Younger Members! Answer me this!

Uh no, Asmo is like a really strict dad

if you wouldn't Do it infront of your dad, ya wouldn't do it in fron if Asmo...

I'm into anime (Moreso than most of you, I might add. Wanna confront m about it?) and I don't do all this kawaii kawaii neko neko glomptackle derp derp.

Is it because I'm an old member? ;_;

Asmo is... strict?

I mean, he seems to have uncommonly high conviction in many areas, he likes structure, and he's more likely to discuss his grievances openly than let them fester into some other unhealthy behavior, but he doesn't strike me as being strict, even if he does have his Anakin moments. :p

Now to those who don't know me so well, please don't make this into me talking down to you and say you're scared of me too. That would make me sad. :( I'm just another person asking questions and offering personal experience.

And from my perspective, it's just more than a little strange that so many would see one of the most instrumental people in getting me to be more outgoing and outspoken on Iwaku as frightening and prohibitive.

Especially when many of his rants about other roleplayers can be summarized thusly:

-"Building on proven plot structures is awesome!"
-"Make sense!"
-"Quit hiding your personality behind memes! I want to know who you are!"

Sure he misblames anime a lot, but he isn't alone. Nobody agrees with someone about everything. He knows I like anime, genderbending, and I do my own less anime-influenced cutesy behaviors at times. But he knows that isn't all there is to me.

I think that's the real issue.

Members hold back out of fear of ridicule and/or criticism. And then they replace what they aren't sharing with caricature and copycat behavior. And the years have given me the impression that seeing people suppress their spark of individuality--hiding what really makes them uniquely them--is a sort of a tragedy in his eyes.

That's just my attempted explanation of the "sides" from the angles I'm most familiar with.

Rifts?

Personally I don't think of it as an age thing. I mean, it is a factor sometimes, but some new members and I just keep gravitating towards one another(Megane and Vay, for example) while others remain casual acquaintances at best. And even then, how close we become is more a matter of personality and taste than seniority of any kind. Even the oldbies aren't always sure what to make of me.

As an original member with a scary name, to the other members, new and old who might be intimidated by me, I say this.

I'm not looking down on you. I'm still a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to presenting ideas. Sometimes you just have to stick your neck out in order to see the garden, so to speak.

Reactions: 2 people
I know I have always had problem with new AND old members telling me they are afraid to roleplay with me, because I am "of a higher skill level". Where I proceed to get frustrated, because all I want to do is roleplay and meet new roleplay friends, and I can't if they're afraid of me. >>; Especially cause I don't consider myself an elite roleplayer. I'm just aggressive and unafraid of risk taking.

And thats just roleplaying. .___.; Elsewhere I've been told I was a scary admin too. Thankfully here on Iwaku Asmo is the scary one and I get to be cute and loveable. >:D

But, really... We really are all here to enjoy ourselves and get away from reality. >>; But, reality is, people are scardy cats still. I would love to see people take more risks when it comes to getting to know someone they're unfamiliar with (newbie or oldie) and carry on with the risk taking elsewhere in their online life!

People could get to know others better if they posted more often in these weird little topics. >:D You learn a lot about people that way.

Reactions: 1 person
I dunn... I met CoffeCakeSadist around the same time as Asmo, but I didn't get the whole "Please don't kill me!" feeling. Maybe it's first impressions that count, as well?
And like I said, I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to roleplaying... I'm not very experienced with running a roleplay...I'm not aggressive at all.... ^_^;

*Hugs everyone*

I HAVE A SOLUTION: EVERYONE HUG!

I consider myself rather old. I thinking knowing Gabe even existed makes me old.

It's just that Jap culture is melting everyone's brains.

Even at school. the frosh bounce and 'squee' and do all this disgusting crap. Look at the newest shows and crap.

man, I'm still pretty young, but I feel old. Society is being eaten by the GIANT SQUINTING MONSTER THAT IS ASIAN CUUULTUUUUURE

edit

stop talking about asmo. you are all stroking him where he shouldn't be stroked!

he is most like a big brother that does silly things, makes poses, and bumps into walls. I don't think he's strict, either.

Then again, I have asian parents. NOTHING IS STRICT

SO STOP WHINING

huh, I don't think I've joined either Asmo's or Diana's rps.... Maybe I should try to someday....but they'll need to start one for that. I've also never started an rp, but I don't really have any ideas for that atm.....

Oh man, now another old member is here.

;_;

P.S.

I am of the opinion that your brain doesn't melt unless you let it get melt.

(Sadly, more people are very accepting of the death ray.) -_-

huh, I don't think I've joined either Asmo's or Diana's rps.... Maybe I should try to someday....but they'll need to start one for that. I've also never started an rp, but I don't really have any ideas for that atm.....
Weird Asmo-flavored
Pulp Asmo-flavored
Diana-flavored

They aren't the slave-drivers people make them out to be. I'd say they are two of the most permissive GMs on the site.

I have systematically removed your excuses while clinging to my own. Now get in there and play. :P

I dunn... I met CoffeCakeSadist around the same time as Asmo, but I didn't get the whole "Please don't kill me!" feeling. Maybe it's first impressions that count, as well?
And like I said, I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to roleplaying... I'm not very experienced with running a roleplay...I'm not aggressive at all.... ^_^;
First impressions definitely make a difference. In my experience, the funny thing about people is that sometimes their first impression of you will forever color the way they see you no matter how differently you behave after that.

I am of the opinion that your brain doesn't melt unless you let it get melt.

(Sadly, more people are very accepting of the death ray.) -_-
QFT.

Do you members think the 3-Admin thing is a problem?

Right now it's a result of merging with Moonwings, and me having Rory around to stop me going crazy like Gabe and Homac.

i always thought it was because the two of you are rather opposites when it comes to dealing with things.

Asmo is the wise disiplinarian who lets you know when you fuck up and how to fix it, Rory as the kind of softer, smartarse counterpart.

think of it as a parental thing, one parent is the strict, well meaning parent and the other is the one who sofens the blow but doesnt take away the message behind it.

both still are looking out for you, its just two different, but equally neccesary approaches.

as for the new member thing, its jsut they way shit is.

i grew up with warhammer and necromancy as my main outlests in terms of my imagination, thus why my mind centres on warhammer figures and the "grim" soldier type.

i mean its true my facination with other things (Soviet Union and history in general) come to the fore at times, but I am of the opinion that much of this new "cutesy" culture has come forth the the fact that Anime is more and more becoming mainstream, so that even people that dont watch it are aware of it, and some of the more 'popular' conventions thereof, like the 'glomp' and thats okay, i mean sure it can get annoying, but shit, Ike may have mad a point that makes me cringe, but in a way he is correct.

im sure that our habits annoyed the shit out of those before us, so why should the younger members be any different with theirs?

*puts "plotting a thoughtful and educated response to this" on his list of things to do*

Asmodeus, in response to the opening post you made three weeks ago...

In my experience this behavior is completely conformed to one parameter. To be more specific, you'll notice watching the c-box that the males start to show personality when no females are present, but when they show up they seem to all become a lot alike what you describe. Perhaps I am ill-perceptive of this but I haven't seen this go both ways very often, females always seem to behave the same in the presence of males or not, but it might be because there's never actually a c-box where no male is present. This is behavior I have observed on almost every c-box that resides on an anime/role play forum. It's a culture in itself, I guess you could say.

It isn't a developing stereotype, it is a well developed stereotype. It's not unusual, I see it all the time. Very common symptoms include excessive emotes that involve touching each other or at least an expression of attention targetted on one person, not hugs and glomps but things more distinct and unusual.

Thank you for that rousing explanation, Dr. Freud. By the way, why's your name black?

just my two cents:

(1) i usually stay in the chatbox because i find it easier to interact with you guys there.

(2) i guess newbs rely on certain cliches and "deficiencies" to identify themselves so that it would make it easier for the veterans to identify them. it doesn't necessarily tell much about their personalities (for example, i think jinx is more of a weaboo than me), but its there for identification purposes. the longer a member stays on a certain group, the more chances their true individual identities shine.

i think the reason why asmo finds it difficult to know the newbs is because he has already known too many members, and differentiating them from one another grows more and more difficult with each new member joining iwaku. (or maybe it's just me ^_^)

[and yes, perhaps my view has already been stated someplace else in this thread, and if ever that is true, my apologies]

Perhaps it's something to do with the disconnect some people feel between their identities online and 'the real world.' I don't think of it being so much as an age issue, as perhaps discomfort with one's identity.

If someone feels that they are uninteresting in the real world, they feel they can make up for it online by adding various eccentricities to their personality. However, what does one do when confronted with a vast network of individuals who are "more interesting?" Perhaps at that point, their search for the "I" becomes the search for the "We". If you can't stand on your own, the next best thing is to stand with the many.

I don't know, it's just a thought, albeit half-formed. I'm of the mind that one must become comfortable with their identity IRL, before they can come into their own-having an 'identity' online is something that will just come naturally after that.

Reactions: 4 people
I very much like Tegan's view on it! That really does sound like a lot of people I've seen over the years. Especially ones I've been able to get to know on both ends. >>