The Weight of the Crown: A King's Edict

Status
Not open for further replies.

kU2qigz.png
[bg=#C0B7B2]
As the older of the two princesses spoke up, Gavin nodded faintly. It was a wise decision on her part to hang on to some wariness... He was still the unknown factor, and while he knew on a personal level he was no threat, the family hardly did. It was refreshing, really, to see a young woman with her head in the proper place, for once. And he might have said as much, had the king's interjection not floored him so thoroughly.

Turning to the man, Gavin couldn't quite keep his astonishment internalized. It had been his duty, certainly, to aid king and crown, but he hadn't done it to impress. Yet how often had he dreamed of a position that meant something. Guarding Colin was a little like watching a lame horse sitting in the stables... there was simply no just cause for affording protection to someone who was, frankly, too heinous and irritating to cause harm to.

Without meaning to, perhaps, Gavin's lip curved in a smooth smile, his broad shoulders collecting in a shrug, "Hell, Your Majesty... No call to think on it. It would be my greatest honor. Though I imagine it would be best to wait until after the feast to break the news to Master Colin." For as useless as the man was, he could be an unmitigated bag of wind... The fit he was sure to throw over Gavin's new position would undoubtedly cause quite a scene.

Returning his gaze to the elder princess, he bowed his head, "...Lead the way."
[/bg]

BBkOgHq.png
[bg=#C0B7B2]
"Oh, Rannulf..." Whispering softly, Audra let her arms come around his shoulders. They felt heavy and stiff, but with each passing moment the feeling began to fade. Gingerly, she traced her fingertips through his hair and without another word, she let him cry. Still having such little understanding over what happened, she could only imagine that her state had seemed quite dire and while she had had no doubt of his affections for her to begin with, it brought a knot to her own throat to see such genuine emotion, such raw passion from the man.

Only when he had pulled away a little did she speak, her own voice soft, laced with confusion and concern. "I... I don't remember much. I was dressed, then your mother and yours sisters, they arrived... and we went down to the Great Hall. I sat to wait for you. The last thing I remember was you coming in at a rush. You seemed so frightened and I thought something terrible had happened."

Ironic, she supposed, as it seemed something had happened... to her.

Frowning softly, she perked upright a little, "Hang on. There was... there was a man. A servant. He brought me wine. I thought it was a little strange, as I'm not accustomed to anyone being served before the king, but then I'm not entirely familiar with Silvern's customs yet. But now that I think about it, it had a funny taste... like metal. And the color was odd. I thought maybe it was just not a wine I'd seen, back home."

Leaning back, she looked up at him and with steadier hands, she reached up to cup his cheeks. She was still all too aware that they had an audience, but a small part of her... the part of her, she supposed, that was a little too aware how close she had come to a rather untimely fate, couldn't be made to care about propriety.

With her thumbs, she brushed the moisture from his cheeks, her own eyes dampening at the sight of his tears, "...I'm sorry if I scared you."
[/bg]

• Love
Reactions: rissa

Lucianna Gringoire
As Gavin accepted his new position, Lucianna smiled, perhaps a bit too graciously. Beyla looked at her, eyes flashing mischievously, and Luce ignored her. Catching one last glance of Audra and Rannulf, a pang of jealously rippling through her chest, she turned to exit the vault.

"Come," Lucianna said to Beyla, hand outstretched for her to clasp it. She turned to the dark haired knight, "Memorize the way to the alcove; Silvern is a mass of catacomb-like tunnels and passages, it is far too easy to get lost within its center… which is where we're headed."

Leaving the vault with Beyla in tow, she turned right, the opposite way they came. It was a short walk before they came to the end of the passage. They could make a left or a right, and looking over her shoulder at Gavin expectantly, she turned left and continued down the torch-bearing passageway. From there it was only a short distance to the hidden alcove; they made two more lefts, a right, and then up a small set of stairs. To anyone but the royal family, or loyal servants, it would only look like a dead end. But Luce, having been raised in Silvernest all her life, knew exactly what to look for.

Raising her hand to the wall, she felt the rough grain and cut of the stone, searching for a certain location. The small, dome-like room wasn't well lit, but that was the point. A single torch lit the area and Luce glanced over her shoulder, running her hand along the wall as she did so. "There are many places like this, Gavin, all throughout the palace…" Once she found the small depression in the stone, she urged him forward. "Rest your hand against the wall, here… do you feel it? The small indentation? Give it a push and see what it reveals."

Rannulf Gringoire
It was comfort as he never felt before. As she ran delicate fingers through his shoulder length hair and wrapped loving arms around his broad shoulders, Rannulf wondered if this is what true love was meant to feel like. Instead of the crushing vulnerability he'd just previously felt, the solace she provided wiped it all away and made him realize that they were one heart, one soul, and vulnerability was something that came along with the love that they shared. He thought it odd, how close they'd become, how hard he'd fallen for the southern woman who held him, but he just didn't care… and allowed himself to feel vulnerable, if only for a few moments.

Listening carefully, and feeling a slight flush of his cheeks as Audra wiped the dampness from his eyes in front of both his father and Melissant, Rannulf once again felt that telltale sign of instinct or intuition creep into his stomach. A servant… Rannulf thought to himself, his gaze detaching itself unwillingly from Audra as he looked over to his father.

Just as he opened his mouth to speak, Rolland, Lord Commander of the Royal Guard, came bursting through the doors. He saluted, chest heaving slightly, as if he'd ran the length of Silvern, and took a moment to compose himself. "Your Grace, we have--" He said, speaking to his father. He glanced around the room and when he caught sight of Audra, the relief in his face was palpable. "Praise the gods!"

"You have, what?" Rannulf inquired, the feeling in his stomach growing.

"Yes, Your Grace, I apologize… We've found someone, though he refuses to talk. A word of caution though, you might recognize who the culprit is. The other guards and I, well, we don't believe he was acting alone but we've yet to find anyone else. Your Grace," he said directly to his father. "I've sent out a five man patrol as you've asked and I've given them orders to not return until well after daybreak, just incase whoever's behind this is laying low for the night…"

"Someone I might… recognize?" Rannulf said slowly, his mind's eye flashing the faces of everyone he knew to live in the castle, and all the Lords and Ladies who had arrived for the Presentation. "Who did this, Rolland?" He demanded finally, fear morphing into anger that laced its way through his veins. "Who?!"

"Rannulf," His father said, his voice deep and commanding. "You're to take Audra back down to the feast and-"

"Excuse me?" Rannulf said angrily, his hold on Audra tightening. "After everything she's been through you expect me to take her back into the Great Hall?"

At once he realized his tone was harsher than he meant it to be and the flash of anger in his father's eyes told him not to argue. Yet, how could he not? Poison or not, Audra had come terribly close to losing her life and whether or not she was by his side, he refused to let her come to anymore harm. How could he expect of them to enter that room, on this very same night?

"As I was saying, you will take her downstairs and you will present her to the nobles who've been waiting." He glanced down at Audra, his face softening. "My lady, I know you've been through a lot this evening, but you've already shown you have what it takes to be one of us… I know it's difficult, but the Presentation is a generations old ceremony and you must attend, just as Rannulf must be by your side. I'd advise you -- both of you -- to drink nothing else, just incase whoever did this contaminated other liquids. Rannulf, you will be briefed, as will you my lady, on who committed this treason, but emotions are too riled for you to accompany us… and besides, you have matters to attend.

"As per tradition, Melissant will be there shortly to conduct and conclude the ceremony. You are both dismissed."

kU2qigz.png
[bg=#C0B7B2]
It was an all new experience for Gavin, ironic considering he'd been accepted into his new post all of roughly ten seconds... but the sense of purpose was nearly overwhelming. He wasn't hunting down bottles of mead at the crack of dawn, or locating buttons that had blown off a man's waistcoat. These were things a man of his position strove for... the reason he had become a knight in the first place. It was hard to keep the grin from his face, but he had some semblance of sense over propriety, anyway.

Following the sisters from the room, he made careful note of each twist and turn along their journey. The palace was complex and it would take some getting used to, certainly, but he was nothing if not a quick learner, and it intrigued him to no end, the idea of discovering these secret alcoves and pathways. If he hadn't been enthralled before, he certainly needed no further inspiration, now.

They arrived, at last, within a dome-shaped room and Lucianna instructed him forward. Gavin wasted no time joining the princess by the wall and reaching out, he pressed his fingertips into the space she'd instructed, feeling the small indent, invisible to the naked eye, but inescapable by touch. A brow quirked and pressing in with a little pressure, he stepped back at the click, the stone shifting, allowing a gap in the slab that slid aside to reveal a dark, narrow tunnel.

"I'll be damned..." Gaze shifting to the elder princess, Gavin smiled faintly, "And these exist all over the palace?"

Taking the torch, he gestured Lucianna and Beyla into the passage, "After you, please."
[/bg]

BBkOgHq.png
[bg=#C0B7B2]
Audra could see the change of emotion in Rannulf's face... from fear and distress, to anger. Were the circumstances reversed, no doubt she would have shared his frustration, but in the end they were still obligated to perform their duties. Life did not stop because of tragedy or turmoil. They had a purpose, and that purpose needed to be fulfilled, no matter the state of things.

But that didn't stop her heart from pounding as Avenius instructed them to return to the Great Hall. Absently, she claimed Rannulf's hand, her grip tight and shaky. Going back there, in her mind, seemed a task too much to bear. Rannulf's protests were brushed aside, however, and Audra knew it wouldn't do to voice her own. The only comfort, it seemed, was that they had apparently apprehended someone in relation to her poisoning.

She didn't need the warning about drinking nothing... she would not drink or eat, not a thing, not until she was absolutely positive that everything was safe. She wasn't entirely sure she could stomach much, as it was. Her nerves were frayed, her mind spinning with all manner of terrifying thoughts and doubts. It was all she could do not to shake apart, clinging to Rannulf like a life line.

They were dismissed and with a soft frown, Audra looked up to Rannulf with a shake of her head, "...It... it's alright. I'm fine. I... I'm sure it will all be fine." Fingers lacing through his, she pressed a weak smile to her lips, "As long as you are with me, Dear Heart, I have nothing to fear."
[/bg]

• Love

Beyla Gringoire
She could see the way Luce looked at the knight from Western Hill. Beyla couldn't help but chuckle, despite having to agree, he was much more fair than both of Lord Greylock's sons. When Gavin grabbed the torch, she chuckled again; she'd been through this tunnel too many times to count. She knew exactly how many steps it took to reach the room -thirty four- and she'd never once taken the torch to guide her way. The benefit of growing up within the palace, perhaps.

Leading the way, Beyla rushed into the room, nerves still eating away at her belly. She couldn't help but wonder why someone would want to hurt Rannulf's bride or why they'd chosen today of all days to do so, knowing that the Presentation would herald all kinds of foot traffic within Silvernest. Glancing over her shoulder once she'd taken her twenty-seventh step, she briefly wondered if they'd shut the passageway behind them. She couldn't tell though, the torch had a way of producing night-blindness, and instead of worrying about something else she took the final seven steps at a dash. Beyla hadn't been in this room in forever and under any other circumstance she'd be excited. It'd seem tactless though, so she kept her mood subtle as she got on her hands and knees and bent down to get a bird's eye view of the Great Hall.

The room was actually an overhang which, when glancing down at the far corner of the room where the floor had been expertly removed, you could see the Great Hall below. Beyla, on already scuffed up hands and knees, took the first look. The hall was filled with bodies of all kinds of shapes and sizes, and if she weren't mistaken, she could see the giant forms of Lord Greylock and his sons, eating roasted quail not far from the dais. Glancing over her shoulder and scooting over to make room for the knight, she voiced her worries out loud.

"We might not be able to see much, I'm afraid. The hall is packed full of people."

Rannulf Gringoire
Walking through the threshold of Melissant's vault with Audra in tow, Rannulf led the way back down to the Great Hall. Anger laced his veins and his vision was clouded with red but deep down, he knew his father was right, and that made his anger double. The Presentation was a ceremony for the people, noble and common alike, and they had every right to witness their future King and Queen. Yet, after all that had transpired, it seemed like a fools job to deliver his princess back into the snake's den.

With a sigh, he glanced down at Audra, her blue eyes clear and determined, golden locks bouncing with every step. His anger ebbed, just by looking at her, and he heaved out a sigh, squeezing her hand for reassurance. The descent down the servants staircase was met with curious eyes from the posted guards at the Great Hall entrance. No one mentioned it however, and so Rannulf stood, just outside the Great Hall, waiting for their announcement. Once more he glanced down at Audra, wishing he could sense what she was thinking. His heart thudded against his chest and with a deep breath, the announcer clearing his throat as he did, bent down and gave her a quick kiss against her cheek.

"Everything will be alright, my lady, I promise you of that." He whispered softly.

"I Present to you, the Crown Prince Rannulf Gringoire and his betrothed, Princess Audra Baelston of Cain'Loren, future Queen of Silvern."

With his chin raised and his hand clasped around Audra's in a vice-like grip, he treaded through the Great Hall, eyes straight forward, towards his mother who had stood from her delegated seat from the dais. He couldn't help but notice, however, the glaring faces of those he'd shouldered out of his way when Audra had collapsed. Ignoring it as best he could, he led her up to the dais, and with a slight bow to his mother, took his seat next to Audra's place as the honored guest. Silence fell around the Great Hall once the pair were seated, and raising a glass, mindful of what could happen, toasted the Great Hall.

"I apologize for the wait, honored friends. Now, if you will, let's toast to new beginnings, new allies, and my lovely bride, Audra Baelston of Cain'Loren."

kU2qigz.png
[bg=#C0B7B2]
The younger princess darted forward, in the tunnels, the air of excitement that surrounded her nearly contagious. Were the situation not so grim, he might have possessed a lighter disposition, himself. As it was, he couldn't avoid the twitch of a smile as she overran him, through the small tunnel to the room beyond. He might've chided her for getting ahead of him, but considering his position wasn't even official yet, it seemed a little premature.

That, and he had never seen much point in touting any authority when it came to his charges. Colin would hardly have listened to him, anyhow, but it ultimately seemed senseless to try and win respect with pride or arrogance, or an unseated temper. He'd known her so little a while, yet, but he had a sense that Beyla was the sort to enjoy a little freedom, and Gavin was all too aware that rebellion was all the more likely when too much restriction was enforced.

Setting the torch in the wall sconce, he first held out his arm to aid Lucianna down into the sunken observation overhang, then stepped in himself. Coming alongside Beyla, he crouched down, peering through the hole before glancing over to the princess, "Tell me if you see him... The man you saw earlier. Or anything out of the ordinary... And you as well, My Lady." He added, dark blue gaze flickering up to Lucianna.
[/bg]

BBkOgHq.png
[bg=#C0B7B2]
The warmth of his lips to her cheek warmed her heart as well, though not as greatly as the spoken promise, a smile forming as she looked up at him, nodding.

And for approximately twenty seconds or so… the amount of time it took them to make it to their seats, Audra felt the heavy weight of anxiety lifted. Then their goblets appeared, and her heart sank. The liquid inside the silver cup was a vibrant red, smelling strongly of currants, but this did little to bolster her courage, her hand trembling as she reached for the stem.

Beside her, Rannulf gave a toast, but staring at the vivid red swirling inside the cup, Audra could barely make out his words. His own cup was raised, and propriety dictated she ought to do the same, but she sat nearly frozen, gripped by the sudden overwhelming sense that she would find her drink laced once more. Panic swelled, and the goblet tipped from her hands, the contents sloshing across the surface of the table, the cup clattering to the floor.

With a jolt, Audra straightened in her seat, turning a fearful gaze to Rannulf, "Forgive me. I… it slipped."
[/bg]

Lucianna Gringoire
She trembled at his touch… it was silly, a wanton fantasy fit for a barmaid, not the first born Princess of Silvern. And yet… there was something in those dark blue eyes that drew her to the northernmost knight, or rather, to the newly enlisted Knight of the Kingsguard. She let go of his hand rather reluctantly and focused on the room she rarely entered. Secret passageways and tunnels had been exciting in her youth, but she knew them all by heart; even ones Beyla had not yet discovered. All they did was remind her of the past, of secrets the stone could not tell, of the magic long lost to the realm.

Lucianna sighed lightly, as not to disturb her sister and the knight from their important duties. She longed to be more like Beyla; dirt prone and fond of breaking not only rules but tradition as well. Luce had been raised with a tighter hand, however, and she padded over to the sunken viewport on silent feet. She hesitated for a long moment before finally succumbing to the pressure. Lowering herself onto her knees, Lucianna gathered her skirting politely as she did so, she leaned forward ever so slightly to gaze below.

The first thing she realized was that her arm brushed the knight's and then breaking from her wanton fantasy, she searched below, searching for something out of the ordinary. Which was made difficult by the Presentation… hundreds of lords and ladies had arrived for the traditional affair, and there were hundreds of faces she didn't immediately recognize.

"There!" Beyla said a little too loudly, causing her to jump in fright. "That man with the blue sash! He's not wearing the same clothes as before but I swear that's him!"

Rannulf Gringoire
Rannulf hid his wince of displeasure, but he made no moves or angry motions to his beloved. He could scarcely imagine how she must feel… and yet here they stood, on the precipice of a great change only they were meant to take. One they'd must need to take together. He waved away the flurry of servants who'd rushed forward to clean the spilled wine off the High Table, and took a long gulp from his goblet. He spoke some more words to the on-lookers from the crowd but for the life of him he could not hear the words exiting from his own mouth. His heart thundered between his ears until finally, after a minute or so, nothing happened.

He took another sip before handing the goblet to Audra with a hastened kiss upon her brow, hopefully settling some of the nerves that frayed their way into his southern princess. He doubted a single kiss could do so much, but currently it was all he could afford… If it were up to him the Presentation would have been rescheduled and all the lords and ladies shunned from the castle until the culprits were caught.

Rannulf glanced down at Audra, his blue eyes full of concern for her and determination to see the Presentation through till it's end. He looked at the goblet expectantly and though he felt terribly cruel, he knew she must drink from the goblet. It was, after all, tradition.

kU2qigz.png
[bg=#C0B7B2]
As a guard, Gavin was acutely aware of most of what occurred around him. It was, quite literally, his job to maintain an alertness in all factors and miss no details. But he was also accustomed to working with a man... a fat oaf of a man with very little sense of what it was to concern himself with others. Women were unfamiliar creatures, filled with horrifyingly complicated emotions and a damnable ability to twist a touch of their hand, or a look of the eye and drive men to madness.

The way she stared at him was unnerving... as if she could read to the very ends of his soul, see straight through him, into his thoughts. Her arm had brushed his... that was all, and yet long after she had shifted, he could feel the softness of her, his heart thudding uncomfortably in his chest at the memory of her expression.

Beyla cried out and infuriatingly, Gavin felt himself jump at her exclamation. He turned his eyes to the viewing hole, following her gesture, before bringing himself to his feet, "You two stay here... I'm going down to inquire about his invitation." Grabbing the hilt of his boot knife, he pulled it free and held it out, carefully, to Lucianna, "If anyone comes through this tunnel that you don't recognize... you make them regret it, hmm?"

Smiling gingerly, he turned and slipped out. Already, he had been mapping out the palace in his mind - those places he had gone, anyway, and as he retraced his steps, he added the secret passage to the map, committing it to memory. Making his way back down to the Great Hall, however, proved a challenge and he worried that by the time he arrived, the blue-sashed man would be gone. But make it, he did, and as he entered the room, he found the majority of the crowd engrossed with the happy couple on the dais... all but one...

Grinning, Gavin stepped in the way of the man, a brow quirked as he looked down at him, fingers scooping around the hilt of his sword, "...It's rude to leave during the ceremony, y'know. Bad luck for the couple. I'm going to need you to come with me... King would like a word."
[/bg]

BBkOgHq.png
[bg=#C0B7B2]
Tears collected at the corner of her eyes as Rannulf leaned in to press a kiss to her forehead. He doubted the work it might do, but had little idea, in truth, how powerful a thing it was. She knew the dangers at seeming too anxious... how it might reflect on him, on his family, but try as she might, her fingers could not quell their trembling, her heart it's pounding. Yet that kiss was a reminder... one desperately needed, that he would not allow anything to happen to her. Not in his presence. And it was enough, for now...

Taking a breath, she reached again for the goblet and smiling delicately, brought it to her lips. There were no metallic notes, no strange bitterness. Poison, she supposed, would have been a fool's choice a second time that evening, and the king had indicated that the culprit had been discovered, after all...

Yet that they had tried at all during so public an affair was a great concern. It was but a sleeping drought, and one she imagined wasn't intended to have worked quite so effectively or quickly, but all the same, if they had wanted her dead... dead she would be. The thought was terrifying... clarifying.

Still, they could not be seen fractured by the attempt... she knew as much from her father's teachings... To reveal fear or uncertainty was to reveal weakness, and weakness was a hole in which the enemy could nest and grow.

Lowering the goblet when she had drunk from the contents, she looked to Rannulf with a brighter smile and gently, reached to take hold of his hand, her fingers weaving through his, before leaning forward to press a kiss to his cheek.
[/bg]

Rannulf Gringoire

He could still feel the heat of her kiss. It had been hours, stuck inside a side-chamber while his father and Prui`Druen interrogated the culprit. Hours since he last saw his princess. It all happened at once; the Western knight had shown up at the feast, nearly unsheathing his sword at a random servant and then proceeded to escort him out. The knights former employer, Colin Vasser, had stood up and looked around stupidly as the man left, as if he couldn't believe his eyes.

He could have laughed, as he watched Vasser turn after his ex-guard and then back at him. And again… and again, boggle eyed and red in the face. Yet he knew, at least in essence, what the exchange meant and the anger from before crept back into his veins. The more he thought about it, the angrier he got. Angry for what happened, angry for not being the one to capture the men responsible, and angry for not being able to do anything now. Duties came first, after all.

And this was the Presentation. His presentation. No, he thought to himself, shaking his head and looking fondly down at his bride-to-be. It's hers. And then a swarm of sadness and guilt formed within his gut and he glanced away, but took hold of her hand and squeezed it gently. There he stayed, for the next half hour, until he could reasonably end the feast.

And two hours later, here he was, still waiting. Except this time alone.

A heartbeat later the wooden door swung open and his father, Melissant, and the Western knight walked out of the main chamber, each face a mask of a different horror. Rannulf swallowed hard but he couldn't bring himself to speak.

"Follow me," His father said with a grunt. "The lot of you."

Beyla Gringoire
The youngest princess of Silvern hadn't inherited any of her mother's couth. She paced about the King's solar on two bare feet, once or twice on her hands even, as they waited for them all to return. They, as in her queen mother, her sister Lucianna (who still had that knight's blade), and Rannulf's southern princess. And Rolland, of course, he had escorted them all to the solar after Rannulf ended the feast.

And that was ages ago.

Beyla glanced up at the young blonde. She had her head cocked to the side and one eyebrow raised skeptically. The young princess nodded to herself slowly, she was pretty enough to be a queen. She hoped she was smart enough to be one too. After all, Beyla thought to herself, what are southerners taught? If it were her, in a new place after being poisoned, she'd be packing up her things and leaving. Not to mention she wouldn't have left at all…

"Why did you come?" Beyla asked confusedly. There were no traces of hostility, anger or judgement; just pure confusion and the innocence of the youth. "Why'd you come to Silvern?"

• Love
Reactions: Elle Joyner

kU2qigz.png
[bg=#C0B7B2]

He'd put on a good front - that much was apparent in the simple fact that he'd even been admitted into the interrogation, but as things went, consciously, Gavin was terrified. He'd been the guard of a spoiled, idiotic, pompous twit of a man... the likes of whom none bothered to concern themselves with. He would never have faced so much more than verbal abuse, and that undoubtedly would have been all too well deserved.

To be a part of something so dangerous - the life of a maiden threatened - was thrilling, but not in any way he'd ever hoped for. It was new to him... New and frightening. He did his best to appear calm and diligent, but the horrors that were uncovered were many, and what they meant... what they represented were almost enough to make him miss Colin.

Almost.

But it was also an opportunity. One he had never imagined coming to him. It was a chance to make of himself what he'd always intended. Not a nursemaid to a rotten, childish Lord... but a Knight. True and noble and good. He wasn't even entirely sure he understood all that he'd overheard, but what was clear was things were turning - twisting in ways unanticipated for any in Silvern...

And he was going to be there to lend aid...
[/bg]

BBkOgHq.png
[bg=#C0B7B2]
As she waited, Audra grew more and more anxious. Whatever was happening, whether it had been intended from the start or not, she was a part of it, and the thought made her heart ache. It was a feeling that somehow, even unexpectedly, she had brought strife to Silvern, to her beloved. These were to become her people, and while perhaps she had not begun her endeavor as selflessly as she might have hoped, she had grown, even over the short few weeks she had been with Rannulf. She had grown, and her desires had changed...

Truth be told, she'd hardly thought of Cain'loren at all. Her home seemed so far away, now, but it was more than distance... it was the way that she felt in Silvern. Back in her own kingdom, she was the middling daughter - little more than a political bargaining tool - and she had always been understanding of this, never expecting much more than to be married off, to be someone's wife, eventually someone's mother.

But coming to Silvern, seeing what life could be when one was loved... really, truly and completely loved had altered her perceptions of everything. Cain'loren seemed so dark, so sad, now that she had something to look forward to. It was girlish and silly, that line of thinking, but it couldn't be helped and as Beyla looked to her and spoke, Audra managed a small weary smile at the question, almost having anticipated it before she'd asked.

"...Duty, I suppose. My... my home is not like yours, Beyla. There isn't much worth in being a woman... even when that woman is also a princess. I knew, younger than even you, what my purpose would be. I came because this is what I was born for... to open doors for my father, to allow for alliances, so that Cain'loren is safe and protected on all fronts." Lowering her gaze, her expression softened as she fiddled with the edge of a lace glove, "Sometimes, though, I suppose things... even obligations... work out for the best. I got lucky. Incredibly lucky..."

Looking up again, she shrugged, offering a gentle smile, "I love him. Your brother... But more than that... I love this place. I never thought I would... I dared not. But it came so easily... and I would not change it. No matter what comes of any of this."

[/bg]

• Love

Lucianna Gringoire

Lucianna sat there in shock, the words uttered by the southern princess a complete surprise. It was obvious, of course, that the two shared intense feelings for the other; but to hear it spoken of so plainly and to the point was almost startling. She glanced up at her mother, who sat regally next to her father's gilded chair. They met each other's eye and shared a knowing look.

"So that Cain'loren is safe and protected on all fronts."

Luce repeated the words in her head slowly, wondering if Audra would place her ancestral home over her new one if the need ever rose…

"Good," Beyla said slowly, her brows still furrowed in concentration. "That you love Nulfy, I mean. He deserves to be loved. He's the best brother…"

Luce couldn't help but smile at the innocence of her words and then immediately found her smile wiped off her face at Beyla's next words.

"Cain'loren doesn't sound like a very nice place, princess. I'm glad I'm not from there. They shouldn't treat their women so badly," Her little sister scoffed, pushed a strand of dark brown hair behind her ear and then laughed. "I mean, if not for them they wouldn't have any babies."

"Oh gods." Luce whispered, stuck between being horrified and not bursting into a fit of giggles. She clutched her stomach and turned her head sharply, laughing into her hand unconvincingly.

"Now, now Beyla." Her mother said faintly, a hint of a smile gracing her lips. "You shouldn't speak ill of Cain'loren. Silvern and Cain'loren will soon be sisters by marriage and if the gods are good, by blood."

Beyla huffed and shrugged, turning to bounce her way to Rolland. The Commander stood at attention, as usual, his shoulders straighter than an arrow, his silver-gilded armor dazzling in the fire and candlelight. She blushed and glanced away, picturing the Western Knight in the armor as she did so. Without a doubt it would be a lovely sight… too lovely a sight. Lucianna sighed and fiddled with the knife he'd given her earlier… A sharp blade, well honed, and the handle was oiled frequently. It fit perfectly in her hand and as ridiculous as it sounded… she loathed the thought of giving it back.

Rannulf Gringoire
As he, his father, the knight, and Melissant stalked through the palace, cutting through the labyrinth is ways not many could, Rannulf's mind turned to the worst. They were awfully quiet, as one naturally would be after such… things. A shiver traveled through his body as he imagined what happened behind those closed doors and though he'd never admit it, was thankful he'd been left outside them to wait.

The lack of information on the situation however, was driving him crazy… He needed to know, he needed to know why these people wanted to make Audra… fall asleep. His mind turned around the possibilities as their footsteps took them closer to his father's solar. When they finally arrived, Rolland opened the door without hesitation, his uncanny ability weirding him out as always.

The first person he saw was his mother, half curled on the Queen's bench, head resting against the gilded chair belonging to his father. Beyla was on the ottoman, lying cat-curled, her eyes framed by thick lashes that were half shut. His sister sat across from his Audra, her feet tucked beneath her. If it weren't so late and the matter so dear, his mother would surely be scolding her. Something something dress… Rannulf watched Luce's eyes flick towards the knight behind him, her cheeks reddening. Frowning, he glanced at him too, wondering at the significance behind the look.

But then he caught the eye of his princess… and he stalked over to her, taking a seat next beside her and wrapping his arm around her delicate shoulders. Rannulf pressed a kiss to her cheek and then looked over to his father, waiting for him to begin. His heart raced in his chest and he felt a tightening in his stomach.

This act of treason had ignited something within Silvern… and Rannulf was unsure if they could halt it before it ran it's course.

With a great sigh, his father took his place in his silver and gold gilded chair and motioned for the Western Knight, Melissant, and Rolland to sit themselves. When they did, he finally spoke, his gravelly tone grave and distant. His mother intertwined her hand with his as he finished speaking, leaning over absentmindedly to place a kiss against his shoulder.

"Tell me your thoughts of what you heard, dear man… do you think what he said is true about Cain'loren?" King Avenius said to the knight sadly, glancing over at Audra with sad eyes.

Last edited:
  • Love

kU2qigz.png
[bg=#C0B7B2]
Moving into the Solar, Gavin found a seat, his eyes drifting briefly around the room, pausing for a moment longer on the elder princess as he took in the sight of the blade she held in her hands. It was encouraging to see she'd held on to it, given all that was happening. Idly, he wondered if she knew how to use it, though he had little doubt...

Gavin's brow quirked as the king addressed him, his lip twitching down into a frown. He was accustomed to being put on the spot, but generally it was to assuage some noble woman's father, after Colin left a sour impression on his daughter. Being asked his input about something so pivotal was almost unnerving, and it took him a moment to process his response. His own eyes shifted to the foreign princess briefly, before returning to Avenius.

"While it would explain the boldness of such an attack, it could very well be a trick, Sire. It would make sense for any enemies of either Silvern or Cain'loren to attempt to stop this union between the kingdoms, pitting one against the other, and what better way than threatening the life of Prince Rannulf's betrothed? Making it appear as though Silvern were responsible would undoubtedly cause tension... But it's impossible to tell, without more information. Perhaps... perhaps an envoy ought to be sent to Cain'loren, to speak with King Ordin?"
[/bg]

BBkOgHq.png
[bg=#C0B7B2]
Beyla wasn't worng, though Audra supposed it probably seemed much worse to the young princess than it would to someone who was accustomed to it. She'd grown up understanding her place, and it had never really bothered her... Though she had wondered what it might be like if Cain'loren took a more liberal stance, like Bravgara or S'priga did.

Yet what was the point in such curiosities? She had a purpose and it was a good one, she had gotten lucky... Why should she ask for or want more?

Rannulf and the others returned and as he sank down beside her and pressed a kiss to her cheek, and for a moment, Audra had allowed herself to feel relief. They had captured those responsible and she wanted desperately to believe that it was over. But she had seen their expressions, seen the look that King Avenius gave her and as he spoke, as the Western knight responded, a weight settled over her not akin to anything she had ever felt before.

It wasn't difficult to understand the context, even for someone generally removed from political notions, and in horror, Audra rose from her seat, "...You... you can't think that my father is responsible for this. He lied to you... that man from the banquet. He must have. There... there's no way that my father would..."

Looking down to Rannulf, her eyes stinging, she shook her head, "You can't believe this. That Cain'loren would do something like this. It doesn't make sense. All my father has ever talked about, since as far back as I can remember is how desperately they needed allies. Why would he risk all of that? Why...?"
[/bg]

• Love

Rannulf Gringoire

"We don't know what to believe, darling." King Avenius said sadly. There was a pregnant pause before he continued. "It wasn't just one man, Audra, but three. And they all uttered the same words, separately… after a time."

Rannulf watched his father shake his head and he felt himself do the same as he repeated Audra's fumbling words in his mind. No, how could he believe her own father would do something such as this? And yet after hearing the words they gave what else was he to think? Gazing up into the dawn blue eyes of his beloved, he felt himself shiver, knowing he was fumbling with a double edged blade.

"An envoy would do no good." Rannulf said after a spell, his eyes locking on to his father's. "No, someone with power must go… and mayhaps bring along one of the conspirators."

Lucianna Gringoire
Luce listened to the tale with a thundering heart and a deep resignation echoing in her belly. She knew enough of her father's speech to gauge the context he left out and she couldn't help but glance every so often at the southern princess, even after her little outburst. She felt a tug of sympathy towards the woman and she wished there was something they were overlooking, wished the Western Knight was right when he spoke of a trick. But… Silvern currently had no enemies, at least not any blatant ones. It was partially the reason her father was looked so fondly upon; he had given them peace for many a years.

And maybe that's what the Cain'loren King was trying to destablize… But why?

"If I may," Luce said softly, searching for Audra's blue eyes. "Are you aware of any enemies Cain'loren has currently?"

• Love

Audra Baelston​

At the mention of not one assailant, but three, Audra sank back into her seat, paling slightly. Finding out that one person had tried to hurt her had been difficult enough, but three? A carefully composed group of people, organized... prepared... Whatever was going on, she was lucky that they had been able to act so quickly to save her, or there was no telling what might have happened to her.

Tears stinging her eyes, she looked down at her hands. There was a hole in the fingertip of her glove - barely a pinprick, but it was the sort of thing her mother would have noticed, without a doubt, and scolded her for not noticing before she'd put them on.

At Lucianna's question, Audra looked up. She knew it was a fair question, but it was almost frustrating to the Eastern princess, who was becoming acutely and aggravatingly aware how little she knew about her own home, about her father in general. Her gaze falling again, she shook her head, "I don't.... I don't know anything."

She felt useless... and she would not have been at all surprised to find everyone else in the room felt the same way. She'd never complained before, about the way that things were done in Cain'loren, but maybe that was a fault... Maybe it was her fault...

"Cain'parrel, I suppose... But... but there's hardly anyone left from that old place to do much harm."

Gavin Elroth​

"It's not likely..." Gavin interjected, as the princess felt quiet again, "That Cain'parrel would stage an assault on Cain'loren's princess so far from home. There'd be little to gain from it, politically, apart from potentially unseating the treaty between the two kingdoms. But Cain'loren has enough allies that it would be a fool's game for Silvern to attack unfounded."

Rubbing his forehead for a moment, he considered his options, before turning to Avenius, "Your Majesty... Send me. It's best we don't involve many more in this, as it is... and given I've been in your service for less than a day, I would be the more expendable of your guard."

Looking around the room, he frowned a little, "Though, if I may, it might not be wise for Prince Rannulf to join me. It could be the intention of those responsible to draw him away from his betrothed, in order to stall the progress of their nuptials."

• Love

RANNULF GRINGOIRE
"That, my lord knight, is exactly what I'm starting to think."

Rannulf looked round at the Prui`Druen, his brow furrowed in question. She'd been silent, diligent… her face no longer betraying what had happened behind closed doors. Standing there with pursed lips, as tall as the average man, regal in the drab grey robes of her order, silver mane falling past her hips, she looked at him with her perpetual heavy-lidded eyes.

"What do you mean, Melissant?" He asked carefully, a protective hand intertwining with Audra's.

"What I mean, Rannulf, is that I am starting to believe someone is trying to stop you two from marrying."

Abruptly, she turned to the king, a wave of silver glimmering in the firelight. "The knight is right, Your Grace," Melissant said, "We must not send Rannulf… but another heir might serve this quest well." Her silver-grey eyes flashed to Lucianna.

There was an uproar from her mother, a snarl from Beyla (who's eyes had closed shut not a minute prior), and a soft "oh" from his eldest sister. His own eyes flashed between her and the knight, his mind back on the look they'd shared and then the knife his sister's deft fingers toyed with.

With a shake of his head, Rannulf stood, his eyes dancing between Melissant and his father.

"Luce?" He asked, his mind struck dumb, "What good would Luce do in Cain'loren? They'd laugh at anything she'd ask of them."

With a sorrowful glance at Audra, he spoke once more. "What can we expect her to achieve? What are we even searching for? Is it worth sending someone else to be get hurt? Audra and I will wed regardless of who they send after us!"

LUCIANNA GRINGOIRE
"Rannulf," Luce said sharply. "You shouldn't question Melissant, nor raise such tones."

Lucianna sat with her feet still tucked beneath her, eyes bright with a sense of adventure and a gut full of guilt over her chiding. And yet she felt a sense of duty she could not ignore... And the thought of travelling with the western knight surely was exciting. She turned to Melissant, her mind swarming with thoughts. Tsking herself, Luce had to agree with some of what Rannulf had said… and yet...

"What if I do go… and ask about Cain'loren ceremonies?" Luce glanced sheepishly at Rannulf and Audra before continuing. "Find what is to be found while doing so under the guise of surprising my soon-to-be sister with something familiar. In the meantime," She looked back at the pair. "The two of you could actually get married. Under Silvern law as long as the King, the Prui`Druen, and the six High Druens are in presence, the ceremony is bound by law and faith. And Melissant, if I do remember correctly, your fourth month sequester with the Septons is nearing…"

Clearing her throat, cheeks glazing red, Lucianna finished. "Once I return, we can throw a public ceremony for Silvern… and to confirm our cover for sending me there in the first place."

Gavin Elroth​

There was a two fold reaction within Gavin to the idea of Lucianna accompanying him. One, that it seemed pure madness for the princess to travel so far, and into dangerous territory for something so largely unknown and two, that his job had just become significantly more difficult, because it didn't seem, apart from her brother's protests that there would be an argument. At least, he thought privately, Beyla hadn't volunteered herself, though there was something in the young girl's gaze that suggested she was a little jealous she -hadn't- thought of it first, wholly unnerving to the Western knight.

Flinching at the discord between siblings, Gavin shook his head, "Her Grace is right. I fear regardless of their place in this conspiracy, if such a place does, in fact, exist... sending a man might be viewed as suspicious, or even an act of aggression, which could be something our enemies are depending upon. We must tread carefully, and this seems to be the safest course of action, if not a touch unconventional."

His eyes flickered to Luce for a moment and a small, barely noticeable smile twitched at the corner of his mouth. She was decidedly much less the delicate creature she'd presented herself, when first they'd met, "If she were to go under this guise, I highly doubt King Ordin would question Princess Lucianna. And given the length of the journey to Cain'loren, it would afford Prince Rannulf and Princess Audra more than adequate time to wed in private. We would need to leave immediately, however... It is a long trip, and over treacherous grounds..."

Audra Baelston​

Audra listened, but soon found the words of present company drowned out by a pounding sensation in her head. Her chest felt heavy, and with each intake of breath, her corset somehow seemed to pull tighter and tighter, until she could feel the tension choking air from her lungs. Heat rose in a wave along the length of her spine, cheeks flushed and warm, her vision greying about the edges, swimming in and out of focus.

As Gavin concluded, she felt all the sudden overwhelmed by the urge to flee, to escape the hot, crowded Solar and the terrifying sensation that she would undoubtedly be viewed as either the biggest fool in Cain'loren... or a worst, a spy. If her father was under such scrutiny, it only surmised that she too would rouse uncertainty. Would Rannulf be able to trust her? Would anyone in Silvern? Even if her father's name were cleared, would this mar her reputation?

As the pressure in her lungs become unbearable, Audra rose, rather swiftly and without a word, tore from the room and out into the hall. There, she met the stone wall with her back, hands pressed to her stomach, inhalations coming in tight, stunted gasps and squeezing her eyes shut, she tries desperately to catch her breath, to calm her thoughts as the panic swelled to fullness inside of her.

• Love

RANNULF GRINGOIRE
"Give me a moment," Rannulf said tersely, and exited the room on swift feet.

His heart was pounding, his head as well, as if he'd just woken after a night of too many goblets of wine and ale. He had a dry mouth too, as nerves twittered in his stomach… this talk of Cain'loren… it was insulting, though somehow deep down he truly believed what his father had said. And yet…

He opened the door only wide enough for him to squeeze through and then shut it softly. Rannulf ran a hand through his thick curly hair and paced back and forth, wondering how to broach the subject. His heart ached as he watched her, out of the corner of his eye, inhaling fast and shallow, unsure of her own reality. At least, that's what he thought. What if instead she was wanting to return home? What if the talks of a private ceremony had scared her into annulling the betrothal?

Rannulf walked over to Audra, kneeling down in front of her and taking her hands within his own. He kissed them both, gently, before cupping his own cheeks with her lace covered palms.

"If you wish to go home, my darling princess, I will convince them to send you home with Luce. I will not force you to marry me if you do not wish to do so…"

LUCIANNA GRINGOIRE
Her father turned to the Lord Commander after Rannulf and Audra had left the room, his mustache well groomed after all the nervous fiddling. "Can you have everything prepared for a trip to Cain'loren by dawn? I'd rather no noble see Lucianna leaving the palace…"

He trailed off into silence, but kept his gaze on the Lord Commander. Eventually he gave a swift nod of his head and exited the room with a curt bow from the waist. Suppressing a smile, Luce glanced away and found the gaze of the Western knight. She blushed and looked away quickly, swearing she'd seen a smile beginning to form at the corner of his lips.

To travel south was something she'd always dreamed of, if preferring to spend her days living in the comfortability of her northern homeland. The farthest south she'd ever been was Bastillos and she hadn't even been able to travel beneath the ground to see the wonders of the submerged city.

"Gavin," Her father said in his habitually gravelly voice. "Escort Lucianna to her chambers so she may pack for your journey, and Beyla as well… though it'd do me a kindness if you were to make sure she can't… leave her chambers once you depart to report back to me."

Last edited:
  • Love

Gavin Elroth​

As the prince left the room, following after his lady, Gavin's expression shifted, softening ever so slightly. It wasn't common, he knew, to see such dedication in a couple betrothed from entirely differing kingdoms - such affection. Usually if they were lucky, there was a mutual bond of friendship, perhaps even a physical connection spurred by aesthetic beauty or worth... but love? Real and genuine and sacrificial? In all his years as a guardsman and many years before when he was not, he had never seen nor heard of it.

It was admirable, but it was also dangerous. To love someone so desperately, often meant the dissolution of reason... or good judgment. Rannulf was clearly enamored with the princess from Cain'loren and so his opinions would undoubtedly favor her own. Could he see what was happening through the amorous fog, or would he be forfeit to bias?

This, in part, was why Gavin had suggested another companion for the trip to the east... In truth, he'd meant what he said about the intentional stall in their wedding, but he feared, privately, that Rannulf might not think clearly enough to see what was in front of him - or worse, he might see things which weren't there at all. A wrong word had spurred worse than a war, before. Gavin needed someone with a level head, who would not be misguided by their emotions...

His eyes moved to Lucianna, then to her father as he spoke, then to Beyla... Precocious and desperate to be included. It would be easier, Gavin was sure, to keep a lion at bay than the young princess... Still, a job was a job, and if he had suffered Colin for so long, he could handle a wisp of trouble like Beyla. With a bow, he rose and turned to the pair, "After you, Your Highnesses."

Audra Baelston​

The door opened after her, but for several seconds the hallway was filled only with the sound of Audra's frantic breathing. She could feel the panic clawing at her chest like a wild animal and in her mind she knew it was entirely irrational, but her heart felt ready to burst. It was all too much to take in, too much to consider, and with every passing moment, her thoughts grew more and more treacherous... Could her father really have been responsible? Why? What would it benefit him to cause his own daughter harm...?

Looking up, she met Rannulf's gaze as he knelt and took her hands, pressing them to his lips. His words were soft, but they stung like a blow, "Why... why would you think..." Breathing out a sob, she shook her head almost violently, "Rannulf, no. I... I was so certain, my love, that you would not have me. If Cain'loren... if my father is to blame... I'll never be accepted here, not as your bride, not as... as Queen. If Cain'loren is responsible, they will hate me... and rightly so."

Folding forward swiftly, Audra moved to throw her arms around his neck, pulling herself close. Propriety be damned, she needed the strength of his hold, needed to feel that security... "I'm so afraid. I don't understand any of this. Why anyone would do this... What they could possibly gain...? But I don't want to go home, Rannulf. I don't want to leave your side. Please... please don't make me go."

Last edited:

RANNULF GRINGOIRE
He held on to her, body and soul, and for a moment, he felt at peace. With her arms round his neck he felt whole, like a part of him had been missing and he'd never known until now. He breathed out one final wretched sob, unsure totally of why his heart ached so fiercely and yet he felt so strong, so powerful with his Audra's arms wrapped around him.

"Then you won't leave, ever, not unless you wish to do so."

Rannulf stood, delicately, and unraveled her arms so just he could see her face, so he could wipe the tears from her moonstone cheeks. He cradled her face with his hands and kissed her softly, slowly, and banished the remaining tears with a soft swipe of his thumbs.

"Silvern will love you as I do, Audra. No matter what transpires, you will be mine, and I yours and Silvern will love us like they've never loved before."

LUCIANNA GRINGOIRE
Luce stood after Gavin had bowed and her father had made arrangements. A part of her couldn't believe the outcome and yet, a part of her had known such things would happen. Nothing good ever came from the south…

"Come," Luce said to Beyla, her hand outstretched.

Beyla, fierce with sleepy anger and indignation, stalked forward, took her hand and led them from the room. She didn't even spare a glance at Rannulf and Audra as she made her way to her chambers, almost three entire floors from where they currently stood. As they neared the royal chambers, Luce glanced over her shoulder at the knight and smirked.

"I'll make sure she changes into her sleep clothes," Luce said with a terribly concealed smile, "But you'll need to stay by her bedside until she's asleep. Beyla has a certain proclivity for disappearing."

The two princesses entered the chamber and then closed it. Luce crossed her arms and waited and Beyla, surprisingly, stepped right out of her dress and into her sleeping robes. She huffed and snorted in that angry way of hers, but didn't say a word. Luce gave her a hug, a tight one, and kissed her forehead softly. They were almost a decade apart in age, but Luce loved her desperately, both her and Rannulf… and hopefully the trip to Cain'loren would prevent further harm to either of them.

Exiting the chamber, Luce curtsied to the knight before escorting him inside and then taking her leave.

"I'll be ready within the hour, Ser Gavin, hopefully you will be too. My chambers are at the end of the hall."

• Love

Gavin Elroth​

As Lucianna left him to guard over the younger princess, Gavin shot her one last look, almost opening his mouth to plead with her to stay. It wasn't a customary task, babysitting... and certainly not someone who he knew all too well would give him a run for his money in mischief.

She had gotten ready without complaint, and that should have given him confidence, but as he knew all too well, sometimes concession was just a way of distracting someone. He wouldn't have been at all surprised if she was only pretending to cooperate in the hopes that she would be left alone. And really, he couldn't blame her. To be involved in something so exciting and dangerous - know all, or at least most, of the details... but to be made to stay home when everyone else got to investigate. It must have been frustrating.

Sinking into a chair by the bedside, Gavin looked over to Beyla with a wan smile, shaking his head, "I have a sister, you know. Back home. Rowena. You remind me of her... just a touch older. She's trouble, but in the best way. Everything's an adventure to Ro... from washing her hands before supper, to chasing the cat through the gardens. When I left for my training... she packed up a bag, took a huge loaf of bread from the kitchen and shoved berries in her pocket, and chased after me for three days. I didn't even know she was there until she had a bad dream one night and I found her curled up at the foot of my bed in my tent. I was nearly late at the barracks, because I had to see her home again. But I'll tell you, the journey was a lot lonelier that second time 'round."

Sniffing out a laugh, he sank back in his seat, "I know what you might be thinking, Beyla. And I know that it might seem unfair to be left behind... But what you must understand is how loved you are. By your parents and your sister and brother. I have no doubt in my mind that you will rise to be an amazing person... but maybe don't be in such a rush to grow up, hmm? Besides... I've a feeling our young princess from the east is going to need a friend, after all she's been through. You think you could be that for her? Maybe get her to stop wearing those damnable lace gloves and get her hands dirty for once...?"

Audra Baelston​

Whether or not she fully believed they were true, there were never spoken words with more worth than the ones that Rannulf whispered into her ear in those moments. The tears stilled, and Audra leaned back to meet his eye, shaking her head slowly as she brushed a fingertip along his jaw. She had never anticipated finding someone so valuable to her... and it was almost enough to make her forget the painful details of all that had just transpired.

She had meant what she'd said to Lucianna and Beyla... about her home, about loving it, and the people in it. About never having expected to find anything in Silvern worth her heart - yet having done just that. So desperately, she wanted to be accepted because this was her home, now. And she loved it...

"Right now..." She responded, reaching down to take his hands, rising to her feet, "All that I want is to be with you. And perhaps some sleep. I'm tired, is all... It's been a long day. Will you walk me to my chambers, please?"

• Love

RANNULF GRINGOIRE
"Of course." Rannulf said thickly, his throat still sore from crying. He swiped at his face a few times and knocked away the salty beads from his eyes and took Audra's hand, led her farther into the castle, a way she hadn't been before.

Silvernest was unusual like that; once you thought you knew her, she defied you and proved you wrong. Rannulf let go of her hand in order to wrap his arm around her waist, to feel the warmth of her body against his. Their faces… his father's, Melissant's, the new knight's and the Lord Commander's… They still flashed every time he blinked his eyes. Every dance of firelight was a herald of bad omens, and Rannulf's hold on Audra grew tighter.

They were in the old caverns now. Dark, though a hundred torches lined the great hall, and musky, though without a foul stench. It smelled like the earth, it smelled like stone, and if Rannulf listened hard enough, could swear he heard whisperings of the old men, of the old gods entombed within the mountain.

Down the center of the great hall they went, it's shadow places in the far corners containing storage of this and that and gods know what. Rannulf veered left, towards a brightly lit corridor. The old staircase, made of some kind of white stone, was a beacon of the kingdoms of the past, of the glory Rannulf wished to restore Silvern to. He glanced down at Audra and smiled, a flicker of realization washing through him.

They could do it, the pair of them, as the King and Queen of Silvern.

Hesitantly, at the base of the staircase, fire and brazier light shining around them, Rannulf stopped and turned until he was facing Audra.

"What d-did you think? When they were speaking of us marrying so soon?"

BEYLA GRINGOIRE
"Hmmm." Beyla said sleepily, an elbow tucked under chin, her body curled cat-like on the bed so she could face Gavin. She squinted at him in suspicion, searching for truths and lies and exaggerations. Finding few, she sighed, then groaned and rolled onto her back, her face pouting with indignation.

"I suppose." Beyla replied wistfully. "I suppose I can help her, the eastern princess I mean."

She yawned angrily, hating the betrayal. Hating that she knew Luce would be travelling, not quite alone, but without some semblance of home. Reaching underneath her pillow, Beyla grabbed a small, smooth stone and tossed it towards Gavin. If he dropped it, she'd tell father to send the Lord Commander with them, to make sure Luce stayed safe. If he caught it, well, maybe she'd be able to get some sleep.

She nodded approvingly and then spoke. "Give that to Luce for me. It's a charm for good luck. She should have Melissant bless it again though… it's been awhile."

And then she rolled over, half angry half sad, and laid in a frustrating silence. It felt like hours, though it could have been minutes that she began to fall away. The last thing she thought, though she could have said it aloud, was that he better take care of Luce…

A soft knock came upon the door some time later and Luce peeked her head in, no longer wearing layers of fabric but of riding leathers and a thick wolf-hide jacket. She smiled at him softly, eyes scanning the room until she noticed the small lump on the goosefeather mattress. A look of satisfying surprise flashed across her face and she beckoned Gavin forward, out into the hall.

"There are two guards to replace you." Luce said when he was near. "We should go visit my father, the servants are already bringing down my belongings."

Status
Not open for further replies.