What's your favorite book?

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by Jorick, Nov 15, 2014.

1. It's a simple question, but it's often hard for people to actually answer it definitively, unless they're those gross people who don't read for fun. Losers.

Anyway, I'm curious to know what kind of books Iwaku denizens love, and whether or not they can actually bear to pick a single favorite. I know I struggle with it myself when asked. For the sake of not causing too much mental anguish, feel free to pick a series, or to give an ordered top 10 list, or just a list of books that you can't bring yourself to rank, whatever works for you.

My favorite standalone novel (because I find it hard to rate single novels of a series against standalone novels) would have to be Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. I love fantasy and I love comedy, and this book gives the best of both worlds. It doesn't take itself or anything else seriously, yet it has a solid story with actual character development. Many books fail at the good story and character development things while being wholly serious, so seeing a ridiculous comedic book manage it is pretty awesome.

My favorite series (which overall I regard more highly than Good Omens) would have to be the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin, better known as the series that spawned the Game of Thrones television series. I really like epic scale fantasy with tons of point of view characters, I enjoy being unable to predict exactly what's going to happen next in a series, and realistic worlds that don't have black and white morality are the best. This series delivers on all of those points, plus great characters with actual development, a solid balance between regular medieval era stuff and magical fantasy elements, tons of political intrigue, and an engaging plot interwoven between the huge cast of characters. I could fanboy about it for a long time, but I'll spare everyone that sight.

And because I'm one of those assholes who enjoys giving long lists of things where just a couple would suffice, here are some honorable mentions without tedious explanations.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson
    The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan and completed by Brandon Sanderson
    The Stand by Steven King
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman
    The Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson
    The Coldfire trilogy by C.S. Friedman
    The Black Company series by Glen Cook
    The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett

• Like Like x 4
  2. I've pretty much mentioned this every time the topic of books comes up, but Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer is hands down my favorite series of all time, I will never stop praising it, everything about it is just soo good. I love the combination of fantasy and sci fi. I love every single the character. I love how even though the main character is male and close friends with a female, there's hardly any romance involved; which is such a rarity nowadays. Overall I just think it is a fantastic set of books and I could fangirl over it all day long, seriously recommend it to anyone who's even remotely interested. The best part is that they're ever so slowly adapting the books into graphic novels, so far they've finish 4 out of 8; halfway done and I have a copy of every single one so far.

Anyways, don't mind me, I'm just geeking out over here.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The collective poems of Robert Service. A book passed down from my grandparents to my mother. I saved it before she could inevitable damage it or otherwise during my parent's divorce. One of the few things from my childhood that I still have, helped to spark my love of writing.

Notable, the spine of the book is hand sewn, and it implies that one day, maybe, men will be on the moon. Should imply the age of it.

4. Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkein. No contest.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Unfortunately I can't choose an absolute favourite book. I think Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami sits pretty close up there though, solely because it helped rekindle my love for reading books, and not just comics and manga, so for that reason I'll always have a soft spot for it.

Other books/series I like and that I'm in the process of reading are Mistborn and Wheel of Time. Your list is pretty interesting to me, Jorick, I also have The Stand and first book of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series to read sometime in the future. XD I'm gonna keep an eye out on those other series you've mentioned, too.

6. Although @Jorick has gone and listed several of what I would rank as all-time favorites - Wheel of Time, Mistborn, and ASoIaF...I'll throw in a few others...

Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson - the first of a series of modern fantasy novels. Really, they're superheros...kinda.
    (oh look at that, Wikipedia tells me the name of the series is Reckoners)

For the non fantasy crowd...and books that I read at some point in high school or college that I actually enjoyed while everyone else bitched and moaned. Somehow, I was that person.

Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier
    For Whom the Bell Tolls - Hemingway (seriously, read this!)
    Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte

7. American Gods by Neil Gaiman

8. That's really hard to say. Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky has a special place in my heart, but so does The World According to Garp by John Irving. And nope, I'm not a literary snob; I just belong to the minority of people who actually enjoy the works of classics, thank you very much. I also enjoy pretty much everything written by the awesome Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, Andrzej Sapkowski and Isaac Asimov. When I was a kid, I was also deeply affected by the book called The Daughter of Witches (Córka czarownic) by Dorota Terakowska, and I remain fond of the novel to this day.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett;
    Social commentary and humor baked into the most fantastic of fantasy worlds. Damn near impossibly good charachterization of every charachter, no matter how brief.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Can't make up my mind for books, but for young-adult:

[​IMG]

• Love Love x 1
  11. One book series that I find myself reading more than a lot of other is the Obsidian Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey & James Mallory.

That's typically my default answer. :D Though I really think the "prequel" and the "pre-prequel" are not as good as the original trilogy.

My new favorite (even though the author is taking him time writing them. ><) is by Douglas Hulick. He's written two books to date. Among Thieves and Sworn in Steel.

12. Do you have a year for me to list them? Seriously, there has never been a book I have read that hasn't been my favorite for at least a little while. I am one of those people who has never met a book they didn't like.

But, if I had to pick a favorite, it would have to be Wolves of the Calla. I have read that book at least twenty times, and I'm still not tired of it. The story itself is interesting, but it's the characters that really make the book.

Tied with that though would be Thief of Always. Yes, it was meant as a book for kids, but the story is still really good. The ending of the book is one that makes you feel kind of warm and fuzzy inside, even though it is kind of sad.

For a series, besides Dark Tower, I would have to go with the Tyrelle series. The writing is amateurish, and the ending left a lot to be desired, but I still liked it.

Falling by Christopher Pike is amazing too.

Yeah, I could spend all day writing down a list, but I'll leave it at those.

13. Oh. And if you are a Bioware fan, pick up Rogues of the Republic. Its chockfull of great banter and really neato charachter interactions. And its essentially a heist story set in a fantasy setting.

14. John Dies at the End.

Above all of the other novels, manga, and series I have crammed onto my bookshelf, JDatE is still my favorite.

15. Pretty much everyone here has awesome taste and has covered several of my favourites, so I'll just chuck in those that both haven't been mentioned yet and that I can think of off the top of my head. It's times like this that I wish I were still home with my bookshelf so that nothing slipped my mind.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. It's just fantastic. Brilliant, even. A mash-up of a murder mystery and a sorta-heartwrenching, sorta-heartwarming slice-of-life style exploration of the perspective of an autistic teenager on the world. I've read this a stupidly high number of times. And it's apparently currently in the West End in London as a show, which I'm now so, so going to see.

They're plays, admittedly, but The Cherry Orchard and Uncle Vanya by Chekhov are just... genius. I was lucky enough to have an English teacher who was incredibly passionate about his work and was considered one of the top authorities in Scotland on his work. It's not particularly enjoyable until you analyse it critically from an academic perspective, and then suddenly the painstakingly precise crafting and interweaving of the themes and characters become clear and, honestly, blow you away.

American Gods has already been mentioned, but I feel the need to give a shout-out to Gaiman's Fragile Things as well. It's a collection of short stories that, pretty much for the first time, really, truly demonstrated the literary and entertainment merit of short stories to me - I'd never particularly enjoyed them before.

And many many many others I can't bring to mind immediately.

16. I've read a lot of books, and like some who have already responded, I pretty much loved all of them.

If I didn't love a book, I probably wouldn't have read past the first few pages anyways. Or I'd just forget the book. The latter has actually happened a lot, and as I mull over it, I'm starting to remember a ton of lame books I read to avoid cleaning my room.

Wow.

Anyways, here're some of my favourites.

Night Angel Trilogy. I loved the dark themes and characters, the way multiple plotlines were tied together, and how some side characters were just made so greatly badass for the short period of time that they are relevant.

The Emberverse Series. Also known by some as the Novels of the Change. A post-apocalyptic world that mixes the modern world with the medieval, it handled an interesting concept very well. Beloved characters die a ton, plots are vast, and everything is just so great, story-wise.

A Darkness Forged in Fire. This book is part of a series. I haven't read the whole series yet, but so far, I like the first book considerably more than the second. Though the story of course won't be finished in its pages, this first part is just very well executed, and made for a great read.

Tome of the Undergates. Also the first book of a series, I haven't had a chance to read any of the sequels. But the characters in this book are amazing. The book is more about how much the protagonists absolutely hate each other than the actual story, but the story is neat too. The character dynamics are just so much fun to read, and its interspersed with action and intrigue, so an overall good book.

I'm not sure that these are my ultimate favourites—its hard to keep track of just how much I loved a particular book. But these are some of the most significant.

17. One Hundred Years of Solitude is probably the most unique book anyone can ever read. I really do not want to discuss it because every aspect of the book deserves to be enjoyed without spoilers.

18. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fuck the movie.

19. My favourite book of all time is the Map of Time by Felix J Palma. It has an amazing writing tone, which has a whimsical sense, while getting very deeply into various themes. One of which is obviously time travel, but it doesn't go the usual "we can go back in time with some technology that we can't explain to the reader/audience" approach, but rather gets into the mechanics of time travel, specifically how one would travel through time without causing any paradoxes, which is a rather smart approach. The plot line is also amazing, and you get addicted to it really quickly: it involves 3 intertwining stories that all connect to each other through a few characters, one of which is who inspired the book: HG Wells. It's also the only book to have romance that was actually pleasurable to read: it actually delved into the meaning of the bond being formed in those situations. It hit pretty much everything perfectly.

One of my favourite series is the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling. For pretty obvious reasons: sweet symbolism and an awesome writing tone. Another series that is a favourite is the Cirque du Freak series by Darren Shan. The plotline is fairly creative, having to do with vampires, but having a good approach to the lifestyle of vampires, which is very bound around the subject of honour. The characters are all interesting and most of them you can empathize with on some level. (with the exception of Desmond Tiny, but there is very good freaking reason for that. Let's just say that destiny tends not to be kind)

20. That book is so fantastically trippy.

Also; The Laundry Files.

British humor meets Cthulu. James bond meets Harry Dresden. Saving the would one board meeting at a time.

• Like Like x 1