FateGuard

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool, that's the last piece I needed to finish the tentative backstory. So here's the bio sans the backstory. Feel free to ask questions.

CHARACTER SHEET

Name: Ryste Valerian

Appearance:
27656-1boy-artist-request-black-hair-earrings-eyepatch2c9ca43fe47d1e8d17655a8c58739319_zpsb9ebeeed.jpg

Reputation: Though many of the regulars within the FateGuard may be unaware, Ryste, as was his father, is the heaviest supplier to Harrel for the assorted bows and arrows which the FateGuard use. They are more likely however to know him as the teal-haired man who always has such a condescending tone and a matching smile but knows more about bows and arrows than they could hope to know and is more than happy to assist with customizing a bow to a person's strengths. Older members who were around when he was training before would probably recognize him too as someone who had to leave due to his family needing him.

Royal Blessing: Ashblood Bow – One of seven made by Ryste's grandfather, Syrian, at the behest of the then-king for use by the original FateGuard. A longbow made of red ash – a local tree with a red hue and also excellent for making bows with – it is named Ashblood as it is varnished in the blood of demons and other evil creatures, giving it a dark red appearance. Its string is a similar gory trophy being the sinew of a particularly tough demon vanquished early on. Flexible scales are also adhered to the front of the bow, allowing it to be used to parry and block. It also comes with a matching quiver of 73 arrows of similar make. It was passed down to Ryste as part of his father's will when he passed away.

While not a magic item, one cannot help but believe it is. Though it is pushing a century of age, it looks remarkably pristine as do the arrows that come with it. The arrows themselves have a history of rarely completely missing the target, of always being recoverable, and also of being incredibly resistant to damage, only two of the original 75 having been rendered useless through its use. Its frame has also weathered time and battle well – though numerous scores adorn the scales, not even the barest nick is found on the wood. These qualities have been attributed to the original skill with which such a weapon was created, the skill of its wielder, and sheer luck.

Holy Blessing: Critical Zone – An ability that starts off ineffective but grows exponentially. The first arrow does nothing. The second creates an imaginary line between the two arrows and another shot on that line will deal increased damage. The third will create an imaginary triangle within which the increased damage is dealt. A fourth arrow will make for the addition of more triangles and shots that hit areas where triangles overlap deal even more damage. And so on and so forth. However, this only works on those known to be evil, not suspected; as soon as the knowledge is out Critical Zone becomes retroactive in regard to where the triangles are and where they overlap.

Magic Blessing: Hawkeye – Ryste's heterochromatic eye is enchanted to give him 180 degree visuals for whatever direction he is facing, regardless of what might be obstructing its sight. He can also use it to zoom in on something far away, roughly 200 yards, again unobstructed by a covering or such. Using both at the same time is severely draining on his stamina though and he can only hold the combined effects for a grand total of five minutes per day.

Legend: It is well known and quite obvious that Ryste's hair is teal and all of the adults are quite aware of how it happened – his playful younger sister knocked a bucket of a teal plant-based dye on his head by accident which turned his once bleach blonde hair to the teal it is now. Even though that was some eight years in the past, the dye hasn't shown the slightest inclination of leaving. By this point though, it would be odd that he didn't have his signature hair anymore.

Also known to the adults is that he has heterochromatic eyes, one green and the other gold though most have forgotten through his careful use of longer hair when he was younger and the eye patch he covers it with as an adult. However most of the adults have long forgotten this fact.

Off-Duty: Since his father passed due to illness, Ryste has taken over the operations of the bowyer and fletcher shop his family has had since his grandfather settled with the original Pilgrims, having to sacrifice a future in the FateGuard to do so. At the time his sister was too young to be of any help financially so he was forced to work full time. Now that she is older though, she works with their mother to both create and dye clothing which brings in extra money and allows him to rejoin the FateGuard to protect them both, especially in light of recent events.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's your blood post.

Lots of crazy stuff so read the OOC note at the end. If I forgot anyone...poke me.

Cool concept. I only see three things that confuse me.

Your Critical Zone thing hurts my head. How about instead of all that triangle stuff we just say that any arrows shot have lines of holy magic between them? That's powerful enough, as it allows you to create barriers against creatures. Plus it fulfills the subtlety criteria.

The magic eye things seems more sci-fi than fantasy, but that's probably just wording. And humans have practically 180 degree vision to start with... so I'm not sure why you're emphasizing that. If I've misread that's fine, but I'd still need to limit the blessing to ONE benefit only.

And having a grandfather who arrived with the Pilgrim settlers is a bit of a stretch. I'm 30 and my grandfather was born in 1914 and died 10 years ago... so... for him to be a working business owner he'd have to be at least a teenager... meaning my father would have to have been conceived between 1927 and 1964 (factoring sperm count range)... meaning I would be conceived between 1940 and 2004... and since your character looks to be in his early 20s, he would therefore need to have a 20 year old father born to a 70 year old grandfather, or a 30 year old father born to a 60 year old grandfather, or a 40 year old father born to a 50 year old grandfather, and so forth... and since Medieval life expectancy was usually 50 it makes all those combinations unlikely...

*collapses into a math coma*

X_@

Ok, those poisoned...a quick note. If anyone remembers what Malwin's daggers can do, they turn blood taken from a victim into a perfect poison against them. This SHOULD be killing you, but for some reason, it isn't (I'll explain that later) But for those who have known Malwin awhile, they know what a blow from a poison made from their own blood would do, they've seen it work on many monsters before...just for some perspective.

Malwin is designed to be tough right now, he's hopped up on bad mojo, so it'll take a bit to work on him. I'll let ya'll lay into him before I make my next post.

Also, Chaos, Tahan's armor, like Malwin, is working at crazy peak efficiency now. Taking it alone may not be the best idea forever.

But for the sake of things, I'll let Tahan control evil Tahan armor...makes more sense that way.

Oh yeah, I realize that. I figured it would start even then progressively become a defensive fight for Derek. Just let me do this. I saved that music piece specifically for, if fate would allow it, a Derek vs Tahan fight. It's been floating around in my head since chapter two. Let me have this. D:

This is like, one of my fantasies of what I wanted to do in FateGuard made real.

Cool concept. I only see three things that confuse me.

Your Critical Zone thing hurts my head. How about instead of all that triangle stuff we just say that any arrows shot have lines of holy magic between them? That's powerful enough, as it allows you to create barriers against creatures. Plus it fulfills the subtlety criteria.

The magic eye things seems more sci-fi than fantasy, but that's probably just wording. And humans have practically 180 degree vision to start with... so I'm not sure why you're emphasizing that. If I've misread that's fine, but I'd still need to limit the blessing to ONE benefit only.

And having a grandfather who arrived with the Pilgrim settlers is a bit of a stretch. I'm 30 and my grandfather was born in 1914 and died 10 years ago... so... for him to be a working business owner he'd have to be at least a teenager... meaning my father would have to have been conceived between 1927 and 1964 (factoring sperm count range)... meaning I would be conceived between 1940 and 2004... and since your character looks to be in his early 20s, he would therefore need to have a 20 year old father born to a 70 year old grandfather, or a 30 year old father born to a 60 year old grandfather, or a 40 year old father born to a 50 year old grandfather, and so forth... and since Medieval life expectancy was usually 50 it makes all those combinations unlikely...

*collapses into a math coma*

X_@

1] The idea behind it was that the arrows form geometric points and that the area between them caused increased damage - rather than a simple puncture wound, it might start spurting blood. As more points are added and more possible triangles are created, the areas where they overlap do even more damage. I've got a series of diagrams to explain it if you want me to go more in depth with it.

2] Fair deuce - real vision is only a scant few degrees less than that - I had thought it was less but then again, my functional visual range is less than normal anyway since I wear glasses. I was trying not to do something so overpowered as a Byakugan. I'll edit that as soon as I get the rest of the details hammered out and just leave it with its penetrating zoom function.

3] I hadn't taken into account Medieval life expectancy when I made the timeline so that's my bad. I'll work on the timeline once I return from class tomorrow and edit to make it consistent.

EDIT: And it seems that the original bio post isn't being recognized by the system so I may have to make another post for the updated bio.

Alright...alright. Let him have his battle with the demon armor.

And Spammy.

whut?

Your character is trapped in a well?

Hopefully Arkavenn hasn't been killed off.

Honestly in a situation like this, Im at a huge disadvantage for the time. See Arias is going to be a great swordsman as hes quick to learning, but right now fighting undead was simple enough but fighting a trained Fateguard... Im in some shit on this one. So Arias will probably be scanning the room for anything that he can find to even odds a little bit in this battle. Alyss I would presume will be pretty fucked in this battle because she trusted him so much. Ill probably end up yelling something out about thinking, or needing to think and have you try and hold him off for a minute as I survey what can be done. If I could is it possible I can get a list of things that can be found in this room, possibly a plan like how Asmo did for the last one. It helps with strategizing. side from that we need to hold him off long enough to get a few patterns and see his attack styles. Hes faster than pretty much all of us, so it might be wise clustering as best we can with our backs to one of our comrades that way he can't land a back killing blow as easily. Thats all I can tell thus far. Ill be doing a post int he morning for this. =)

ALYSS IS ATTEMPTING TO HINDER BAD-MALWIN.

HOPEFULLY, IN THE BEST CASE, IT WOULD LOOK LIKE THIS

tumblr_lzpsx9hLLT1r2nynn.gif

if we're unlucky, Malwin brushes it off and continues on

tumblr_lt8zdzoFxh1qadhe0.gif

Injuries to Alyss are expected and understood.

[/martyr4lyf.jpg/whydoIdothis?]

There are weapons around, but they're mostly ceremonial. Think a hoard of holy treasure. Also, he's fighting like a monster, not a trained assassin. He never learned how to fight with super arms.

So Almost like vampiric speed Shadow Demon thing? with daggers.

...Erm

Sure.

I guess.

Go with that.

Yup Im pretty much going to Line a Chin around the Statues and clothesline the hell out of him in the right timing. I just can't let him keep track of me. I can't do much else cuz Im a shit swordsman at this point. is that alright or no? o.o

*walks into the OOC*

*notices everyone discussing how to kill each other*

*walks quickly to the IC*

[MENTION=3929]Yaoi Master Gavin[/MENTION], the triangle thing still gives me nosebleeds. How are we supposed to keep track of it in a play-by-post game where scenes aren't fully described and there's no map or grid? It's going to be hard for me to mod-post as the enemy when I have no idea where your triangles are and where they're overlapping and whether it's double or triple power or whatnot. It all sounds a bit gamey, and not in the culinary sense. >_>

Er, [MENTION=4]Chaos[/MENTION], I think YOU were the one who was knocked to his knees. That's how we know that Tahan has turned on us.

EDIT: And because Derek and Alyss refused to roleplay their poisonings, Corben will overcompensate on their behalf. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.