Wayfinder Academy of Adventurous Arts

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
My internet has been acting wonky...don't know if it's going to be reliable, just so everyone knows in case it goes down.

Oh shoot, I forgot about all that! I thought we were just in a posting lull! D: /panics

*steps in and waves* Hi I just got back from party/babysitting/vacation/other dumb distractions week.

Eventually, yeah. One of the hardest choices in the game come after your skills. Feats.

Real quick, are we going to be experiencing enough nature for Survival to be relevant?

Alright, I'm gonna need someone to walk me through this real slow.
Who here knows what they're doing?

The game will take you through a variety of environments, and all skills will be useful at one point or another.

Okay! So we're doing skills. This is actually the part where I normally lose a few players, as skill points are a different sort of system. From your chosen ability scores earlier, Mirella's 'modifiers' look like this:

Str: 7 | -2
Dex: 11 | +0
Con: 11 | +0
Int: 14 | +2
Wis: 14 | +2
Cha: 18 | +4

The 'modifier' is what you add to things linked to that ability score, like skills. Now, the Sorcerer class skills...

Appraise (Int): Determine the value of a common item. Can also be used to bargain with shopkeepers.
Bluff (Cha: Lying to others, sending false messages, speaking in code.
Craft (Int): Creating things. You'd have to put points in multiple craft skills, specifying a different craft each time (armorsmithing, woodworking, etc).
Fly (Dex): The ability to direct yourself while flying. You need the ability to fly, first.
Intimidate (Cha): Demoralizing opponents and getting what you want through threats.
Knowledge (arcana) (Int): This knowledge skill allows you to know about magical history and some creatures.
Profession (Wis): A skill for jobs - like craft, you have to specify.
Spellcraft (Int): The skill used to identify spells that are being cast, or knowing which magical effects are in play.
Use Magic Device (Cha): Using magical items outside what your class would normally use. In your case, you'd have to roll on it to successfully use a scroll to heal.

Now, we get to the real meat of it. Every level, you'll get points to put into your skills. A Sorcerer gets 2 + their Intelligence modifier in skill points. In Mirella's case, that's 4: she gets 2 right away, plus the 2 points from her high intelligence. LOW intelligence does, in fact, remove the amount of skill points you get per level, to a minimum of 1.
You would then use those points on your skills. Adding them to class skills gives you a +3 bonus to it. So if Mirella wanted to point a single point (the maximum at this level) in her Spellcraft, it would look like this:

Spellcraft (Int): +6 | 2 | 1 | 3

She would get 2 from her intelligence score, the point she placed into the skill, and an extra 3 because it's a class skill. The total is '6', which is what she's adding to her dice rolls for Spellcraft.

Hope this helps!

So you don't actually have access to a skill until you put points into it, but then it's possible to rapidly become good at it?
And why does the Myth Weavers sheet say my Rank 1 Spellcasting is now +7?
-Edit- Oh, should we not have calculated the racial effects on our stats yet? Whoops.

Besides that, this whole thing is actually starting to make sense! Thanks, Sir Frost!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some skills can be used 'untrained', but certain (like Knowledge skills), cannot.

The racial effects should have been added, yes. :3

Posted up my skills, not sure how you wanted them to look Frost so I just tossed them up there.

...and how many skills can we put ranks into right now?

And when are we addressing Traits and Feats? (and how many feats will we start with?)

. . .
And why does Mirella only get to pout in her room for, on average, about two minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.