A Love-Hate Relationship

"Having a nice day?" she asked, seeing his giant smile. Playing a few notes on her piano, she hummed along with it, matching her voice to the tone of the key. Billy turned to him, smiling. "After work, we need to have an important conversation," she told him, though she continued smiling to show him it wasn't all that serious. "There's things we need to establish," Billy said, mocking a business-like manner.

The choir and the Orchestra conductors were chatting in the hallway, leaving the students to chat amongst themselves for a little longer. They were either flirting or scheduling a concert, Billy couldn't really tell. Of course, she doubted they were flirting, still, it was a little amusing to think that. It made her snicker a little, then she realized she must look crazy to Vincent.

Vincent was caught off guard. What serious business? He just hoped it was completely serious. But by the tone of her voice, it sounded like that. What could it be? The entire thing began to haunt him and haunt him, till when they had their free-time, he couldn't take it.

" What's it about? " He asked, with a sweet smile on his face. Maybe if he looked and acted sweet, he wouldn't have to wait. Was it bad? Did something happen? Was she still mad about the brother thing? Oh god, was she breaking up with him? " The 'serious business', I mean. "

No, no. It couldn't be. Vincent was just worrying himself again! It was probably about dinner with her parents- well, parent. Yeah, it was just something small.

"It's... Probably something to be discussed in private," she replied, shaking her head. "It's something we have to talk about though, y'know? Now that we're dating." As she finished speaking, the teachers came in and motioned for them to be quiet.

"Don't worry too much Vince!" Billy whispered to them as they all started warming up. She hoped he wasn't feeling panicky, that hadn't been her intention. It was a couple-y thing, it wasn't like she was mad at him or anything. (Though she still had an urge to hit him for lying) Hopefully, Vincent would relax. She didn't want him to be too tense through the rest of the day and work, it'd mess him up.

Vincent nodded, and sat back down. It was still bothering him to no end whatsoever. Even after choir...band. He tried not to think about it, like Billy said, but it was just... Almost exciting!

After school, he caught her at the lockers and made sure to catch her. " Do you want a lift to the store? " He asked, as he lugged his backpack over his shoulder. He had some weekend homework, but it wasn't anything he wouldn't be able to get done. He just had to finish some blue-prints.

After choir/band, Billy went through her day relatively normally. Despite the strange remarks from a few classmates now and then, it was all good. At her locker, she was putting away her books and putting her homework in her backpack. Math... English... Pretty much everything she missed the day before. She shut her locker as Vincent showed up.

Billy smiled and nodded, "Sure. Let me tell my dad though, before he worries about me not showing up all night." As she said this, she pulled out her phone and started typing out a text. Once it was sent, she looked back up at him. "You seem taller now," Billy commented quietly, giggling a little. Taking his hand in hers, she waited for him to start walking. "Anyway, I hope you haven't been worrying all day," she chided softly.

" What? Me, worry? Hardly. I almost completely forgot about it! " He said, with a small chuckle. Vince was lying, but he didn't want to tell her. Vincent walked his girlfriend to his car, and opened the door for her. Like a gentleman, of course.

Once he got into the car, he started it up and drove off to work. He kept his eyes plastered to the road like last time, and he never once turned away. Hell, the only time he took a single hand off of the steering-wheel to grab his phone, that was vibrating softly in his front pocket.

With his eyes still on the road, Vincent handed his phone towards her. " Check this for me, will you? " He asked her, as he took a turn towards the main-street.

The message was just from his mother, and it was just something that a regular parent would text. " Oh, Venny, I hope everything is all right! I miss you, but I'm sure she misses you more! You really need to tell her you love her more, along with visiting. Bye! "

Before they both knew it, they where at the store. He pulled up and parked, and made sure to shut off his car, and then turn to his girlfriend. " Who was it? "

Billy smiled and got in, thinking, What a gentleman. As they drove, she watched him concentrate on the road. It was amusing, he had such a serious look on his face. When he handed her the phone, she checked the message and read it over quickly, smiling.

"Your mom, Venny," she replied, with a playful smirk. Billy read the text aloud to him, then looked at him. "Who's 'she'?" she asked, smiling, "Your sister?"

Vincent blushed, and chuckled nervously. " Please, it took me years to get rid of that nick-name. If you start calling me that, I might start crying. " He joked, as he took his phone back.

Vincent's blush soon faded as she asked who the other 'she' might have been. Well, this was going to be hard to say. " Well, no, it isn't my sister. " He paused for a second. " What sister? Well, anyway, I don't have a sister. " He got out of the car, and made sure to lock his door. This was going to be awkward. How could he tell her it was his dog?

"But it's cute," she whined, getting out of the car. "Besides, you call me 'Bill.'" With a slight blush, she looked at him nervously. How could she not know it was his sister? He didn't even have a sister... Then, she looked at him, feeling a little worried.

"Who is it then? Aunt? Cousin? Old girlfriend I don't know about?" With the last one, she looked at him suspiciously. Her eyes softened though and she shrugged a little. No way, Vincent didn't seem like that kind of guy. "Anyway, who is it?" she asked again, smiling at him. "You don't have to tell me if it's personal. I'm just curious now."

" Ugh, fine, but if everyone else starts calling me Vinny I'm going to start yelling. " He joked, as they both walked into the grocery-store. He wore a quizzical look when she began naming relatives, and then... Girlfriend? Not even.

" Not my Aunt, or a cousin. And defiantly not a long-lost girlfriend. But in reality, she's.... " He sighed, and scrolled through his phone. Maybe with a picture it would help to explain it better. Once he found a picture, he showed her. " This is her. "

She was a Shiba Inu named Shelly, and according to the photo, she was very energetic. It was a simple picture, with Vincent and his friends holding up a large stick, and Shelly was clinging onto it with jaws of near steel.

"Fine fine, I won't call you Venny," she tells him, smiling. Billy waited for him to answer as they walked inside. She couldn't understand why he wouldn't just say it, and when he showed her the picture she was even more confused. "A dog? Why didn't you just say so?" Billy asked, laughing a little. "She's really cute," she told him, looking at the picture.

"How old is she? She looks like a puppy in the picture?" Billy asked, then she brightened and said, "Let's visit her and your mom tomorrow before dinner!"

Billy walked to the back, pulling out her work clothes from her small bag. "You're weird," she teased playfully, "You should've just said 'she' was a dog."

" That's not the kind of thing you would tell people. I won't just go around saying, ' oh, did you hear? my dog loves me! ' THAT would make me weird. " Vince said, with a laugh. " The picture is pretty old. She's bigger now, I just never got a good picture yet. " He chuckled softly.

" I might have to tell my mother, she absolutely loves visitors. " He smiled, and took out his own clothing. " She'll love you! They both will. " He said, with a chuckle. He soon exited from the room, knowing that the women would want her privacy. He wanted his too, but it didn't take long for him to change into his outfit.

Vince clocked into work, and checked to see where he would be working this time. He smiled, and waited for his girlfriend. They did work together again.

She smiled at him, waiting for him to leave. Just because they were dating didn't mean he could sneak a peek at her changing. Once he left, she quickly changed into her work clothes. Stepping out of the room, she clipped on her name tag and went to clock in. She found him waiting for her and smiled.

"By the way, it's not weird at all," she told him, walking to where they'd be working that day. "When I was six, I had a goldfish that I was convince I would marry someday," Billy admitted, blushing as she told him in a quiet voice. "I was heartbroken when my brothers learned to walk, because they knocked his bowl down and he died. Like... Legitimate heartbreak."

Billy went behind her register, laughing lightly. "Now THAT'S weird. Don't ever tell anyone about that," she told him.

Vincent laughed with her, not at her. He thought it was the cutest thing he has ever heard, and if he could, he would buy her another goldfish. " That's... Adorable. I'm serious, that's really goddamn cute. " He chuckled, but as soon as he started, he had to end.

The line was pretty long, and he had little to no time to talk at all. That was a shame, but he needed the money. Vince blasted through the costumers, and did so till closing time. He was beat, but the fact that his girlfriend was coming home with him was something to look forward too.

He walked with Billy towards the changing room, but broke off there. He went to change into his regular clothing, and waited for her outside the door. Jeez, how long did it take?

She smiled and laughed a little more, shaking her head. It was a busy day at the store, as if people were stocking up for the weekend, like they're hibernating or something. She and Vincent, though close, couldn't talk at all as they attended to their customers. By the time they were done, Billy's cheeks were sore from the "cheery" smile.

Walking to the changing room, she left Vincent. Billy changed pretty quickly and fixed her hair, though she then stood inside the changing room for a moment. Simply thinking. She was nervous about what she wanted to talk to him about as soon as they got to his apartment. What if he took it as her coming on too strong?

Billy had to talk to him about it though... Because... This was the first time she actually felt like she'd want to have sex with her boyfriend at some point. Of course, if he ever wanted to. She'd always been the 'until marriage' kind of girl, no exceptions. If he wanted to though, she'd make an exception for him... Which was what she wanted to talk to him about.

Finally, she left the changing room and smiled at him. "I'm ready, did I take long?" she asked, walking out to his car with him.

Vincent waited patently, but he let his mind wander. What could she possibly want to talk about? How serious could it be? Was he getting in trouble? Was he getting praised? He really didn't know, and he didn't know if he wanted too.

When she exited the room, he greeted her with a smile. " You took no time at all! " He told her, as they walked towards his car. He unlocked both sides, and opened the door for her once more.

Before they both knew it, they where on the road towards the apartment building.

After getting into the car, she leaned back in the seat and looked around thoughtfully. "Vincent, do you ever get lonely?" she asked him, leaning over and resting her head on his shoulder. "Or do you like living on your own?" Hopefully, she wasn't bothering him. He always looked concentrated while driving.

Billy lifted her head away after thinking that. She didn't want to disrupt him while he shifted gears or anything. Besides, they had the whole rest of the night for her to just curl up with him.

Vincent tensed up slightly when he felt her head on his shoulder. Oh god, he needed to keep his cool. If he got distracted, then both of their lives would end! He would probably kill himself if anything bad happened to Isabelle.

He stopped tensing when she left, but that only made him feel worse. " Not really. I'm usually wrapped up in my work, or I have friends over. I tend to keep myself away from the lonely side of things. " He said, as he turned his head slightly and tossed a smile her way.

After the short drive, he finally pulled into the small apartment parkinglot. " I live near the top, so it might be a long way up. " He said, as they both exited the car. He locked the door, and walked hand-in-hand with Isabelle up to his room.

The tension visibly left his shoulders once she'd lifted away. Billy smiled a little as he gave her an answer. Something about the thought of Vincent being lonely made her sad. Again, it was probably her conscience of how she used to be. It didn't seem to matter now though, she'd make sure that loneliness would continue to not be a problem for him.

As they arrived, she got out and held his hand as they walked up. It took kind of long and her legs were tired by the time they reached his apartment. Billy fought back the urge to complain about the elevator being broken. It game them some nice time alone though, even if they'd been silent for the most part. It was that happy, 'no words necessary' kind of silence.

As she waited for him to open the door, she rocked back and forth on her feet. "Before I say anything," she began, taking a deep breath. "I want you to know I'm sorry if you feel I'm coming on too strongly about the issue."

Vincent nodded to his girlfriend, and let her into the building. It was a small, comfy place. It had a few plants hanging around, and despite the walk up to the room, the view was absolutely beautiful. The entire place had a sort of smell to it, like old books and honey. It was probably because of the small bookshelves that littered the living rooms and the halls.

A few hanging chairs hung from the ceiling, he was most proud of that. Only because it took him weeks just to set up enough for his friends and himself, even with their help! But, once done, the living room was a complete little hideaway. He often found himself falling asleep in the eggchairs with a good book in his hands.

Vincent closed the door behind him, and guided her towards the living room. " Please, get comfy before anything. "