What's your favorite book?

Here's a list I wrote about "most important books/plays/stories in my life, blah blah" a few months ago, because yeah... facebook. Bolded the most favorite, as far as I'm concerned.

Alexandre Dumas' "The Count of Monte Cristo" – The television series Wishbone introduced this one to me (and countless other classics) when I was very young. Anyway this was my favorite book up until I was like thirteen or so. It's still in like my top twenty books of all time and it's one of those classical (?) period of books that inspires me as a writer and is one of my bars for quality.

Sir Walter Scott's "Ivanhoe" – My all-time favorite novel to this day, I love the narrative and attention to detail. This is the type of writing I want to be able to (someday) achieve. I also am a bit of a dork and love the historical stuff, I think the only reason I picked it up as a kid was that Walter Scott wrote about Robin Hood before and I wanted more rich cool stories in that kind of period.

Homer's "The Odyssey" – Okay this one is a bit cheating but it's fairly important as it was the first story after Robin Hood that also was introduced to me on the PBS show I aforementioned. I love the journey of this one and I think it's my favorite "epic" of all time and I've read a few. Probably the story that got me into Greek Mythology (which was a big thing for me briefly).

Ray Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451" – My first dystopian novel and one that shaped my fear of authoritarian politics and tyrannical precedent. This is the one that would inspired me to read "1984" and "Brave New World" which also expedited that fear. Before this novel I was a pretty naïve "young democrat" type that was overly optimistic. Not after this book.

William Shakespeare's "Macbeth" – Again a little bit cheating, but hey this is my favorite Shakespeare ever! Beats out my love for Hamlet which was introduced to me in High School (no surprise there). Not sure why this one resonates with me but definitely my favorite play.

Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird" – Introduced to me in the 9th or 10th grade, I'm sure my classmates would remember. Probably my favorite novel introduced to me during those formative high school years. Taking my love for the period and telling a gripping legal drama in a small rural town. Might have been what inspired me to read more novels from the 20th century since at the time I was stuck in the 19th and 18th centuries for my book reading.
J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit" – Mom bought be this one I don't know when, but I still have it in my shelf. Probably my introduction to fantasy literature which I followed up with the LOTR trilogy which spring-boarded me into the realm of Jordan and many other authors.

Stephen King's "It" – Baby's first horror novel that wasn't R.L. Stine! I read this over and over in the 8th grade and while I don't think it holds up as much and isn't my favorite King anymore it holds a special place for making me interested in horror (though video games such as Silent Hill were just as important for that).

Brian Jacques' "Redwall" – Book one of the Redwall series and my favorite 'young adult' thing even to this day and it's still very readable. Jacques had a skill of not talking down to the reader while they were immersed in a world of mice and rats and swords. Actually might predate The Hobbit as my first fantasy novel but I never connected the two.

Richard Connel's "The Most Dangerous Game" – My favorite short story ever and I've loved basically every retelling I've seen of it. Might be why I like survival stories dealing with "When is it too far? Are we still human once we fall so low?" Very influential when I write survival horror stories or play them.

Sadly, I don't read as often as I like. but I may as well list the ones I like!

The Art of/Design works - I'm a sucker for Art Books from varying movies and games, I love and appreciate art. A few that I own are the likes of Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Godzilla(2014, Pacific Rim. I don't willy nilly buy these like crazy, it has to be a franchise/universe I'm well interested in.

Songs of Fire and Ice - Big fan of this series, half way through them too! I love the political intrigue and the backstabbing. Great book series.

The Hobbit, Two Towers, Return of The King - J.R. Tolkien is a given for me, I love fantasy, so this isn't a surprise 8D. I'm not particularly fond of Fellowship though.

Journey to The West - Possibly one of my all time favourite Folklore tales/Legends. I'm a huge fan of the Monkey King, Sun Wukong.

Reactions: Ser K+
Listing my favorite books would take an exorbitant amount of time, however, with that said, a book that I am currently rereading again that I find particularly good is the The Spy Who Came in From the Cold by John le Carré.

It remains one of the finest spy thrillers ever written and I highly recommend to anyone with even a moderate interest in espionage and/or the Cold War.

At the moment...

nw2lg.jpg

I heard Patrick Rothfuss is really good!

One of my favourite authors is Brent Weeks. I started with the Night Angel trilogy and now I've got everything up to his latest one that was released in August. I haven't read it yet, waiting for the end of finals before I let myself get sucked into a book.

Reactions: Poetic Justice
Leafa said:
I heard Patrick Rothfuss is really good!

One of my favorite authors is Brent Weeks. I started with the Night Angel trilogy and now I've got everything up to his latest one that was released in August. I haven't read it yet, waiting for the end of finals before I let myself get sucked into a book.

He is an excellence story teller my friend. I'm fascinated by his writing and LOVE this story! I don't think I've ever read such a book where I cried, laughed, and mourned all in one book. I CAN'T Wait til the third come out! I don't want it to end though!

Although considered "Children Books" (which idk why because there was a good amount of violence in it) I enjoyed reading the Shadow Children series a few years back. Such a good set of books.