Water conservation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Multiple people here have mentioned showering until it's cold.
Why the hell am I only one being responded to with this as if I'm some sort of villain? o.O

Like seriously people, I get it.
The environment is important, if you want to stress the importance of conserving stuff I'm right behind you.
But if you are going do that:
  1. Don't treat it as a moral crusade of the righteous VS the selfish sinners. That shit's obnoxious, infuriating and it only drives people away.
  2. Actually acknowledge all the people doing it. Don't randomly set your sights on one person specifically.

Our family showers at different times of the day, so it's almost always refilled for the next person.

Plus in the off chance someone else does need to shower, we have 2 of them.
In that case they have access to the same hot water I do.

Now I get the environmental stuff (hence why I'm not bothering to quote any of it, there's nothing to argue).
But no one's being left waiting over this.

Except I'm not living in California.

Once again, I get the environmental concerns.

But Ontario (or at least my part) is fairing better.
So talking in a hypothetical of be being in X location is pointless, because it's hypothetical.

It'd be like me looking at your diet and then going "If you were in Africa you would be contributing to the starvation of children".
It makes zero sense, and there's no need for me to attack you in such a way since from where you do live no one is being harmed like that.

Except the main thing about water is that it *is* renewable.
It's not like I use this water and it's never used again. It will make it way back and be used elsewhere later after being re-filtered.

Now, I get that renewable =/= infinite.
So as we grow in population there's only going to be so much water to go around (and destroying ocean life is not a proper solution).
And I get that re-filtering the water costs power.
But by no means will excessive use of water mean it's no longer going to be there.

It might be more strained, and when my area hits such a state then I'll make a stronger attempt to watch my usage because then it actually is a need for a better society.
But it's not like I'm the only one ever using this water.

The water you wash with goes back down the pipes.
The water you drink you piss back out.

It all goes back to the earth's collection of water to be used another time.

You want to discuss conserving it because as population grows each of us will only have? Fine, that's sharing a set amount of water among a certain number of people.
Want to discuss the heating bills and how it costs a lot of money? Fine, that does impact bills quite a lot.
Want to discuss that heating it costs power, which given our current power sources is not good for the environment. Fine, the planet is important.

But suggesting a reusable resource is going to vanish by being used?
That's not only a low blow, but it's a false blow too.
There's the same amount of water on Earth now as there was millions of years ago, that point isn't in contention.

My point about clean water not always being around forever is because the more pollution increases and water tables and sources aren't protected, it's possible to deplete groundwater sources and make surface water pretty much untreatable to the point of being rendered non-potable. It's not unlike air quality; there's always going to be air, but if we aren't careful with our industry, we can all end up like Bejing where cardiovascular issues are the norm because the smog is super thick.

I work in the industry, and I have to deal with a lot of ignorance about water from entire communities, so if I'm being sharp tongued it's because honestly, it's the only way it sinks in people's head's that you have to be mindful of your habits, because while one household isn't going to make a spitball of difference, the accumulated effects of several households can make all the difference in the world. It's also expensive to treat water, so the more pollution or strain on a water source means the larger and more complicated the facilities have to be, often necessitating upgrades, and in extreme cases, finding entirely new water sources. Ontario's lucky because it's surrounded by the Great Lakes and has numerous smaller ones to draw from that can support the population, but in a lot of places, including the Great Lakes, the water level in the lakes is dropping, both from the climate, destruction of wetlands, and overuse. As well, if treatment processes aren't done properly, a lot of the effluent leaving wastewater facilities increases the nutrient loads on lakes, which cause algae blooms, which kill fish and choke out other life in the lakes. Ecosystems are incredibly fragile things, and overuse and improper conservation practices are huge contributors to strain on the water resources. If you don't think that 12 million people, nearly one third of the population of the country and a huge percentage of it's industrial base, in South Ontario isn't causing a large strain on the fresh water sources, think again. The Great Lakes are literally disappearing. And it's not just Ontario, it's all the Northeast American states, as well.

So sure, you aren't in California, but you're helping contribute to a looming catastrophe in your own backyard without even being aware it's happening, and Ontario doesn't have a 3-year drought as an excuse.

As for targeting you, it was because you were the first person to use specific examples of knowing waste, and I was explaining how much was actually being wasted, which applies to anybody reading it. Look, I know it sucks being called out on bad habits (lord knows I have my fair share), but seriously, I can't stress enough that every single person's habits can make a difference, and people really need to understand that just because it reliably comes out of the tap doesn't mean there's a lot of it to go around. Unless society and industry as a whole gets their heads out of their asses, there's going to be huge water shortages, which will lead to increased costs, some communities shutting down, crop failures, and massive hits to the economy since you can't use the water systems anymore for shipping.

So no, it's not just you. It's a lot of people, and that's the problem. Most people aren't even aware there's a problem or where their water comes from or where it goes and consume it at exponential rates while the population starts to boom.

Last edited:
Multiple people here have mentioned showering until it's cold.
Why the hell am I only one being responded to with this as if I'm some sort of villain? o.O
I think it had more to do with the fact that you straight-up said that you weren't even trying to conserve water, saying that you "didn't think it was an issue". Dervish not only explained to you why it is an issue, but I can also see why he might be a bit harsh in his reply since you seemed to not only have a somewhat dismissive and not-caring attitude but also specifically listed ways you waste water, which I don't think anyone else did.

Also, I'm pretty sure the only one here who specifically admitted to showering until it runs cold was me, and I already said that I know it wastes water and I wish I didn't take such long showers. Which is definitely different from saying "yeah I shower till it runs cold and I know it wastes water, but I never really cared since it's not an issue".

Not that I'm really trying to vilify you, either (so my apologies if I also sounded harsh) -- just explaining why I'm not surprised that Dervish responded the way he did.

I think it had more to do with the fact that you straight-up said that you weren't even trying to conserve water, saying that you "didn't think it was an issue". Dervish not only explained to you why it is an issue, but I can also see why he might be a bit harsh in his reply since you seemed to not only have a somewhat dismissive and not-caring attitude but also specifically listed ways you waste water, which I don't think anyone else did.

Also, I'm pretty sure the only one here who specifically admitted to showering until it runs cold was me, and I already said that I know it wastes water and I wish I didn't take such long showers. Which is definitely different from saying "yeah I shower till it runs cold and I know it wastes water, but I never really cared since it's not an issue".

Not that I'm really trying to vilify you, either (so my apologies if I also sounded harsh) -- just explaining why I'm not surprised that Dervish responded the way he did.
Explained it far better than I ever could, that's exactly it. Thanks, Kaga. <3

Actually, Toronto did have problems with water. Multiple times in the late 90's / early 2000's we had many city bulletins issued to not water lawns.

Actually, Toronto did have problems with water. Multiple times in the late 90's / early 2000's we had many city bulletins issued to not water lawns.
Municipal water bans are pretty commonplace during heat waves, regardless of where you are. Even up in Bradford the last few years it was pretty much a rare unicorn for a ban to be lifted during the summer.

Once again, not responding to the nature/environmental stuff, because there's nothing there for me to argue.

Me not giving it a reply isn't me going "I'm ignoring this" but rather me going "Yea, I can't really argue with that. Good Point".
As for targeting you, it was because you were the first person to use specific examples of knowing waste.
So, it was the fact I actually bothered detailing specifics rather going "I'm wasteful" generally that caused it?
Even when I specifically stated it was from habit and not from anything concious?:
conserving and wasteful acts I find myself doing just out of habit.
I'm all for trying to help the planet.
But if the method people using to solve this are "Only go after the people who have some self-awareness" and/or "Only go after people who tend to go into detail when they talk"?

That in all honesty is a very confusing/questionable tactic.

Which has me think (especially since Dervish is a rather intelligent and decent person) it was mainly the "Somewhat dismissive and not-caring attitude" impression people had that provoked the hostility.

In which case clarifying should probably be done.

I do care about the environment, that "Uncaring" attitude people received was not wilful ignorance to the planets issues. I didn't even think something as simple as using water would hurt the Planet since as I detailed before, it's a renewable resource. The stuff Dervish then went on to detail wasn't even stuff I had considered.

If anything I was just uncaring towards the water bill. But my family is currently rather well off, bills have never been a problem. So something like water bills aren't something I'm concerned about, because it's a non-problem for my household. If we were in different economic situations that would be different mind you.
Look, I know it sucks being called out on bad habits
It wasn't the "Being called out on doing something wrong" I care about.
I'm rather grateful about that part honestly.

The part I took issue with was the hostility and the fact it seemed very focused, even when other's had already expressed the same as me, granted in less detail.

We removed the back lawn and made it all cement.

Water conserved like a mofo

Once again, not responding to the nature/environmental stuff, because there's nothing there for me to argue.

Me not giving it a reply isn't me going "I'm ignoring this" but rather me going "Yea, I can't really argue with that. Good Point".

So, it was the fact I actually bothered detailing specifics rather going "I'm wasteful" generally that caused it?
Even when I specifically stated it was from habit and not from anything concious?:

I'm all for trying to help the planet.
But if the method people using to solve this are "Only go after the people who have some self-awareness" and/or "Only go after people who tend to go into detail when they talk"?

That in all honesty is a very confusing/questionable tactic.

Which has me think (especially since Dervish is a rather intelligent and decent person) it was mainly the "Somewhat dismissive and not-caring attitude" impression people had that provoked the hostility.

In which case clarifying should probably be done.

I do care about the environment, that "Uncaring" attitude people received was not wilful ignorance to the planets issues. I didn't even think something as simple as using water would hurt the Planet since as I detailed before, it's a renewable resource. The stuff Dervish then went on to detail wasn't even stuff I had considered.

If anything I was just uncaring towards the water bill. But my family is currently rather well off, bills have never been a problem. So something like water bills aren't something I'm concerned about, because it's a non-problem for my household. If we were in different economic situations that would be different mind you.

It wasn't the "Being called out on doing something wrong" I care about.
I'm rather grateful about that part honestly.

The part I took issue with was the hostility and the fact it seemed very focused, even when other's had already expressed the same as me, granted in less detail.
If it makes you feel any better, I wrote all of that at 5:45 in the morning when my dog woke me up and yours happened to be the first c'est la vie post I saw. If it were literally anybody else making the claims, it would have been them getting the reply, custom tailored to them.

So know I'm not to get you in particular and give everyone else a hall pass, it's mainly that you were the only one who posted something like that at that point and posting on my cellphone is silly business.

You're fine, I just hope it gave you a bit of a realization, and know that it wasn't really a personal crusade against you in particular, and I wasn't trying to be offensive with it, so I am sorry it got under your skin and made you feel singled out. Wasn't my intent, even if that was effect.

• Thank You
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
His garden was flourishing and we had enough bell peppers, green beans, squash, etc to give away to the neighbors.
But all those neighbours were gross water-wasting cunts, so she was only feeding the cycle.

*closes The Tragedee of Lady Lilac as children start crying in the bookstore*

:|

This thread reminds me of how much water is wasted while on the job.

• Fill three mop buckets with clean water and a 32 gallon drum.
  • Add chemical solvent to 30 gallons of crystal clear water.
  • POUR IT ON THE FLOOR
  • It turns solid wax into a liquid.
  • Vacuum it up with a wet vac.
  • Mop the floor three times with clean water.
  • Do this for two months every summer.

But all those neighbours were gross water-wasting cunts, so she was only feeding the cycle.

*closes The Tragedee of Lady Lilac as children start crying in the bookstore*

:|
You are a terrible Narrator ;.;

I live in Quebec where water is free. But I do take shorter, colder showers and use ice more often. Im going to use some if these tips to be a better person! But, anyways, move to Canada, we have free water.

I don't think that's how it works...

I live in Quebec where water is free. But I do take shorter, colder showers and use ice more often. Im going to use some if these tips to be a better person! But, anyways, move to Canada, we have free water.
If you think water's free, ask your parents if you can pay the water bill for the next year.

Also, read the entire thread, including my post where I explained that the Great Lakes are literally disappearing and 40 million people in Ontario, Quebec, and the Northeastern United States are at risk of losing their water supply at the top of this page.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT, QUEBEC DOESN'T USE WATER METERS?!

Are you fucking kidding me?!

As if I needed another reason to loathe the Quebec government.

Seriously, fuck that province from orbit. That is criminally irresponsible.

I know, we're doomed. And I'm 20, dude, I live near a dam

I know, we're doomed. And I'm 20, dude, I live near a dam
You should go take over Quebec's government and show them how it's done. I'm pretty sure a 20 year old could do wonders compared to the clowns they tend to keep electing. >_>

Like Mr Couillon

Seriously, fuck that province from orbit. That is criminally irresponsible.
Best part is if they do institute water meters, the local government will probably bitch to the federal government for money to do it. That, or they'll attempt to institute it, and Québecois youth will lose their shit for the upteenth billionth time. Because it'll probably come out of tax money, or they'll complain that it will cost them more money.

As for my water usage, I don't spend more than ten minutes in a shower and I hand wash all of my dishes. My water bills are non-existent. I pay more for coke cola and potato chips each week than I do in water bills. My last utilities bill was only about 60 dollars. :ferret:

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: LunaValentine
You know....I don't pay for water either...I live with my parents but I've never even SEEN a water bill. We have a well dug on our property but I do try not to use too much water....

The Quebecker teens/young adults (14-19 year olds) are so annoying and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.