A Child Brought Up In War

Status
Not open for further replies.
"No, I want you to protect yourself." He stood up and cracked his back. "You need to protect yourself and your child. I won't even ask why your husband isn't around." He paced around the fire thinking about what they should do. "Tomorrow we will go to Biltmore manor and ask for a job. Then you will get paid, and then I will get paid. It looks like out luck is turning around."

She listened to him and nodded softly. She frowned and looked down. "I...don't have a husband."

"Oh, well that's a tad odd. I assume he ran out on you or something? Did he find another woman? Was there another... man?" Alexander quit trying to dive into what possibilities there were concerning her husband. It wouldn't have mattered unless the man was royalty, if he had royal blood then it would be a different story. His parents were interesting people, he wondered why they never split up. Both of them argued enough to wake up the whole city, yet they loved each other just the same. Maybe she doesn't know who the husband was, and if so that would be interesting.

She frowned and spoke. "I was in a raid. They killed my family and an enemy soldier....he...well.....he...." She couldn't say it. It was too painful.

"Oh." Alexander immediately regretted every word he had said to her. He had brought her into something that he didn't know the repercussions. She was carrying a child and he just dismissed it. How stupid was he, all the years of training, everything his master taught him. This woman was just simple, and he just wanted answers. "I'm sorry, it's just I needed...." He choked on his words, he was unsure what to say. He may be been a thief, but it didn't mean he took out his heart.

She smiled sadly. "It's alright you didn't know. And at this rate I'm willing to do anything just to get a meal."

"I suppose you are right." He put his hand behind his neck because he felt awkward. His humanness showed a little too much, so he straightened up and put his hand on her shoulder. "This is strictly business, so I won't try to harass you while in the process of stealing from this town. On the way out I ordered you a room for your own. Sleeping with me may be a luxury, but with a child it's different." He cracked a smile at the slight joke he made, then it turned serious again getting back to the subject. "We have some hours left until it becomes night, so how about you go around town and buy some things for yourself." Alexander went over to his horse and pulled out a rather large leather bag. It looked like it held a sizable amount of gold. After he took out the large sack he pulled a smaller pouch from the satchel that held all of his goods. He filled the small pouch with gold and handed it to Kieara. "You may do what you want with the rest of the day." Alexander sat back down and watched the fire as the wood burned.

She gently took the bag. She paused before speaking. "Why are you being so kind to me?" She asked softly. She didn't understand it.

"I'm not being kind, I'm getting my way." He took a stick from the group and started to mess with the coals. His thoughts began to unravel in his heads. The days would begin to be longer and he would have to plan out everything. "You'll see me later tonight, but I won't be entering through your door." He turned his gaze to her for a moment then turned back to the fire. What she was going to endure was going to change her. He didn't know whether it is going to be for the better or the worst.

She frowned a bit but nodded. She folded her hands in her lap over the knife he'd given her and rested for now by the warm coals. It was a shame to be able to get interaction from someone they had to be using her. It showed in her eyes how hurtful it could be.

"You are allowed to leave, it's your time to go on your own." Alexander stated this bitterly, it is obvious that he wanted some alone time. He laid back on the grass and began to look at the clouds. You could tell that he was waiting for something. Was it important? Most likely, based on who he was. He put his hands on his chest and closed his eyes. "When you are out how about you fetch us some dinner, something nice from the bakery." Alexander breathed quietly listening to his heart beat against the dirt.

At his bitter request for her to leave she just nodded and wearily stood to make her way back to the inn after getting what he requested. She was happy for some companionship but also sad that she was being used.

Alexander looked at her and nodded. "Look I know being on your own is difficult for your situation. This will not be the last time we will be separate, so get used to it." Alexander looked off into the distance and then stood up. "You should leave, I'd prefer if you weren't here when my contact came." He walked over to his horse and tightened up the bag. His tone seemed disinterested in her, he was obviously concentrated on something else.

She didn't even grace him with a response. She just did as told and bought them dinner then went to the inn. She was waiting on his arrival. She sighed and talked to herself. "Kieara what are you doing?.....this man is using you. You're nothing to him but a means to thieve someone. How can you live with yourself knowing you're robbing people blind?" She sighed and shook her head. "I can't let my child learn to be like that when it's born..."

Alexander met with his contact. It was as shy young kid who didn't know what he was getting into. They exchanged words and then they had a small dinner. This was a custom when it came to his masters. Sadly, the poison that he put into the boy's food wouldn't be a nice surprise. He paid the boy with a smack full of heavy copper, which seemed like gold but was rather useless. The boy took off into the distance while Alexander let the fire burn out. As Shadowmere the Lustful he had many duties to fulfill, including his obligations to the guild. Alexander waltzed back into the town and into the Greenfoot Inn. He sat down at the table Kieara was at and smiled at her. "I'm grateful to do business with you." He wasn't trying to sooth things over, he was actually being honest. Someone who hadn't a back story of thievery would be fun, for him at least.

She hadn't meant it to sound bitter and it didn't. It sounded more sad than anything. "I'm sure that you are." She'd waited on him to eat. As he sat with her she began to eat on her portion of the meal she'd bought for them. It was clear to see she was concerned and worried about what she was getting in to but that she had little choice.

Alexander began to ate. He gave her a confused look once she responded to him. "Our partnership is going to last a very long time, so we should get to know each other. As I said my name is Bennet. I am entering into the business and I need to strike big. That means you have to work your womanly wiles to get into the Biltmorian Vault. And maybe if you do well enough we can run off together and start a new life with all the gold we are going to make." Alexander laughed loudly and then he quieted himself and continued on. "So, tell me about yourself."

(My posts may be a bit slow because I'm traveling. So don't be mad at me. :(

(It's ok)

Kieara looked up. "Well as long as we're being honest with each other, I'm not sure how I feel about being a thief. I don't want to weasel people out of their hard earned money for my own gain. That makes me no better than those savages who looted my town and took what they wanted. I don't want my child to grow up to become a thief." She explained how she felt. Then listened to him. "Well what do you want to know?"

"Being a thief isn't taking from someone else. It's taking the material goods to show how much more a person needs emotional prizes more than physical ones. I want you to tell me all about you, what you are, what you believe in. Every single detail down to what you want to name your child. I will tell you the same in exchange and our business will continue. If you do not like this, then just give me something to work with at least. In time though, I will learn who you are and what your past holds." He let that sentence sink into Kieara's being as he waited for a response.

Kieara got bored talking about herself so she decided to make a game out of it. "How about this. We make a game of it. You ask a question and I have to answer honestly then I ask one and you have to answer the same. Sound good?" That way it didn't seem so much to her like a one sided interview. She had a few questions for him too.

Status
Not open for further replies.