Would you rather be a Jedi or Wizard?

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

Jedi or Wizard?

• Jedi

• Wizard

• Screw these options, I want a Red Shirt!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you feel the need to do this to me?
Politics, my dear.

giphy.gif

(As for dodging blaster bolts, by the way, that particular jedi was very fond of her clones. She was not expecting an attack, and thus let her guard down.)

Lightsabers are created with small crystals within them that resonate with and reflect the force of its wielder. This is very much like a wand in the Harry Potter universe. As such, I'd like to think that the powers parallel each other, and could be used to counter each other.

Both wizards and jedi have advantages. Wizards could cast protective spells to block the force, and have spells to disarm a jedi of her lightsaber. Jedi can use the force without a wand, allowing them to easily disarm their opponents. Ultimately, it boils down to skill on who wins, not the nature of each combatant. One should look at personal utility or compatibility to determine their following, not the overall combat skill of two vastly creative forces.

I chose to be a redshirt, because I dislike the responsibility imposed by power; I don't trust myself. But both options seem equally valid to me.
It's too bad this isn't a debate over who'd win in a fight. Simply who you'd rather be.

And wands are conduits and focuses for magical capability (except for those gifted few). Lightsabers aren't the same. Anyone can pick one up and wield it, like Grievous.

Well, shoot.

Oh, right. A mediocre fireball would effectively detonate on the lightsaber if it was blocked.

But this isn't debate, lovely Jorick! (You'd blow me out of the water somehow I'm sure.)

Being a wizard would be totes more fun. Unlocking the mysteries of the universe. Instant teleportation, transforming into animals at will, magical alchemy.

Sure beats sitting around meditating and not having a direct hand in most conflicts.
Oh, would fire blow up a lightsaber? I'm nowhere near enough of a Star Wars nerd to know the mechanics of the things, lol.

The idea of magic in general is more fun, but I don't particularly care for the Harry Potter version. The purely mechanical "do the motion and say the word" thing seems kind of boring, honestly. Learning HP magic would be like learning math, just the rote mechanical processes, instead of being a personal thing. I figure Jedi powers would be more fun than HP magic if you went Sith, which is exactly what I'd do. Screw meditating and staying out of things, I'mma get my rage on and fuck shit up. :bsmile:

What happens to a HP wizard without their wand?

Extremely talented individuals can use magic in a sort of instinctive way, with unpredictable results. I know of none who can control it enough to be useful.

Oh, would fire blow up a lightsaber? I'm nowhere near enough of a Star Wars nerd to know the mechanics of the things, lol.

The idea of magic in general is more fun, but I don't particularly care for the Harry Potter version. The purely mechanical "do the motion and say the word" thing seems kind of boring, honestly. Learning HP magic would be like learning math, just the rote mechanical processes, instead of being a personal thing. I figure Jedi powers would be more fun than HP magic if you went Sith, which is exactly what I'd do. Screw meditating and staying out of things, I'mma get my rage on and fuck shit up. :bsmile:
Jorick confirmed for power hungry sith.

It does. HP magic is so dull. Any other setting has better magic. But it's really there for simplicity and the setting.

It's too bad this isn't a debate over who'd win in a fight. Simply who you'd rather be.

And wands are conduits and focuses for magical capability (except for those gifted few). Lightsabers aren't the same. Anyone can pick one up and wield it, like Grievous.

I was not debating?

This thread is beautiful.

BEAUTIFUL.

We doing this?

We doing this.

I wouldn't want to be a Jedi because being abducted at a young age and forced to follow a strict moral code doesn't sound like the type of life I'd wanna lead. The Jedi are badasses, but they don't really have a good time. The wizards of the HPverse are more or less free to use magic to enhance to enhance their daily lives as they see fit. Magic also seems to be more lively and multifaceted than the Force, which is more or less just pure power.

• Thank You
Reactions: Space Cowboy
Jedi, but being perfectly honest my only reasoning for this is lightsabers.
Why have magic, when you can have magic and a lightsaber?
If Wizards also got a lightsaber then it would be a much closer call.

+I would be a Jedi instead of a Sith, but a Jedi father Luke takes over as Grandmaster.
Because Luke had the sense to abolish most of the Jedi's silly rules such as "Love is banned".

And although I do sympathize with the Sith, I would still join the Pre-Luke Jedi over them.
I mean, Jedi at least have honor, respect, care, moral standards etc. The sith is a system of constant betrayal, cowardice and genocide.
Just look at Alderran... I don't care how "Anti-Love" the Jedi are, that's better than killing an entire planet of innocent people.
A common trick with bounty hunters is to use flamethrowers on Jedi.
It works because the Lightsaber is unable to block the fire (It's not a solid/single object) so it get's right in the Jedi's face.
However, it does not cause the lightsaber to explode. Lightsabers still function fine, fire just isn't something it's capable of blocking is all.
So yea, fire is effective against Jedi. But it's not that effective.

Jedi, hands down.

And by that, I mean sexy, scantily clad Sith empress. Force chokes for all of you.

• Love
Reactions: Space Cowboy
I've seen the shit some wizards can do. That light saber doesn't do much good once they cast you through a different plane of existence.

Oh potterverse wizards, well shit I'm not sure what they can really do. Shoulda read the opening post before casting my vote. Still wizards are pretty intense.

I'll just leave this:

Heh... don't see my personal choice anywhere in this thread's "vote" tally. I want Ben Tennyson's Omnitrix.

Status
Not open for further replies.