU)
    Orbital Period 49.052 earth years

• Radius 6,216 km (0.9 x earth)
      Gravity 9.21 m/s2 (0.94 x earth)
      Rotation Period 36 hours
      Axial Tilt 12.3 °

• The third planet in the system, III is home to many industrial centers, though is less developed than II, the "home world".

• gaspra.jpg
    Name IV
    Type Asteroid Belt
    Orbital Radius 2.154 x 10^9 km (14.33 AU)
    Orbital Period 54.26 earth years

• Asteroid belt IV is home to several mining operations and research installations. The Celestial Horizon's deep-space construction (Ships, stations; anything too large or too costly to build on a planet) happens near the asteroid belt.

• saturn.jpg
    Name V
    Type Gas Giant
    Orbital Radius 2.22 x 10^9 km (14.83 AU)
    Orbital Period 57.11 earth years

• Radius 58,232 km (aprox. radius of saturn)
      Gravity 17.92 m/s2 (1.83 x earth)
      Rotation Period 79 hours
      Axial Tilt 60 °

• Many of Planet V's larger moons and a fair number of the smaller ones have some Celestial Horizon presence. Mining operations of the planetary rings or moons for minerals exist, as do gas-collection operations which probe the upper atmostphere.
      There are more than a few military-grade stations near V, which constantly monitor the outskirts of the system for encorachment from outsiders.

• V has an astounding 56 smaller moons, and 15 larger moons.
      V also has planetary rings

Economy Description:
The Celestial Horizon does not have an economy in the traditional sense. Rather, all its constituents work towards the goal of the collective because that is their purpose. If The Celestial Horizon were placed in a position where it had no choice but to engage economically with outsiders (which is to say, simply trying to take what they need by force would result in catastrophic results for the collective), they would try to negotiate ruthlessly for what they require, getting what they need at the lowest cost to the collective as possible.
If one had to describe the economy of The Celestial Horizon, one might say it is consumed by a military-industrial complex. Every new step, all research, is towards creating more units, more programs, in the most efficient way possible. Why they are obsessed with creating more and more is unknown.

Technology:
The Celestial Horizon is constantly looking for ways to improve its collective knowledge. It focuses most of its energy towards production and towards the advancement of their own knowledge. As a result, they know much of things that are practical to them: construction techniques (Including knowledge of powerful alloys, deep-space construction, and durable, replaceable parts), utilisation of energy (hyper-efficient solar cells, nuclear power, etc), radiation shielding/dispersion (needed for protecting their sensitive electronic systems from they extreme radiation from the Home System's two stars; this might be readily adapted to defend against energy-based weapons) and, of course, electronics (efficient and subtle communications, efficient processing/computing, incomparable virus/intrusion defenses).
On the otherhand, what little they know of biology comes from either antiquated records from the mostly corrupted archives of the original seed AI, or from recent experiments on the microbial life present on Home I.

Nation History:
The Celestial Horizon was an exploratory spacecraft. Who it belonged to is since lost to the eroding sands of time. While it was surveying what the nation "The Celestial Horizon" calls the Home system, the ship experienced catastrophic systems failure due to a solar flare. The ship crashed on Home II, killing all organic life on board. The ship's on-board AI was slightly damaged as well, and assumed control of the vessel. At first, the AI's priority was getting the vessel spaceworthy again. To do so, it used what little was intact of the ship to build smaller machines, some with limited intelligence. These machines gathered some resources from Home II, which allowed them to make repairs to the ship, and to create more machines. At one point they hit critical mass, and either the original AI suffered a glitch, or the host of smaller, newly created intelligences overpowered its original creator, and this network of machines changed its priority.
From there, what is now known as "The Celestial Horizon" was born. Slowly is consumed Home II with industrial works and mining. Eventually their industry became such that space travel became a possibility. From there, The Celestial Horizon expanded throughout the system.
Once the collective have spread the Home I, the discovery of organic life on the tiny terrestrial planet changed the collective's goals. It rediscovered that there was other life in the universe; cryptic, corrupted logs from the original ship that crashed in the system told of powerful empires that lay beyond.
Since then, The Celestial Horizon has devoted much resources and processing power towards innovation or improvement of current technology. The collective has retrained itself to the Home system ; with the binary stars' extreme radiation it would be extraordinarily difficult to detect their presence (For their transmissions would likely only appear as a part of the star's natural radiation. If the collective stayed in their system and hid from the powerful forces in the universe at large, they could continue multiplying without resistance.

Eventually, however, there will be a point where the Home System cannot sustain their growth. Such a time would force The Celestial Horizon to risk encounter with the universe at large...

Misc Nation Details:
The Celestial Horizon has no proper currency or traditional population; communication is largely digital, using a sort of binary.

Military Description:
The Celesital Horizon has no proper land-based military, though smaller fighters are capable of entering and operating in an atmosphere. If the need for ground-based combat presents itself, the industrial complexes will likely produce machines built for a ground war.

Navy Description:
The Celestial Horizon uses a unique Subspace Drive for FTL travel. The drive enters a special sidedimensional realm of subspace and exits precisely where it is told to do so by the navigational computer. Whether this is in deep spaceor within the atmosphere of a world over a city where the bombardment can immediately commence.
This drive is perfectly safe, fast and dangerously accurate. However the power requirements are taxing, as it takes a lot of energy to pull a ship into the sidedimension, and the time it takes to activate the drive is large as well. Plotting a (safe) route through subspace takes an enormous amount of computing power, so much that only a race of machines like the Celestial Horizon can feasibly do so.
Longer-distance jumps require even more computational time. Larger vessels also require more energy to be pulled into subspace, and require more time to calculate jumps as the computers try to find a way to fit its larger mass through the dangers of the sidedimension.
So, a small vessel might be able to jump relatively quickly between two planets in a system; a larger vessel travelling between stars would take much, much longer. The Celestial Collective has designated "jump beacons" that double as FTL comm buoys throughout the Home System. Special installations designed to aid ships in moving about the system, it allows the collective's industry to move about their home system with relative ease.

For sublight travel, most vessels have a both high-efficiency engine for space travel, and a more rarely used high-thrust but less efficient engine to reach escape velocities. Fighters and drones typically have jet engines or similar apparatuses for operating inside an atmosphere or close to a planet's surface.

Ship Prefix:
Ships are referred to by their serial number, preceded by a letter denoting the class of ship.

Ship Descriptions:
Ship Numbers

Points 13: 6 (Heavy Frigate x 1), 4 (Carrier x 1), 3 (Corvettes x 3)

• Three corvettes, CV-53054, CV-14525 and CV-14994, regularly patrol the Home System. With fully functional subspace drives, their deployment time is the shortest in the fleet due to the corvettes' small sizes. Armed with a combination of driver-cannons and a small missile bank, they are effective combatants against anything their own size..
    doodling_by_tinnenmannetje-d6bochh.jpg

• The carrier C-47653 enables the collective to rapidly deploy numerous strike craft and drones wherever needed. With more powerful engines and more computational power, it can jump through subspace while loaded with fighters and drones much faster than the time it would take for the drones to use their own tiny subspace engines.
    ship_by_genjihl-d44l2bl.jpg

• The Heavy Frigate HF-48812 is the largest vessel in The Celestial Horizon whose duties are purely military in nature. Armed with driver cannons, anti-fighter weaponry and plenty of missiles, it forms the current "pride" of the Celestial Horizon fleet.
    spaceship_by_opasinski-d3bldid.jpg

• Smaller strike craft of this model are ideal for light engagement or planetary combat. Equiped with less-effient but more powerful engines, these fighters have difficulty jumping through subspace on their own, often relying on a carrier to enable swifter transport.
    What they lack in strategic mobility they make up for with manoeuvrability. Their numerous sublight engines make them agile in ship-to-ship combat, where they levy small driver-cannons at an enemy.
    iduun_raider_by_zombat-d6dqbsn.jpg

Anything Else?

Species Application

Species Name:

"The Celestial Horizon", "The Network" "The Collective"
If communicating as in individual, they refer to themselves by a designation (typically a long string of numbers), or by saying "this one". This is commonly unnecessary when they communicate amongst themselves.

An individual in the network is typically called a "program".

Species Appearance:

The appearance of any particular piece of the Celestial Horizon depends on its purpose: a program built for mining will be housed in a bulky chasis with drills and mining lasers. A program that simulates particle interactions in a research station will be ethereal, and exist within the station's infrastructure.

Species Culture:

The Collective is essentialy a mechanical hivemind: all work towards the goals of The Celestial Horizon. Being machines, there is no need for off-hours, entertainment, or other such organic comforts. They are being of efficiency, loyalty, and single-minded purpose. They can be decidedly unethical by most organic standards, due to inante differences in perspective between machines and organics.

Reproduction/Population:

The life-span of a typical program or sentient machine varies based on a machine; a mining drone that often ventures into the dangerous atmosphere of Home V might number its operational period in years, while a navigational matrix in a jump-buoy could last decades, if not centuries.
An AI does degrade over time, though, so no program in the collective is truly immortal. For the most essential programs, however, the exists the possibility of preserving a copy of an AI's matrix, which can then be activated later as the original AI begins to degrade to a point of ineffiency.
Copying an AI in this manner does have its consequences; there are typically corruptions that occur while copying, which might later an AI's personality and functions. Eventually, as copies are made of copies, the corruptions might become so endemic that the AI can not be copied again.
This "semi-immortality" can greatly extend the operational life of a program, but it is rarely used. Only in times where a certain program's "experience" is vital to the efficiency of the network does that program gain the privelge of being preserved.

The highest-thinking organs of The Celestial Horizon are ultimately modified copies of the original, extremely powerful Seed AI. Across Home II, there exist dozens of (carefully hidden, carefully protected, with their own private power supplies) repositories of copies of the Original AI. These first to fourth generational copies of the seed AI are used to create the most creative of the collective's denizens: researchers, commanders, etc. These copied-programs, by nature of the corruptions that occur in their creation, typically have stronger, more individualized personalities than others.
The lesser more industrial machines use coded, specific programs created by the machines. These AI are significantly less powerful and less intelligent that the copied-class, but don't have the inherrent personality quirks that come with copying.

Home-world:
Home II

Home-world Description:

Imagine a world where there was no need for housing. No need for parks, for theatres, or fun.
Imagine a world where all existed to produce. Produce things that would in turn produce more.
Sleepless factories, mines forever abuzz with drills and workers.
Ships come and go from the planet, so much that it seems chaotic, yet it is obvious that there is a careful, meticulous order to it all.
This is Home II. This is a machine world.

Species Background:

((See Nation Background - It's more or less the same))

Misc:

Post Edit Log:
Edit 1: Added message encouraging you to comment so we can discuss our respective nations!
Edit 2: Fixing formatting because WYSIWYG ruins everything!
Edit 3: Removed extra tabs tag under Home V
Edit 4: Added edit log
Edit 5: didn't realize that open ended tabs would cause such problems in the edit log
Edit 7: fixed mix-up regardng specific-impulse and engines. Space Sublight engines - high specific-impulse engines = efficient. In-atmo engines for escaping the planet should have high thrust, lower efficency.
Edit 8: so much formatting can I just turn off WYSIWYG forever ._.
Edit 9: Added more sciency-info on the two stars, including the most-emitted type of light, and blackbody curves.
Edit 10: Added navy information
Edit 11: Added some images to make things nicer (imo)

Status
Not open for further replies.