A New Beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serena sighed as she transformed back, collapsing to the ground outside. She shivered, thinking she was surprised she held her form that long. She had watched people go in and out of that tavern and luckily hadn't been spotted yet.
Slowly lifting herself up, she decided to peek inside and see what was going on...she wanted to see the owner again more than anything.

Lifting herself up to the window, she peeked inside. She could see lots of people eating, drinking, laughing. So much was going on.

Suddenly, the Dwarvf's eyes snapped open, and he began to rise, it was rather anticlimactic due to his shorter size, but the fact that he was armed did give you an unsettling feeling of apprehension. He blinked a few times, looking around as if he woke up in the middle of nowhere. He grumbled "Where tha hell am I?" He made a fist, obviously surprised the mug has been taken away from him. He stared down at his hand for a moment, before he started to cry. He sobbed into his hands, which was rather unexpected of the battlehardened dwarf you would normally find. "Oh woe's me!" He almost shouted "I can't take it anymore!" He fell to his hands and knees, looking down on the earth

Serena cried out in surprise and fell backward at the dwarfs declaration. She didn't even see him stand from the bench.
She didn't have any time to transform, she didn't even know if he could see her.

She wanted to run..to hide. Still, there was something about him that made her feel sad. She felt sorry to see him so upset.
She decided to take a risk...she slowly walked up and placed her hand on his shoulder.
"Umm..what's wrong?" She said quietly.

Last edited:
The Dwarf began shouting things like "I could have saved her!" and "It's all my fault" In a barely intelligible murmur as if he were trying to say all of them at once. He suddenly got to his feet again gasping for air "The pain!" He looked like he was choking on something "I can't take it anymore!" He ran back inside the bar, The dwarf stopped just before he burst into the bar. He stopped at her sense of pity, after the incident all he got was pity from others, and he hated it..But there was something about the girl that seemed genuine, so he decided to answer. "Whats wrong you say...?" He turned to her "My world is falling apart."

Last edited by a moderator:
Dregon sat down again and watched everyone go on with their day. He remembered his daughter only like it was yesterday. Her beautiful blonde hair went down to her waist. It was always braided and brushed. She wore a beautiful white dress. All Dregon could think about next was the white dress soaked with red. Her hair turned dirty. Her pale skin was no longer glowing it turned pale. Dregon couldn't do anything about it. Why wasn't he there when his daughter had gotten killed?

Dregon felt the need for an alcoholic beverage to he ordered one and placed a gold coin on the table for it. He turned back around, looking at the small girl in Silvia's arms. She was cute, truly innocent looking. She must have been freezing. Dregon knew he had kid clothes because he was going to give them to his daughter but she never got them. Dregon pulled, warm winter clothes out. But why should this girl receive them? She was being cared for by Silvia at the moment.

She seemed confused. The dwarf acted strangely, first is was sadness, then anger and confusion, now sadness again. She felt for him, empathy was just natural for dryads it seemed. She slowly sat on the bench again, gazing at him.
"You said you could have saved her and that your world is falling apart. What do you mean?"

This was the first person she had interacted with, before the tavern owner and she was extremely nervous, but she also wanted to know what was bothering him so much. She gestured for him to sit, her leaf green hair swaying in the wind. Her handmade tunic clinging to her thin, athletic body. Her green and blue colored eyes seemed to amplify the sincere look of concern for the dwarf.

She hoped she could help.

((this is kinda what i envision her to be))
Ryvah_Dryad_by_powree.jpg

(( Well shoot, I am so far behind!!! Again, sorry for the late reply guys... ))

Aleina woke up suddenly. Realizing she had fallen asleep while the commotion had died down. Sleepily she pushed the muss of hair away from her face and gasped ever so quietly. "Oh dear. I must have fallen asleep." She said, trying to shake the sleep from her eyes. "My apologies everyone." She said as she brushed herself off and fixed her work dress.

Akarias walked in just then and yawned. "Looks as though I fell asleep as well." He said. "Apologies from both of us."

"Pom," the child said, blinking as the woman patted the tangled poof on top of their head. They were still holding the coins in their hands, not bothering to count them as they would all go to food - as much food as they could buy. Pom's life was sleep and food. The four things they knew how to do were speak, beg, sleep and eat.

It wasn't like the tiny orphan had had any chance to learn anything else since their parents were killed when they were still just a toddler. They had left the home they were born in with a name, a body, and a will to live, and not much more. Even simple things like love, gender, curiosity, and joy were foreign to them. Pom's life was one of existence, not exploration.

Aleina turned her gaze to the small child who had spoken her name. She look so small and thin and, gods forbid, cold as the winter snow. She hurriedly jumped up and looked at the child from head to toe to make sure there were no signs of frostbite. The poor child hardly had any clothes on, and in this weather it was hardly possible for her to still be alive.

"The gods must be watching over you, dear. It's certainly a shock that you're not experiencing hypothermia, especially considering how small and malnourished you must be." She said, tears slightly coming to her eyes at the thought. This poor girl didn't even look like she had a warm home or a loving family to care for her. And to be left out in such extreme temperatures, not allowing her to lay by a fire to keep warm? It made her question some of the townsfolk. Were they really so heartless as to let a small child freeze to death?

Aleina quickly rushed back to the child, carefully handing her the mug of warm apple cider and a freshly baked pastry. "Here you go, dear. You must be incredibly thirsty, but be careful, its very hot." She said. Aleina quickly rushed to grab Akarias' cloak that had been dangling from a post and draped it gently around the girl's tiny shoulders.

It was unlike his normal self to act so vulnerable. But even the strongest have their times of weakness I suppose. The dwarf felt like he was drowning, constantly being pulled down by his past as he struggled and panicked to get up. For a moment he thought to turn away from right there and drown his fears in an alcoholic bliss, but a vision seemed to strike through him like water running through a dry riverbed, a small window to the past of days when he didn't drink so much, and when he was actually happy.. A daughter, he recalled. It was someone he had been repressing for nearly a week without end. Visions of a fire, and the screams..The worst part was that he could do anything but watch as his love died before him. The dwarf suddenly was shocked back into reality by a chilly breeze flowing by him, and he noticed he was just standing there. "I just..." he uttered each word slowly as if it hurt to talk about it "I lost someone.." He looked up at the woman "I truly am sorry for troubling you.." He sighed "The Maker has sent me on a dark path, and I fear I cannot see the light."

936x1248_1330_Fantasy_load_2d_fantasy_dwarf_warrior_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

Pom had stopped shivering, and was now still and silent as they were receiving yet another gift from yet another stranger. They dumped the coins down the front of their dress, which, with a long piece of rope tied tight around the waist, always acted as a good enough sack for them to put their begging spoils in.

Pom took the mug and the pastry, and immediately gobbled down the latter while heeding the woman's warning that the former was too hot to drink right away. Instead the child pressed the mug to their bruised left cheek, thinking the pleasant warmth would make it feel better, only to find that it became even more sore, the soreness radiating across their face. "Ow," Pom said, rubbing the painful area.

He took a pull of mulled cider from the tankard that had been brought to him awhile ago, silently watching as people took an interest in the orphan that had arrived not too long ago. How many of those had he left behind in the darker years of his life? Well, best not to dwell upon such things. It would lead him down a road he did not wish to revisit, one in which he tended to be rather boozed up. Instead he allowed himself the slightest of smiles as the child was in apparently good hands for the time being. Surely she had wandered into the right place.

There was a momentary thought for the dwarf that had been drinking a bit too much. While he didn't know the dwarf's reason for such, he did perhaps understand the need to some extent. Taking another drink from his tankard, he leaned back once more in his chair and let his thoughts roam once more as he absently let his left hand rest on the pommel of his sword out of habit. Where would the winds of fate carry him next? Truthfully he didn't care at the moment. No, it was time to allow himself a bit of a respite. Of course that was always easier said than done in his experience.

Last edited:
Serene sighed. non-elementals and nature creatures sure are a frail lot i guess."Who did you lose and where did you lose them?" She wasn't fully aware of the concept of death. When a elemental or a creature like her "died", they returned to the earth and were reborn basically. She honestly thought he had gotten separated from someone.

"Can't you go looking for them?" The dwarf did not respond at first. Perhaps he is trying to remember where he lost them. She decided to remain silent and wait for him to remember.

Akarias quickly appeared from one of the rooms. "The dwarf is gone. Has anyone seen him leave." He asked curiously. "Perhaps he woke and left." He mumbled.

Aleina looked up at him. "Maybe you should check outside, brother. I heard talking out there when I woke up." She said as she petted the child's soft yet tangled hair. She looked at the man who had questioned about the room. "Rooms are on the house, sir. Too many orders and such going on to keep track of everyone's requests." She giggled as she turned to look at the man that had bought all of her pastries. "Help yourself to that fresh batch, sir. I'll be making more shortly."

Akarias smiled at his sister. 'Poor woman works so hard to make everyone happy. I'll have to see to it that she gets a well deserved break.' he thought silently to himself as he opened the tavern door to find the dwarf completely sober and talking to a woman. He smiled.

"Hey there. How are you doing this morning, mate? You were out cold last night." He said with a chuckle. "And you ma'am? Why don't you two come inside where it's warm." He added.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dax sat and watched everyone talk and huddle around the small child who had everything given to her just in the past few minutes. Of course the women wanted to take her home, they were all over that idea but Dax just sat and watched her be babied. She had been alone all this time and she's still alive right? Maybe Dax had just been alone too much in his life and he needed some company. His house was in another town on a high mountain heavily protected by the finest guards. Of course the beggars were still there but children had a home and a good one at that!
He was being insensitive to the child's condition, he realized. He had become bitter unlike the man he had been a few months before. He wouldn't travel for a while after this. You can't let the child go. Where will she go after this? Dax said out loud to the girls who were around her.

He offered a slight nod of acknowledgement as the proprietor spoke of the rooms being on the house due to the hectic flow of activity. Well that was rather generous, however he would be leaving a payment he thought fair either way. He simply wouldn't feel right not doing so. Another pull of mulled cider was taken, and savored as he let his eyes close slowly once more, left hand rising from the pommel of his sword to absently scratch at an angular cheek.

The ebb and flow of his thoughts continued down their various paths as he lowered his hand to rest upon the smooth surface of the table he had chosen. Quietly he continued to listen to whatever conversations cropped up that reached his pointy tipped ears. He was quite content for the moment as he quietly hummed an old battle hymn to himself.

He opened his mouth to speak as Akarias walked through and greeted him. He responded with an empty chuckle. "Ello there, just...reminiscing I suppose." The sound of warmth and comfort, and a seat, unlike the rigid benches outside appealed to him, he followed Akarias before stopping as he opened the door, he turned to the woman and gestured for her to enter. "I suppose I could tell you my tale. An inquisitiveness rose in his eyes, he seemed neither happy nor sad, but simply willing. Even with his array of armaments that certainly made him look like a threatening foe, you could see that he was a genuinely good man.

Serena wondered why the dwarf wouldn't answer her. She wanted to know, but she shied away when Akarias came out. When the dwarf gestured for her to come inside, she instantly got even more nervous. Around actual humans? People? She gulped loudly, but stood and slowly followed him inside.

Once she was inside, she was instantly amazed. Looking from the window made this place seem smaller. Few of the people seemed intimidating, but she tried not to look at them.

Akarias smiled as he led the two inside. "Please have a seat anywhere you'd like. The fire has been going all night so it's quite warm in here." He said. "If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask."

Aleina smiled as she watched her brother trying to be helpful. At times of great struggle, it was hard for her to move on without him. But even when he wasn't there she could hear his voice in her head, promising her that everything would be alright. And here he was, years later, still offering a helpful hand. What would she ever do without him?

Aleina turned to look at the man that spoke. "I agree. The child will stay here as long as she needs. And what she really needs is some warm clothes and food to fill her empty belly." She looked to the girl who had gobbled up her pastry and giggled. "You need to build up your strength before you decide to do anything else, dear."

Reactions: 2 people
The dwarf sat himself by a table near the entrance, and gestured her to sit. "If you truly wish to my tale, I suppose I can tell it.." He ruffled his beard before calling over the waittress "But first, I'd like to order a bit of breakfast if that is fine with you." He took off his helmet, and set it on the table, making a rather loud clattering noise of steel against wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.