The struggle of being a meat eater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on how far you go back, I guess? It's true that meat gives us an evolutionary advantage (like the mongol hordes ...) but our monkey ancestors primarily ate fruit and seeds. Also, I love fiber. Nothing like being regular.

I'm honestly really glad vegetarian and vegan diets have become more popular. Ever since my teens, I've been losing my taste for meat one meat source at a time. They just don't taste good to me no matter how they're prepared. Now, red meat actually gives me incredibly painful stomach cramps. I have trouble touching raw meat, too, because the feeling makes me gaggy enough that I don't even want to eat it cooked I've I've felt it raw.

Last year, I learned that I'm allergic to milk (not just lactose intolerant like I always believed), and my quality of life has improved even if I miss things like real cream cheese.

The only reason I can avoid milk and meat is because veganism is as popular as it is. The only thing I really feel bad about is the fact that my almond milk (which is the only milk substitute I like) takes obscene amounts of water to make due to how much water almonds require to grow.

Because of my distaste for meat and my milk allergy, I'm pretty much stuck with vegan recipes when I try to find things to make online. It's either that or suffer.

I'd totally eat bugs for protein, though. They basically grind them up into powder, so you don't even have to witness what they were before you eat them. You can add them to anything at that point. I have eaten non-powder bugs before. A science museum had chocolate covered crickets and mealworms. They weren't bad, but the cricket legs got stuck in my teeth and grossed me out. I don't recommend it. Powder bugs, on the other hand, agree just fine with me... maybe... Someone in this thread said that bugs are how they make chemical red food dyes, and chemical red dye gives me horrific migraines that last for days, so I guess eating bugs is a legit worry, but I'd be all for making an attempt, at least, if it wasn't currently so expensive. They're supposed to taste nutty like almonds, so it sounds pretty pleasant.

I actually have the opposite problem with my health and while I can eat any meat just fine, the majority of fruits and vegetables and simply too hard to digest and cause me a great deal of pain. I need to eat greens in extreme moderation and with stuff without skins and insoluble fiber.

So, in the interest of being able to eat more than like 3 times a week, I kinda need my meat stuff.

Reactions: Thought Manifest
I actually have the opposite problem with my health and while I can eat any meat just fine, the majority of fruits and vegetables and simply too hard to digest and cause me a great deal of pain. I need to eat greens in extreme moderation and with stuff without skins and insoluble fiber.

So, in the interest of being able to eat more than like 3 times a week, I kinda need my meat stuff.
I to suffer from this. I have actually forced myself to eat more veggies, as you can get your body more used to it.

I to suffer from this. I have actually forced myself to eat more veggies, as you can get your body more used to it.

Crohns disease sadly isn't something you can ever force to play by any rules but it's own. I used to eat a shitload of grapes and salads and cereals and nuts and I had to cut it all down to virtually nothing after I got sick.

Ohhhh
You got crohns :(

I might have it. My doctors are unsure. I have had massive stumache pain in the mornings.

Ohhhh
You got crohns :(

I might have it. My doctors are unsure. I have had massive stumache pain in the mornings.

If you want, hit me up if you need to talk about it and want some tips for dealing with it. It's not fun, and if I can save anyone the years of agony I had to endure before I figured things out, I would consider it worth it.

Then it seems our tones got mixed up XP The tone I gave you was how I saw your tone -.- I'm going to assume there was a misunderstanding, so lets try one last time :D

This tone? Calm, slightly worn out, one last push for understanding.

You... You realize, we need to kill things to live, right?
You seemed to have missed the part where I said that most people aren't against them dying, or being killed for food.

People are against how they are treated. If they were treated better, then this would hardly be an issue. In fact, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
I realize that fully ^^ I even mentioned that. (And you seemed to have missed that part... Again DX)

How many times do I have to say i'm not against animals dying for our food, i'm against how they're treated.
Holy fucking shit kiddo. I was just trying to explain why cows are not the same as people.
And i'm trying to explain that it doesn't matter how smart, stupid, ignorant, arrogant, loving, hated something is, they shouldn't be treated so badly.
You SAY you agree that animals should be treated better, yet you make excuses as to why it's okay they are treated as terribly as they are. What you say, and your reasons, don't co-exist consistently.

Humans went many years seeing animals as more objects than anything else, and used that as an excuse to abuse them. Even to de-humanize humans by calling them animals.

Then we started to see "Huh... Animals are more than we thought".
Just a decade ago, many of us thought the goldfish had 7 seconds of memory. As it turns out, we were wrong... WAY wrong, their memory isn't all that bad. We said that animals don't feel pain like we do, but studies on that HEAVILY beg to differ.

We used to say that native Americans were animals, savages. Then we finally came to the conclusion that they aren't as bad as we thought. It was only 60 years ago that blacks were seen as more, and even today, there's still that racism.

What's my point? The same thing is happening right here. People back then thought they understood natives/blacks, and saw them as almost nothing. And then it was proven that it was wrong.
You seem to see animals similarly as people back then saw natives, you think you understand animals, and as proven, it's wrong.

How can we place value on a creature that we don't even understand? You say it's dangerous to place value on something that isn't proven to be like us. Well that's the same mindset of back then with natives/slaves. It wasn't proven that they were like us, so their mistreatment was excused. (It was eventually proven, but people just didn't care. Similarly to now, it's proven animals are quite like us, but many of us still deny that. VERY similarly to how blacks were seen back when they started getting rights)

And why place value in the first place? we feel pain all the same, we all think, we all communicate, we all learn, we all pass down information to the next generation. Yet we pretend like animals don't do any of that, and why? As an excuse to continue treating them the way we do? Because we need to feel special and above them?

If you wanna talk about value, then what's the scale?

An amazing president vs a cat? President probably wins (At least I would)
But even if that cat was human, people will still choose president.

Army dog who saves lives and protects our freedom, or a mass murderer? Is the murderer still worth more than the dog who is doing far more good? If your answer is no, then your scale of species doesn't work. If your answer is still yes... Well at least you're consistent -.-

I guess the ultimate question then, what are you arguing? That we shouldn't see animals as humans? Alright, whatever. (But really, that's the same reason why we shouldn't see Chinese as American. The reason why we shouldn't see animals as humans, is due to culture.)

But why should those reasons of yours be the same reasons as to why it's acceptable to torture them? Why are they the same as to why the natives/blacks were treated badly? Your primary point is being contradicted by your reasons, and your exact reasons are the same responsible for much suffering in the past, even with humans.

Are you starting to see where plausible confusion is coming from?

I have, like... celiacs, I think. Or maybe just extreme IBS, I dunno. I also got diverticulitis.

Guess what that means?

I CANNOT EAT ALL THE FOODS.

=(

Are we seriously resurrecting a thread everyone stopped giving a shit about over a week ago?

NEW LOW.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Mid
I came here to post this.

a34b5b9e030426530cb89da4f5e94b5d.jpg

Now excuse me. I've a marinated cow to eat and fresh fish muscle (never frozen) to sear tonight.

I came here to post this.

a34b5b9e030426530cb89da4f5e94b5d.jpg

Now excuse me. I've a marinated cow to eat and fresh fish muscle (never frozen) to sear tonight.
I read that as Dethklok in Nathan Explosion's voice. Amazing.

Reactions: Windsong
Status
Not open for further replies.