The Story of Us (MxM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinder? Alexander wasn't sure what Mark meant by that. He knew he wasn't the same teen that he was before. Many said he was colder. But kinder? He shrugged. When he held out his hand he looked at it for a second. It was a bit foreign to him since this wasn't a usual thing. Then again, these are unusual circumstances, he thought. He took the male's hand. "I suppose that's okay." He shook it.

Since the dramatic 'you were gone and I didn't know where you went off too' situation was dealt with, life with his roommate was little more peaceful. Mark wasn't exactly buddies with Alexander, but it didn't feel so awkward being in the same room as Alexander now. It was like a gigantic weight was lifted off of his chest once the emotions he had swirling around him were done with... although Mark still had some bad habits to take care of, like keeping people at a distance so much. He caught himself doing little things, like declining many invitations out or refraining from sharing more about himself.

The good news about last week's game was that his team won! He managed to exert himself enough to where he shot the ball to get the last few points that they needed. The bad news was that this literally cost him a leg, or more specifically, his foot. He broke it when he was carrying that ball the last stretch, and while making the shot, also fell down, and someone else accidentally ended up twisting it, and all his yelling wasn't just because he was happy about winning the game.

The game took place on a break, so thankfully he didn't miss any days of class when he was getting his foot checked out. That included a cast, full of signatures from teammates as soon as he slapped the thing on. He was thankful that the scholarship paid for school health insurance... but crutches were still a pain. Thank god for elevators-- although when classes were starting up again in the buildings that lacked them, it'd be a challenge maneuvering up and down them. From the elevator in the dorm building to managed to hobble all the way back to his own dorm, and got to the bed, roughly setting himself on it from how unused he was to using the things.

Alexander came back on Saturday. He had gone away for the week since it was break. The coach of the swim team had asked him to join them at their tournament as a way to persuade him to join the team. He took the coach up on his offer and went. He had to admit that it was fun. Even though he wasn't a part of them, the team welcomed him with open arms. They treated him like he was a part of the team. He was actually contemplating joining. Looks like the coach's plan was working after all. After collecting everyone's numbers he carried his bag to the dorm. Immanuel, the teammate he had bonded with the most over the trip, walked with him to Alexander's room. Well, not exactly to his room. It turned out that Immanuel's room was two doors down from his. "This is me." Said Alexander as he arrived at the door.

Immanuel smiled. "Thanks for coming with us. It was fun. Let's hang out again some time."

Alexander grinned. "Of course. I still need to best you." Immanuel was the captain of the swim team, and apparently point-two-seconds faster than him.

"Can't let that happen, Kade." He replied. "I actually like being captain."

"Well enjoy it now. The moment I hit the water you're done."

He raised his eyebrows. "You're going to join?"

"Still thinking about it." He unlocked his door. "Later, E." The smile still on his face he walked into the dorm and shut the door. He sighed. Yeah. I might just join. He loved swimming. And he liked the way the team was run. He might just join. It wasn't until he got to the middle of the room that he noticed something. A cast propped up on a chair. When he saw who it belonged to he shook his head. "What the hell, Mark? I'm gone for a week." He tossed his bag on his own bed.

"... Yeah, I know." Mark said, adjusting his leg and wincing, "Broke it at the game last week... But hey, we won!" Mark jokingly, "Still, it's not like my break was a complete bummer, even if part of it was spent in a doctor's office... You can sign my cast too if you're gentle enough. Most of my teammates know how to handle a ball but when it comes to signing for some reason they thought I meant 'please press as hard as you can on my sensitive foot.'" he said, taking the whole issue lightly, although how he was going to make it classes was a bit of a problem... Maybe if he woke up earlier to accommodate for how much longer it might take...

"... Also, how was your week? Probably a bit better than mine considering you have all your limbs in tact."

"Congrats on the win." Back in high school Alexander would have done anything to watch, and although a part of him wished he could have gone, he knew that it was better that he didn't. There was no telling what he would have done had he saw Mark get hurt. He smiled as he recalled what happened during the week. "Yeah. It was fun." It felt good to relax without worrying about school. It had been a while since he could do that. "I had fun." He said. He honestly wanted to stay longer, but his classes resumed Monday.

"Nice... Mind giving any details?" he asked, genuinely curious about what Alexander did that week, although he knew that the other male was more private that him, but he figured that it wouldn't hurt to ask. Mark adjusted the position of his foot a little, but it ended up being too much and the foot fell off of the chair. Mark cursed under his breath when the foot hit the floor, it felt as if someone had slammed on the still fragile body part.

He smiled as he reflected on the past week. "It was nice. We went to a swim tournament. It was really competitive but the entire team medaled." He could still hear the loud echos of cheering, the splashing of water, and the buzzers. "And then we went to the beach to celebrate. The captain and I became great friends. Well, the entire team and I did. I'm actually considering joining the team."

Mark smiled at hearing Alexander speak. He really did sound like he had a great time, "I think you should." commented Mark, "Being a part of a team is definitely a lot of fun... It's kind of a big responsibility, what with practices and all, but maybe you should at least try it for the rest of the term and see how it works out." he paused, looking down at his foot, "... And maybe be a little carefuller than me."

He smiled. "Yeah, I can see why anyone would want to join a team." He'd been a loner for so long that he never cared to join a team. But now he could see the value in it. And it gave him something to do. He began to unpack his bag. At the mention of his injury he asked, "So, how long did they say your cast is on for?"

"They said it'd be on for like 6 to 8 weeks, depending on how well it healed." Mark said. He wasn't used to being so inactive for so long, ever since he was a kid, he was always doing some sort of sports activity. Any sort of athletic activity were his idea of fun, so having to take it easy for that long was... pretty boring to him, "So I'll probably be raring to go again by the end of this term or the start of the next one."

"Damn," he mumbled. Alexander couldn't imagine being inactive for so long. And he was sure Mark would be having trouble as well. He knew Mark was very athletic. Ever since he could remember the male was constantly involved in sports. So, it was something to see him like this. He was sure it was going to drive him crazy. "That sucks." He scooted his now empty bag under the bed. "At least you're finally sitting still," joked Alexander.

Mark laughed, "Yeah, that's true." he paused, thinking of something, "... It's kind of ironic how I have to sit out for awhile while you're considering joining a team already."

--

The break came and went, and before Mark knew it, classes started. Of course, he wished that break lasted longer, as did most everyone else... especially because of the broken foot. He'd wanted to get up earlier because he knew that it would take longer to get to classes because of his foot, but muscle memory made him sleep past the earlier clock anyways. He had to scramble to get to his first class. It didn't help that it was up two flights of stairs that he would have usually considered light exercise if it weren't for the dead weight on his foot.

By the time his first class was over he maneuvered himself with his crutches out of the room, and went to go sit on a couch on the same floor. He checked his phone, he had at least an hour before his next class, so it was more time than he had this morning... this was going to be a long term if every day was going to be like this.

As always Alexander couldn't wait for school to start. That was an aspect of him that hadn't changed. It was what earned him the title of 'nerd' in the first place. But he couldn't help it. With break he had to find ways to occupy himself. With school in session he didn't have to plan it out. And he got homework. Alexander liked homework. After getting dressed he looked over at the other bed. Mark still laid sleeping. He picked up a pillow and threw it at him. Mark turning over was his only reaction. Alexander shook his head and headed out of the dorm room. At least he had tried. An apple in hand he locked the door behind him and started for his first class. There was still twenty minutes left to spare. He could take his time.

"Morning, Kade." There was only one person who called him by his last name. And that person was Immanuel.

"Morning, E." He greeted as the other fell into step with him.

"Where you heading?" Alexander told him. "I'm a floor above you." He paused. "So, have you decided?"

Alexander nodded. "Yeah. I'm going to talk to the coach today. Someone's gotta put you in your place."

Immanuel smirked. "Oh. So the brainiac does know how to trash talk. The only thing is, can you back it up?"

He returned his challenging smirk. "You bet. Enjoy your title while you still can, Captain."

The two joked and talk a bit more as they walked to class. Alexander found he liked talking with E. So much had happened in the past year that he actually forgot what it was like to talk. Even when he was with Mark, he didn't conversate with others much. Only Mark. They soon went there separate ways. When classes ended Alexander shifted the bag on his back and headed for the staircase. He had an hour before his next class. He was taking six classes this semester. Being the nerd he was, he wanted to knock out as many credits as possible. However, he would have to change that come next semester. He hadn't expected to join a sport this year after all. As he walked to the staircase he spotted a familiar figure sitting on the couch. His hands on his pockets he headed over to Mark.

"Well, look who got up this morning." Alexander joked, taking in the male's current position. "I did try to wake you up. But you've always been a heavy sleeper."

Last edited by a moderator:
"To be fair, you should have known that you would have had to literally beat me with the pillow." Mark joked back, admittedly happy to see Alexander. Much of his friends on campus were on the same team as him, or just athletic in general. It wasn't like they completely ignored his existence now, but he was a little tired of always having to sit on the sidelines if he wanted to tag along when they were doing more active stuff.

"... Anyways, I bet you're having a better time getting back to classes than I am... Now that I think about it, how do you plan on balancing classes with the team you might be joining? Not to say that you shouldn't join a team, but it can take a chunk of your schedule, trust me." Mark asked, betting that Alexander had put himself whole-heartedly into academics.

"Who do you think I am?" He joked. "Alexander Kade always has a plan." It felt good to talk to the male without having to avoid him. It was as though a weight had been lifted off his shoulders. But their past still lingered in the back of his head. Like a shadow it was always there. "I'm just going to cut down on a class or two. Take four instead of the six I'm taking now. That means roughly sixteen credits next semester instead of eighteen credits." Which was what he was doing this semester. It was probably easier. As a freshman they only needed thirty credits to advance to sophomore year. He could take it easy next semester. His academic scholarship was a full ride. As long as he maintained his GPA and attendance he could do as he pleased. "It'll be fine."

"Four classes? Wow Alexander, at this rate you're going to be way behind." Mark said sarcastically. In truth he did have some admiration for how much he could put on his plate, though. Mark was sure to handle college much better than he did highschool, but that wasn't to say that it was any easier. Mark decided to not take too many classes because he knew that he'd have a hard time with both classes and sports, the latter of which gave him a scholarship in the first place. He was only taking three as a Freshmen, maybe more next semester... although likely not, as he'd have to catch up with his exercise routine once his foot was healed.

"... Just make sure to not push yourself too hard, okay? No shame in knowing what your limits are." It was with more concern than Mark had intended. He still cared about Alexander. Even when he thought that he had just up and left him, he had still wondered how the other boy was doing.

He shrugged. Mark could joke all he wanted, but four classes was lesser than he was used to. There was a reason why Alexander always took more than the average student. He didn't want to be bored, and he knew that he would miss the stress. Pressure always made him work more efficiently. Unfortunately, next semester he wouldn't have that extra push. He hoped he didn't get lazy. Mark's last words caused him to be taken aback. Was he worried about him? He raised his eyebrows and gestured to the crutches beside the male. "I'd worry about myself if I were you." Though he was flattered at his concern. Even to this day Alexander still didn't know how to respond when people worried about him. It always caught him off guard, and he had to find a way to tell the person that he would be fine.

"Do you need help getting to your next class?" He wasn't sure why he said it. His mouth a spoke even though his mind had yet to process the words first. He ran a hand through his hair. A gesture he had yet to drop when he felt uneasy or nervous. "Since we're going the same way."

"Exactly. I pushed myself a little too hard and got a broken foot... I mean, not that you'd get a broken foot, but..." Where was he going with this? Just why had he said that comment in the first place? Mark rubbed the back of his neck. He usually did so when he felt unsure or embarrassed, "... Just be careful."

Mark was just about to say that he should get going when Alexander offered the help. Mark wasn't expecting that Alexander would offer the help-- he'd struck him as the sort of person who would want to focus more on their own affairs, "... Sure." Mark said, starting to get himself up, "Maybe you could... help me carry my bag? It's a balancing act trying to keep it on my shoulder when I have my crutches to focus on." Mark wasn't desperate for the help, but he didn't feel like rejecting it either.

Back in high school whenever Mark was nervous he talked a lot more than usual. He tended to explain when he didn't have to explain or just rambled while rubbing the back of his neck. Apparently that hadn't changed. Alexander didn't mind. Although he appeared calm, internally he was nervous. He was always nervous around Mark. It was a mixture of a habit and their past. "Yeah, sure." He picked up the bag resting on the couch.

Did Alexander feel nervous too? He remembered that he would run a hand through his hair when he was nervous back in highschool, but with his calm appearance he didn't look nervous. Wait, did he appear nervous then? "... So, what class are you going to?" he asked, not wanting to be in awkward silence the whole way there.

Status
Not open for further replies.