The street kid

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
"I do," he answered smoothly. "Almost wanted to be a chef when I was little. So I learned as I went. It's not like the public library can turn me away, right?"

Axel put his hair back up, walking to the doorway and tossing the pillowcase in the general direction of the sofa. He walked back in and snatched a chocolate off the table himself. "I can't promise anything extravagant, but I hope you like steamed chicken."

"Can't wait!" Red said leaving the kitchen. She couldn't believe that Mikey knew how to cook. This should be interesting she thought. Red went back into her room. She wanted to take a shower before dinner but she didn't trust the quality of the water. So instead she just changed her shirt and pulled her fingers through her hair hoping that it looked halfway presentable. There was no telling with her mass of hair.

He rummaged through the cupboards, making no small amount of noise as he searched for pots. He made quick work of cleaning the meat with the lime juice and the drinking water he'd brought along as well, coupled with the lime juice. Seasoning it and letting it sit, he threw a frying pan onto the stove and got a knife -- it was time to prepare the vegetables and whatnot for the meat.

Red stepped out of her room and smelled something delicious. "So he wasn't kidding about wanting to be a chef. Hope it tastes as good as it smells." she said to no one in particular. Red walked downstairs and into the kitchen. She took a seat at the table and watched Mikey prepare the rest of the dinner.

Whistling and as content as can be, he side-stepped through the kitchen and put the old gas stove to work. Letting the chicken cook, he turned his attention to the rice -- buttered to perfection. He dumped a small amount onto the back of his right hand and tasted it.

"Sexy," he grinned. Axel covered the pot and turned it down low to simmer, the boiled vegetables in the smallest of the three pots already done and waiting. All that was left was to clean.

He spotted Red from the corner of his eye and smiled sheepishly. He'd forgotten all about her in the hype of cooking. "I'm a bit rusty, but it's decent, if anything. It should be ready to swallow in a few minutes."

Red stared in awe as Mikey moved swiftly in the kitchen. Gosh i wish i had skills like that she said. Red giggled when he called his rice 'sexy'. How rice could be that way she had no idea but she was definitely ready to find out. The smells that were coming from those pots and pans were mouth watering. When he finally noticed Red smiled back. "I'm sure it will absolutely yummy! It smells so wonderful." she said getting up and grabbing plates from the shelf.

Axel washed everything and put them away, stretching his arms above his head.

"Take whatever you want out of the pot," he told Red. "I'm sure there's enough to go around at least twice."

Red picked up one of the plates and walked over to the pots. She took large spoonfuls from each one and picked up a fork from a drawer. Red sat down at the table and dug in. She sighed with pleasure. "This is the best food i have ever had!" she told Mikey.

Axel smiled wide. "Glad you like." He moved over and took up some for himself, leaning against the counter to enjoy to fruits of his illegal labor.

Red quickly finished her first plate and went back up for seconds. "You should have your own restaurant." she said thinking out loud. Red ate her second plate slower than the first so she could savor the taste.

Axel shrugged, inwardly glad she liked his cooking so much. "I thought about it, and it sounds great and all, but right now, that's looking pretty far fetched. I probably won't get to go the legal route for that one. The illegal, yeah if I pull this one string that I got saved for emergencies only." He took another bite out of his dinner. "Anything you'd like to do in particular?"

Red thought for a moment on that one. "An actress. It's always been a dream of mine." she said putting her dishes into the sink. She had always wanted to be an actress but her parents always told her she wasn't pretty enough and didn't have any talent. She shook her head laughing, "Silly right?"

"Actually no," Axel said. "It's going to take a hell of a long time to be recognized and shot to stardom, but it's doable." He moved over to the sink and began to wash the dishes. He handed her the kitchen towel. "You dry. But yeah. I had this friend, another one like us, and he wanted to be a CIA agent. Either that or a member of a crime syndicate. Two to one, he's probably in another state rising to the top of a gang somewhere. No, it's not legit, but he's got something in mind to work for. In our cases, anything would be good as long as it gives us some kind of purpose for living. Here," he handed her a rinsed dish to dry.

Red took the dish towel and jumped up onto the counter. She waited until he handed her a dish to dry. "Yeah I guess you're right. Just wish I knew how to stop being a street kid. That would make life so much easier." she said finishing the dish and placing it in the cabinet behind her. Red held out her hand for another one.

"I've never stopped being a street kid," Axel told her truthfully, wordlessly handing a dish over. "It's what kept me alive. You learn about human nature better that way; shows you what people are truly like. That way when you go back into society, you know what you're up against and better prepared for it."

Red took the dish and dried it. She looked out of the window towards the sun and noticed that it had started to go down. She realized that she only had about 10 minutes before the house got dark. "Yeah but don't you ever get lonely?" she said hoping off the counter and running to the room she had slept in. She grabbed her candle holder and a few candles and went back into the kitchen.

Axel pondered the question. Did he really feel lonely? If it counts to have a joke that can't be shared or someone to watch his back when he just wants to close his eyes for a moment while being on the run, or just to have idle conversation like this with someone he could trust unconditionally -- to be without someone with all of these qualities, then, maybe so.

He nodded slowly, putting another clean dish onto the counter atop the other one, waiting to be dried and put away. "Sometimes, I guess. I mean, yeah, it's a bit frustrating not having anyone to bounce ideas off whenever the need arises, but I'd been fine for a while after a friend and I got separated."

Zeth, a 16 year old with messy brown hair, blue eyes and a ragged red shirt with blue jeans, brown shoes, and a black trench coat, was inside a small store when he saw a suspicious person looking at him.
*Great... one of them...* Zeth thought.
He quickly put down the book he was looking at and quickly left the store. The man continued to follow him. Zeth began to walk a bit faster, so did the man. He dared to look behind him, the man was wearing sunglasses and a brown trench coat. Zeth then made a sharp turn at the corner and stopped, waiting for the man.
The man eventually turned the corner.
"I think I answered you guys pretty clearly. The answer is no." Zeth said aggravated.
"C'mon man, you're the only person we know who can pull it off." the man said with some kind of New York accent.
"That is exactly why I'm not doing it, I won't ruin any more lives with your lame scams. You people are really becoming quite pitiful." Zeth said in his usual monotone voice.
"You will be paid a generous amount of money..." the man bribed with a mischievous voice.
"This isn't about money, I can't believe you people are that ignorant to see that in me. Now get out of my face!" Zeth said with anger in his voice.
The man walked away, almost nervously. Zeth sighed deeply.
*Those idiots don't know when to take no for an answer... They will probably try again tomorrow...* Zeth thought and began to wander.

Red took up the plates and began drying again. "Well i know i do. It's hard not to have someone to talk to." Red said putting more plates in the cabinet.

"You can always talk to yourself," Axel joked lightly before putting on a mock-dubious expression. "Just...don't go answering back." He handed over the last dish and let out the water in the sink. Stretching, he bent over the counter and yawned slightly, right hand moving the tie off his hair. It lay crimped on his back as he looked out the window. "But in the end, as long as someone's willing to listen, you'll be fine. Just have to find the right ears. Hell, you've got me now, at least. I may not be the best, but hey. Do what you gotta until you can do better."