Things only writers get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone list this one yet:

Thinking that you created this horrible terrible person that everyone will hate only to find it is the one character that everyone loves because he is such a horrid person! (Like, a cursing woman hater. Seriously... out of all my characters, THAT'S your FAVORITE??)

My people. My people, I've found you. \;^_^;/

Okay, I'll try and add one. As an inverse to the 'mixed bag' dilemma of seeing your writing improve but being left with a sub-par piece of work to get there, actually going back to something you loathed and kicked yourself for while writing it only to find... oh, hey, no, this is pretty good!

*Cue diving back into the project while already juggling half a dozen others*

Last edited:
Aspiring writer here, so I guess I'll chime in.
  • Looking at someone else's work for inspiration, only to realize that they've written much more than you ever will
  • Preparing to work on something, then coming up with something new to work on, repeatedly, ending up with no work done whatsoever.
  • Spending hours on TV Tropes after looking for good
  • Self-deprecation about your own work
  • Painfully working for hours on something, and when you share it with someone else...they critique it mercilessly over realism and other elements you hadn't thought about, forcing you to rework things
  • Related to the previous one, people bitching at you to make changes to suit their own opinions
  • Using Wikipedia as a research tool, because of limited funds and/or resources, only to find out that your intended audience frowns down upon the usage of that site
  • Desperately wanting commentary, and getting none
  • Posting a story that you want the community to read, where you know people will read and comment on it, and having it relegated to a decrepit section, where you know it won't be commented on, or even read
That last one has nothing to do with Iwaku or our benevolent overlords I swear.
*Cough Cough*
I'm sure I'll think of some more as the day progresses.

Reactions: Hana
When you've been having the same characters, plot and world rolling around in your head for years, the plot already having some direction and you know what you want, but it's still difficult to touch your pen to the paper and get the words out. It's there, on the tip of your pen, but... It just won't come out the way you want it to.

And moments of inspiration are so fleeting, but when you have them it's the best feeling in the world.

Did anyone list this one yet:

Thinking that you created this horrible terrible person that everyone will hate only to find it is the one character that everyone loves because he is such a horrid person! (Like, a cursing woman hater. Seriously... out of all my characters, THAT'S your FAVORITE??)
  • Liking a character for being well developed, rounded, and dynamic, rather than being a nice person
:3

• Using Wikipedia as a research tool, because of limited funds and/or resources, only to find out that your intended audience frowns down upon the usage of that site
Google can give you many more sites to do research on besides Wikipedia, and there's always those Dinosaurs called 'real life libraries'

Here, maybe this can help

• "Why aren't you listening to me?" From my wife as I'm hammering out responses. If I respond, the flow stops and it's hard to get moving again.
  • "Reply later." BUT I HAVE THE REPLY IN MY HEAD RIGHT NOW.
That's all I have.

Having a novel or just a story idea you've been "working on" for years without writing a single word of it.

All of my this.

When your creativity is high but the writing process is
tumblr_mxhovcDibL1sglcspo1_500.jpg

When you have a scene in your mind and when you get to it, it feels awkward to write and makes you wonder "... wait, am I doing this correctly?".

When you write a simple word over and over/haven't used the word for a while and try to spell it. "Is it really spelled that way..? Maybe I should search it up.".

When you look up a whole Culture's history just to base a country on it.

((I once looked up Rome, Japan and Arabia's histories for one story.))

When someone calls you verbose thinking its a compliment on your writing ability.

When talking about a series and people don't get it because "the TV show doesn't have that".

When teachers use memes to teach kids how to write properly.

When people are writing a paper or response like its a legitimate real time conversation: "umm so yeah this is how it happened and so like ummmm.." Just fucking tell me!

When you see a mistake in a book with how a word works. Looking at you, @Muirgen C:

When someone butchers a story and their excuse is "but I was born 200 miles from here".

When you've got this fantastic idea for a story with suspense, drama, romance, action, and pure adventure! But looking at it from a different angle has it just being horribly generic compared to everything else.

All it rage inducing.
Pretty sure those are all on topic..

When someone butchers a story and their excuse is "but I was born 200 miles from here".
What is this even supposed to mean?

What is this even supposed to mean?
A coworker completely destroyed a storyline she was trying to retell. Her excuse was "I'm from Nassau".

Mind you she can't read or write as well. The story was a movie trailer.

Wish I was kidding.
image.jpg

Also, I'm banned from tinypic. Lovely. Would be nice to know what earned me that.

I feel like there's a difference between just having memes hanging up someplace and using them in a lesson, which is what you seemed to imply before.

Also, at least s/he isn't an English/writing teacher. Or at least doesn't seem to be, based on those memes.

I feel like there's a difference between just having memes hanging up someplace and using them in a lesson, which is what you seemed to imply before.

Also, at least s/he isn't an English/writing teacher. Or at least doesn't seem to be, based on those memes.
There are plenty just hanging around. That's just one of about four sets of them in their room. The English department refuses to let them have them in any other room because kids are actually writing like that, whatever it's called.

A parent turned it into a hot debate earlier this school year when she learned their origins.

Having someone be mildly impressed with your writing.
Without them knowing you practised by writing about sex and dragons. Sometimes, dragonsex.

Reactions: Windsong and Hana
There are plenty just hanging around. That's just one of about four sets of them in their room. The English department refuses to let them have them in any other room because kids are actually writing like that, whatever it's called.

A parent turned it into a hot debate earlier this school year when she learned their origins.
Parent's basically complained about the Internet being a thing?

Wow... XD

Status
Not open for further replies.