A Fragile Pair

-happy holidays to you as well<3
:bananaman:

Adrian looked over ta her and gave a fools grin, "Milady, it is our honor to serve you," he said in jest before becoming slightly more serious. "You needn't leave if you don't wish to. AS you see it's only us three, and occassionally my other family, but only when they have breaks and I must say they almost never take them. We have plenty of room for you to stay for a while. It's not much but it's something that I could do for you. Or," he paused as he took what he chopped and threw it into the awaiting stew. "There is also option b, where you leave and I follow. You wouldn't have a real bodyguard until I turn twenty but then, if you are in need then I could fill the request forms out to be placed as your bodyguard. You are more interesting, I must say, then gettings tuck with some flouncy, oh so important nobleman that doesn't know his -- Well, I think you could get the picture." Adrian admitted with a blush. He hopped that she picked to choosehim. She seemed like she'd need one what with the roads the way it is. And as his dad had pointed out--nothing beats on the job training.

Iolani felt a shiver run down her spine, causing her shoulders and hips to wiggle softly underneath the dress. She gave Adrian a meaningful smile, seeing how sweeter he was for saying that. "I...don't deserve you as a bodyguard, though, only bad luck follows me, Adrian," slipped off her lips lightly, as she chewed the inside of her cheek.

"I would love to have you as a bodyguard...but I don't even think I'm eligible for one, am I? I'm just...an orphaned girl who can't control her unknown powers," she commented about her life in just a few words.

"Adrian, I don't want you in danger."

Adrian smiled over her as he laughed at her reaction. "Bad luck follows all of us, it is how we deal with it that determines what kind of people we are inside," he told her before walking over to stand next to her, running a gentle finger down her cheek before lifting her fact a tiny bit. "And that, Lani, is why you deserve a bodyguard. There are few people nowadays that truly deserve a bodyguard and they get the most consideration when asking for a bodyguard. An orphaned girl wouldn't get much say in who she was put with--probably a bodyguard family to learn the ropes and become a bodyguard herself. But a young woman with powers that she can't fully control? Those are the highest ont he bodyguard community list to get first pick at the best and finest bodyguards until she or he can find a teacher and learn to control."

Then she said something about danger and Adrian couldn't help but laugh outright at it. "Danger? I'll be in danger every day of my life be it where I would prefer to be or where I am placed, and if you ask me, I would much rather protect you than some stuffy noble that only needs me to protect him from the husbands of the women he forces to sleep with him. You are far more pretty, and far more interesting."

Iolani bit her bottom lip, looking down as heat rushed to her cheeks. She breathed a shallow chuckle, and finally looked up at him, once he called her pretty--once again--and more interesting than most people.

"I am not more pretty, nor more interesting than half of the people within miles of this village. I don't even know my own past, how is that interesting?" she rolled her eyes playfully.

"Adrian, how can I have you as a bodyguard...when I have impure thoughts of you?" she whispered, her left eyebrow quirking up slowly, making sure he was the only one who heard the words. She then issued to the food behind him, "Don't want to burn the food now, do you?" she teased him with a soft giggle.

Reactions: 1 person
"Not knowing your own past is what--" Adrian started to say before she spoke of impure thoughts and he was reminded once more about his own thoughts he had had of her before. He blinked over her. He moved and stirred the stew as he thought about what he wanted to say to that.

"The question isn't how can I be a bodyguard for you when you have impure thoughts, but how can I be your body guard when I have impure thoughts about you?" he asked, his cheeks a light pink as he thought about it. He looked over and tilted his head with a sheepish smile.

Iolani giggled, and walked over to him. She stood right behind him, looking over his shoulder as she stood on her tip-toes. "Adrian, looks like you're cooking up more than just stew," she teased, her words having a double meaning.

"You don't have to act shy around me, Adrian. I feel so...forward with you," Iolani murmured to him lightly, taking a place by his side as she watched him stir the stew.

"Then maybe I should be the one that remains polite?" Adrian asked softly, with a smile. Nodding, he pulled the spoon out of the stew and held it up with a little bit of the liquid on it. "Here, try this, Miss Lani." He held his hand under it so that anything that dripped off would land there.

Adrian tilted his head and shrugged a little. "Really though, if you leave, I would love to come with you as a bodyguard. I would hate to leave you alone and make you live by yourself."

"I insist you don't," Iolani told him, with a glint in her eyes as she placed the spoon in her mouth, trying the stew. Once she swallowed, her eyes went wide.

"That's amazing," she murmured with a soft smile on her lips.

"I'll think about it, whether or not I should bring you with me," Iolani told him with a light shrug.

If he didn't know, she already made a decision, of bringing him wherever her destination was. She wanted him by her side, always.

Adrian smiled and nodded, "My mother said that I have a good talent for cooking and normally lets me take over after a while," the young man said with a grin as she complimented his food. He stirred it a few more times before rising and going to work on something else, though he kept glancing over at the girl. He didn't understand it. She was so beautiful and yet did not have any trouble flirting with him--a simple country boy with a bodyguard position.

"Well, I hope that you choose to let me accompany you then." He said as he put some pieces of bread onto a plate which he carried over to the table that was awaiting the food and place settings.

Iolani noticed how he constantly kept looking over at her, it made her feel giddy deep within. It was the most cutest thing. Iolani wasn't used to such attention from a such a gorgeous man. She loved it. She could honestly get used to it. "That's great, you should teach me sometime," she told him with a question in her voice, as if letting him agree or disagree with her thought.

"Wait, let me help," she insisted as she grabbed a couple of plates and utensils to place on the dining room table, as she felt at ease knowing she was doing the least she could do. She'd do more, but Adrian insisted she just...sat and looked pretty.

Adrian smiled over at her before ducking his head as he set out the plates he had before going back to dish the stew out into equal portions into four different bowls. Then he carried them all over to the table at once, being careful to balance them just so that they wouldn't spill over the floor or onto himself. He was grinning at her as he did this, knowing that most people that saw that started to say it was unnatural how he could balance them on his forearms without assistance. to him it was a matter of skill-focus and move the arms imperceptibly when he felt something shift.

"I'd love to teach you Miss Iolani. Whenever you want I'll teach you what I know," he told her with a bright smile as he placed the bowls down onto the table. Not a drop had been spilled on his trip tot he table. Then he raised his voice and called out, "Ma, Pa, foods done." He then motioned for her to take a seat across the table from where he stood. "Please, have a seat."

Iolani blushed, seeing as he was fully devoted to her already and he wasn't even asked to be her bodyguard yet. She nodded lightly, and sat down in the chair he insisted her to sit in. She raked her wild curls back, humming quietly as she crossed her legs lightly as she waited for Adrian's parents to come over so they could all eat. Iolani never really thought about it, but she was actually starving. She hadn't eaten since this morning. It was night out, how many hours was that? God, she didn't know. All the days simply meshed together.

His parents entered and sat in their seats as Adrian went to get mugs of water for them all. his mother sat on Iolani's side while his father sat across from his wife--leaving the seat across form Iolani open for the young man to sit at. He brought the mugs over and sat one in front of each of the others before sitting down in front of his own and relaxing a little. The three Trival's began to eat and yet at the same time, one could call Adrian's eating scarfing. Soon his bowl was empty and he was rising to get another. Like Iolani he was on routine that would allow him only to eat once in the morning and once at night and he was starving.

"Would anyone like seconds?" he called from the kettle as he dished himself some more.

Iolani shook her head in denial. "No, I'm so stuffed from just this one bowl, it was amazing honestly," she said out loud with a soft, yet shy smile. "I'd just like to thank you three for letting me stay the night here," she told them quietly as she looked down at her hands, then back at them to try and show confidence in herself.

"We are glad to have you," Mrs. Trival told her as she ate much slower than her husband or son that came back to the table with a larger serving this time. He was in the process of eating that bowl as if it were his last before he jumped, eyes widening in pain. He swallowed the food that was in his mouth slower and looked over at his parents before back down at his bowl. This time when he raised his spoon to his mouth, he didn't shove it in and then do the next spoon. He took the food, put it in his mouth and then ate slower. Obviously someone had kicked him under the table as a reminder that they had a guest.

"So, Miss Iolani, where are you heading?" Mr. Trival asked as he tore a piece of bread into half.

Iolani stifled a giggle, once she noticed that someone did kick Adrian underneath the table. It wasn't her, so it must have been his mother. Iolani then looked over at Adrian's mother as she thought for a moment. "Please, call me Lani," she insisted to her with a soft nod.

"I actually have no destination in mind. I just...keep going and going until I feel at home. Once my heart feels right, I'll stay wherever I am. Whether it be in a village, or just...in a small city-like place, or by myself," she shrugged with a half-smile as she thought of it.

"And you have no one to accompany you on that journey?" Mr. Trival inquired as he took a bite of his bread. there was a thud under the table but neither Mr. Trival nor Adrian looked as if they felt a thing--Adrian because he hadn't been the victim of the shin-murdering foot; Mr. Trival because he was used to it.

"You needn't tell us," Mrs. Trival said with a large smile as she got up and started to clear away her plates and mug as well as Iolani's. "You are more than welcome to stay here as long as you--"

A banging on the front door cut her off. Adrian froze in his food scarfing and looked over his shoulder at the same moment that his father looked over his own.

"Open up!" came a muffled voice, "We have information that you are harboring a witch!"

Mrs. Trival and Mr. Trival shared a look before things burst into a action. Mrs. Trival bustled over to a cabinet and pulled out two bags that seemed packed full off food and spare clothes. Mr. Trival threw the extra pair of dishes into the same cupboard and took Adrian's bowl and plate in there as well. Then the two adults ushered the two children out the back door and gave them the packs.

"Adrian. It's your job to protect her now, you do a good job boy," Mr. Trival said before going inside as if to answer the door, leave Mrs. Trival fluttering around anxiously.

"Be good both of you. There should be enough money for you two to get to the next town if not father if you are wise," Adrian's mother said before going inside and closing the door.

Adrian stood there for a moment, staring at the door. How had the town's folk known? Turning, he shook his head, "Lani, please, we should get you out of here. The town's not all that kind towards people with... abilities." he muttered, putting a hand on her shoulder before smiling sadly. "Sorry to do this to you, but it looks like you are saddled with me. Ma and pa would never forgive me if I just let you leave on your own."

Iolani was quickly scared, bringing hardship and trouble to the family. It was horrible, she always brought bad luck to those she actually were fond of, or started to care for. She could feel all the emotions build up inside her. The guilt, the shame, fear, dizziness, and so much more. She couldn't take it, she could feel the strew quickly coming up.

She clutched her stomach in uneasiness, and went to a nearby bush, upchucking everything that she had just eaten. She wiped her mouth off with ease, her hands shaking. She looked over at Adrian, then she heard a quick, but dull bang. She gasped, and grabbed one of the bags that Adrian held in his fist. She placed it on her shoulder, and grabbed his hand, running straight to the dark of the forest. She didn't speak, only ran until they were at least half of a mile thick into the forest. Her lungs burned with icy air as she breathed heavily, clutching her rib because of the cramp she caught.

"I told you, I told you," she breathed heavily, her chest heaving.

"I told you, Adrian," she cried quietly as she held her head in her hands in sorrow, her shoulder shaking softly as she sobbed, without tears. She was overreacting, maybe, but she knew something like this would happen.

Adrian ran after her, his hand grasping hers. He'd heard the bang of the door being slammed open. He didn't worry though. His mother and father would have made sure that there was no sign of Iolani or Adrian there. That was part of a body guard's training. He followed her as she ran, knowing the importance to remain as quiet and as vigilant as he could be. When she finally came to a stop and started babbling about telling him so, he watched her for several moments before stepping over to her and pulling her into a comforting embrace.

"Lovely, lovely girl, you aren't the reason behind all this. People being idiots and fearing things they don't understand is the cause of this. Please, my father, I , and my mother knew what we were doing when we brought you into our house. While you were in changing a message came speaking that there was going to be a posse coming to try and collect you. My father and I agreed that it would be best to keep you in the dark in case you tried to disappear before hand. Our friend was making sure that no one came around the back to see us escape. And when the posse searches the house and doesn't find hide nor hair of us, they'll leave my parents alone," Adrian explained, trying to be as comforting as possible.