To Be a Hero OOC

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Name: Joshua Reragon, but don't call him that unless you want your face clawed out.
Nickname: Yer'on. It's a name he came up with himself, and he insists that everyone else uses it too. He'd be happy to share the story with anyone who asks.
Role: Student

Height: 4'9"
Sexual Orientation: Asexual, not that he knows what that is yet.

Powers and abilities: Yer'on has the ability to manipulate shadows, as well as enter them and move around within their boundaries. As he grows older and more powerful, he will be able to remain inside a shadow for longer periods of time, form shadows into solid objects, and even create his own shadows from nothing, but as it stands, he can't call on any of those abilities. A dark room is his playground, but a well lit one will render him basically powerless. He cannot enter his own shadow, either.

Abnormal features: Two batlike wings sprout from Yer'on's back, and while he has full motor control over them, they're only about half the size needed to carry him. If anything, he can wrap them around his upper body for warmth, or use them to shield another from rain. In addition, both his fingernails and his teeth grow to razor sharp points, ready and able to dig into any flesh he desires.

Body Type: Anyone who didn't know him would look at Yer'on and think someone was cruelly starving him. He's a walking twig, barely skin and bones, but while he does get cold easily, he's just as fast or strong as any other boy his age. He couldn't put on any weight if he tried.

Other appearance notes: Yer'on's skin is pitch black, far darker than any natural human shade, and his bright red eyes stand out in stark contrast. He is short and uncomfortably thin. With barely any fat to fill it in, his face looks downright skeletal, appearing distorted and disturbing whenever he smiles -- which is often.

Hobbies: Hunting, occult rituals, abstract painting
Likes: Playing pranks, riddles, "smart" jokes, raw meat, insects
Dislikes: Routine, being ordered around, sweet food, furry things

Personality: Yer'on is dangerously unstable and troublingly unchildlike, both in his mannerisms and his behavior. He thrives on chaos and delights in violence wherever he has the strength to exercise it risk-free, and he's always trying to one-up his own flair. His confidence gets him into trouble frequently, but his cowardice is usually what gets him out. Despite his big talk, he values self-preservation over almost all else. He's easily amused and quick to become friends with anyone who shares his morbid, sometimes smart sense of humor, but he can be fickle: annoy him and he won't hesitate to throw it all away.

Bio: Yer'on was born from the unholy union of a human woman and a male demon, a true hellspawn. His mother was sworn to sire the demon's child because of a powerful contract, but nothing stated she had to raise and care for the abomination she'd created, and so she swiftly abandoned him. A fully human child would not have survived. Yer'on was different. He made it through six hard years of life all by himself, living in the forest and feeding on the wildlife. More than one legend spawned from sightings of him flitting through the trees. Soon, one of the nearby townspeople went out to investigate the rumors. There, she found what seemed like a winged boy that was too young to care for himself, and she took him in.

With help from her single father, the young woman raised the boy that she called Joshua, teaching him how to speak, read, and function in modern society. Yer'on learned quickly, developing his mind far faster than an ordinary child. It wasn't long before he began to control his power over shadows, the magic that his demon father had bestowed unto him. His foster mother saw this as an opportunity, not for the greater good but for fame and glory -- Yer'on could become a superhero, the greatest one the world had ever known. Not to mention it would provide a better outlet for his destructive urges. And so, she enrolled him in a school for heroes.

Up until then, Yer'on had been entirely homeschooled, but the idea of fame and glory appealed to him, and still does. Though he struggles with the structure and routine of a boarding school, he is happy to be freed from the confines of his home and is willing to go along with things until he learns to seize power for himself.

[bg=darkseagreen]

Mama says to be proud of where you're from.
[/bg]

tumblr_o8hwopTbMx1swwx3co1_250.png

Mayra Ruiz

[/hr]​

• Name: Mayra Ruiz
    Nickname: Rue, Ra-ra, Mayra
    Role: Student
    Sexual Orientation: Bi the way, she's super bisexual.
  • Height: 6'2"
    Body Type: She's a tall, kinda string bean-y girl
    Abnormal features: Mayra is covered almost head to toe in clothes because if she has even the smallest bit of skin contact, her powers activate. Thus she wears gloves, long socks and long sleeves to make sure all of her skin is covered.
  • Personality:
    Now Mayra is a very happy girl. She's optimistic, social, and generally compassionate. She likes to help where she can, especially when it comes to her family. She's a bit of a nerd, prioritizing school over most things and working hard to get good grades. She works hard for what she has and doesn't like to push things off. Stubborn as a mule, Mayra refuses to acknowledge that she can't do something. This means she can be quite argumentative when her buttons are pushed. She's very secretive of her home life, and tends to be ashamed of her situation. While seemingly perfectly happy and functioning, Mayra has her bad days and bad weeks. Some days it's a struggle to get out of bed and see the point in things. Other days, she just wants to disappear and melt into the ground. However, her need to support her family generally keeps her from getting too down in the dumps.

Hobbies:
    -
    Sculpting
    - Cooking
    - Writing Letters

Her family
    - Spicy Food
    - Sculpture Gardens
    - Horchata
    - Telenovelas
    - Talking with Friends
    - Long Showers
    - Being Barefoot

Dislikes:
    -
    Spending Money
    - Rich People
    - People asking her to "Go back to her country"/"Say something in Spanish!"
    - Shoes
    - Bland food
    - Hot days
    - Humid Days
    - Pompous People
  • Powers and abilities:
    Surface Manipulation:

Mayra can manipulate any inanimate surface she touches to become any shape or form she can think of. With this amazing ability comes some major conditions and draw backs. While she can create almost any shape that comes to her mind, she cannot use more mass than is available to her. She can't just create more of a surface out of nowhere. To be able to manipulate the surface, she has to have skin touching the surface at some point on her body, usually her hands or feet, to be able to actually use her power. She finds it easier to mold things physically with her hands than to just think of the shape and touch the surface, but both are possible. Currently, she cannot touch any kind of surface without making it bend around her or denting it, forcing her to cover all of her limbs as best as she can to avoid ruining things.
  • Bio:
    Mayra grew up an only child in a poverty stricken area in Ecuador with her parents working hard to provide for her. Her parents dreamed of providing a better life for her, thus had her learn English in hopes that one day they would move to America. They had heard the country could offer them more opportunities and hopefully a better life.

Ecuador had a more lax response to supernatural abilities, thus when it was discovered that Mayra was bending her crib wherever she touched it, her parents simply covered her up more and made her promise to never use it around others. Thus, Mayra lived a normal-ish life as her family worked four to six jobs between them to try and save up to move. Wanting to help her parents, Mayra started to use her powers to sculpt marvelous pieces of art. She sold them under pseudonyms, saving up the money to help her family move. When she was 11 years old, her family finally had enough to move and try to start a better life.

Unfortunately, their situation didn't change much after they moved. Mayra's family still lived mostly in poverty, scrapping by. Seeing how her family struggled, Mayra took up her sculpting once more to sell pieces off and try to help her family gain more income. However, their new country's government wasn't as lax as their old one. By the time she was 16, Mayra was found showing some kids her sculpting abilities and taken in to learn at a new hero school. Without any goodbyes or chance at saying no, Mayra was off to learn how to control her powers.

[/hr][/hr]

[/hr]

Last edited:

ccde886198232b2a2cac795bb445abc6.jpg

Name:

Yuliya Markov

Nickname:
Ms. Markov
Hydrangea

Role:
Teacher-Literature

Height:
5"9"

Sexual Orientation:
Bisexual

Powers and abilities:
Brain manipulation
Yuliya's abilities allow her almost complete access to the functions of her brain that push the very limits the human body is capable of and then some. When activated, Yuliya can change her appearance at will, manipulate the different functions of her body, grant herself enhanced strength, speed, and senses, the ability manipulate her bones and nails, accelerate her healing, and even harden her skin as an armor. Her mental capacities also move at an accelerated rate, allowing her to solve problems faster and retain information easier.

With all these abilities comes major drawbacks and conditions. Yuliya's ability can only be activated upon seeing this hydrangea painting followed immediately by a clear, direct order. If these conditions are not met, than the ability won't activate or she could be in a complete, catatonic state until an order is received. Her abilities also put her at risk for a condition which she has dubbed "Backfire." "Backfire" is simply what it is: a backfiring of her abilities which depends on what was used. For example, if she were to enhance her eyesight, she could suddenly go blind. If she were to use her enhanced strength, her muscles would rupture. Because all of these abilities depends on the brain, there is also a risk for developing brain cancer as well.

Added note: Yuliya is capable of developing mental powers such as telekinesis, telepathy and others. But, in order to obtain this, a tumor must develop in her brain and at that point there is no way to know if she will be fully functional to use it properly.

Abnormal features:
When using her powers, Yuliya's undergoes a drastic change. Her hair changes from auburn to black, and her eyes change from blue to purple. Her skin also becomes tanner and her body becomes more muscular.
9f4f8d2df1ad6dc0e5a4b4c6bb2849da.jpg

Body Type:

Athletic body type with muscle definition. Muscles become more prominent when changed into Hydrangea.

Hobbies:
Reading
Trying coffee
Going to coffee shops
Ice cream tasting
Pressing flowers
Card games
Martial arts

The smell of coffee
The view of the city from tall buildings
Multi-color pens
Sweets
French fries and chocolate malts

Dislikes:
Poorly written essays
"Backfire"
Hydrangea deactivating and leaving her to figure out how to get back onto stable ground
Wet socks
The school's bland version of Lo Mein noodles

Personality:
Yuliya is generally an upbeat, lively woman. She always greets her coworkers and students with a bright smile and tries to tackle the day with good energy after she has had a cup of coffee. She relaxes by reading, often choosing the shade of a large oak tree on the school grounds, sometimes climbing the branches if she wants to watch the sunset. She regularly works out to keep her body in shape, but is always enthusiastic to learn new moves or new workout techniques.

As Hydrangea, her personality is much more quiet and stoic, a side effect of her powers that practically shuts down emotional responses in order to let her have the most efficiency in her missions. Trying to get her to smile is practically impossible and she will become mission oriented and will keep all her focus into completing the mission. Researchers often commented it's almost like she was a different person. Despite that, she does have a soft spot for young children.

Bio:
Yuliya is the daughter of Russian immigrants. Her mother was a nursing assistant while her father was a librarian. During the first few years of her life, her parents brought her with them to work because they didn't hire a babysitter or a nanny, mostly because they were paranoid what a stranger could do to their precious zaichik. Eventually, she started going to work more with her father and spend her days reading all the books the children's section had to offer. Yuliya's childhood was quite normal and a very happy one as well.

After graduating high school and college, Yuliya was recruited by the CIA as an agent. Most of her work had her stuck at the desk dealing with audits from various superheroes, with one or two field missions here and there, but mostly desk work. One day, she received an email from the research department asking if she would like to participate in a new program they were working on. She signed up, and was taken to the research department with seven others who have also volunteered themselves. Each candidate was asked to provide a sample of their DNA along with a physical examination. Of the eight candidates, Yuliya was the only one who showed the most promise and was made the test subject of a new program called "Condon." She underwent numerous experimentation and later on intense, grueling training, turning her into the most efficient, perfect soldier. The clinical trials were done and soon sent her on her first mission which was to infiltrate the hideout of an infamous villain and assassinate him. The mission was a success and soon, Yuliya was sent out on more missions, going under the alias Hydrangea. The program was deemed successful and it looked like Yuliya was onto a praiseworthy career. Until one mission.

Yuliya received a mission for San Francisco, California where there has been reported activity of a wild man terrorizing citizens of the city. Her mission was to investigate and to stop the villain at all costs. She met her target just a few days after her arrival, the man gone mad after falling into a vat of toxic chemicals. He had set up a plan where he would blow up the Golden Gate Bridge, picking a time when it was the busiest. Among the trapped victims was a bus of school children. Yuliya engaged him in battle as soon as she stepped foot on the bridge. The man, despite not having powers of his own, proved to be a very formidable enemy, having smaller bombs placed all around the area. Eventually, Hydrangea managed to take him down, but he was able to make one last move and activate the big one, throwing many citizens to their deaths. Among the victims was the bus of children. Hydrangea desperately wanted to save them, but her body wouldn't move as her orders were to only stop the man and nothing else. Hydrangea could only helplessly listen the screams of the children as they fell to their deaths, the sudden silence that followed shocking Hydrangea back into Yuliya.

Despite the losses, the mission was still marked a success. Yuliya, however, was hit with an immense guilt over the deaths of those on that bridge. The guilt could be felt the strongest when she thought of those children. She resigned from the CIA. Soon after, she received a letter offering her a teaching position at the school for heroes. She had to wonder if she was being made fun of for what happened in San Francisco. While she wanted nothing to do with doing superhero work, she was jobless and needed a new source of income. She accepted the position, but only under the condition that she not teach hero courses and instead teach literature to these up and coming students.

markov.png

Reactions: MIIDD
Alright, that's everyone! Oh, and @Yuuki_Tatsunohi , I'm glad you were willing to be the first to name-drop locations. I think I'll make a few edits to my characters to accommodate the more accurate setting. :3

@OddlyEverAfter , all that's left is to set up a posting order / the intro post!

Glad my location dropping was helpful. Yay for being daring! XD

Boop boop, just curious on what is the status of this rp.

I mean I'm all here

I'm still around, though there isn't much to do until we have a place to start from. :/

Well, I guess we can talk about this rp and what we plan to do or what should happen. Like any story arcs or stuff like that to give the OOC some activity.

@OddlyEverAfter can you give us an update? Anything just to give us an idea of when you'll get the IC thread up? Or if you need help as well.

Hey guys I am so sorry for leaving you hanging! I wanted to let you guys know that I've been sick lately and have been resting. I'm hoping to get better soon and get the ic thread up, thank you so much for being patient with me! I'm so sorry!

Just to letting everyone here know, I'm not going to be able to reply here very frequently for the next few weeks starting on 7/17/17, I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause in the future.

So uh, been a while, is this still happening?

Hey guys, I wanted to talk with everyone. I've been in the hospital for the past week and I've just gotten out so I may be a little slow. I want to know who all is still interested in this, if anyone. You guys let me know!

• Useful
Reactions: xLarius
I'm still interested. I'm a bit too excited to use my flirtatious individual.

Oh wow, I'm glad you're okay now! ;w; Still interested.

I'll have to drum up my excitement again, but yeah I'm still in this. :)

I'm still interested in this!

Status
Not open for further replies.