A Love-Hate Relationship

Billy remained confused for two reasons, Vincent and whatever was going on on the board at the front of the class. By the time it was over, she had a frown on her face. Just because she'd hit him with a locker didn't mean he should be rude and not help her with her books, right? At least that was common courtesy, wasn't it? Pouting, she flung her locker door open again, more from being angry than to try to hit someone.

Seriously, why did he have to choose that moment to stop being nice?

She threw in her books and grabbed others, slamming the locker shut. Why did she even care? Wasn't this the occasion she'd been wanting since she met Vincent? Yes. There was no need to feel angry or upset, matter-of-fact, she should be relieved.

So... Why was she walking to her next class with a some-what sad frown?

Vincent had to go to the highschool band room for his next class. Luckily, it was the college goers who occupied it now. Vince entered the room, with an instrument case in one hand and a folder in the other. When he first got out of highschool, he only applied to one college for two reasons. One, Isabelle was there, and he was sure that this year was the year that he would win her over. And two, it was the only one he wanted to go to. That college accepted him because of his high standards and his ability to handle situations.

It was a college for graphic art and music, which where the best of both worlds. The young man took his instrument out of it's case, and began to tune it up. He played in the orchestra, and be absolutely loved it. He was the second Cello on the right, and that, he wouldn't have it any other way. Nothing else was on his mind except his instrument, and the piece that was near and dear to his heart.

She headed to the choir room, which was right next to the band room. Usually she would see Vince in there, playing his cello and, sure enough. He was there. For a moment, she had subconsciously poked her head through the band room door just to look at him. Not the usual, disdainful look that she would give him but just... a blank stare.

When she realized what she was doing, Billy ducked out of the door way and half-ran half-stumbled to the choir room. "What am I doing?" she asked herself, heading over to the piano. She would play it while she and the rest of the choir sang, being led by the instructor. Only because she was the only one who knew how, since they'd gotten a new choir teacher this year and all she really knew how to do was sing.

It was alright though, the songs were usually soft and soothing. Billy always like choir and playing the piano, they were things that just seemed to come naturally to her.

After the strings got warmed up, their instructor entered the room and went through the motions. " Alright gentlemen, I just finished talking to the choir teacher. We are to accompany her classes for a few of her songs. This may seem last minuet, but we are to start today. Follow me to the choir room. " They all lifted their stands and instruments across the hall, and they where greeted with a number of eyes.

Vincent took his spot near the piano, but not as near as he wanted to. Every bone in his body screamed at him. Sit right next to her! Ask her to play a small part of the piece! Ask her SOMETHING! Show her you care! He shook off the voice, and simply sat next to another Cello player, that was close to the piano. The closest he ever got to her was when he walked over to simply press the D key, and then he tugged on the D string on his instrument. He tuned it one final time, and sat down.

The choir teacher started off with an announcement as soon as she walked in. "Ladies, I've asked the band instructor to assist us in a few songs," she said. Billy tensed a little as she went on. "I feel we should do a joint concert sometime in the future and, don't get me wrong Isabelle, but I'd like to hear a little more music while we sing."

This time, Billy wasn't sure what to expect. There were places to sit right next to her and she wasn't sure whether Vince was going to sit there or not. She was feeling so confused, she wasn't even sure if she wanted him to or not. As the Orchestra boys walked in, she found herself looking right at him again. He did sit nearby, but there was another Cello player in the middle.

When he walked over, Billy was sure he would say something. She'd already thought up replies! He left her gaping in shock when all he did was use the piano to tune his instrument. Really? He couldn't even smile or say 'hi'? Once he was sitting back down, Billy stood up with her hand raise.

"May I have the lavatory pass?" she asked the Choir instructor. Without waiting for an answer, she walked to the door, grabbed the pass from where it hung on the wall, and headed to the bathroom. Her mind was shooting a million thoughts a minute. It was unexpected, she was feeling woozy and confused.

Splashing water on her face and wiping it off with a paper towel, Billy took a deep breath. "It's all good," she told herself, "I mean... Maybe he's finally grown up and decided to stop acting like such a kid?" She found herself having an internal argument as she went back to class part of her saying, finally, and another part saying, something's wrong, I'm flipping out!

Did she leave because he got too close to her? Did she leave because he was sitting too close to her? Well, all Vincent knew was that they couldn't start playing with a piano player. All of the orchestra morphed with the choir, and just started an ongoing conversation. Three of the Soprano singers came over to 'chat' with Vincent, but they seemed to be flirting, if anything.

" Wow, you must have strong arms if you play that Cello all day. " One of them said. " Can I feel your muscles? " Without Vincent's consult, the ladies wrapped their fingers around his bicep and began giggling. He didn't know he even had muscle! With all of that behind them, they all had an ongoing conversation about college life and the differences between violin and viola.

When Isabelle walked in once again, everyone seemed to scramble back to their seats. The girls around the cello player seemed to take the longest, but regardless, they soon left. Both of the teachers started the students off, and the result was amazing.

Billy fought off the heat that threatened to make her cheeks redden when she saw the girls surrounding Vincent. What was that all about? Since when did girls go around flirting with him? Was this what happened when she wasn't looking? Why was she even questioning it, it wasn't like she was jealous or anything. She couldn't really blame them either, Vince had gotten pretty attractive now that she thought about it.

Wait... What?

Pushing her thoughts away, she sat back down at the piano. She started playing the notes, singing in rhythm with the other girls and the tune that was being played out by both the Orchestra and she. By the time class was over, her throat felt dry, but she was satisfied with how well things went. They'd sounded pretty damn good together.

However, with the music and singing done, her thoughts drifted back.

Billy was up and out of that class as fast as humanly possible. She almost dropped her things all over again, but managed to hold onto them. She must've looked crazy, running through the halls and opening her locker frantically with her cheeks tinged a blush-y pink colour.

School was hard to get through, Billy wasn't going to lie. What with running away from Vincent and trying to get through classes without falling asleep, by the end she was exhausted. She wasn't going to be relieved yet, oh no. Of course she had to go to work where she'd see Vince yet again. Only now she couldn't run away from him and would have to work near him. She was going to have to make it through somehow.

After school, Vincent went straight to work. He threw on his workshirt in the car, and afterward he simply put his name tag on. It was slightly crooked, but he didn't notice. Once he went in, he checked to see what kind of counter he would be working at again. He was going to work at 17, and Isabelle was going to work at 18. He sighed, only because he just wanted to converse with her. Just one word, please? That's all he really wanted.

He went over to his register, and waited for some of the customers to come over and order. He needed to keep his mind off of her. Anything but her.

Her dad picked her up and drove her to the store. He talked to her about his new night shift, but she replied with one worded responses. Once she was there, Billy walked into the store quickly and headed to the back, where they had a changing room for workers. Billy quickly changed into her work-shirt and khaki pants, then headed to register 18.

Vince was already there, working his register. Holding back a sigh, she took her position and waited for customers. It was somewhat agonizing, she kept having to avert her eyes when she would find herself looking at him. She never thought she'd feel this way but...

She wanted him to say something. She wanted Vincent to give her that little wink and that grin he had, the one that only seemed to show when he looked at her. At the very least she wanted him to greet her! Was that too much to ask?

A customer soon found themselves strolling into Vincent's isle. " Hello, I hope you found everything alright. " He said in a voice that was cheery and happy. Not because he was happy, only because he was forced to be that. He scanned the women's items and bagged them accordingly.

" That'll be $23.45. " He said, as he gave her the recipe. The stranger paid with a twenty dollar bill and a five, but Vince didn't have the correct amount of change in his register. He turned over to Isabelle.

" Hey, Bill- I mean, Isabelle, do you have two dollars and forty five cents? " He asked, as he bit down on his tongue. The first day is always the hardest. If you can make it through, soon you'll get over her.

Isabelle was attending her own customers, giving them the standard smile and greeting, then the standard farewell. She was looking around boredly, seeing as there was no one in her line anymore. She was looking down and shuffling her feet a little when she heard Vincent's voice.

"YES!" she said. Then, less enthusiastically, she cleared her throat and nodded. "I mean, yes, I do have that amount of money. That amount of two dollars and forty-five cents."

Opening her register, she picked out the bills and counted out the coins. Billy walked around her register and held out her hand for Vince to take the money.

Vincent was startled by the tone she used when she first said she did have the correct amount of change, but that didn't last long. He took the money from the women's hand and smiled at her. " Thank you. " He said, with a slight nod. He turned back to the women and gave her the change.

" Thank you, have a nice day. " He said, as he waved her off. Great. Now he was alone again. Vincent was tempted to turn around and say something to Isabelle, but he was sure that she wasn't going to appreciate it. Or acknowledged it. Or even agree with it! He simply sighed, and turned on the radio that the manager left in his small cubby.

She gave him a smile, but he turned away before he saw it. Only because it took a moment for her to process that she wanted to smile at him. For a few seconds, she stood there awkwardly before turning back to go to her register. Billy crossed her arms and pouted. That was it? That's all he needed her for now? Money!

"That's a good station," she said gently as he turned on the radio. Billy was still confused as to why she wanted his attention, but she did. She just wanted this whole day to be over already. Over and done. Then tomorrow could be normal.

A bit later, her father texted her, 'Had to leave early. Make sure the boys don't stay up late, try to get a ride again.' She groaned gently and bit her lip.

Vincent paused for a moment, and turned around to face Isabelle. " It's just... Static? " He said, as he turned around and shut off the radio completely. Was this one of her ways to make fun of his interests? Now that he thought about it, she always seemed to do that. How hard is it just to find an interest that we both share? He sighed, and turned back to his register.

After work was over, he made sure to clock out and collect his pay for that week. Pay day was his favorite time of week. Once he was done collecting his legal tender, he exited the building. He didn't hold the door open for Isabelle. He didn't even wait up for her. Vincent didn't even ask if she needed a ride!

The young man pulled out his keys and walked towards his favorite vehicle in the world. It took a little longer than usual to get it started, but after he did manage it, it purred like a kitten. He smiled to himself, and turned on the brights. He was just about to leave, before he noticed her once more. He sighed, and drived up to her.

" Need a lift? " He asked, as he put a cassette into the slot.

Billy reddened. Oh my god... What was that? She asked herself. She remained quiet for the rest of her time, seeing as she couldn't seem to say anything right. By the time they were done, she was trying to find the courage to go and talk to him. He didn't even look at her though, he didn't wait, he didn't hold the door open. He didn't call her Bill. He DIDN'T CALL HER BILL AT ALL.

She stepped out and watched him go to his car. Billy stood there quietly, watching him. Sorry dad, she thought, turning away to start walking home. As he drove up and asked if she wanted a drive though... Something snapped.

"You," she said, her voice coming out as little more than a whisper. "You haven't spoken to me all day! You make me confused and I want to smack you, you big, dumb, attractive, confusing jerk!" she half-shouted, on a roll now. "You didn't help me with my stupid books and I'm not sure why, but that hurt my feels! Why do you do this?"

With that, she turned and took off running. Her head was hurting and she was pretty sure she called him dumb and attractive. Hopefully, it'd made him as confused as she was. Billy wasn't sure what she was doing, but she really wanted to hide under her bed like when she was little.

Vincent was taken back. What was with her? Had she gone mad?! It hurt HER feelings? " Whoah, whoah, whoah now! " He said, as he exited the car and chased after her. Once he reached her, he reached to stop her with a simple grasp of the shoulder. He turned her around, and faced her with one of the most hurt and confused expressions he has ever pulled off.

" What do you mean it hurt your feelings? Do you think it hurt my feelings when you slammed my fingers in the lockers? Do you think it hurt my feelings when I constantly asked you how your day was going, but you only shoot back hurtful comments? Do you think it hurt my feelings when I ask you day after day if maybe you wanted to go somewhere beautiful with me, and you just laugh at my face? " He paused, and tried to keep the anger out of his voice.

" I know we may not like the same things- hell, we might even hate some of the things we love, but I love you, okay? I love you, but you hate me. I love you and that hurts. It hurts because no matter how hard I try to get onto your good side, it always fucking blows up on me and I always seem like a fucking loser to you. " He shook his head. Time to get to the point!

" And I'm done. Do you get it? I'm done trying to get your attention. I'm done trying to take you out to eat every change I get. I'm done with trying to write you love songs, and playing them for you, just so you can make fun of me to your friends. I'm done seeming like only a love-sick puppy to you. " Vincent's angry tone of voice seemed to turn into a sadder one. " I'm done trying to get you to feel the same way about me. " He turned around with another word, and walked back into his car.

He drove off without so much as another look.

She almost slapped him when he grabbed her. As he spoke though, she looked away. It was all true. All of it. Only she didn't apologize, she stood there and listened to him quietly, taking it all in. She didn't have the right to be hurt, she knew that, he'd made it quite clear. She still wanted to cry though, she wanted to run after him as he walked away.

She wanted to yell at him to come back.

Why had she done it to him? He'd been so very sweet to her, like no one else. At least her tried, meanwhile she'd gone out with guys who made it clear they only wanted one thing from her. Turning, she started walking, fighting back the tears that were already brimming at the edge of her eyes. "Why does life have to be so ironic?" she asked as she walked, though her voice only sounded like a small, choked up croak.

As she walked, she kicked a rock along. Her dad was going to be pissed. Her brothers were going to stay up late watching horror movies. They were going to have nightmares and not get any sleep. She wasn't going to get any sleep. Her dad was going to be even more pissed. And tomorrow seemed like the worst thing imaginable because she'd have to face what an absolutely terrible person she'd been to the one guy that cared about her who wasn't related.

Vincent didn't even care if he got into a car wreck anymore. His lovelife was a car wreck. Most days, he wished that he would be twenty-one so he could just down an entire bottle of liquor and go into an alcohol induced coma. He sighed, and pulled into the small apartment that he lived in. It seemed smaller to him.

He didn't bother making dinner for himself. He was hurting, and he was sure the pain might never go away. He simply sighed, and worked on the homework he had already finished. He needed something to distract him from her. He was doing so well too, but she just had to call him out on it! It was as if she liked making his life measurable. It was no one's fault but his own.

The man groaned, and pulled out his Cello. Maybe that could calm him down. It did, and the next thing he knew was that he was playing long into the night. He didn't exactly know what he was playing, but whatever it was, it was sad. When he finally went to sleep, his fingers burned and his arm was cramping.

Tomorrow was going to be a long day. And when it came, he barely even woke up for it. He wore the same thing as yesterday, and didn't come as early as before. But he was still tackled by the people who cared for him the most. That brightened his entire day.

Barry got home to find her brothers asleep together on the couch. Sure enough, some horror movie was on the TV. She didn't know what to do anymore. She'd failed as a sister, a daughter, and as a crush. Who does that? Who fails at being a crush? Crushes are supposed to make you feel good and be cute and cuddly. She didn't feel the energy to drag to boys to their beds, nor did she want to wake them up.

She'd just take her punishment and the yelling that was sure to come when dad got ahold of her. Which would be hard, because she'd made the decision to lay in bed and never move again.

It was going pretty well. She fell asleep, then in the morning batted her alarm clock aside and broke it against the wall. At least, the cracking sound was too loud for it to not be broken.

"School, Billy. School!" her brother Gary shouted.

"Go by yourself."

"Dad's mad."

"I don't care. Go by yourself. Tell him I'm sick," she replied. At least, for today, she could play that off. Tomorrow they could drag her out of bed, but today if anyone touched her she would go balistic and break more things.

Vincent got through the motions of the day pretty well. His mind kept traveling to her- Isabelle. Was she sick? She didn't seem sick at work yesterday. She seemed weird, but not ill. He would have to cover for her at work, to make sure that she wouldn't get fired.

School wen't by faster than usual. The only thing that made his day less enjoyable was when one of his old teachers stopped him in the hallway. " Are you friends with Isabelle? Well, I need you to drop off her homework. She has to study for the chapter test, and I would hate to see her fail! " Of course, Vince said yes.

After school, he went straight to work. A little after he arrived, he went into the managers office and asked him if he could call Isabelle. After he explained to him why, he let him call her.

It rang after a few moments, and Vincent spoke into his own phone. " Isabelle, the teachers gave me your homework. I'll drop it off in your mailbox. I can guess that I'm the last person you'd want to see. " He hung up before she could reply, and he went back to work.