Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
Genres
Horror, fantasy, sci-fi.
Character Thread: CHARACTER INDEX - Tribunal Characters

From the crescent of stilted walkways on the glittering bay to the peaks of the coral palaces, from the narrow inner streets to the sprawling fields, the city of Radiant Pearl is your birthright, and she is imperiled.

The city is divided into castes, and you are at the top; the priesthood.

The intermediaries between woman and god, you are vital to ensuring the harmony of the Divine Hierarchy, and that the many Spirits which inhabit the city alongside mortals are treated with respect yet give their supplicants with the same consideration.

But as if the barbarians at the gates were not enough, as if your nieces did not abandon their callings for terrible heresies, now someone is murdering your sisters.

You are a Tribunal, representatives of the five High Fanes; promising young priests chosen to hunt down the killer. You command the respect of the lower castes and may speak to powerful Spirits as equals, wielding divine power handed down to you from your patron goddess.

Your word is law. Your power is pure. Your city will be saved.

---------------------------------------------------

Crucible: Dark Age - chapters 9 and 2 are most relevant, probably in that order.

Player characters are young priests from the five High Fanes - you will have been groomed for your role since childhood. All player characters are women.

The High Fanes

Fate - This character is nominally in charge of the Tribunal. She has given her eyes to the goddess, and received snake eyes that allow her to see the threads of Fate.

Death - This character gave her heart to Death. She can see and manipulate ghosts, and is responsible in her day to day life for funerals, exorcisms, and assisting other Temples.

Night - This character gave her shadow to Night. She can speak to cats and monsters, become unseen in darkness, and when the light fades she may shapeshift into a monster herself. Typically part of the city's secret police, also officiates joining ceremonies and nocturnal festivals.

Rain - This character gave up her womb to the goddess. She can heal any wound or sickness, and bless crops. Her duties include ensuring fertile crops, delivering babies, and general healthcare.

Earth - This character gave her skin to the goddess. Her flesh is as stone and she can feel through the earth - or add it's strength to her punches. A capable warrior and investigator, she is not unlike a police captain who also responsible for city planning and architecture.

@Bone2pick @Ayl @Alisa @Jays

Last edited:
Reactions: Bone2pick and Ailsa

Placeholder: Rain

Lore Questions

1. Are there any differences between the grip of the matriarchy between castes? For examples, do "lower" castes have more respect for males than higher castes?

2. What roles do fathers play?

3. How is courtship traditionally handled?

4. Do females dominant the army & constabulary akin to Amazons?

5. Do all high priestess have at least rudimentary combat training or are those skills reserved for specific Fanes?

6. Are there any naming tendencies, and if so could you provide an example or two?

Last edited:
In an uncharacteristic break from fate-spinning, I'd love to try a Priest of Death ~

Reactions: Ayl
1. Are there any differences between the grip of the matriarchy between castes? For examples, do "lower" castes have more respect for males than higher castes?
The, I guess you'd say, terrestrial castes tend to have more respect for men, as you surmised.

2. What roles do fathers play?
In ordinary families, there are few 'fathers', exactly - paternity isn't considered a big deal, so kids have lots of uncles. The closest thing to a husband acts as father to children in the household. He'll likely have a role associated with his caste to otherwise fill.
In priestly families, the 'husband' is tasked both with caring for children and running the household. They'll also engage in minor intrigues over ensuring their sons are worthy of powerful women.

3. How is courtship traditionally handled?
For ordinary people, it's a matter of two people taking an interest in one another and becoming lovers. If both parties find the relationship is good, they may choose to cement it legally and religiously. Caste is matrilineal, so men will try to impress women of higher castes. You can already imagine some unpleasant implications.

4. Do females dominant the army & constabulary akin to Amazons?
In general, yes, in leadership positions absolutely.

5. Do all high priestess have at least rudimentary combat training or are those skills reserved for specific Fanes?
Specific Fanes require it, a few forbid it, and some merely frown on it. Earth, Night, Death typically possess some combat skills, with priests of Death favouring archery. It would be considered inappropriate for a priest of Rain to engage in physical violence.
However, all priests possess significant supernatural power and are never truly defenseless. Additionally, most can call on warriors of their caste to fight for them, whether those are Soil Caste Wardens, Wind Caste archers, or Sea Caste marines.

6. Are there any naming tendencies, and if so could you provide an example or two?

I happen to have some here. I believe I have mostly drawn from Hindi phonemes.
Chaundra Telesti (the Telesti line is are highly regarded Coral Caste, frequently in the priesthood of Fate)
Ceda Kathon (another Coral Caste family)
Prim Satar
Meti Wale

Traditionally, priests of Death abandon their names for titles, such as Alluring Black Pearl, Ivory Wing Shadow, and so on.

It's also acceptable to use 'translations' of names, like Thousand Screams, Dawnmist, Cricket's Favourite.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bone2pick
I'd like to join and was wondering if I could be fate?

I'd like to join and was wondering if I could be fate?

There is still a space. As first among equals and nominal leader, the role of Spinner is one of considerable responsibility, so if you're sure you'd be comfortable with it.

There is still a space. As first among equals and nominal leader, the role of Spinner is one of considerable responsibility, so if you're sure you'd be comfortable with it.
Ah, I know the role of spinner is quite serious. But I thought I'd take the role instead of Earth since I am bad at writing fight scenes but out of curiosity, will there be other roles beside the High Fanes?

Ah, I know the role of spinner is quite serious. But I thought I'd take the role instead of Earth since I am bad at writing fight scenes but out of curiosity, will there be other roles beside the High Fanes?

I'm afraid not; this specific story revolves around the five priests. Perhaps in the second story arc there could be room for more.

Are these like young, beautiful, virginal priestesses? Like, basically, if I throw in a bad-a granny Earth priest who has mothered like 12 sons with 12 men and STILL openly flirts with everyone would I be scorned?

• Love
Reactions: Alexandra
Are these like young, beautiful, virginal priestesses? Like, basically, if I throw in a bad-a granny Earth priest who has mothered like 12 sons with 12 men and STILL openly flirts with everyone would I be scorned?
Sounds like Nanny Ogg. Excellent ~

Anyone scorning such an awesome idea is right out. Only priests of Night are likely to be especially beautiful, and most of that is liable to be magic.

Also it transpires I didn't mention that the ethnicities of the city are all black or brown.

Hm thought I saw that. I might need to find a new character picture (or writing it out I suppose) but I'm still interested!

I'm generally indifferent to character pictures, so it's not a requirement. Although I know plenty of people just like to have them.

I'm afraid not; this specific story revolves around the five priests. Perhaps in the second story arc there could be room for more.
then I guess count me in as the spinner ^^

EDIT: On second thought, I think I won't be able to participate and I am sorry for that >_< I am not capable of doing this kind of rp as well as not confident enough. But please let me follow this thread as well as the IC so I can marvel in this amazing rp. Again, I'm sorry and good luck!

Last edited:
@Excession For those of us who have settled on a temple should we begin crunching through our characters? I was wondering about how many skill points we'll have to work with? Also, in terms of advantages (specifically training), maybe you could put together some packages for us?

@Excession For those of us who have settled on a temple should we begin crunching through our characters? I was wondering about how many skill points we'll have to work with? Also, in terms of advantages (specifically training), maybe you could put together some packages for us?

If you've picked a temple, anything you can write up for backstory'd be ideal.
Also if anyone has specific questions about their temple, duties, that sort of thing, I can answer.

But I will absolutely get some packages up for ease of use - conveniently I have five on file that people could use with minimal editing.

Oh no, I was gone for a day and things are already moving. Is only Fate left available? Just making sure what's already set in stone and what isn't so I can work around that.

Looks like Ayl wants Earth, Ailsa wants Night, Bone chose Rain, Alexandra called Death... hm, yes, looks like Fate is what remains.