Things only writers get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parent's basically complained about the Internet being a thing?

Wow... XD
It was more about the dubious content of said memes. They were really civil about it and all, just saying they felt it didn't have a place in the classroom. The dad put it really well: "You already teach kids to memorize some useless bit of information, put it on a test, and forget it. These things come and go so quickly that they're doing your job for you."

It was more about the dubious content of said memes. They were really civil about it and all, just saying they felt it didn't have a place in the classroom. The dad put it really well: "You already teach kids to memorize some useless bit of information, put it on a test, and forget it. These things come and go so quickly that they're doing your job for you."
So they were mad about the specific stuff on the memes?

No, that they looked up memes and found out some weren't appropriate for a middle schooler. Mostly the cheesy sex ones.
Oh. :/
You could argue the same if one looks up music, history etc. though too. >.<

Oh. :/
You could argue the same if one looks up music, history etc. though too. >.<
Gwazi, there really isn't a fair consideration of this topic. I can't turn on the radio for 15 minutes without hearing a song at least partially about sex, drugs, gun, alcohol, or something otherwise objectionable. The very fact that parents think that seeing a repurposed meme will corupt their kids is ridiculous. They are middle-schoolers, they can make sexual context out of anything with the way their hormones are... Being exposed to a meme they probably never cared to seriously consider will not make them any different. I think they have bigger fish to fry.

Gwazi, there really isn't a fair consideration of this topic. I can't turn on the radio for 15 minutes without hearing a song at least partially about sex, drugs, gun, alcohol, or something otherwise objectionable. The very fact that parents think that seeing a repurposed meme will corupt their kids is ridiculous. They are middle-schoolers, they can make sexual context out of anything with the way their hormones are... Being exposed to a meme they probably never cared to seriously consider will not make them any different. I think they have bigger fish to fry.
That's exactly my point. :/

I was highlighting the jump/failure in logic the parents are using, not suggesting that these other things need to be censored.

Back on topic people!

Having the odds of 'making it' as a writer repeated to you every time you say it's what you want to do

Watching a movie and being able to predict right down to the letter when and where things happen
This is why people don't want to watch series with me anymore.

Except the ones I actually like (ie I shut up).

"Stealing" from Plotlines of Tv shows, books, games, etc. to use in your stories.

• Writing a story you're proud of, only to come back a month later and stare at the dozens of typos and plot holes you somehow did not notice upon creating it.
  • Attempting to explain to people that understanding how a story works doesn't necessarily take away from my enjoyment of it. (Fuckin' magnets, how do??)
  • Becoming initially interested in a role play, then dismayed upon the realization that the author cannot tell the difference between something as basic as the difference between a plot, a premise, and a story.
  • Reading with friends and family an article or short story which impresses them because of the artsy, advanced linguistics it uses, just to realize that it has utterly no meaning whatsoever because you've written the same kind of thing before too.
  • Writing a long, five paragraph premise, only to realize you've repeated the same premise five times. Fffff~

Becoming irrationally infuriated when people such as Eel James are called authors.

Reactions: Koschei
Status
Not open for further replies.