Under the Windy City (Demaryu & Wooseog)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wooseog Ryu

Edgepeasant
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. One post per day
Online Availability
It varies day to day!
Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Modern, Medieval, Odd Pairings
It was one-thirty on a chilly Chicago afternoon, and Coffee Alley was filled to the brim with customers seeking out some warmth from the winter weather. The barista was wiping beads of sweat off her forehead, but the teenaged cashier, Chad, was wearing the largest smile you'd ever seen, full of giddy greetings and "good mornings!" For at the back of the line, he saw his favorite customer. Tuesday and Thursday afternoon, he could set his watch to her arrival now, so much show that he asked to work these shifts specifically.

Of course, Chad was struck by her appearance first of all. The customer was a few years older than him, but her doe-eyed complexion almost made Chad think he had a chance with her. An elegant wisp of a woman, it seemed like she spent hours braiding her hair each morning, but that would be worth it. Her natural deep red hair had every strand in place, cascading under a waterfall braid that stopped just short of her bodice. She always wore a dress as well, and more often than not she was clad entirely in pink. But if it was her looks that captivated her, it was the way she spoke that put him in a daze.

"Good afternoon, Chaddy!" The girl greeted him with her elbows propped up on the counter. Chad had been daydreaming so much he might have missed it, but her voice pulled him right back. She spoke with a nasally sort of southern charm that he couldn't identify, but it made him stutter when he responded to her.

"Oh, h-hey! It's great to see you Dahlia," Chad said bashfully, getting a waft of her sickly sweet perfume and grinning. "Your usual, I assume? Chai tea latte, right?" He asked, already getting her cup ready.

"Am I that predictable already? You think I should switch it up sometime Chaddy?" Dahlia asked, handing him a wrinkled twenty with an apologetic scrunched face smile.

Chaddy, it made his heart melt.

"Not if you like it! Everybody needs some sort of signature, hey?" Chad retorted, passing her cup off to a quizzical looking barista, while the customer behind Dahlia tapped his foot. "It will be ready in a second Dollie, thanks for coming!"

"No darling, thank you!" With that, Dahlia squeezed his hand gently from across the counter before shuffling over to wait for her latte. Her drink arrived with the name "Dollie," and a little, winking smiley face that made Dahlia grin, if only the boy were ten years older. With a quick thanks to the barista, Dahlia found one of the last tables for two in the house. She would be waiting for an hour now, so she brought along a copy of The Sea Wolf by Jack London to pass the time.

It was almost a month now, she almost had to stop going out of her way to get here every Tuesday and Thursday. But for now, she needed to keep her eye out for Buddy Jenkins.
----

"Defense: And at the time of Mr. Vendrel'ls murder you were working as a prostitute for this event, correct?

OMITTED: I prefer the term 'courtesan,' Mr. Jenkins but yes, and I hope you don't intend to be cruel based on that. I was paid to be therefor the night by Mr. Vendrell. I got there at nine o'clock and the shot was fired at twelve twenty-seven that morning. Mr. Pollard held the smoking gun. The police showed up afterwards but before they did… Mr. Pollard said he would kill me, Mr. Jenkins… I don't want him to kill me…"

The transcript went on for a few more pages, it had largely been forgotten about, and one Robert Pollard was walking free because of it. It was mishandled, and the witness was missing because of it. Buddy Jenkins was the lawyer who conducted the interview, the transcript stayed in his office, but now the office no longer belonged to Buddy.

The police had checked for any sign of a struggle but as far as anyone could tell, Buddy had just up and left, taking only a few personal items and a photo of him and his partner. His old boss was looking through his abandoned cases now; they would have to get new people on all of them. A curious folder caught his eye, marked "Pollard, R." As he leafed through it, the witness testimony stood out, because there was no identification.

"This is going to be a headache if I've ever seen one." He muttered to himself, scooping up the rest of the files and flicking off the abandoned office lights. The pile of folders was left on his secretary's desk to be redistributed. Whatever Buddy had done, it was somebody else's headache now.

The piercing shriek of the alarm echoed through the darkness, ringing constantly until Devante rolled over hitting the snooze button absently. It was 4 am on Tuesday He knew if he didn't get up get ready for work now he would oversleep and be late. Lifting his black comforter off himself Devante slowly rolled out of bed and walked to the bathroom. He entered the bathroom and shut the door behind him, turning on the shower he began brushing his teeth. Looking in the mirror he studied his face for any morning scruff. He had a very light brown complexion with brown hair cut low in a fade. After surveying his face for a few moments he nodded his head in satisfaction as he took off his white tank top and hopped into the shower.

His shower lasted no longer than ten minutes before he exited and dried off. A neatly ironed black suit with white dress shirt hung on a hook on the back of the bathroom door with the matching shoes under the towel rack. He quickly dressed and sprayed to shots of Pollo Black cologne on leaving the bathroom feeling wide awake. He moved through his one bedroom apartment to the door grabbing his keys and black briefcase that had his initials in used to bind the briefcase together. He looked at the case with a solemn gaze thinking of the now deceased father who had gifted it to him when he graduated from Harvard. Letting out a sigh he opened his Apartment door into the hallway of the Marina City beginning his morning trek to work.

Devante stepped out of the apartment building just as the valet pulled around his dark gray Honda civic to the front of the building, located at 300 north states street. " Mornin mister Jones," came the voice of the young attendant handing him his keys. "Morning James. You stayin out of trouble I hope?" Devante replied as he took the keys handing young black teen a five dollar bill, " As much as I can in that neighborhood.' James said with a grin as their usually morning interaction concluded. After adjusting his review mirror Devante pulled into the morning traffic on his way to the Barnes and Thornburg LLP law firm. At 29 years old he was the firm's rising star, starting out their at 23. Devante worked criminal cases that most lawyers would run screaming in frustration from with much success.

Parking his care a few blocks down from his job and walked the rest of the way in the chilling Chicago morning. He arrived promptly at six am as always and went through the lobby towards the elevator. He sent a morning wave to the receptionist along with the usual smile as he passed her which she returned with a nod. He entered the elevator and exited on the 28 floor, making a beeline for his office to see what the day would hold for him. Setting down his briefcase next to his desk, he sat down and say a thin folder with the name of Robert Pollard on it. Looks like the firm needed another miracle job, he thought letting out a sigh while beginning to read the case file.

By the time Devante had finished ready the case file he had his hand against his temples rubbing them in frustration. It was a murder case that was mishandled greatly. He wished to give the previous lawyer a swift kick in the rear whoever Bubby Jenkins was not being familiar with that an employee with that name at the firm. Picking up the phone he dialed text. 325 for his boss Tim Hardy, " Hey Tim you can't be serious with this." He said I a mild tone when he heard the phone pick up. On the other line he heard the older gentleman let out a sigh, " I was expecting your call and I am afraid so. This is a high profile case that needs to be built from the ground up. My contacts in at the police want to nail this guy and good so make this case your top priority." Tim said in a taunt tone that left no room for back talk.

This case was looking to be an even bigger hassle than Devante had first thought, to even put the old geezer in a bad mood this must be something big. " Ok sir I will do my best," was really all he could say realizing he wouldn't be able to argue this one away, " You always do." was Tim's reply. For the next few hours, Devante sat in his office reading the case file over and over again while he had his secretary dig up all the news articles about the incident. It was around noon before he leaned back in his seat setting the newspapers down. He wasn't making much progress, which he expected and sat back in his seat looking at the ceiling. Needing a break he loaded up his briefcase with a few articles and the case file and made to leave.

Arriving shortly after 12 pm at Coffee alley he waited in line to get some much-needed coffee and see if a change in environment would help him see anything new while rereading the case. He waited patiently until he reached the front, " The same grande mocha with skim milk and an extra shot of expresso right Mr. Jomes?'" came Chad's voice once he was in front of the register. " You know me too well Kid." Devante replied as they two exchange a brief but well-rehearsed handshake. " Its why they pay me the big bucks." He said jokingly as he slid his hand in his pocket letting go of the ten dollar bill that he received during the handshake. The barista shouted out for old man once his drink was ready he looked towards chad with a wry smile as he just shrugged at him with a smile.

Making way to his usually spot he saw a young woman there sitting down enjoying a book. Being a man who followed a set routine he didn't want to change up were he was going to sit so he made his way towards the other seat. He sat down with his drink in the seat opposite of the woman and proceeded to pay her no mind at all as he opened his briefcase and started to read through the articles while occasionally taking sips of his coffee.

It was strange, Dahlia always began to zone out the moment she laid her eyes on a book. Her mind was busy conjuring new environments, the walls of the coffee shop melted away and she was sitting on the schooner with the gruff captain, Wolf Larsen, barking orders at her. Today was no different, normally she would have Chad reheat her drink about a half-hour after arriving, (he was always happy to.) However at todays half-hour mark, she was joined by a face she hadn't yet seen. Perhaps she had taken his seat?

When this stranger sat down, Dahlia was initially skeptical. This man was certainly no Buddy Jenkins, unless he had grown a head of brown hair and lost a quarter of his weight. Her eyes were drawn to the briefcase though, and the suit; this man certainly had all the makings of a lawyer. She tried to make her glances brief though, but that was enough to pull her out of the fictional world she had been inhabiting.

If there was one thing Dahlia had never been, it was shy. When she eventually decided she was too distracted to get any reading done, Dahlia placed the kitten-themed bookmark against the spine and shut The Sea Wolf for the day, she could always read later. Before she decided to speak up though, Dahlia turned her cup away from the man, so he wouldn't see the childish name "Dollie" written on her cup.

"Well hello there." Dahlia greeted him with the warmest of smiles, it's the least she could do. If he was here in lieu of Buddy, he would probably recognize her, and if he wasn't, maybe she'd make a new friend? She hadn't many friends, when living a lie became equally as painful as telling the truth, she became somewhat of a recluse. She tried to tell herself she was Dahlia first, and a "courtesan" second, but not even she believed that. She tried to take a peek at the article he was skimming, but couldn't do it for discreteness' sake.

"You look positively swamped with work right now, huh? I decided what better time to interrupt you with smalltalk!" Dahlia tried to get a read on him before her eyes fell to his briefcase once more. "Mister D.J. Is it?" She asked coyly, looking up from the briefcase and meeting his eyes with a squinting grin. After another sip of her lukewarm latté, Dahlia gingerly offered her hand to shake.

"Dahlia Jayne Harper. It is my absolute pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Devante sat with a furrowed brow as the articles proved as helpful as the report that Buddy Jenkins had left him, which was not at all. He had been reading the same article over and over again to see if he had missed anything or find a different way to view but kept coming up with nothing new. After only having the case for barley half a day it was already starting to give him a headache. If I pull this off there better be a partnership with a raised behind it, he mused knowing that he wouldn't see such a thing. after taking anther sip he pulled out another news article from a different paper and dove back into the investigation.

To no surprise there was little to nothing new in the article as he reached half way through his attention was stolen by the sound of a young woman with a noticeable southern accent. Devante glanced up from the paper and fully took in the sight of the woman sitting across from him. He would be a fool tho think that she wasn't the least bit attractive everything about her would pull a man's eye to her. Though he could do without all the pink in her clothing choice he thought after quickly looking her over.

"Hello Miss Harper" he replied grasping her hand in his rough hand with a firm handshake. "Devante Jones and the pleasure is all mine" his words came out smooth and well pronounced after years of being a lawyer he got ride of his rough way of speaking he had growing up. At times he would still slip back to the young teen who grew up in the rough parts of Chicago. " I wasn't making much progress anyway." putting the articles away he turned his attention back to her. " I will consider this a much needed break from my mundane reading." Sitting back in his chair he crossed his leg over the other and leaned back to get a bit more comfortable.

" Now Dahlia Harper it seems I have struck your curiosity so feel free to ask anything you want. I will answer every one of your questions till you are satisfied." In truth, she had sparked his interest as well. She seemed to have a bright and chipper attitude, many of his colleagues would argue that is one thing that Mr. Jones sorely lack That thought alone was the enough to cause Devante to chuckle a bit. After saying what he felt was a good opener her wondered where this conversation would lead.

Dahlia met Devante's handshake with a rather gentle one of her own, stopping just short of letting her hand hang there like a limp noodle. The idea of being called "Miss Harper" made her need to chuckle, and made her cheeks turn rosier. It sounded very professional, as if she'd have a business card and everything, she liked the sound of it. "Devante Jones." Dahlia repeated his name once to get a feel for it, now this man was professional. It didn't seem like this Mister Jones was the man Dahlia was waiting for either, so she began to let her guard down the slightest bit. He didn't seem bothered by the interruption either, she placed her book face down on the table and shuffled her chair to better face him.

"Everybody needs an interlude now and again." Dahlia suggested, even though they were on different boats with their reading material. "I'm delighted to join you for your interlude, Mister Jones. I guess you weren't enthralled by any epic fantasies in your readings huh?" She asked, briefly motioning with her eyes towards his paperwork. She wanted to guess that he probably was a lawyer, given their proximity to the courts and myriad law offices, but Dahlia one was never the first to bring work into a conversation. She had her "cover story," she was a secretary at a dental office as far as anyone had to know. She had a friend who ran the office, knowing her situation, he agreed to cover for her if the need arose.

"Every single one of my questions? I like it, you don't play by Genie rules. Okay. Awesome. What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object, I've always been rather curious," Dahlia asked him straight-faced, but only holding it for a moment before she cracked a grin. "Okay but really. Good to meetcha, are you from around here Mister Jones? You look like someone who has their feet on the ground, that can be tough in the big city," she said.

"I haven't seen you around before, but I guess I don't really come downtown too often, just to visit my sister," Dahlia mused, which was partially true. After an hour of waiting for Buddy she always stopped by to visit her sister, it was hard making time to see her. "This is a nice little hole in the all sort of place though, a good place to get some reading done." She drummed her fingers against her book absently while she looked at him. "Do you come here often, Mister Jones?"

"No, I would have to say the epic of legal litigation and research makes for a rather boring fantasy read," Devante said thinking how comical a book would be if it was set in a mid evil fantasy courtroom. His mind started to wander as thinking about titles for such a book such as The Wizard lawyer and the case of the missing dragon teeth. After feeling rather amused by such a notion her heard Dahlia's question, " Well that would really come down to..." he began until he saw the grin spread across her face. I must be getting old if that one got me he thought while taking another swig from his coffee. Devante felt slight embarrassment from the interaction as he was fully prepared to answer her question.

"I am a born and raised Chicago native. If by near here you mean the coffee shop then yeah I don't stay too far." He said thinking of how he was only about fifteen t o twenty minutes away from the coffee shop that he tended to frequents. " You can say that again. It has been quite the ride to finally be able to have a stable foothold in this city." said while a flash of memories of growing up in Fuller park play out across his mind. " It really has been quite the ride," he says in a low voice almost as if to himself.

" Miss harper I am a man of habits which I rarely break and this place so happens to be part of them. If you haven't seen me then the books you read must really take you somewhere else." He jokingly said as he saw her drum on her book thinking back to how soft and gentle her hand had felt in his. " I tend to come here once a day ordering the same thing and sit in the same spot without fail" he said while eyeing her spot in mock anger. "Imagine my surprise when I find a beautiful woman sitting in my seat when I arrived. I was outraged" He said jokingly.

The beeping off his wrist watch signaled the end of Devante's time out. " Well, it seems that the buzzer has run and your out of time Miss Harper. " He said with a smile. It was rare for a woman to grab him the way she did and he found himself wanting to see her a bit more. Since he wasn't one to leave things to chance he made up his mind to give her his number. Devante pulled one of his business cards from his interior breast pocket and wrote his cell number on the back. "If you would like to continue our game of questions and answers feel free to reach out to me and we could follow up this meeting with a meal." he said as he gave her the card and stood up. He grabbed his briefcase and turned toward Dahlia make the gesture of tipping a hat he bid her a good day and headed out off the door of the coffee shop.

Dahlia had been right, he was a lawyer of sorts. She couldn't say she was well versed in the word of the law, she had always managed to stay out of trouble. "Legal litigation you say? Well it can't be too boring now can it? You work your way through the body of the law like a secret agent, undeterred from the truth, from justice. Devante Jones, Esquire. It has a nice ring to it. I'd buy the book." Dahlia said, reclining in the stiff wooden chair, hoping she had made the doldrums of his work life slightly less mundane. Her day was made less mundane by the fact he was about to answer her silly little question, she giggled behind her hand and passed him a playful wink when he caught on to her joke.

"Chicago born and bred myself!" Dahlia said eagerly, dispelling the idea that her accent was anything more than an interesting way of speaking. "It must be nice to live in the heart of it all. I'm lucky to be a short bus ride away," She boasted, a little embarrassed she didn't have a car for herself yet. She watched him as he became pensive thinking of his trip through life so far; everybody had a cross to bear, she knew so little about this man but she felt some sort of connection, it was bizarre. "Well if it helps, you look quite established right now." Dahlia said it, and instantly regretted it, thinking she might come across as somebody looking for status in a person. That couldn't be further from the truth, shoot, why did she have to be so awkward? She would have corrected herself, but thankfully Devante continued with the flow of their conversation.

"I-I," she stuttered, before giggling again. "Please, call me Dahlia." Ah it was the classic line, but it was effective with breaking down barriers. Sure Miss Harper had a lovely sound to it, but something told her she wanted to get to know this Devante Jones better. "Well, I must say I am quite absorbed with reading lately. I found a bunch of the classics, sort of a collection. I'm trying to read them all now." She said. But she was happy for the distraction, and happy she had chosen this particular seat today, she had no idea it had been claimed. She propped her elbows on the able and leaned in closer as he put his stake in the ground, blushing when Devante called her beautiful. "Outrageous," Dahlia agreed.

She jumped at the sound of his wristwatch, it had caught her off guard, but it quickly became apparent that it meant he had to leave her. She didn't let it affect her bubbly persona, but inside she slumped over, wishing he had just a little more time.

"I would loathe to keep you from your busy day, Mister Devante, I..." Dahlia was about to continue talking, but froze when she saw him pull out a business card. "Oh?" She said to herself quietly, trying to get a peek at what he was writing, even though it seemed obvious. Dahlia probably looked like a tomato by time he handed her his card, along with his personal phone number. For a split second, Dahlia was at a loss for words. "A-a meal? You mean like..." A date. Dahlia hadn't been on a date since high school, as the idea of dating with her career just sounded horrible. She had to turn him down, she could lose the card and never hear from her again. But shoot, she had two weeks wait to left for Buddy. And although it kind of pained her, she really wanted to see him again. This man had managed to break the flawless confidence she tried hard to maintain, it took a few seconds for her to notice she was looking at the card with her mouth agape. Shaking off the silence, Dahlia smiled even wider than before, tilting her head.

"A meal sounds delightful Mister Jones! But this time, its your turn to ask the questions, hmm?" Dahlia asked. She reverted back her playful self-assured self in a moment, hoping he hadn't noticed her hiccup. Dahlia didn't know how to feel though, a date seemed so foreign right now. What about the truth? How long could she lie to him if anything did become of them? Maybe she was overthinking things though. She almost hoped Devante Jones was a jerk, looking for a new girl to play like a fiddle. But something deep inside told her he was sincere, and she deserved to do something for herself for once. "Tata, Devante," Dahlia said as he left, wiggling her fingers to wave him off at the door. Ah, she wasn't going to get any more reading done today...

Status
Not open for further replies.