A Forum Software Switch In a Few Weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
--> Edit your links. A) because it just makes sense do to that. And B) I won't have the url redirection installed until after I am done with the old forum. That might take a week or two.

--> Watched Threads. There is a little blue orb that shows up on the left side of the thread title. That takes you to the first unread post.

--> All FUTURE profile conversations will view with comments underneath the original comment. All OLD profile convo posts could not transfer that way and you will not be able to go back and follow those old convos.

--> Seeing if someone is online via their profile is not on by default and will be added later as we work on things.

*sigh* all right then, thank you very much for the information.

Is there anyway to turn of the email alert for conversations? I got it off for threads but I've searched and I can't seem to find an option such as that.

OFFICIAL NOTICE TO ALL MEMBERS!

In a few weeks will be switching over to new forum software, leaving behind our current system and importing to Xenforo. This is something that is unavoidable! After all the issues we've had with updates and the STILL never-been-fixed mobile issue, with ridiculously rising upgrade costs... well. They can suck it. >>; I am personally tired of dropping money on unfinished products and crappy customer treatment. We've already purchased a new software license with Xenforo and are currently developing, learning, and testing of the new system so we can make this import go as smoothly as possible!

WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT WHEN WE ROLL OUT THE IMPORT:

- Xenforo is already used by a couple of popular and familiar sites! Including Roleplay Directory and RPDom!

- This will be done in a FEW WEEKS. This gives staffies a time to learn how to use the controls, admins to develop the style and the features, and you guys a chance to help demo the new forum if you wanna give us a hand or just see how things work. In fact, you can ask any staff member and they will pass you the link to the demo test forum we're working on. The url is also posted up in the cbox.

- It WILL be an entire brand new system. Everything we know about where the profile stuff is, the controls, threads, ect will all be a little different. We are trying to make sure everything is as simple and straight forward as possible, but it WILL be different. Blogs, Groups, and Articles will likely be in different spots. There is nothing we can do about this, but it will be a fun adventure!

- You will NOT lose any posts, blogs, groups, accounts, or anything else. It will all be imported. You won't need to re-register or anything crazy like that. If there -does- turn out to be any content we can't import, we will tell everyone in advance so they can back it up.

- When we ARE finally able to import, the site will be shut down for a day or two while we run the importer and then make sure nothing is fucked up. During that time, we'll have a chatbox for you to hang out in until it's all done.

- If you hate xenforo and change, well you're just gonna have to suck it up. D:

If you have any questions or concerns, ask them! We'll answer everything that we can!

SOME NOTES ABOUT THE FORUM IMPORT: THINGS THAT WON'T IMPORT!

-- If you have "pages" (not blog posts) in your blogs, SAVE THEM. They will not import.

-- If you have USER NOTES (not visitor messages) on your profile that you need, SAVE THEM. They will not import.

Everything else seems to be fine. :D

Mighty spiffy!

Glad to see another amazing RP site on xF. If you guys ever need anything or want to affiliate just let us know :)!

Oh and heres a few things off the top of my head I recommend:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/valvetime-net-quote-collapse.657/
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/tabs-bbcode.1116/

-RPdom Webmaster

Reactions: Buttercorn
Wuuu! This board feels so slick.

Not sure if this is the place to say, but one thing I really miss from the old boards is under each thread in the topic list, it used to tell you how long ago the thread was created (like 1 day or 1 week or 3 months, etc), but now it gives a date. I mean, it's practically the same thing except subtraction is hard. D:

Though really, thanks for the hard work! I'm really looking forward to this concept of conversations!

Shav, funny enough I LOVE that. I hated that it didn't give a date.

Noooo! Dates are absolute and silly. All that matters is relativity relative time! In all honesty, it's not that big of an issue. I'm sure I'll soon figure out how long ago December is...

Wondering is the forum done? Or is the staff going to continue tweaking it as we go?

Personally I miss the special colours for the different genres in roleplay forums. >.> It helps me to mentally sift through stuff quickly. Without having to read each page title completely >.> Or it draws my attention to ones certain ones.

Heh ... funny because that's something I'm really glad got changed to something more uniform. For me, it's a lot easier to scan down the page. I think it's mostly because the font is the same as the rest of the forum, though, and I could totally see what is there now but in different colors being helpful.

Ya I like the font being the same as the rest of the forum also, just the colours....Eh

Wondering is the forum done? Or is the staff going to continue tweaking it as we go?

There will always be tweaking, especially after a huge move like this. If we waited until everything was done then we'd be closed for a week, and having all you scamps running around means we find problems that need to be fixed faster.

We'll never stop tweaking.

sort of miss seeing the info under the avatars and stuff.

This is not a complaint thread. There are two threads in community section if you need something, a bug thread & a thread for things people would like to see added. Also remember the admins ARE NOT DONE YET. Moving from one forum software system to another is not as simple as changing cellphones.

I love love love the new site, specifically because of how smoothly it works on my smartphone. Only negative I Have is that I can't access chat, but I can deal with it. Y'all are awesome.

Reactions: Fiaryn
Status
Not open for further replies.