A Child Brought Up In War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alexander sighed, but he nodded in agreement. "Since it was your idea how about you ask first. Besides, it's not like there is anything really interesting about me anyway." Alexander leaned back in his chair and stared at her. He didn't know whether or not he would answer the questions honestly, but if it came down to his might as well. Besides, he was lying to her anyway about who he was. Being the handsome devil he was he needed to keep a low profile, and a low profile always began at the first documents. He was prepared for any question to asked b Kieara.

She smiled at his agreeance and thought for a moment. "Alright. Um...where are you originally from? If you don't know then where do you remember growing up?" She asked him curiously and she kept nibbling on her food until it was gone. She was curious to learn more about him. She did him the solid of being honest. She expected the same in return.

"I was raised in a small farm house a couple miles away from the borders of Gehen. My family were farmers and they were farmers for centuries. I was supposed to be a farmer, but I didn't want to put up with that so I left. My birth name is Hellion Bennet Ollen, and growing up for me was boring." He forked some food into his mouth and swallowed it quickly so he could get to his question. "Where were you born and what did your parents do?"

She listened to his story with interest. She then smiled and answered back. "My name is Kieara Elaine Stephens and I was born and raised in the town of Bethlamue. My father was a baker. My mother was a seamstress and passed when I was young. My sister helped my father in the bakery. They all died in a raid when I left."

Alexander nodded and followed up with another question. "So since you were begging on the streets, what were you intending to do with your child? I'm sure Lord Biltmore would have kicked you out if you had stayed her longer." He again forked up some more food into his mouth then took a drink from a mead he had ordered from the bar before he sat down.

She frowned at the question. "I couldn't find work no looked everywhere. If I couldn't find work by the time I had the child....I was going to find an orphanage." She spoke to him as she too ate some more of her meal. "So what made you decide to be a thief of all things?"

Alexander laughed and began to speak but he stopped to gather his thoughts. "I became a thief because it was easy. It may be hard work, but it is a good way to get money. I didn't want to be a farmer, I didn't want to be poor. The money that I have now was triple what life savings my idiotic parents had saved up. BY now they are probably dead in the ground and their cycle of farmers continued." He stabbed his fork into his food in front of him then closed his eyes for a moment. Alexander preferred to not get into the subject of parents. "There, let me ask you question. Are you willing to do what I am asking of you?"

"Varies depending on what you'll be asking of me." She answered honestly. She sighed and looked at him. "Don't you ever wonder what it's like for the other person? To have their things taken? Especially if you overhaul them and take everything?"

"Yes." He stated this with a harsh tone, he sounded really serious. Then he looked up at her and nodded. "Good, then you seem to be the right person for the job." He finished his meal and left the keys to her room on the table. Quickly he walked up to his room then closed and locked the door. Their day would be long tomorrow. He packed all of his blades in his suit and set it to the side of his bed. Tonight he had to look over the town. As he said before he wouldn't be entering through the front door. Alexander jumped out onto the ledge and went to survey the city.

She frowned. She was still uncomfortable with all this. She didn't like how careless he was. She didn't like how he had no regard for anyone else. She didn't like that she was probably being used. She didn't like any of it. But she had to for her child. She sighed and laid down soon asleep.

"Our troops have been sent to Stonegate to help protect the capital, my lord. They will not be back for some time, but the guard here will surely keep everything in check. Lord Biltmore looked at the captain of the guard and shook his head. "Our forces are where they need to be, and for now we will be fine. The king will know of our plans soon. We will need to reclaim some of the land take and ravaged by Gehennian troops. Go and tell the guards that they will need to keep watch at all points of the day. We do not know if Gehen will strike here or not." The Lord and Head Guardsman shook hands and they walked away from each other. It was outside the walls of Biltmore manor. Alexander had been keeping watch over them for about an hour. From what he collected there were five or so entrances that he could open or break through. This would be easy, and it made Alexander delighted. His superiors would be proud of him and maybe he would finally be able to do more than just petty thieves work. He loved thieving in general, but he hated doing the small jobs. Alexander made his way back to the Inn and climbed through Kieara's window. This was one of the precautions of being a thief, make it look like you were somewhere else. She was asleep, she was peaceful, and he knew this was better than her street life. He looked down at her then walked over toward her. That moment he couldn't control himself, he pulled the blanket over her and set a pillow by her. It was nice, something that showed normality even in the situation he was in. It was too bad her life would take a sudden change in the next days. "Good night." Alexander whispered before leaving the room and going back into his.

Kieara didn't wake up when he covered her but did curl into the blanket with a contented sigh. She was dreaming about the days events. Soon morning came and she woke with sun shining in her face. She sat up rubbing her eyes and yawning. She then rose to get ready for the day wondering about her new friend Bennett.

Alexander knocked on her door in some rather fancy clothes and some clothes for her. The clothes for her were big enough to make her seem like she was not pregnant. He waited for her to open the door and when she did he set them on her dresser. "Get dressed, we have to go to the Biltmore manor in a couple hours to meet with the man himself. You will need to act proper and show that you know how to take orders. They always need maids at the manor so make sure you do everything that I say." Alexander then straightened out his suit.

She was surprised at what he was wearing. He was rather handsome. She liked what he was wearing. She let him in and smiled a little bit. She stepped behind the changing screen beginning to change. "Alright. You look nice." She complimented. She dressed and stepped out from behind the screen wondering why her attire was so big.

Alexander's eyes wandered as he tilted to try to get a look at her, but he stopped himself because he was a half-way decent person. He smiled at the compliment she gave him. It felt genuine, and made him feel really good. Alexander was about to complement her back but he stopped. He tried to form words, but it just came out as slosh. "You... your... that's..." He closed his eyes for a moment and gathered his thoughts. "You look beautiful, even though it may be a bit big on you. We should get a move on we are in a hurry." Alexander rushed out the door and waited for her at the stairs.

She blushed a bit at his reaction but was sure he was just saying that. She followed him wobbling a bit and met up with him at the stairs. She spoke. "So what do I need to do besides act like a maid?" She asked him quietly.

"Good question, let's talk about it while we walk." The town was starting to open up and everyone was getting ready for the day. They were really well dressed for this early, but it was what was needed. "All you need to do is distract the manor so I can get to the vault. This is more or less a test, because I feel like our partnership will be long and arduous. If you want to tell me anything before we get into this you should tell me now. If you have any questions for me, then ask." He kept a slow pace so that she should keep up with him.

"Is there a reason you can't tell I'm pregnant in these clothes? How long do I have to distract them? How do you expect me to? When will I know you're done? And what if we get caught? Also what is my backstory?" She Asked him looking at him expectantly.

Alexander stopped for a moment then looked at her. "So many questions so little time, let me give you the short answers. Your pregnancy makes you less likely to get the job, because you have a baby on the way. Secondly, our process will take about a week, maybe only a couple days based on what is in the vault. I'll keep in touch with you, so I know you will be done. Your backstory is this, you are here for a job. Your family used to live where you said before they were killed. I found you and now we are here. Simple enough?"

She listened to him and nodded. It sounded simple enough. Though she wasn't sure how she felt about doing this. "Well what if we get caught? What's the plan then?" She asked him looking up at him after a moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.