The Weight of the Crown: A King's Edict

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audra Baelston​

On any other night, in any other circumstance, Audra might have appreciated the journey through parts unknown. The palace was stunning and mysterious, filled with wonders that unfolded around every corner. But as Rannulf led her through the ancient chambers, Audra could focus on little more than her own anxious thoughts. She couldn't shake the terrible feeling that her own father might have anything to do with the attack… that he would ever stoop to harm his own child for some sick diplomatic advantage.

Only when she felt his arm wind around her did Audra return to reality and as Rannulf paused she looked up into his gaze with wonder. It was a question she had both wholly expected him to ask and privately one she had hoped he might. Cheeks reddening, she managed a small, uneasy smile.

"My love… despite the terrible reason for it, I could think of nothing I long for more than to become your bride… the sooner, the better."

She had never expected to grow to feel so strongly about him, but the simple facts were… she loved him, desperately and whatever had happened or would happen from then on, marrying him… being required to marry him sooner than expected… was the only piece to the nightmarish day that had carried any joy at all.

Pressing onto her toys she kissed his cheek, "Forgive me for not having said as much earlier." Her hand slid down his forearm where it had rested and she clasped her fingers through his, "All my heart yearns for is you, Rannulf…"

With her free hand, she brushed her knuckles along his jaw, "Truly."

Gavin Elroth​

Catching the stone midair, Gavin loomed it over for a moment before he nodded, tucking it into his pocket. It was a sweet gesture, but more importantly a decent confirmation that Beyla didn't intend to try and chase after them. Not too bad… for his first night.

As she drifted, he smiled at her muttered sentiment and nodded, speaking quietly at her slumbering form, "I swear, Little Miss.. I will guard her with my very life."

And he meant it. There was no job, no matter how big or small that Gavin did not thrust himself into entirely. Lucianna was in good hands…

He sat for several more minutes before the elder princess returned and looking up as she entered,he smiled sheepishly. Rising, he followed Lucianna into the hall, nodding at her suggestion, "Lead the way, Your Grace…"

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: rissa

Rannulf Gringoire
He had kissed her, more forceful than he meant to… but everything inside him waged war and only she held his token of peace. And he so desperately needed peace.

Hours later, Rannulf laid in her outer chambers, having seen her to her bed and laying a gentle kiss upon her forehead and lips. When her breathing had settled into deep song, he left her chamber momentarily to say goodbye to Luce. His little sister was already in riding clothing, her dark golden brown hair loose and curly, with a vibrant sense of adventure radiating from her eyes. He wrapped her in a hug and whispered both a thank you and a good luck.

The bedding he laid on wasn't uncomfortable per se… but it wasn't his bed and his feet dangled a good few inches off of it. It was early in the morn most like, but sleep refused to come. The hearth was growing faint and Rannulf shrugged off the quilted blanket to attend to it. Anything was better than lying down waiting for sleep to shut his eyes.

Lucianna Gringoire
She hid her blushing smile with her long, swarthy gold-brown hair and led the way back down to her father's solar. Luce was prudent in such ways and in less than an hour she was ready to depart. When she had returned to her chambers, the first task Luce set herself to was removing the pins and tightly woven plaits from her hair. The packing was relatively easy after that; three medium-sized trunks were filled with essential clothing for not only the trek there, but gowns for court and a beautiful grey-blue gown to meet with the King. She had also informed her handmaid to retrieve her longbow from the Royal Armory and she awaited word that it had been done.

Luce snatched shy glances of Gavin here and there whenever she thought he wasn't looking. She couldn't help it… not entirely… He was a handsome man. But she knew her place and that what had transpired in the night was a cleverly disguised declaration of war.

"Do you fear?" Luce asked suddenly. "Do you fear of war with the Eastern King?" She sighed softly before continuing. "I feel like this is much greater than just one kingdom, Gavin. And it will affect not just Silvern, but the realm as a whole. Something ill is taking root in Fable."

• Love
Reactions: Elle Joyner

Audra Baelston​

The weight of the evening had hung so heavily on her shoulders that by the time Audra laid down to rest, exhaustion had arrested her remaining energy. It was for this reason, coupled with the knowledge that Rannulf was watching over her from the next room, that she managed to drift off to sleep. For a few hours that sleep was restful and deep, and might have lasted her the fullness of night, were it not for the dreams.

They had started in a vague fog, bits and pieces of stirred up memories from the evening, but as the horrors began to unfold in greater detail, fear was engaged and rationality shrinking away. Memories became tormentous nightmares, terrors that twisted her subconscious until she woke with a startled scream, bolting upright in bed, a hand to her chest where her heart crashed, wrecked against her ribs.

Tears stung her eyes as the fresh horror clung still, like cobwebs, to the waking state of mind, her form quaking beneath the blankets as she clutched them until her knuckles grew white, her nails biting crescent marks into the soft flesh of her palms.

Gavin Elroth​

Something that Gavin was not entirely accustomed to, and something which would undoubtedly take time to get used to at all, was the uncertainty of where exactly the line of propriety was drawn with his newest charge. With Colin he'd never had to question whether it was right to walk alone down the hall, whether or not a hand to the arm or a pat to the back as a gesture of comfort or reassurance was considered a breach of etiquette. While she had readied herself, he had paced in the hall and when they had made for the Solar again, he had walked slightly behind, his eyes straight ahead.

It hardly helped that she was decidedly lovely. He wasn't one to lie, not even to himself, and it would have been fully dishonest to suggest otherwise. But as much as he loved Silvern, as much as he appreciated their customs and the differences from other kingdoms within the realm, there was something refreshing to the Western princess, who had an air of untouchable daintiness. It was easy to remember what and who she was...

Lucianna seemed vastly different, and that was going to be an adjustment, without a doubt.

As she broke the silence, he looked over to her with a soft frown and bowed his head in a nod, "It's definitely a possibility. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it came to that. Seems to be what Cain'loren is aiming for, anyway. But I suppose we'll have something to do with whether or not things go in that direction." Reaching out, tentatively, he rested a hand on her elbow, "There's still hope... There's always hope. We just have to do our best to prevent it."

• Love

Rannulf Gringoire
Flinging the hearth stick aside, Rannulf rushed to Audra's inner chambers, his small dagger already in his hand. He sheathed it, at the small of his back quickly, realizing it wasn't an intruder but a dream. He flung off goose-flesh and nightmares of his own as he knelt against the bed and wrapped her hands within his own.

"What did you dream of, my love?" Rannulf asked calmly, standing up a bit to lay a kiss against her forehead. "Better yet, why don't we speak of something more… joyous. Speak to me Audra, give me your unease, I am here."

Lucianna Gringoire
The western knight was deliciously well informed and well taught. Lucianna appreciated that. She nodded her head as she continued down the well lit hall. Purposefully taking the long way in order to gauge her partner. Riding partner, that is. For the next, oh, month or so. Luce halted for a moment and looked over at Gavin.

"What are your specialties? Ineptitudes? In, uh -- combative and defensive measures I mean."

• Love

Audra Baelston​

He was there. Just as he had been when she had fallen to pieces outside of the Solar. Just as he had been when she woke after the incident during the ceremony. Stalwart and strong, a rock worthy of trust… he was there. He bent and kissed her head and she wrapped her arms around his waist and curled into his warmth with a soft sigh.

"I'm so afraid, Rannulf. I know it's over… That they've found the men responsible, and I know that I have you to watch over me… But what if it's true? That my father is responsible for all of this? How can anything good come of this? What if it comes to war.. What if…"

Frozen by the weight of her concerns, Audra tightened her grip on the front of his shirt. It occurred to her then, of all times, that there were certain expectations of propriety undoubtedly at risk… she in her nightgown and he in but a robe and underclothes. Yet short of the door being broken down by guards, and Rannulf being physically removed… she would not bar him from her side.

Sniffling, she pulled away to meet his gaze, "Please don't go,my love. I… I cannot bear to be alone, again."

Gavin Elroth​

It wasn't a question he was prepared for… but Gavin had a feeling that was the princess's full intentions. She seemed wholly curious and it was little wonder. He was a stranger and would be traveling with her for weeks… virtually alone. It made sense that there would be some apprehension… Some uneasiness.

Smiling dryly, he scrunched his shoulders in a modest shrug, "I've skill with a blade… Some with a bow. And I've done a joust or two. I'm also told I've a proficiency with being something of a smart prat, but I suspect that was just Colin being irritable. Inadequacies? I'm not the sharpest with diplomatic measures, but then… I've never had to concern myself with them much. But I can be taught. I… hmm. I also can't swim."

• Nice Execution!

RANNULF GRINGOIRE
Rannulf trembled at the closeness they shared. He could feel her warm, fear flavored breathing against his chest, could smell faint hints of jasmine in her hair, and when she asked him not to leave his heart skipped a beat. Several of them. He nodded, climbed into the bed and rested his back comfortably against the silver filigree headboard.

He pulled her closer to him, so she was against his body.

"I won't ever leave." Rannulf said softly, more to himself than to his beloved.

As he contemplated his answer, Rannulf's brow furrowed deeply and his eyes grew hard. He was silent for a while as he chewed on his thoughts. When he finally spoke, his tone was even, if a bit saddened.

"Silvern will not seek war with Cain'loren, not unless they march on us. What has been done to you is an act of war but we won't blindly throw fingers, Audra, we'll get what information we need before we fling accusations and involve ourselves into matters of iron and blood." He sighed before continuing. "I- I don't want to think your father has anything to do with this… It can't be true, a father purposefully hurting his daughter. It just doesn't make sense…"

LUCIANNA GRINGOIRE
Luce appreciated candor. Especially his. Gavin's…

Shaking herself from inappropriate thoughts, Luce guided the knight back to her father's solar where the Lord Commander, Melissant, her mother and father, and her handmaid waited for them. They're somber expressions sobered Lucianna's psyche and she took a few deep breaths, reminding herself of the importance of this mission.

"Are you ready?" The Lord Commander replied in his deep gruff of a voice.

Lucianna nodded and looked to her handmaid for confirmation. The woman dipped her head in acknowledgement and reassured that the trip to the Royal Armory had been successful. In more ways than one, apparently. The Lord Commander urged Gavin forward and pointed to a wool sack upon the table.

"They'll expect you to dress the part, I presume. I've given you an extra pair of my own Kingsguard robes, armor, and garments. Reyla has provided you with a sword, dagger, and bow all imprinted with Kingsguard markings. There are also a pair of boots waiting for you, I hope they fit."

Her mother and father moved over to embrace her and Luce wrapped each of them in a hug, her eyes pricking with tears. "I love you both." She whispered, pulling back and wiping her tears.

She looked over at Gavin, waiting for his instruction, eyes still watery with unshed tears.

• Love

Audra Baelston​

"I..." Frowning, Audra peeled herself away from Rannulf with some reluctance, leaning against his chest so she could meet his eye, "It would not be the first time my father put some great personal mission over one of his children. I... I can't pretend to know the whole story, but my sister, Rae... She was in love once, with a merchant's son."

Laying back down, her head against his heart, Audra sighed, softly, "He had no prospects, no money, but Raenna loved him more than I thought it was possible to love someone, until now. They were going to marry, against my father's wishes. It wasn't as if Raenna was going to be queen or anything, and while she was always responsible, it didn't seem fair that she should have to wed a stranger, when she was so desperately fond of her merchant. We all saw it... but Papa... he couldn't be swayed."

Her finger tightened in the folds of his shirt and she sniffed, softly, "He was killed, her merchant. Sent into a battle he had no business being a part of. Papa said it was an accident, but I think we all knew, at least to some degree, that he had seen to it Raenna would not disappoint him. Only she did, anyway, in the end. She fell pregnant, and lost the child. After that, she couldn't conceive again, and when she eventually did marry again, he put her away, out of shame for her barren nature. Raenna was humiliated and tarnished. She never married again."

Laying her palm flat, fingertips tracing circles across his ribs, she shook her head, "...She cries, still. I can hear her, at night. Broken... and all because my father did not approve. No, I think, my Love... he is more than capable of hurting me, if it serves the right purpose."

Gavin Elroth​

It was a little surreal, being handed a uniform by a man that was, by all intents and purposes, his new commander... when he had never actually met the man before. But a lot of Gavin's purpose was based on loyalty to those he served, no matter who they were, and these people... this city... this life, was his new calling.

He accepted the offered clothing and nodded, overlooking the boots. They would do. They would have to do, because there was very little time, otherwise. They needed to get out on the road if they were going to make it to Cain'loren before anything more could happen to embroil the situation, further. If they were going to stop a war, they were going to have to make swift work of a very long journey.

Grabbing the bag, he hooked it over his shoulder, then turned to see Lucianna bidding her parents farewell. He approached quietly, and when she turned to him, bowed his head, "If you're ready, then... The horses are out front. You should wear your hood until we've cleared the palace grounds, so we aren't stopped for any questions."

• Love

RANNULF GRINGOIRE
As he lost himself in Audra's words, he ran a gentle hair through her hair, caressing her face every now and then, mainly when her eyes shone with tears. He yearned to be able to comfort her, even more than what he was currently doing… But what was there to do when her own father was the culprit behind her pain? Rannulf sighed and then leaned down to kiss Audra upon her forehead, unsure if there would be anything, now or in the future, to ebb that kind of betrayal.

The last of her speech was haunting… And chilled him to the bone. And for a moment, he sat there, completely lost in his own mind. He contemplated the thought of his own father, wearing the persona of the Eastern King and experiencing the despair Audra had so viscerally described.

What would it be like, to have a father that acted so coldly? Cared so little of his children's happiness and wellbeing…

"But to what purpose?" Rannulf said finally, laying his arm across her waist as he mused. "What does he gain by your wine being laced with sleeping powders?"

LUCIANNA GRINGOIRE
Luce nodded at Gavin, realizing the longer they waited to leave the longer she'd be gone. She gave both her mother and father another hug, throwing her arms around their necks, and then stepped back to hug Melissant as well. Once she was finished with her goodbyes, she lifted her silver-grey hood and walked over to the knight. She was excited and scared. Terrified and enthralled. She trembled from head to toe but nonetheless, she was ready.

"After you then." Luce said, a small smile hidden in her voice. "Let us begin this journey."

• Love

Audra Baelston​

"I think he meant..." Frowning, she straightened upright, again. It had been easier to say it in her head, but voicing her supposition aloud gave her pause. Did she really believe it? That he father could be capable of such an atrocity?

"I think he meant to have them abduct me, Nulf. I think that was the plan. And it would have given Father a perfect excuse to start a war with Silvern... particularly if he had been able to blame any missteps on your parents, or even on you. He's got no power in the west... and with his allies diminishing in the east..."

She might not have been one for politics, and she certainly would never have chosen to rule if it had been an option for her, but she understood well enough the importance of how it all worked. And she certainly understood the benefit of securing a place like Silvern, if it came to a war. Cain'loren having territory on both coasts would give them a controlling power on land within Fable... something no kingdom had yet to accomplish. It was a dangerous course of action, but not an unwise one... at least on certain terms.

But using his daughter as bait to do it?

Shaking her head, a shiver running through her, she curled back into Rannulf's arms, "I don't like this, Love. It's a terrible feeling, not to belong anywhere... To have no home. I'm not from Silvern, and even if we married tomorrow, I'm afraid they'll never accept me... Yet I could never go home. Not after all of this." Sniffing softly, she closed her eyes, "You're the only safe place I have to land..."

Gavin Elroth​

The display, the way that Lucianna embraced her loved one, the trepidation and excitement in her expression... It all reminded Gavin of when he had left home for the first time. Things had not gone entirely as he had expected, but the journey had been well worth it, either way. This particularly trip, however, he wasn't sure would have quite so positive an outcome.

As Lucianna turned back to him, Gavin gave a nod to the princess and turned to leave the room. It was a decent trek to the stables, but when they arrived, their horses were waiting. Moving to the princess's side, Gavin hitched his hands together to boost her up onto the saddle, "We'll ride until morning... and then we can stop for a rest, if that suits you, Your Grace?"

Last edited:
  • Love

RANNULF GRINGOIRE
Wrapping his arms around Audra protectively, drawing her body closer to his, he nuzzled into her neck playfully. The scent of her fear and despair was something he longed to banish. But without knowing how, he placated those desires with soft kisses.

Audra's revelation was something he tried not to expect… eastern Kings were confusing, ornery, and far too hard to please. You'd think a harmonious marriage between their kingdoms would solidify an alliance. It had always worked for Silvern, why were the easterners so damn stubborn to see that? Silvern was too proud to go against her own word and that fact was well known, so what did Audra's father worry of?

With a soft trail of kisses, Rannulf banished the tremulous thoughts from his mind and focused on the woman on top of him. As beautiful as the lunar goddess, as sweet as the mother of harvest… He truly could not wait to marry her, to become one in body and soul, to truly be able to call Audra his wife.

"Silvern will love you, just as I do, Audra. Trust me on this, darling, they will love their future Queen… But it's late, my love, let's try and get some sleep before the light rises once more."

LUCIANNA GRINGOIRE
"It would." Lucianna said with a small smile, unable to keep the blush from her face. Thankfully the moon dominated the sky and the torches were just enough to see by. "If we can pass the foothills by morning I doubt we'll meet anyone too curious on where the princess is going."

She accepted his offer, though she didn't really need the help. Her academics and training had included equestrian riding. Nonetheless, she was a princess, and he her knight…

As she waited for Gavin to ready himself for the travels, she busied herself with checking the saddlebags to ensure all the supplies were where they needed to be, and then triple checked the fastenings on her bow and quiver. The mare beneath her nickered and she glanced over at Gavin with an excited expression lighting up her face.

"This is the first time I'll be able to see the eastern countryside." She bowed her head slightly, "I'm ready to depart when you are, my knight."

• Love

Audra Baelston​

As he pulled her closer, Audra allowed herself to relax against the prince, her eyes falling closed as his lips left a trail along the map of her skin. Her lip twitched upwards, just ever so slightly, and the pounding pulse of her heart began to throb against her ribs for an entirely different and completely more satisfactory reason.

She wasn't convinced, despite the sincerity of his words, that his people would care for her quite as deeply as he did, but she was willing to accept, for the time being, that his love would be enough to sustain her. Even if everything around her was falling to pieces, she had him, and that would do...

She fell quiet for a few minutes, but when she spoke again, there was a lilt to her voice, and the smile had returned in full, "...We should marry tomorrow. My father wouldn't know what to do with himself. Whatever plans he has, they would surely be worthless if he can't separate us." Biting her lip, she shrugged, "That's not to say thwarting his schemes are the only motivation for such haste, of course."

Gavin Elroth​

It was an unusual change, going from Colin's service to Lucianna's. For one, it had never sounded quite so delicate, so... nice when Colin had called him 'his knight'. And Colin certainly wasn't so pleasant to look upon, or listen to. But there was also an unbidden sense of responsibility he hadn't felt before. It wasn't that he doubted her ability to take care of herself - for she seemed undaunted by the tasks ahead of them, and contained herself with impressive strength - but she was a woman... a princess...

And he was not unaware of the difficulties that might arise from those factors... Most specifically because she also happened to be uncommonly attractive. The moon shown overhead and bathed her in a silver glow, her skin, lightly flushed, no doubt from the chill in the air, glistened like porcelain, her hair shimmering like bronze...

Clearing his throat, he turned his eyes forward, nodding, and pulling himself up onto his own mount, started forward, towards the specified path, "It will take some time to get there... And we'll need to take a ship from Remoria to Vast, but I think you'll find the journey quite nice. It's relatively easy, provided you stay out of those troublesome areas... Avoid Mulgrave and Nemco's Wharf."

• Love

RANNULF GRINGOIRE
He tried not to smile, tried not to let his body show how much excitement that gave him. It was a wonderous feeling, one full of pride, vulnerability, and simultaneously - invulnerability. He felt like he could do anything, simply knowing that the one he wanted, wanted him in return.

With a small chuckle, Rannulf settled himself farther into her bed, trying his best not to jostle her too much. When he was comfortable he reached over, wrapping his arm around the one he loved, feeling much more fulfilled than the Presentation would have ever made him feel, more than he ever thought he could after a day such as terrible as this…

"I love you…" Rannulf whispered into her hair. "Let us sleep, dream, and end this day. In the morning I'll speak with Melissant, with my mother and father… and we shall sleep tomorrow as husband and wife…"

LUCIANNA GRINGOIRE
"Then avoid them we shall." Lucianna said with an eager smile.

She set her mare at a canter, falling behind Gavin in a steady rhythm. For a long while they rode in silence, the night birds and the game animals the only sound outside of their horses hooves. Here and there they had to slow and give the horses they're heads, trusting them on the uneven earthen spiral road that led around the mountain Silvernest resided both upon and within. Though the moon was bright, the horses could see better than they. During these moments Luce took turns staring up at the jewel-like night sky and the moon's reflection in Looking Glass Lake below them.

Long passed were the days Luce sneaked out of the castle. Most of the high born ladies had left Silvernest. Either married to fat lords from various places across Fable or the lucky ones, married to fat lords that called Silvern home. She sighed deeply, exhaling the melancholia from her bones and finding that place of excitement once more. Once they were passed the last of the uneven ground, Lucianna urged her mare forward so she was riding side-by-side with Gavin. They'd reach the Long Road shortly, before the moon reached the Western woods, and once upon it, they could let their horses fly.

"Tell me about yourself," Luce said softly as she approached, the mare's shoed-hooves clopping against the rock. "Where in Silvern are you from?"

• Love

Audra Baelston​

"I love you, too..." Audra mused, brightly, through a soft yawn, before laying her head against Rannulf's chest. The events of the day had not been lost on her, and probably never would be, considering how close she had come to what might have been a most terrible fate, but the thought that it had been a catalyst to speeding up the process for her and Rannulf wasn't something she was going to ignore...

It was dire, indeed, and undoubtedly, her father would be furious for their hasty union, but she wasn't going to sit around and become a ploy in his bid for power, either. She might not have been very brave or strong, but she was tired of being intentionally weak and useless. Maybe she would never be a Lady of Silvern... not really - she would always carry part of her home with her... but she could be someone that the people of Silvern would be proud to call their queen.

And to some degree, she wanted to be proud of herself, as well.

With a stretch and another soft yawn, she sank into Rannulf's hold, into the warmth and safety of it and in moments, she was asleep.

Gavin Elroth​

The silence had not bothered him, but there was something otherworldly about the still of the night, particularly when one was traveling towards fates uncertain. When Lucianna finally broke it, he glanced over at her, a brow quirked at her question.

It wasn't typical for nobility to have even the remotest sense of curiosity towards their subjects. He wasn't entirely sure, some days, that Colin had even known his full name, and he had certainly never been concerned to learn anything about where Gavin was from or what his family and life had been like, before he had come into the man's service. Yet her question didn't seem merely a way to fill uncomfortable quiet. She seemed genuinely interested, and there was something refreshing, if not a little odd, in that.

Clearing his throat, he shrugged, "No where special. Up North, a bit. I'm not even sure our village had a proper name, though we called it Prat. It was just my Mum and my sisters. Bethany and Rowena. Ro reminds me a lot of Beyla, honestly. I still half expect to find your sister trailing after us..." Looking back over his shoulder, he chuckled dryly, "But I think I convinced her to stay behind..."

• Love

RANNULF GRINGOIRE
Dawn's lingering gaze struck him early that morning. Rannulf woke slowly, from a soft dream that belied the strenuous day before. For a while he laid there listening to the synchronized beats of his and Audra's heart. Lips pulling up into a smile, he yawned deeply, contently, and without jostling his love too much, rose from the bed. Rolling his shoulders and stretching with a small moan, he made his way to the exterior chambers to summon her handmaiden.

By the time dawn rolled into morning, the scent of a freshly cooked meal wafted throughout Audra's chambers. There was fresh, warm bread filled with nuts, ready to be buttered or lathered with honey and soft, sweet pastries native to Silvern. Within the hearth, the sausage neared the end of it's roasting and Rannulf plucked them out carefully, stacking them upon an old but ornate platter. Off to the side, a bowl filled with a few choice fruits stood waiting for Audra. In love with her he was, but he'd yet to figure out what she preferred to eat when she woke.

Standing from the hearth and retrieving his robe from the chaise, he made his way back to her inner chambers. Rannulf sat on the bed gently, tucked a strand of hair behind Audra's ear and kissed her cheek gently.

A long day stood between them and their happiness and he was ready to seize it.

LUCIANNA GRINGOIRE
Gavin's words were refreshingly sincere. A wave of ease washed through her, settling something she wasn't even aware of harboring. This man wasn't of the nobility and though held knowledge of how to act and react to them, he'd yet to attract their innate venom. None of their sweet coated deception. She smiled at him softly, appreciatively. For more than one reason, truly. But beauty of the heart always won over the beauty of skin.

"Ro must be something special." Lucianna mused, a devious smile sprouting from her lips as he glanced over his shoulder. "You've definitely spirited something in her. She rarely listens to anyone these days. Except for father, of course, hangs on every word he says."

For a moment more they rode along in silence, gathering speed as the sharp turns and unsteady grounds evened out. Large northwood trees slowly sprouted around them, drowning out the moonlight. Her mare, Cloudrunner, nickered once and took the lead. Luce smiled sadly, reminiscing on all the times she and her siblings raced down this straight track of road.

"Do you miss them?" Luce called over. "How often do you get to see them?"

• Love

Audra Baelston​

The warmth of his kiss woke Audra from sleep and as her eyes flickered open to meet his gaze, a smile brightened her cheeks, her fingers reaching up to find his jawline, brushing it tenderly, "My love... Oh, but what a wonderful way to wake."

It wasn't as though she had forgotten it all - not in the least. She had slept, but the dreams had not abated, even held tight in Rannulf's loving arms - her mind replaying what had happened and ending it in the worst possible ways. But it was a new day, a wonderful day, and their future lay ahead of them, as brilliant as the morning sun.

Sitting up, she ran her fingers through her hair, biting at the edge of her lip, before propriety spoke in her mother's voice and she relinquished hold, lowering her hands to her lap, "...You look like a cat that's found a nest of mice... What is it?"

Gavin Elroth​

It was oddly freeing... their journey, and in a way that Gavin hadn't realized he had missed. Talking about it... his family, his life before he'd become a knight, earlier with Beyla and again with Lucianna - it was as though he were reawakening a part of himself that he hadn't felt in so long. Coupled with the coolness of night, the silence, but for the hooffall, and the gentle voice of his companion, he felt almost at peace.

"She's a gem, in a very dark and dull world. I think you would like her. And she would certainly fit in with Beyla." Chuckling softly, he shrugged, "And if those two are indeed alike, it doesn't surprise me that she listens. Truth be told, I was always a bit rebellious in my youth, so I think I understand them. Their spirit... Beth, she's completely different. All grace and poise. She'd never consider disobeying, but she can be a bit of a brat about it, too. Sometimes I think she's the more difficult of the two..."

He felt quiet as their pace quickened, feeling the mount beneath him come alive at the open path and refreshing air. Only when Lucianna addressed him again did he relent a little in speed and looking her way, he smiled faintly, almost a little sadly, "I haven't seen them in a very long time. Too long, to be honest. I miss them... desperately."

• Love

RANNULF GRINGOIRE
He leaned into her caress, let himself get lost in the way it felt to be touched by her. The bliss came and went, albeit slowly, and he came back to reality with a sense of bittersweet regret. Rannulf leaned in and stole a kiss, pulling back quickly with a devious grin.

"I have breakfast ready for us, my love." Rannulf said through his wicked grin. "Cooked it all myself… well, except for the bread… and the pastries… and the fruit."

He laughed, his voice rich and pure and still marred by sleep. "Will you dine with me?"

LUCIANNA GRINGOIRE
She could see the beginning of the Long Road in the distance. It grew nearer with every stride and Luce chewed on her reply for a while, considering the options she had been giving by the station of her birth. She glanced over at him shyly, contemplating…

"If you'd like, before we sail to Vast, I can send a summons back home, requesting your family be moved to the Silvernest. People of your station are allowed such benefits."

She chewed on the inside of her cheek, wondering why she'd gotten so nervous from voicing her opinion. "Think on it…" Luce said softly, her cheeks reddening in the cold.

The Long Road blossomed into view and soon the clopping of their horses hooves echoed louder as the hard-packed gravel turned to cobblestone. Cloudrunner quickened her pace and ignoring decorum, shouted over at Gavin.

"Loser gets first watch, hm?"

And then let Cloudrunner fly.

• Love

Audra Baelston​

Audra laughed as well, shaking her head. It wouldn't have mattered to her if all he had done was ask a servant to bring the breakfast. That he had thought of it at all warmed her heart against the morning chill.

Pushing back the bedclothes, she found her overcoat and swung it on, fastening the deep blue and silver robe at the waist before following Rannulf out into the main chamber. The smells that greeted her were enlivening, and breathing in, a smile found her lips again.

"If you keep this up, Nulf... I'm going to get spoiled. Start expecting this treatment every morning. I'll scarcely fit into my clothes by summer's end."

Settling into a chair by the fireplace, she folded her hands in her lap, the smile twitching away, ever so slightly. It had been Rannulf who had prepared her meal... and there should have been no cause for anxiety... Yet her mind returned, still, to the night prior. For a brief moment, her heart began to race, but with a deep breath, she looked up at her future husband with a warm smile.

"Ready?"

Gavin Elroth​

It wasn't what he'd expected her to say. In truth, a part of him had figured it was just polite small talk or a way to pass the time during their journey. He had been so sure, in fact, that he almost failed to realize that her suggestion had been most genuine.

Blinking, a brow raised nearly to his hairline, he eyed her and a slow smile spread as he shrugged, "I shall write to them, then... Though I doubt my mother would pass up the chance to at least visit. She's always wanted to..."

To see them... His mother and the girls...

Lucianna spoke up again and he stared stupidly for a second or two at her shouting, before it occurred to him he was still sitting in place. Swearing, laughing faintly, he nudged his mount in the side, shooting forward after her.

He had half a mind to beat her, too... But he intended to take first watch, regardless. And intended for that watch to last until morning, if he could.

Last edited:
  • Love

RANNULF GRINGOIRE
Rannulf had seen the hesitation on Audra's face. He couldn't blame her, though a part of him remained indignant that she'd believe he'd let the horrors of yesterday repeat themselves… But he smiled consolingly despite that deep, dark, and secret part of him.

He piled a little of this and a little of that on two silver gilded plates. With a poker he prodded the fire, bringing the flames back to life. Despite the sun rising in earnest now, the room still held a damp chill that delved deep into the bones. Chills led to sickness, especially for those who hadn't been raised in the north.

Once the hearth was blazing once more, he grabbed a bit of sausage from Audra's plate and nibbled on it, a sly smile breaking across his face. He did the same with her goblet of summerwine. The taste was sweet, though not overtly, and held very little alcohol. It was a favorite here in Silvern. The little kick awoke the senses and readied you for the day to come.

"Let us eat, hm?" Rannulf said softly, reaching over to grasp one of Audra's hands. Once he did, a small reddish-pink flush crept over his cheeks. "I'm… excited for today. Truly. I-I've never been in love, let alone blessed to be in love with someone as exquisite as you."

LUCIANNA GRINGOIRE
Cloudrunner was one of the fastest horses in the north, or so she liked to believe. The Long Road was twice as long as any road in the north. It was the only route to Silvernest and soon they'd need to ride through the capital, Silvara. Thankfully, they rode in the dead of the night and only the unsavory would be awake at this hour. She glanced behind her, at her beautiful knight, and realized that she wasn't afraid…

Unafraid of anything, as long as he was at her side.

The thought was unnerving and satisfying all at once, and Lucianna, who prided herself in her rationality, realized just how dangerous of a situation this quest could become...

She urged her mare forward, intending to give the knight a real challenge. And yet, deep down, a part of her wondered if she was running away from all her responsibilities.

• Love

Audra Baelston​

It was easier to forget all that had happened, surrounded by the warmth of her fire and the comfort of Rannulf's company. She was grateful that he had thought of it, really, and not at all surprised, all the same. He seemed to know her, inside and out, despite her only having known him a little while. It was as though time had slowed down and sped up all the same, and made such sense out of their love, when it shouldn't have made any sense at all.

Sitting down, she laughed softly at him as he picked at her plate and goblet. She knew he was teasing her, but she couldn't be upset, for at the same time he was also reassuring her, and with a shake of her head, she pulled her goblet to her and took a draw from it, her brow lifting as she watched him over the rim.

There was a slyness to her gaze, a playful air that she had not shown for some time, and as she set the cup back down, she let her eyes fall to her plate and began to dig in, "I am overwhelmed, my love. I never thought it possible that you could make me so happy. Make me feel so loved. I wish with my heart that my father knew... that he could see us together. Then maybe he wouldn't have..."

Taking a breath, she shook her head and waved the thought away, "None of that. This is to be the happiest day of my life, if all goes according to plan. And what... my darling, is that plan, exactly? "

Gavin Elroth​

Her excitement was contagious, in such a way that Gavin had not felt in a long while. Colin was, to all intents and purposes, a miserable, shrewd man, with very little sense of adventure or fun. He was a bore, in every way possible, and he made it his point in life to do absolutely nothing unless perfectly necessary.

He should have discouraged her, told her it wasn't wise to ride so fast, particularly at night, that she shouldn't get ahead of him, but the words refused to come and instead, he found himself awash with a smile, then a laugh at her antics, kicking the flank of his horse to spur him faster, yet.

He wouldn't catch her, that much he knew - her horse was well trained and trusted her, and his seemed less suited for speed, but it hardly bothered him. Seeing her... the rush of freedom, the wind in her hair and a smile on her face, he was almost glad to lose. It was a dangerous feeling, for she should not have invoked anything in him but a sense of responsibility, yet there it was...

"Alright!" He called, finally, when they had gone a good mile or so, "You've won! I can't keep up and I'll wear this poor beast to his grave if I try too much longer to save my pride! I concede..."

• Love

RANNULF GRINGOIRE
"To be married by sun down, of course." Rannulf said mischievously, leaning over to leave a trail of soft kisses across Audra's cheek.

He was happy, more than happy to be truthful, that she reacted the way she did. His eastern princess was so much more than he could have ever asked for, much and more than he ever could deserve. In his heart he clung to that happiness, vowed to himself that he would wake each and every morning from here on out with a smile on his face…

For he had something not many could claim they did: A love so tangible he could feel it in his soul.

Rannulf kissed his beloved once more and then turned to his own plate. He ate his fill quickly, hungrier than he first thought. He helped himself to second servings of almost everything. The summerwine washed down the last bit of his buttered pastry and he belched -- embarrassing himself immediately -- and then jumped out of his skin as a hard knock rented through the inner chambers.

Before he could even stand, Audra's handmaid rushed from her quarters and opened the heavy, silver gilded door. He couldn't say that he was surprised to see Melissant. She usually saw to her own duties personally, and he stood, expecting her to call him forward. Yet, when he did stand, the Prui` Druen shook her head and nodded towards Audra.

"I would like to speak with you, Audra. Privately, if you'll indulge a lonely woman such as myself."

LUCIANNA GRINGOIRE
"Okay, okay!" Luce said with a triumphant laugh.

She pulled back on Cloudrunner's reins, slowing her down as effectively as she could. It seemed Luce wasn't the only one who enjoyed the rush of a nighttime run… Wild and free, especially of the responsibilities that cloaked her every waking moment. Slowly, her mare slowed down and she glanced behind her. She waited a minute or two for Gavin to catch up and then shot another mischievous grin his way.

Luce laughed again. She could feel it well up in the bottom of her stomach, travel up and out of her throat. What exactly made her feel so joyous was beyond recognition but she felt wonderful. She glanced up at the skies, at the brilliant freckles of constellations. Would the stars be as beautiful in the east?

"What's the farthest you've ever traveled from home?" Luce inquired softly, her gaze still trained upwards. "I know I should feel afraid… I mean, I suppose I am nervous… But I'm excited more than anything." She let out a small laugh, her eyes seeking that of her knight. "Is that normal?"

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.