What are your fears or phobias?

What are your fears or phobias?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's actually a much more common fear than people think.
That's pretty interesting. If you don't mind me asking, do you have any possible reasons or causes for your phobia?

I've got a pretty bad fear of public affection, but that might just be due to my lesbianism. My first kiss was behind a couple of bookcases in the back of a bookshop, which sounds romantic and all but mostly I was terrified that some old dude and his wife would walk by and see us.

That's pretty interesting. If you don't mind me asking, do you have any possible reasons or causes for your phobia?
Not that I can specifically pin point -- it's just something that I've had as long as I can remember. It's fairly crippling when it strikes, though. No one likes to throw up, of course, but add in a panic attack on top of feeling sick and it really can be paralyzing. (Anxiety upsets the stomach, which cranks up the phobia, which makes you feel more sick, which makes you more anxious... It's really a vicious cycle.)

The worst part is that vomiting is somewhat inevitable. At some point it will happen. Granted, most emetophobic people have impressive track records for periods between being ill, but it's still just a natural function at the end of the day. The body gets sick, then it does its thing to clean house.

At least with being afraid of heights or wanting to avoid spiders there's some control over the phobia, but not with emetophobia. It's a very frustrating thing to be phobic about.

Not that I can specifically pin point -- it's just something that I've had as long as I can remember. It's fairly crippling when it strikes, though. No one likes to throw up, of course, but add in a panic attack on top of feeling sick and it really can be paralyzing. (Anxiety upsets the stomach, which cranks up the phobia, which makes you feel more sick, which makes you more anxious... It's really a vicious cycle.)

The worst part is that vomiting is somewhat inevitable. At some point it will happen. Granted, most emetophobic people have impressive track records for periods between being ill, but it's still just a natural function at the end of the day. The body gets sick, then it does its thing to clean house.

At least with being afraid of heights or wanting to avoid spiders there's some control over the phobia, but not with emetophobia. It's a very frustrating thing to be phobic about.
Wow, that does sound pretty shitty. Well, when it does happen I hope it's over quickly. :U

uh snakes! duh!

also... i have a fear of being on top of baseless stairs and ladders... theyre dangerous! not afraid of heights.... its just the unsturdy ladders!

guy-on-dangerous-ladder-set-up.jpg

Haha, I'm scared of a lot of things.

Spiders. Heights, if there's nothing between me and the precipice, nothing to assure me I'm safe from falling. Since I had the pleasure of falling down a flight of stairs a while back, I'm also leery of going up and down stairs without holding on to the railing. Flying gives me the creeps if I think about it this way: there's nothing between the giant metal bird in the sky where I'm in and the ground that's a long, long, long way down. Deep water scares me but fascinates me, since there are a lot of fascinating but frightful creatures in the deeps. I'm afraid of loud and sudden noises. Don't sneak up behind me and suddenly yell or something or I will end up hurting either you or me.

Really large crowds scare me. Whenever I'm in open spaces with so many people I feel like just another casualty or statistic. I don't trust all the strangers around me. What if someone wants to kill me and they're watching me while I'm oblivious?

Thunder and lightning can be scary. It's not impossible that lightning would hit someone, it's potentially harmful/fatal.

I'm afraid of failing everything and hurting my parents who work so hard for me and my brother to get a good future. I'm afraid of failing certain people's expectations. I have to live up to those.

And of course, the fear of the unknown, yes? Things that could border on supernatural or unnatural or what-have-you. But they also fascinate me.

People scare me. Just people. How you don't know their intentions, truly, or what they think. What they're capable of doing if pushed hard - or what they're capable of doing, just because they can.

I'm scared of finding out what I myself am capable of should I be pushed hard or lose control, too.

Meh. The world is scary, but what can you do? It's both wonderful and terrifying, but we're alive and we just do what we can do.

Reactions: Mu
  • Spiders. If I see a spider a ruler's length away from me, I will flee. And probably get someone to kill it. I know it's probably more scared of me than I am of it and I'm just stupidly ending the life of this animal but I will not tolerate a spider that close to me. Stay in the corners or something, please.
  • Heights. I get dizzy and I feel like I'm going to trip or fall over to my doom. I don't mind planes, though, I quite like it when it's up in the clouds, but if I'm looking outside while we're flying off or landing, I can't.
  • Sharp things, specifically needles. This comes from injections, I guess. In China it's absolutely horrible, it's like they enjoy watching you suffer and take forever to insert the goddamn thing in and pull out. In Australia, it's done in like, a second. All I have to do is just not look at it, but yeah, still scared.

Man, what is it with spiders?

I used to eat spiders to gain their power. You all should try that.

• A Fear of Pain
I hate pain, a lot. The idea of doing something that will result in pain always has me tense.
By extension this also leads to a fear of Bee's, because if they sting it hurts like crazy.

There's an exception to the Pain rule though, if someone else's safety is on the line.
If I feel someone else's safety and well-being is in danger then this fear takes a back seat and I end up taking some really stupid/reckless risks myself in an attempt to prevent the other person from being in danger.
  • A Fear of Failure
I hate failing things.
This probably stems from the fact that I never failed a single class for all of elementary and high school.
So I grew accommodated/used to success, so when I do fail at something it makes me feel like I really messed up somewhere.

This didn't help where during my 2nd year of college I had ended up failing my second placement, which through a chain effect of course pre-requisites, course availability etc ended up delaying my graduation by over a year (still haven't graduated, it's this semester I'm now dealing with the last two classes in the program).
  • A Fear of being eaten
I don't know what the cause of this one is, but the idea of dying by being eaten alive terrifies me.
I'm thinking it's the point of helplessness/reduction to meat that makes me fear such a thing.

However, that reasoning would also define rape, and although I would never want to be raped (like most people) that's not something I have a insanely deep fear/phobia of.
So there's something extra going on with the eaten alive bit that I'm still trying to figure out.

Last edited:
Hospital. Loss of limb. Possible death if left untreated. All of that was made possible by the bite of ONE of those leggy bastards. If I had waited to go the ER four hours later, I'd have lost my leg at the knee. Six hours, I would have lost my leg at the hip. Can't speak for anybody else, but this is where my fear stems from. As it was, I was wrapped in bubble wrap, with an IV and bound to a bed for 8 days. Because of one spider bite.
And have you seen those things move. They're like little wretched demons climbing into your home contaminating everything in sight. Like, I don't know about you but once I see any of those abominations my first thought is, "Yeah, you're going to effing die."

Man, what is it with spiders?

I used to eat spiders to gain their power. You all should try that.
Whoa. Thank you. I... feel so alive now. Can't believe that worked. My mom is gonna be sooooo scared.

On a side note, is this about phobias or just general fears that make your spine shiver? I don't know if I have anything that I really can't overcome psychologically to be honest. Lots of "ews" for spiders and snakes - in fact, I'll freak the hell out like a little girl if I see one on my hand or foot - but I wouldn't say my fear is a phobia. It's just a strong discomfort around them because they aren't familiar to me...

Huh. That's one to think on. :o

On a side note, is this about phobias or just general fears that make your spine shiver? I don't know if I have anything that I really can't overcome psychologically to be honest. Lots of "ews" for spiders and snakes - in fact, I'll freak the hell out like a little girl if I see one on my hand or foot - but I wouldn't say my fear is a phobia. It's just a strong discomfort around them because they aren't familiar to me...

Huh. That's one to think on. :o
It does say "Fears or Phobias" so simply listing fears works too.

Good point... I think the list is a bit long then, for me. Not that I'm a wimp, but I certainly am a cautious fellow and I don't care for ignorance. Like I don't know much about spiders, therefore I assume (though I know it's false) that they're all dangerous. And they all must die. Damn arachno-infidels... arachno-terrorists

Alright, a big fear I just got as of late. . . is the fear of feet >< They are gross, unattractive and I don't want them touching me or near me! Dirty socks also lump in with this. Even if feet are covered by socks, keep them away. It's so bad, that I'll cry, hyperventilate and all that fun stuff. My one friend thought I was just playing around (cause clearly my freak out are oh so funny) and she put her feet on my face! I showered for the next two hours and still wasn't okay >>

I also don't like spiders, getting in trouble, and failure. That's pretty much all I can think of at the moment.

Fear of the far open ocean, and fear of being a horrible father.

4th of July was terrifying to me. We got so close to the fireworks that I could see the people lighting them. Loud noises scare me so bad that I go into a fit of panic and cannot calm myself.

Fear of darkness; I am scared of going blind though it is a possibility in my future. I can't stand not seeing my hand in front of my face, nor the feeling of complete darkness.

Flying; fuck flyuing.

Heights
Open water/water/drowning
Anger/violence (anger/violence directed at me, justified or not)
Everything that makes social anxiety
Loud noises
Aggressive animals (particularly dogs and horses)
Being electrocuted
Insects in large masses
Wasps
Failure

That's all I can think off the top of my head. All of these come from incidents from my childhood, though some are the result of shitty parenting.

Anger, loud noises and fear of failure in particular come from my father. If you did anything wrong, doesn't matter how tiny, he'd explode and become violent, occasionally to the point of physical violence. I never took the blunt of it, but it still fucked me up so to the point I can't handle being in the same room as somebody if I think they're angry or about to be. I'll go from cool to panic attack in roughly six seconds. Same goes if somebody is yelling, or I think I've failed something.

Wasps, never been stung, but they're the work of Satan. Ain't seen nobody vacate a room faster than me if there's a wasp in it.

Water, heights, and electrocution speaks for themselves, pretty much.

Status
Not open for further replies.