Without Heaven [OOC + Signups]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sai were farm tools used in Okinawa, no samurai would even have a concept of using one as a weapon.
B-But wikipedia said that it can be used as a weapon. Should I change it to a dagger then?

B-But wikipedia said that it can be used as a weapon. Should I change it to a dagger then?
I'm not the GM, but I would change it. When swords were banned in Okinawa, the farmers converted their farm tools to weapons and proceeded to kill the shit out of every samurai they caught unawares. Sure, it's a weapon. But no character would know that.

I'm not the GM, but I would change it. When swords were banned in Okinawa, the farmers converted their farm tools to weapons and proceeded to kill the shit out of every samurai they caught unawares. Sure, it's a weapon. But no character would know that.
Ooh, okay then. I changed her weapon into a kaiken ^_^

Groovy. Looks like a great character. I know mine might well pay her establishment a visit or two.

Fujiko is approved!

Personally, I don't have an issue with Fujiko wielding a sai. Like I stated in the first page, not everything has to be historically correct.

Also, thank you for your votes guys! We will go with Plot A then as our main storyline. I'll try to get the IC thread up some time today.

Ahhh *still hasn't posted CSs*

... Then again I don't have to be there for the opening... right?

Hope you don't mind if I make a few adjustments to my character. I have done some research and found out a lot about Samurai. ^^ I'll be making adjustments, and I'll let you know when I am finished.

Ahhh *still hasn't posted CSs*

... Then again I don't have to be there for the opening... right?
I'll leave Aito's girls out of my first post, so if you end up playing one of them you can be doing whatever you like. I'll also be available to collaborate with you if you want late tonight or tomorrow.

But right now, my best friend is about to leave for Basic training, and I need to see him off.

So while everyone's waiting for the IC, how about a little Q&A to pass the time.

Q: If your character had a battle theme, what would it be?

Reverend Hojo's would probably be this:

Aito's would begin at the part where the voice growls, "Stormbringer, ruler of worlds," and go from there.

Oh wow. I can't believe I missed all of this, while I was busy dealing with things. XD

uhm. wait. That Fujiko girl is kinda wrong. Geisha were not high-class whores to be bartered off to lords like political cattle. Hime certainly were, in a sense; that is the daughters of lords sold off in political marriages that were often arranged before those girls were even born by the families. That happened all the time sure. but those girls were not trained to be respectable geisha. They went through a different grooming process. It's a western-perpetuated myth that geisha were somehow equivalent to courtesans and would sleep with their visitors. A Geisha, as it is a profession, was meant to entertain her guest with arts, poetry, song and music, ease their minds and care to their souls, it was a dignified position and if you wanted to get into one's pants, you had best be ready to bring a crap-ton of gifts to show you could support her, and be ready to put a metaphorical ring on it or else she wouldn't accept you.

just look at the introductory paragraph wikipedia offers.
[Geisha (芸者?), geiko (芸子) or geigi (芸妓) are traditional Japanese female entertainers that are trained as professional singers, dancers, and companions for men. The word geisha itself means artist. As artists, geisha are trained to entertain men in either a professional or social gathering. The skills geisha use to entertain male customers include serving tea, playing instruments, cultural dances, and the art of conversation. As skilled entertainers, Geisha must go through a training program so they can learn the skills needed to entertain. This process can take anywhere from six months to three years.]
note that nowhere there does it mention getting sold off to be raped and beaten.

Geisha led strict lives that demanded perfection from them, but there were some perks to be had out of that arrangement too. That;s not just a little bit historically incorrect. As one of my Japanese friends once put it when commenting on the issue to me "It's about as offensive to a proud japanese as an old 'indian' feather headdress you'd see in cowboy movies would be to actual natives. It's a continued misrepresentation of our culture that was meant to sully it."

Now i'm sure you were probably not aware of this yourself so I don;t accuse you of intentionally portrating a racially offencive charicature or anything. I just thought it would be in yoru best interest to inform you of the inaccuracy of the idea of the geisha as a high class whore or slave.

also, for muramasa's theme... this for his battle theme. it fits his style well, starts off slow, stalker-like, and then erupts for a few chords only to drop back down and rise alternatively a few times arhythmically, going back and forth between quiet and mencacing, and fast and rampaging. Exactly the way muramasa fights.

As a bonus, this would be a general theme for him.

Name: Yigin

Alias/Titles: Gin, Chunk [if you want a beating]

Profession: Shiro's #2

Jin%2BKazama.jpg
jin_kazama_cgi__tekken_tag_tournament_2__by_jin_05-d57plmu.png

Likes: The lost art of physical persuasion, nature watching, drinking, swimming and being alive

Dislikes: Overcompensating jerks, people who think they are smarter than they really are, most authority, bullies and anybody who is dumb enough to threaten, harm or disrespect his friends.

Bio: In the early years of his life, Yigin was a normal child. His mother loved him and his father cared for him. When he was nearly five, the region's economy had slumped into all-out poverty. His father was one of the few people to maintain an income and this made their family targets for those who had no job. Yigin's father was very generous to the community and even the occasional traveler but to some, this was a silent boast and a condescending act.

One night, several men and women broke into Yigin's home. His parents gave away nearly everything they had in order to avoid any violence and this seemed to work. After several months, a similar instance took place. Yigin soon realized his parents were now in a cycle of passivity that was not only expensive but dangerous. These visits were a regular thing in Yigin's home for nearly four years. No one was ever hurt and the bandits always allowed his family time to build up food and clothing before returning to plunder the good people.

Yigin was a week away from turning nine when another visit from the villains occurred. This time it was different. There were more than just the four or five who normally came. They gathered everything up and began carting it out of the house but two men lingered in the tiny bedroom where Yigin and his parents had huddled for safety. His father and pushed him under the bed and was holding his mother tight to stifle her whimpers and sobs.

One of the bandits took hold of Yigin's mother and the other beat his father with a club when he tried to protest. Yigin never saw his other again. When the bandits left, the boy crawled from his hiding place and went to his father who was bloody and unconscious. He wept as any child should but his tears were interrupted by the smell of a fire. Soon the house was engulfed in flames and the boy tried desperately to drag his father through the house and out the front door. He nearly succeeded but as the boy was heaving with all his might only a foot from the door, the roof came down. A fiery rafter smashed the space between his body and his father's sending each flying in opposite directions.

Yigin woke up in a make-shift hospital similar to the one in his village but it was a different landscape out the window. The left side of his body was covered in bandages including his neck, face, chest and arm.

As the years went by, Yigin discovered he had been sold as a servant to a wealthy family in another province. He was treated as an animal. They kept him in the barn, caged him at night, fed him scraps that were sometimes fed to the livestock first and used and abused his body in ways that Yigin, himself, has blocked from his mind.

Despite the rough upbringing, Yigin became a huge man. His strength, pain threshold and overall meanness soon became a calling card. Other wealthy families began bringing around some of their servants to fight the big brute. The growing masses began to call him 'Chunk'. His size was biggest factor but there were two separate occasions where he hit someone so hard that they lost a chunk of their face.

Years of this went by and Yigin had grown to accept and like his life. He was fed better, given whores from time to time and even allowed to travel for special events. His prowess in combat was elevating his life. One night after a particularly bloody set of fights, Yigin had asked his master for a prostitute. As usual, the master complied while counting stacks of money.

An hour later, an attractive young woman showed up. She was dainty and frail but her eyes held such a resolve that Yigin was put off his game. Instead of bedding him, she spoke with him about a life outside of slavery. Their conversation lasted hours and into the morning. When the master came to set the fight schedule for Yigin, he found this woman still lingering. The old man went into a rage and called for his guards. Yigin exploded on the men killing several in a matter of moments.

He escaped with this woman and they fled the territory. Yuki was her name and she was once a prostitute who used her wiles and former position to help free beleaguered peoples in the land. Yigin spent the next few years with Yuki learning about the world and about life.

When the law came down to remove the weapons from the people, Yigin and Yuki had built up a small homestead where over a dozen rescued souls had made camp. They were simple people who tried anything they could to better one another and help those around them.

When the Shogun's soldiers came to disarm them, they were reluctantly compliant. Everything seemed as if it was going to pass over until Yuki [famous for her sharp tongue] snapped an insult to the leader of the guards. She was soon the target of a dozen armed soldiers all seeking to teach the pretty girl a lesson.

Yigin and his comrades tried to fight and it even felt as if they might win but the skill and discipline of the troops were too much for a brawler and some freed slaves. Yuki was killed as were several others in the group. Yigin was bound in chains and led away. They tied him to their horses and drug him through the bloody soil. He hit his head on a rock and was about to pass out when his eyes were pulled past the lifeless corpse of his friend and rescuer; Yuki. She would be the last thing he would ever see of Japan. When he woke up, he was on the island of convicts.

It did not take Yigin long to find a place in Ritenkyo. A young woman named Shiro [who had some likeness to Yuki] was gathering like-minded folk to her in an effort to create a group capable of protecting and providing for itself in this seemingly lawless land. Yigin serves Shiro and the Shin faithfully. His scars reind him of the past but he clings to the first lesson Yuki ever taught him; Living life is about the decisions you make today to improve your tomorrow.

Weapon(s): Single nunchuck [very well crafted and reinforced], brass knuckles built into a set of padded fighting gloves, dagger in his boot and several shurikens tucked into the back waistline of his pants

Fighting Style: Brawler

Other: The left side of his face, neck and torso are covered with scars that look to be the result of some type of fire.

Theme:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Buio
man, i got nothin to say about yingin. awesome character dude. Thumbs up

Reactions: WarriorHeart
Status
Not open for further replies.