The street kid

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Rusti smiled and took it. "Thanks so much." he said to the girl, "And my name is...well you can call me Rusti." he said with a sweet smile.

"Yes," Jace replied, slightly unnerved. Then again, he could never get used to the company Axel seemed to get into. "It's my birth name."

"He's just sore about having a nickname," Axel piped up, keeping Red close behind him, squeezing her hand absently, an automatic reaction to her tension.

"Heyy Axel? Would you mind sleeping in my room tonight? If it wouldn't be too much trouble." Red asked hesitantly.

Axel blinked and shrugged. "Sure, why not?" He turned to Jace. "You get the couch."

The asian young man turned a steely gray glare at his long-time friend, only to just roll his eyes and accept it. "But you're cooking," he said.

"Sure."

And that was that.

Red just rolled her eyes and smiled at their exchange. Once they reached the house Red took her bag from Axel and placed it in her room. Then she went back downstairs. "Alright. There are three other bedrooms aside from mine. So choose your fav." she told the group.

"Umm your letting me spend the Night?"Mime asked Red making sure it was okay for her to really stay in the house.

Rusti overheard. "Wait you guys have a place? Oh jeez you gotta let me crash bro!" he said with a smile. "Come on man. We have to look out for eachother."

"Yeah sure. This house is owned by a guy named Knight. He lets street kids live here. I'm watching it while he is out so you are all welcome to stay." she told them smiling.

Kicker returned to the house as the sun was setting over the west end of the city. Shadows of buildings darkened the streets, making and already dangerous lowtown into a labyrinth filled with petty crime, street gangs, and police. It seemed that he was the first to return to the house, which caused Kicker to begin worrying about Red and Axel. "Axel knows what he's doing. She'll be fine." he reassured himself.

The adrenaline from his fight was long gone, leaving Kicker bloodied and quite sore. He set the newfound aluminum bat down next to his guitar. At the window sill there was a small bucket filled with rainwater. Kicker painfully removed his torn and bloddy clothes and proceeded to wash off the blood, both his and some of the dock workers' as well. Once he was 'clean', Kicker grabbed his bag from the corner of the living room. He put his musical loot in it before pulling out some fresh clothes and his cigarettes and lighter. After he changed, Kicker lit up and picked up his guitar. His hands were sore and covered in blisters and a few of his knuckles were freshly split. "Whatever. I'll play tomorrow." he grumbled.

Darkness had completely enveloped the city and the only light that came from the house was the faint glow of Kicker's cig. The others still weren't back yet so Kicker resolved to sit by the window to smoke and watch for his friends' return. After a few minutes or so, he spotted them. Axel and Red were there but there were three other's with them, a boy about his and Axel's age, a girl and another younger boy. Kicker wasn't exactly thrilled to see the extras but it wasn't his house. He decided to watch and wait until he was sure he could lower his guard.

Mime felt a smile trying to form on her lips but it wouldn't show "Thank You". Mime started to walk up the stairs "Does this place have a shower?" she asked wanting to get washed up.

"The sinks work but idk if they use the same system as the showers." Red said turning to walk towards the window where she left her candle. "Kicker!" she exclaimed noticing him for the first time. She walked over and examined his wounds gently. "Please tell me you're not feeling as bad as you look?"

"Sure, make yourselves comfortable," Axel said, waving away the other's worry. "Just would have to figure out what to feed you later."

"Stay away from my couch," Jace stated simply.

Axel walked over into the kitchen and rummaged through the cupboards, making a mental note of what to get. At the table behind him, Jace made himself comfortable in a chair with his feet crossed on top of the dining table.

"Toss me a light," Jace called over. Axel dug into his pocket for a box of cigarettes and a lighter, tossing them over his shoulder at Jace, who caught them effortlessly and lit up.

Over her shoulder Red said,"No smoking in the house please Jace. I have bad asthma."

Rusti checked out the place. "This is nice!" He said with a smile. "I mean...it's better than where I had to crash before! How are the rooms?" he asked for anyone who had heard the questions.

Jace looked over at Red and shrugged, rising to go outside. After all, he had some kind of respect for other people.

"The Lady of the House has spoken," Axel announced with exaggerated theatrics. He was met by an unused cigarette to the nose. He caught it before it hit the ground. "Bastard! Don't waste the smokes!"

"You've got three more boxes in your pockets," Jace drawled, continuing on his way. Jace always did have amazing eyesight while Axel had the ears of an animal. It was fun playing thief together a few years back.

"Jerk," the green eyed seventeen year old muttered. He looked around the corner, walking into the living room, to see Kicker looking like he was about to jump at the slightest odd movement toward him.

"Mikey," he called out to him, blatantly disregarding the other's street name. "You look like someone took your bat and used it on you."

"Thanks a sink is fine for me I just need water" Mime walked up the stairs into the bathroom were she found a cracked sink. Mime closed the door and turned on the sink. Mime took off her jacket and it reviled on her arms a bunch of scars, burn marks, and bruises which left painful memories deep in her mind that she pushed way in the back of her mind. Mime looked in the mirror not liking what she saw back but it wasn't all that bad, she started to wash up with the water that was luke warm touch. After Mime was finished she decided to go check out one of the room, she left the bathroom and walked down the hallway to find a small room it was kind of empty, except it had a blanket and a chair with a couple of old newspapers on it. Mime looked at the newspapers and saw a head line "STREET TRASH OR UNWANTED KIDS?". Mime picked up the newspaper then walked out if the room and stepped slowly down the steps "Hey Red look at this..." she held the newspaper.

A kid sat atop one of the light poles, his feet kicking back and forth as he watched the other street kids amusingly. No one knew him by his real name, but he was known among most (or some) of the street kids as Otter. His outfit consisted of a symbolic black bandana that covered most of his head- and in the center of its design was a crown of white cross's. His brown hair that stuck out from underneath the bandanna nearly covered his soft green eyes. His outfit was but only a tight black t-shirt, black gloves, and torn jeans. He had no shoes- so his feet could be seen wrapped with dirty old bandages.

Because of the darkness enveloping the city, no cops and most likely other children wouldn't be able to see him, as the light would surely give him the camouflage he needed. Otter twirled the piece of grass in his mouth, his lips curling to a smile. He was never one to talk, that could be because he couldn't or he choose not to. No one really knows. His body language is more than enough to make up for it though, his hands symbolize a lot of his emotions and so does his facial features.

With a somewhat graceful slickness, Otter slid down the pole. He landed with the soft 'pat' of his bandaged feet and darted into the shadows. If he wasn't so tired already, he would have enjoyed watching the city atop the familiar light pole. But ...Alas, it was time to make place to somewhere he could rest.

Kicker smiled at Red's concern. "Aw come on. I thought this look was the next big thing." he said jokingly. He knew that he shouldn't give Red any reason to worry. They were safe and that was all that mattered. "Did you get back here alright. Who are all these people." Kicker looked around at all the strange faces. He heard Axel's remark and quickly returned with a, "Well at least I still look better than you." He chuckled but it hurt his ribs so he stopped. "Axel, I need to talk to you about something... Somewhere private."

Kicker stood up slowly, working few kinks out of his legs and back. He grabbed his last cigarette and hobbled out onto the porch to smoke.

As Otter made his way through the darkened streets of the lower part of the city, he couldn't help but stop at the windows of shops and buildings. His arms tightened against his chest as the cold picked at his exposed skin. He tucked his chin in and kept his feet moving so the pavement wouldn't continuously sting his battered feet with its bitter coldness. Even as he stopped at the windows of shops in buildings, he hopped in place just to keep the cold away.

Soon, he came across a restaurant and peeked through the window best he could. Families, couples, and even cops it would seem, were enjoying a fresh warm meal. Otter watched silently. He was soothed by their happiness and held no seething thoughts against them. Why should he? They weren't the ones who kicked him, who had thrown him away. Otter's eyes glazed as he shortly imagined himself in there; enjoying a nice meal- but he was snapped to reality when he heard a door opening. Darting once more, he hid within the shadows as a couple passed from the restaurant. A wordless sigh escaped his lips and he made his way silently past the building and further into the pits of the city.

Otter's eyes continuously stuck forward but never made contact with anyone. There were too many weirdos out at this time of night.

Once he made his was passed a lit building and a few more alleys over, there was a proudly made cardboard box about the size of a frigerator. It was grand, made of the finest cardboard. Inside was a tattered old dog blanket and a pillow sheet, without the pillow inside. As Otter approached, he made an effort to smile. He lowered himself into the box and laid on his back. In the top of the box a hole was cut, it gave a window for him to view the stars at night, which he enjoyed greatly.

[lol...i'm at work so i prolly won't be able to post again till my lunch break :P]

"I'm sexy and I know it," Axel snorted but followed Kicker outside onto the porch. He glanced around for some sign of Jace, only to hear the other moving around on the roof. He always did like high places. He would have made the perfect sniper.

"So what's up?" He took out his own cancer stick and fired it up. The taste of the nicotine relaxed him some, although he'd do better if he had some people to beat up. Besides that, this was ruining his attempts to actually quit while he was ahead.