A Love-Hate Relationship

Her dad seemed worried, but let her stay. When it came time for work, he came into her room to persuade her to go. "I know you're not sick. I don't know what's wrong, but please go to work," he said.

"I refuse."

"Do I have to drag you there? Billy, I raised you, you don't have any moves. I know you go for the gut first when you hit people."

"Just give me today. Just. Today."

Finally conceeding, her father went to rest, then went to work early again. When her phone rang, she groaned and answered, "Hello?" Vincent's voice came from the other side, telling her had her homework. Before she could tell him anything, he hung up. "Dammit. Confound this boy," she groaned. After a while, she got up and pulled on her jacket, walking outside in her pajamas to wait for him.

An apology was being recited in her mind, over and over, as she waited.

After work, Vince changed into his normal clothes and got into his car. A deep breath later, and he was on the road. He took his sweet time getting from point A to point B, only because he wanted to get as far away from point B as possible. He knew that when he sees Isabelle he would only fall harder for her, even if his friends kept telling him that she was no good.

He just wanted her in every way possible. He wanted to be her friend. Her best friend. Her sidekick. Her partner. Her lover. Her everything.

Once Vincent go into the correct road, he noticed her waiting at the front of her house. He parked at the curb, and opened the door. He got out, and with him, a bundle of homework. " Get inside. You'll get sick again. " He said, as he handed her the books. He turned around and tried to make his way back into his car.

"You know I'm not sick, I--" she began, taking the books as he turned away. "Would you wait? Seriously. Look I..." she took a deep breath, but everything was quite clear.

"I'm sorry," she told him. "I'm sorry for being a bitch. I'm sorry for totally punching you in the gut when we were kids and you gave me a flower. I'm sorry for teasing you and laughing at you. I'm sorry for dating stupid guys who didn't care about me, when I had you right in front of me. I'm sorry for the rejection and ridicule and I want you to know that you can do better."

Billy took another deep breath, having said everything quickly but audibly. "I... Didn't realize... How much it all meant until you stopped and I... I missed it. I wanted to see your goofy smile and your cute wink that you do," she admitted. "And it's probably too late because you hate me, because I hate me too. I just wanted to apologize for the hell I put you through."

Was she apologizing? Well, it sounded like an apology. He hoped it was an apology, but really it should have been Vince who was apologizing. He frowned, and stepped forward. He threw his arms around her, and pulled her into a hug. " I don't hate you. " He started.

" I never hated you. Never once have I ever thought of one bad thing to say about you. I mean- you probably hear this from all of the guys, but you're perfect. Just everything about you leaves me in awe, and you have absolutely no right to hate any of that, okay? " He loosened his grip a little, in fear that she might become angry once more. " I don't care about all of those bad times we've had. I don't care about all of those punches you gave me, or how many times you've hurt me. Even if it does seem like I care, I really don't. " He chuckled at himself. " And I really can't do better because their is no one better than you. You're the only person I want to spend my time with. "

" I guess it sounds stupid, doesn't it? " He said, as he bashfully ran a nervous hand through his hair.

Here they were again. The tears. Only this time they started streaming down her cheeks. How could she have hurt this guy? Why didn't she accept it and see him for the sweet guy he was? She was the stupid one, all those stupid touchy jock guys she'd 'liked' when right here she had a sweet, romantic, Cello-playing... Vincent. He was a type all on his own.

"Yes it does," she told him, wiping her tears away, trying not to let him see. "I was always so mean to you, how can you still be so sweet?" she asked him. "I mean... It's taken me... What, ten years? To realize that you're the guy I want to be with. You're still willing to accept that? I... I slammed your fingers with a locker, you should be furious."

Billy smiled at him now, a genuine kind of smile. She opened the door and stepped aside. "Will you come in? Gary and Jared are asleep already," she said. "I'll make you coffee or something... Because I want to."

You're the guy I want to be with... Will you come in... I'll make you coffee... I want too... Those words spun around his head for some time, and before he knew it, he had the biggest smile plastered to his face. " You have absolutely no idea as to how long I've waited to hear you say that. " Once Isabelle- Billy, was inside, he followed after her.

He never really had been inside her house, but he had imagined what it would be like. It smelled wonderful, like cinnamon and vanilla. Almost like her. He smiled even bigger by now. Where they dating yet? He didn't want to bring it up, only because he didn't want to scare her off. They could just be friends. Vince was okay with that! He was her word over his.

" Should I whisper? " He asked, in a whisper.

Billy led him into the kitchen, smiling, and she started up the coffee maker. She shook her head, leaning against the counter. "Those twobare out like logs as soon as their head hits the pillow," she told him, then, a little red, "They didn't get much sleep last night, they were up pretty late."

For a moment, she stood there awkwardly, not sure what to say to him next. Why was talking to him so hard all of a sudden? She smiled a little, then laughed. "Yesterday... I'm sorry I called you dumb, confusing jerk," she said. "And... When I said I liked the radio station, it was only because I wanted you to talk to me."

"I realized... I was acting crazy yesterday, but I realize now it's because I missed you." She smiled at him and motioned for him to sit at the table. "Want me to tell you the truth about things? I've mulled it over and I think I've figured it out."

Vincent smiled, and sat at the table. " Oh no, you're fine. I can be a real jerk sometimes. " He coughed awkwardly into his fist. " You should have seen how badly I chewed your ex's out. " A nervous chuckle exited him, and he soon looked back to Billy. " Actually, I'd really like the truth. " He said, as he waited for a response.

(( Speaking of response, I'm sorry mine's short! My mother dropped off some food for me ))

She smiled, "You chewed them out? Is that why they all look scared of you nowadays?" She nodded and hesitated a moment, rethinking things. "Well... When you gave me that first flower, I had all guy friends so I didn't really know how to react. That's why I punched you, my dad always told me that if I got scared, I could punch someone and run," Isabelle told him, laughing a little.

"Anyway, the guys made fun of me, so I was mad at you. After a while though, I stopped being mad and considered apologizing... Which would've made our lives easier... Then... I don't know what happened. I think it was the fact that I knew my mom was cheating on my dad, even though I was only eight. I told myself I'd never cheat on dad..."

She paused to laugh again, "I was eight, that was my reasoning. But anyway, you kept doing things so something in my mind clicked in and told me that you were trying to take me away from my dad... I didn't realize it, because the reasoning stayed with me until now, but that's why I always pushed you away. Does that make me weird?"

((That's fine ^^ Don't worry about it))

" What? Absolutely not. If anything, it makes you more human. " He said, with a small chuckle. " But, I know what you mean. My dad left my mom and I, and we where absolutely heartbroken. More so my mother, she loved that man like no other. And I could see why, he was a real gentleman. I wanted to be just like him when I grew up. " He sighed, and played with his fingers. Twiddling his thumbs. This was a hard topic to talk about.

" He wrote me in his will before he left. I got his car when I turned 16, and a load of money to use for college. I only needed half, the rest I gave to my mother. She never really believed in violence, being the sweetheart she is, but believe me, if you where a guy and you punched me, I would have unleashed hell. " Vincent chuckled nervously once more. He hoped he sounded funny. " But don't worry, you're not alone. "

Vincent moved his hand forward, and rested it atop her hand. He ran his thumb over her knuckles for a moment, then pulled away. Her hands where soft. He wanted to hold them. He wanted to hold her.

She was shocked, her throat knotting up again. "I... I'm sorry, I didn't know," Billy said. If she had known... Maybe she would've been nicer to him during that time. She never really spoke to him or anything, he was always so bright, she couldn't tell.

Isabelle reached out when he pulled away, grabbing his hand and linking their fingers together. She laughed a little, "If I were a boy, you wouldn't have given me a flower."

Vincent smiled, and shrugged slightly. " You never know, really. If you where a cute boy, I might have given you a G.I.Joe action figure. " He gave her hand a small squeeze, and hesitated before be brought her hand up to his lips. He gave her a small kiss on the back of the hand, and soon placed it back on the table.

He looked down. " You don't have to be sorry. " He said, as he brought his eyes back up. " I never talk about it with anyone. Hell, I doubt if anyone else even knows. You're probably the first one. "

"I think I would've liked a G.I Joe more than the flower," she teased, blushing as he kissed the back of her hand. His lips felt soft and gentle, so sweet. Smiling, she stood up, pulling away. "Coffee," she said, so he wouldn't think she was pulling away for any other reason.

Pouring it into two mugs, she put in creamer and set one down next to him. She sipped at her coffee and looked up at the clock on the wall. "Do you... Have a curfew?" she asked, "It's getting late." Though, honestly, Billy didn't want him to leave yet. She wanted to cuddle him like a teddy bear and be able to go to school with him in the morning.

Vince shook his head when she asked about a curfew. " I live in my own apartment, so I can really stay out as late as I want. " He smiled to himself, and fixed the collar on his shirt. " I'm responsible ~" That was an absolute lie, but as long as it made her laugh, he was alright.

The man took a sip of his coffee, and made a face. He wasn't one to like bitter things. He took some of the creamer, and poured it in. That was more like it. He took another sip, and smiled. " The coffee tastes amazing. " He said, as be put the warm mug down onto the table.

She laughed gently. "That so?" she teased. Though, she wondered how lonely it got for him to live in a place all on his own. It made her want to ask him to stay all the more, but her dad would see the car in the driveway and go into defense mode. Even though she just wanted to cuddle the adorable guy in front of her, her dad would get the wrong idea.

That wouldn't work out well for Vincent.

She blushed and smiled at him. "Really? You know... I do have talent with making coffee, I can measure the right amount perfectly," Billy joked.

" I can tell, it tastes amazing. If I brought my water bottle, I would ask for some to wake up too. " Vincent shook his head, and chuckled at himself. " My coffee is either always bitter or always too strong. This is better than the stuff I buy at the coffee-shop! " He said, with another sip.

He wasn't being nice, the coffee really was amazing. He would kill to fall asleep in her grasp and wake up with a small pot of coffee every morning. It was probably everything he ever wanted. " You think you could teach me your ways? " He joked with a smile. Maybe it was an ancient recipe, or she just didn't get lazy with the measurements.

Billy laughed along with him and nodded. "I'll definitely take you as my apprentice," she told him, taking another sip. For a moment, she just stared at him, then she stood up and kissed him on the forehead, hugging him. "I'm not going to lie, you look really cuddly and I want you to sleep with me all night," she told him, "But my dad will hit you. Even if he didn't see you, my brothers are tattle-tales and would tell him."

She blushed and let him go, sitting back down. "Unless you want to strategically park your car somewhere else and sneak out the window in the morning, you'll have to leave in a bit," Billy told him. "Which is sad to say."

Vincent wanted the hug her for hours, but he let go when she did. He didn't want to do anything she didn't want, and he promised himself that. " Well, I'm always open for cuddling, but I really don't like being hit. " He chuckled softly. " You probably know that well by now. I could always just sneak out your window in the morning. I am part cat. " And by that, it meant that he had reflexes like a cat,

Billy giggled slightly. "Maybe that's why you look adorable. I have a soft spot for cats." Smiling, she finished her coffee and went to leave the mug in the sink. "Then, you can stay," she told him. Blushing a little, she clarified. "Just cuddling, nothing more."

He smiled, and drank the rest of his coffee. " Just cuddling. " He repeated. Vincent followed her to the sick, and placed his own mug next to hers. " Now, where exactly is this taking place? Do I need an invitation? Is there a sign-up form? " He couldn't tell how long he has waited to even get this close to her, it was almost as if it was a dream. he couldn't believe it was happening.