You're Safe With Me (artisticheart x ShizukiNirokuma)

artisticheart

Edgepeasant
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Romance, Modern, Slice-of-Life, Fandom
"Now, good sir. If it ever crosses my ears that my pretty little songbird gets hurt by one of your patrons again. Rest assured that your job will be forfeit, and also your life. Understood? I'm the owner. I get those privileges, you know?"

The man, despite speaking low and deliberate, gave a fake warm smile to the trembling club manager. Despite the brooding undertones of his promise (he doesn't do threats), he smiled as if he only gave a small piece of advice and didn't just put the manager's life and livelihood in danger. He sit calmly on the club manager's desk and studied the fearful manager. "Again, understood?" the man asked with more force in his tone.

The club manager nodded and choked out his response. "Y-yes sir. What ever you say, Mr. Winslow."

A third voice spoke up, another man in tow with the club owner. "Jasper, I think you've made your point."

"I sure hope so," Jasper laughed coldly. "Either way, we're done here. Both of you go about your business. I'm about to see my darling Aria."

Jasper and his second-in-command left the manager to his paperwork. The two exited the office and stepped out onto the club floor. As soon as they crossed the threshold, the once muted music now became obnoxiously loud. Jasper nearly had to yell in his partner's ear. "Raleigh, finish up here. I'm gonna be here a while."

Raleigh nodded and left without a word, leaving Jasper to scour the club for the club's popular entertainer. Jasper would correct himself in his mind - Lucy, Lucy, Lucy. He can't call her by the name he found on her paperwork, breach of privacy and anonymity. Either way, he needed to see her and properly introduce himself. The poor girl was in no mood for niceties after that horrible night and he didn't blame her at all. But now everything would change - Jasper would make sure of it.

Jasper prowled the club like his namesake, a Jaguar - affectionately given by his fellow members and fearfully known by his enemies. Several dancers came up trying to persuade him for a dance, but he would decline each one of them. In the end, he decide to sit down a few rows away from the stage and wait patiently. Surely, Jasper thought, Aria would come out and sing a song. The night was still young after all and it would only get busier from here on. Jasper scoffed to himself, "'No rest for the wicked' and all that."

Aria was stationed in the back where the dressing room the girls used was located. She had already changed into her costume for the night since tonight was more of a performance night where she would be singing over pole dancing. She wore a black dress that looked to be a cross between a Japanese Kimono and a Chinese Chiangsam dress, with gold and red accents, the Chiangsam style collar acted like a choker necklace that attached to the sheer material that was the start of the rest of the dress. She kept her makeup simple with just powder, a black, thin winged liner to draw attention to her mismatched eyes, one a bright blue and one an almost golden-honey brown color. A soft pink blush to tint her cheeks for a natural blush look and a red lip tint over traditional lipstick or liquid lipstick. Dressed and ready to perform, Aria would move from the dressing room to the side of the stage where she would enter after being announced.

Taking a deep breath to calm the usual nerves, but also this was the club where she had been 'attacked' drugged and brought to the back alley to be some pervert's plaything, only for it to be stopped by someone. She was still fuzzy on those details but it didn't matter. The only reason she was still here instead of performing somewhere else or even getting a different job altogether since she was old enough now she could elsewhere, was one...Loyalty. They were willing to overlook the fact that she was underage at the time if she promised not to say anything about the incident and two, where else would she be able to get away with implementing a no touching rule, and be able to sing a couple nights of the week. As it approached the time for her to perform, the club would fill up with more patrons. Business actually picked up when Aria asked for the no touching rule, people wanted to try and get what they couldn't have. But the rule was in place because Aria would have panic attacks when grabbed by men in a lewd manner or intent. So to avoid it, she didn't want to be touched. At first the boss was skeptical, until he saw the boom in business as word got out about a dancer they were not allowed to touch. Men wasting their money trying to entice the girl close enough to test the rule and how much trouble they would be in if they did, or upping the amount of money for a lapdance only to be denied and offered one of the girls that would be more willing to entertain them in that fashion.

The music would die down as the dj took up the mic at his booth. "And now! The main event! Our own little song bird! Miss Luuuuccccyyy!" He called out before Aria would begin to walk out onto the stage. She was very careful about where she stood while on the stage, even as she moved about, she was careful not to get to close to any of the edges, where someone could just reach out to grab her ankles or her skirt, staying close to the middle. As she performed she seemed to have gone in her own little world, like she forgot that she was singing in a strip club surrounded by perverts that would probably like to see her strip down to her undergarments while dancing and spinning about on the pole. When the song would come to an end, she would pause and take a bow before heading backstage again.

Jasper looked near bored as he waited for the performance to start. But finally, his hopes were realized. When Lucy was announced and she came onto the stage, Jasper didn't hoot and holler like the others around him. He did however smile a genuinely eager smile. A truly beautiful and unique young lady was in front of him, and he actually felt proud of her for stepping onto the stage again despite all that had happened.

Leaning back in his chair, Jasper watched Aria closely as nodded his head a little to the beat of the song. Flattering dress, purposeful movements, great connection with the audience... Have mercy. If he wasn't in this job, he would have gladly had the local TV stations host her as a performer. The wheels then began turning in Jasper's head. What if he could? He certainly had the power.

Jasper was so lost in his thoughts and plans that he almost didn't notice the song's end. This time, he would applaud as Aria bowed and took her leave. As soon as she left the stage, Jasper stood up and made his way to the bar. He came up to the bartender, who was polishing glasses. "Hello, Hazel," Jasper said. "Can you do me a favor?"

Hazel looked up, saw it was Jasper, and quickly put her cup and towel down. "Oh, Mr. Winslow! What do you need?"

"I need you to bring Lucy out here for me. I want to talk with her before her next performance. Is she available?"

Hazel pulled out her cellphone. "Let me call the house mom. One moment."

Hazel stepped away to the back of the house. After a few minutes, she would come back out again and address Jasper. "She's going to bring her out soon, so just hang tight, okay?"

With a cheeky smile, Jasper replied, "I won't move a muscle."

While Jasper waited, he took his phone out and checked the cameras on his surveillance app. He looked at the club first. A few smokers, others being checked in and vetted by the bouncer, but nothing out of the ordinary. He then checked his own home. Everything was in its place, and no one was lurking around that shouldn't be. Jasper let out a light sigh of relief, grateful for the lack of activity.

The first song would finish and Aria gave a triumphant smile at the sounds of the crowd, but she didn't stay long. Quickly she would leave the stage so that she could change costumes and prepare for the next song. She would have time to do so of course, as they always gave her time. If anything so the crowd would wind down a bit to avoid another incident. Aria was grateful for that at the very least but she was fine with the rushing to change to get back out there too. Aria had just finished changing out of her costume when the woman in charge of the ladies came up to her. Apparently there was someone asking for her? Aria blinked for a moment before she stood, throwing on her dress for the next performance and then a robe to cover it all up. She wanted to refuse...to tell them she would rather not, but this person must have some kind of power since it was made very clear that she couldn't refuse.

Aria froze in place for a moment, despite being reassured multiple times that she was fine, this person just wanted to talk and nothing more. She was starting to panic. Pacing around the room for a moment as she tried to calm herself. When she did finally steel her nerves, calm her breathing to normal and could no longer feel her heart beating so hard she thought it might burst out of her chest, she made her way over to the bar where Hazel keeping the male occupied for the time being. Stopping with enough space between the two that he would have to physically get up if he wanted to close the distance at all. "You wished to speak with me?" She spoke softly, trying to not sound curt and like she just wanted to get this over with. All the while discreetly watching him and what he did with his hands mostly. She wanted to make sure she could dodge and take refuge backstage once more if he did end up trying to get handsy with her.

Aria felt awkward standing here, where everyone could see her, and there was less of a height advantage for herself. She could only hope he would make the conversation quick as she still had to finish getting ready for her second song of the night. The music was playing for the girls to dance to again in the background and it was a little hard to hear, so Aria would begin to head back stage and even motioned for him to follow so she didn't seem rude or like she was just trying to brush him off. She just didn't want to have to stand too close in order to hear him or have to shout back and forth at each other. Once closerto back stage she looked over to him once more. "Sorry about that...they really bump the music for the dancers..." She commented with a soft chuckle.

Jasper waited patiently, having another quick scroll on his phone through some news headlines. Out of the corner of his eye, he caught the glimpse of Aria walking up to him. Jasper looked up, then laughed lightly as he sat back in his seat. "Ahhh yes," Jasper said with a grin. "There she is, our own little songbird."

Even though Jasper smiled, he could tell Aria was uncomfortable. He wished he didn't have to keep up his act but he had witnesses all around him. Jasper took a quick glance around his surroundings with his peripheral. Hazel polishing glasses, a few patrons talking with dancers, club security (gang members) walking around. These people would have questions if they caught Jasper acting out of character, but he didn't want to scare off Aria either. Jasper remained sitting, putting his phone away. Yet still, he kept up his grin as he continued to speak.

"Look at you. You look lovely," Jasper said, making big arm gestures but keeping within his bubble of space. "And you sound lovely as well. I'm glad to have you as my club singer, yes indeed! Absolutely invaluable!" He saw Aria's lips move, but couldn't hear over the club music. Jasper leaned forward to try to hear. "Come again, love?" he asked, but then Aria motioned for him to follow.

Jasper got up and followed Aria to the backstage area. He was relieved to be backstage. There wasn't too many people where he would have to play the eccentric big boss act. Loosening his tie, Jasper began to relax and spoke to Aria in a much more calm and normal manner.

"No, this is actually perfect," Jasper said. "I can speak to you plainly now."

Jasper straightened his blazer and gave a small, but genuine smile - a 180 from his original cocky attitude. He had the look of a mild-mannered businessman now. He stood up straight and kept his hands behind his back.

"How are you doing, Aria?" he asked quietly. He then caught himself. "Excuse me, Lucy. I've been wanting to speak to you for some time but several things have gotten in the way. I apologize for that. I take it you have to go on soon?"

While Aria was still by the bar with him, she was honestly creeped out by this guy. She didn't know what he wanted or even who he was, she could only barely make out what he was saying but it was sort of sending off a vibe that made her want to run to avoid another incident. The last thing she wanted was for something else to happen so soon after the last time. However, now that they were in the back room and he seemed to be a bit more lax, like the person out there was just for show. She rose a brow for a brief moment. Like he was a shape shifter but this was his true form.

She blinked as he called her by her true name. How did he know it? Did someone blab? There were only a very small handful of people that knew, then it donned on her. She vaguely heard him saying something about him being glad to have her as his club singer. And since he knew her real name, he could of only gotten it in one of three ways: He was the owner and he saw her papers from when she applied a while back, someone told him..or she knew him from her 'old life' as she soo fondly called the home she ran away from. Getting a better look at him she was beginning to suspect it was probably the first option.

"Technically yes...but I suppose the patrons would be fine with the delay knowing the big boss is here to hold it up for a moment." She responded. There was a little bit of sarcasm laced in her tone, but really it was just a reaction to being 'alone' with him. Not because he was the boss of the club, but because he was a man and underneath the robe she was wearing she was wearing another dress that would be rather revealing. "S..sorry." She apologized when she realized she may have come off as sarcastic and rude as a byproduct. "I'm managing I suppose. Being able to perform still helps...I get lost in my own little world up there.. forget this one exists sometimes.." She finished. "What did you mean by you've been wanting to speak to me?" She asked in confusion. Why would he have any interest in her? She was just an entertainer...sure something kind of shitty happened but beyond that she was no one special...what could she possible offer this man?

Reactions: artisticheart
Jasper listened as Aria talked. At her first comment, his eyebrows raised as he laughed a little bit. She had some bite to her. And understandably so - she had to have a little bit of attitude in an industry like this. It was an armor against strangers with the power to take advantage of them.

Jasper shook his head, as if to say "Don't apologize," and continued to let her speak. "Yes," he said with a small nod. "Well, it's a start. I'm glad you're able to keep moving forward.

"But, the reason why I am here is because I want you to come find me when it's time for you to leave for the night. I want to personally walk you out and make sure you get to your car safely. Or, if you need a ride. I want to provide it for you. See... I've heard something about our security staff being..... less than stellar in their job. So I want to be the one to make sure you get home safely."

Jasper overheard the DJ beginning his announcement yet again. "You don't have to give me your answer yet," Jasper said. "But I would at least like to see you before you leave for the night."

Another dancer in a short dress came up to see Jasper and Aria, looking giddy to see them, especially Aria. "Lucy! You're gonna kill it out there! You better sing your heart out!" she exclaimed.

Like a lightswitch, Jasper went back to his pompous persona. "Oh you already know she will, Sapphire!" he said with a hearty laugh. He then turned to Aria with a grin. "Go get 'em, little songbird."

And as Aria would walk past Jasper, Jasper would whisper in an almost begging voice. "And please, consider my offer seriously."

Jasper hoped he conveyed his sincerity well. Otherwise he was just another sleazy club owner trying to take advantage of her - surely that's what she would have thought. He couldn't force her either way, so all that was left to do was to wait until the night was over and the club closed for the night.

Aria was just suspicious of the whole situation. Why was he so interested in her safety himself? Did she do something to grab his attention? It honestly was making her a bit uncomfortable because her mind started racing to the worst possibility. It was a trick of some kind, he was going to get her alone and try to do terrible things! She almost froze in place if it weren't for Sapphire coming in to usher her to the stage. However, his character shifted to something else...and when he was sure no one would notice he reverted back to the same man that showed her concern over her safety.

She didn't have much time to think about it though as it was time to get back on stage taking the robe off once she was the side of the stage to reveal her second outfit. which showed off just enough but still allowed her to move freely with the second song, which was a high contrast with the first one. It was certainly more upbeat as well. Taking up the mic and it started right away. Singing her heart out, it really was like she was in her own little world as she danced and sang for the club. Still being mindful of where the edges of the stage were located especially as some of the men surrounding it would occasionally try to grab at her skirt to attempt pulling her closer, but she moved away too quickly for their slowed reactions.

At the end of her second song, she was done...Her time for the day was up and it was time to call it a night. Heading back stage she changed and removed her makeup. Not that she wore much to begin with. Her high selling point was the exoticness about her from her Heterochromia with one honeyed brown that looked almost golden in certain lighting and one bright blue. She pulled her chocolate tresses into a high pony tail and dressed in her clothes to head out, a pair of jeans and a tee with one of the Final Fantasy XV logo on it as it was her current favorite video game to play. She was going to just sneak out the back like she usually did but paused when she thought of Jasper. Was he still waiting backstage for her? She started to slowly head back to where she last left him to see. There wouldn't be harm in seeing if he was being true to his word or not right? Worst case scenario she ended up in a bad situation she could have prevented by continuing to be distrusting of people.

Jasper watched as Aria made her way up the stairs and discarded her robe. He looked with a bit of shock at the flow of the fabric and the way it shimmered as it caught the lights on the stage. Combined with the pure and powerful tone of her voice, Jasper shook his head as he watched her perform. A shady gentleman's (he said that loosely) club like this did not deserve such a strong performance.

The song ended before he knew it. Jasper watched as Aria exited off the other side of the stage. He glanced out to the crowd, seeing some people getting lap dances and others getting bottle service. Jasper especially looked at his men, stationed all throughout the club. They were keeping a sharp eye out for any rowdy customers or any illegal business... any illegal business they did not sanction, anyway. So far, so good.

Jasper would be found peaking out of the curtains, watching the crowd. Jasper pulled away and turned around to see Aria a few steps away from him. He seemed surprised, like he was caught off guard, then he looked down at her shirt and couldn't help but smirk. She didn't strike him as the gamer type. "Cute," he muttered to himself, but then cleared his throat.

He approached, meeting her half way. "I take it you're ready to go, Lucy?" he asked. "That's, if you're still okay with me escorting you out of here."

Aria was still a little unsure of allowing him to escort her out. After all, she was unsure of his motives beyond what he has said. Did he have a secondary motive? Yet despite those hesitations, her curiosity towards the man was piqued. Mostly in who the man was really as he clearly put on an act of sorts. "I'm ready...though I'm not far...my apartment is only a thirty minute walk from here..." She stated before starting to head towards the back exit. The way he seemed caught off guard actually made her chuckle a little as she was not expecting to surprise him. Hell she thought he was waiting for her.

"If it's alright with you...I'd rather walk. It sort of helps keep my head clear." She turned to look at him for a moment as they headed out of the door. It was also going to serve the purpose of getting to know this man a bit, while giving her the option of escape of things seemed to get a bit too uncomfortable. she didn't wait too long for him to reply as she started to walk in the direction of her apartment. Letting silence fall between them for a bit. She just felt awkward...wanting to start a conversation but not sure how. Did she beat around the bush or does she be direct?

After some time she finally looked over to him. "Did I do something that warranted you feeling like you're responsible for my safety? I mean I get it I am technically under your employ...but what did I do?" She asked finally. After all why would the big boss be here offering his protection to some lowly employee just because something terrible happened. Especially a place that was merely a front for the illegal shit going on in the background. Whether it was drugs or money laundering. So what exactly did she do to grab his attention? What was it going to cost her in the end? But also...who was this guy really? He clearly acted one way around others and completely different when he was alone with her.

She paused in her walking for a moment as she took a look around her surroundings. It was surprisingly quiet tonight...which was a relief as she didn't want other people overhearing the conversation, just in case he said something that could have been taken out of context or used for more nefarious deeds down the road.

Only a thirty-minute walk?! Now, Jasper was in shape, he didn't mind walking and certainly for Aria's sake. But 30 minutes for a walk was ridiculous in his mind. A 30 minute car drive? That's close. A bus ride? That's close. But walking...?

"No, of course. That's fine with me," he replied, his brilliant smile betraying the shock in his mind. Poor girl.

Usually, there'd be cooks or bartenders hanging out by the back entrance, either discussing side work or on their way to smoke. Tonight, it was a clear get away. No having to put on airs in front of Aria anymore. The boisterous mafia man act was starting to irritate him. The two exited the club and began their trek towards Aria's residence.

Jasper walked with Aria in silence. He wasn't sure what to talk about. Small talk didn't seem fitting. She might be put off by it anyway, at least, so he thought. He ran his hand through his black hair as he tried to think. Then, the question was posed, and Jasper seemed to be caught off guard a bit.

He looked to Aria, then looked at the sidewalk they walked on for a brief moment. When they came to a stop, Jasper sighed and looked down at Aria. His face was serious, somewhat stony, as he gave his answer.

"You were attacked, weren't you?"

Aria watched him closely as he seemed to contemplate how to response. A brow quirked for a moment as he finally responded. Bringing up the attack of course. "Yes...but that's not something that would normally concern someone...like the head honcho....to get involved and personally offer to walk the...person home.." she had to pause as she almost said victim instead and she was not trying to be seen that way. Yes it was tragic...yes it changed her...it would change anybody. But she was not going to be a victim. She was not going to allow herself or others to see her as such nor treat her as such.

"What's with you anyway? Do you have a split personality or something? You're not...like some psycho whose gonna kill me under the guise of trying to protect me are you?" She eyed him suspiciously. She obviously has seen far too many horror/slasher films. though she wasn't making an attempt to get away just yet. His odd changes in behavior when he was around others at the club ..so she could assume other gang members was vastly different that the man standing before her now. She personally preferred this person....the more relaxed not being so eccentric on his words and movements.

After a few minutes she would start to walk again. After all she didn't want to be out any later than she already was. The fresh air was amazing and she was really enjoying the walk, she usually did but having some company was nice, even if she was a bit wary of him and his intentions.