The Sentence - IC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collab: @Asuras @RJS

Natalya listened to Tinette as she spoke. A place even Kaileb dared not go? Machinations? It seemed like there was a shadow war being fought behind the scenes of Goetia, one so secret that even the champions knew nothing of it. "Kaileb was the one who attacked us? What is he planning that we might fall prey to?"

Tinette placed a finger to her lips and pondered, "I can't be sure myself. He might have put his office inside the Library, but as far as my sources can tell, he hasn't let loose any sort of shady information within these walls. He's likely going elsewhere to deal in secrets. If you're the one's being attacked, I'm left to assume you've got more information on what's going on than me," she smiled.

Galina looked to Natalya hesitantly, wondering how much they should reveal, then glanced back to Tinette. Although she hated to admit it, the shape-shifter was right. They did have an idea of what was going on, of the power Kaileb was pursuing, and if he had ordered their deaths it was safe to assume that he feared what they might divulge. The question Galina asked herself was who should that information be divulged to? Left without options, she decided they had little to lose.

"The tome we were looking into when Gurmal's construct attacked us was the Heaven's Repertoire," she said, looking for some sort of reaction to the information. "We believe there is someone who can understand it."

Tinette's brow rose. "I've heard a few things about it. Word of Heaven, right? What does Kaileb have any use for in that, besides unending frustration?"

Natalya chewed her lip, wondering how much to reveal about the girl. Though Tinette had made no move to harm them, there was no guarantee that she had good intentions. Galina had already said more than she was thinking about saying. On the other hand, Tinette may be the only help they had...

"We...have reason to believe that there may be someone in Drisbane who has read the book. We also are almost certain Kaileb is trying to get his hands on her. What I struggle to see is why - calling down another Sentence would be catastrophic for us all, right?"

"Y-you mean actually read it? Like understood its contents?" Tinette stammered, quickly standing up from her leaned stance.

"Yes," Galina cut in. "But we don't understand how, and the only one besides Kaileb who knows anything else about this person died in front of us today." She sighed, looking to Natalya. "Right now, we don't even know where she is..."

"You don't know where she went, at all?!" Tinette rushed forward and grabbed Galina by the shoulders, shaking her gently. "No no. That' not good, not good at all." Tinette grasped at her forehead and paced around the room. "There's a girl walking around Drisbane who could kill everyone again, and we don't even know where she is..."

Natalya paused, thinking for a moment. Something about the mass deaths of the Sentence had jogged a thought in her mind. Something seemed off. "Hang on Tinette. You said that you were given this place by Librarians before the Sentence...How old were you when they gave you this place? Surely you must have been a child to survive it. Why did they give you this place, and why does Kaileb fear to come here?"

Tinette paused, looking confused, "I'm not sure why that's pressing at the moment, but I was fifteen when I was given this study for my dutiful and dedicated loyalty to research. Kaileb fears this place because he knows it's mine. Surely you don't believe he's as powerful as others make him out to be?" she crossed her arms tilted her head, "Why?"

Natalya buried her head in her hands. All this suspicion, all this paranoia, it was eating at her, making her ask stupid questions. She was jumping at shadows, seeing demons where there were none. "I'm sorry Tinette. It's just...everything has gone to hell today. Comrades have died, it seems my own faction is out to kill me, and I have to believe that the man who gave me the chance to be more than just a gutter rat is after my blood. Anyone who may have been able to help us is dead, and now I'm seeing treachery at every turn." Natalya swallowed deeply, and continued. "As far as we know, the girl was taken into custody by a group of Guardians. What happened from there, we have no idea."

Comrades dying, that phrase triggered Galina to have a suspicion of her own. "Natalya, we never found Clanna's body... what if she gave her own report to Kaileb and it didn't match ours?" The more she thought of it, the more it made sense. Everyone knew how loyal she was to Goetia "That wouldn't just mean he knew of our deception all along, it would mean... he already knows the Guardians are holding the girl!"

"Clanna? Clanna Lorn?" Tinette asked, looking postively puzzled. She didn't say anything else on her, but kept talking, "Well if we know the Guardians have her, I think it's best we let them know what's going on. If there's a group to trust in these times, it's the Guardians. I don't think of that man, Tycen, as anything less than pure-hearted," she suggested. "The more they know about her, the more they'll be inclined to keep her safe."

Natalya scowled. Great. Guardians. Just what she needed to hear. "Will they really look after her though? Wouldn't they just kill her to remove the threat, saving themselves a lot of effort in the process? What reason do they have to keep her alive?" Too many people she'd known, crippled or killed because the Guardians wouldn't step in to help someone who hadn't paid. The girl deserved better than that.

"Because I don't think they're that heartless. Certainly not the higher ups, anyways. I can't speak much for the ones at the bottom," Tinette said, "This isn't something they'd see as a job anyways, but rather as a pure interest." She smiled at Natalya.

"If you think they'll demand money for something like this..." she trailed off.

"Then that settles it," Galina said. "With nobody else to trust within Goetia, the Guardians are the only potential allies we have right now," she sighed. This had been a long day, and unless they took Tinette up on her offer of shelter, it would be longer still before they were done. No, looking at Natalya she realized they were both too tired to risk crossing blades with more of Kaileb's minions, they would need to rest and reflect on what they had learned while they could.

"Tinette… if this place is as safe as you say, do you mind if we rest here for now?" Galina asked, sagging against the nearby wall. "We've been through quite a bit today…"

Natalya yawned at the mere mention of resting. She could feel her body getting more sluggish, her eyelids beginning to droop. The nervous energy that had kept her going through the day had dissipated, to be replaced with a grim realisation. This was real. The worst case scenario had happened. And to go out like she was now was just asking for a death sentence. "The last thing I want to do is sleepwalk into another of Kaileb's lackeys and get myself killed. From what you've said, we probably outta try and stay alive as part of all this, given we're the only ones with a chance to stop him." The thought weighed on her mind. Was it ungrateful to go against Kaileb, after all he'd done? Were it not for him, she may be dead in an unmarked grave somewhere. Then again, it seemed the same fate awaited her now. What goes around comes around, and it seems that Kaileb's assistance had come full circle.

Well, this became more and more interesting by the minute. Following the woman towards the chapel, which became more and more akin to a cathedral, Este followed her partners custom, but not before giving off a lightly snarky comment. "So, Gerald, you DO have manners? Nonetheless, I am Esterellia Levanaros Asphodel." Well, she was paranoid enough to not do the grave mistake of lying, but then again, simply not mentioning her very very last name was no lie at all. As she kept listening to Asazaen she chuckled. "Patron of Assassins also?" Speaking to the group, and especially Aurora. "I might just become a tad paranoid, but I am assuming something bad happens. Now, 'never be out of someone elses sight' sounds, if I am to take it literally, very...annoying? How do we go about this? Make some big circle where everyone watches mostly everyone like in Kindergarten? Or are we going with some sort of partners? But even as much as a blinking could already mean..." Maybe she was just over thinking things, but considering the place they were in...

Cocky as always, was Kairen. Always assuming she was in charge, that she had the advantage, and that she could do no wrong. But what she failed to understand was that Elias did not much care for what she was offering so far. "Your respect means very little to me, you know. As does the respect of anyone else who might benefit from my help." But of course, she also had to threaten his business. That would get her nothing but more disdain. "And as expected, when you don't get your way, you threaten someone's livelihood. Good to know you haven't changed... not that you were capable of doing so in the first place."

Still, he knew that she could at the very least make things even more difficult for him. "Tell you what. Let's start over. You drop this 'demand' nonsense, and I'll try to be a little more open to your REQUEST. Sound fair?" He twirled the needle between his fingers as he spoke, ready to use it if the need arose. "Or perhaps I should just consider the conversation to be over? Ultimately, the ball is in your court now... so let me know what play you are going to make."

Kairen frowned. "You seem to think you can spin this in some way, as if you had the power to do so, and yet I see nothing on your end being said to sway me," she said. "But so be it, if you wish to try dancing around something so dire like a pup around an older dog, I'll simply take it is as your refusal to cooperate, no?" The vampiress turned for the clinic door and grasped the handle, waiting for any last response from Elias.

A classic feint if Elias had ever seen one, but one that forced his hand regardless. "I suppose you're leaving me little choice, Kairen. So I'll tell you what." Elias pressed the needle against his arm and took a couple steps toward his fellow vampire. "Its obvious I don't want to go along with you. But seeing as you're the same underhanded hag you've always been, I have no say in the matter." He pushed the needle into his skin and administered a hefty dose of hydromorphone to himself as he sat down where Kairen had been seated until recently.

"So. I'll take a nice nap. If you still want my help, I am sure I'll wake up where I'm needed. If not, then I'll have had a nice bit of rest and likely be gone shortly after the sedative wears off." A second later, the room began to fill with a faint mist. "It would be best if you chose soon. Otherwise we'll both be sleeping. Surely you understand I'd need to defend myself while asleep in case you called the Guardians. Thus, a sedative mist."

As expected, the sedative he injected himself with began to take effect quickly. Even as he spoke, Elias felt the world start to spin and become blurry. He'd likely be unconscious within the next minute or so. His smokescreen, while not as potent as a direct injection, would produce similar effects relatively rapidly if inhaled. Now the ball really WAS out of his court.

Kairen instinctively covered her mouth and nose loosely as she witnessed the room build up more and more with smoke. She glared at Elias as she turned to meet his stupored gaze. Holding her breath as she approached, her outstretched hand was the last thing he could acknowledge before consciousness slipped away.

Jv5OY9c.jpg

All had dreamt it. Good and bad. Well and in pain. Young and old.
Those events that day had led up to a sleep, as was the case for man.
They rested, and in their rest, they saw it.

A garden on the water's edge, filled with a myriad of colors and life. Dirt walkways, made up of a sandy texture and color, coursed through the vegetation, allowing one to lean down and smell the gorgeous collections. Though the air was still, the smells of the flowers wafted up and culminated into a general but pleasant fragrance that permeated the garden and beyond.

Surrounded by green leaves and the vines of creeping species, a girl hummed to herself without a care, tending to the flowers she so delicately... cleaved. Though the art was natural, accepting, beautiful, it seemed so... brutal. Her impassive face seemed all too wrong for the work she was doing, severing the branches and flowers from stems, one after another. It was heartless. The torn flesh of the plants fell to the dirt without a sound, and soon it was covered by the death of its brethren. With every clip of her tools, the dream world blurred, until naught but the watery wash of bright colors could be understood.

They tripped and fell on the walkways, falling into bushes, thorns, and benches. Soon they could not tell up from down as the colors melded together into one, and the world seemed uniform and blank. They could feel it, but they could not perceive it. As they lied upon the ground, stuck wherever they were, a voice called out. The girl that hummed. They stared forward as she stepped towards them from within the light that surrounded them.

Perhaps you will decide, one day, to tend this garden how you may. There is no right way.

The dreamers awoke, the memory of it all hazy and clouded.

Soon enough, the maid came running back to the hotspring, having apparently heard Kanade's magic blast well in advance of any of them attempting to fetch her. She fell to her knees as she despaired at the black scorch mark on the patterned wall, covering her anguishing face.

"What happened?!" she yelled, "What did you do?!" She furiously attempted to scrub away the burn with her own kimono to no effect. She wracked her hair as she paced about until the guests explained themselves, pointing out the pile of ash that Aesil was paying special attention to all the while.

The maid's look of terror switched to one of uneasiness. Her eyes darted back and forth between the guests and the open grate. She bit her lip and urged the girls to remain there, though suggested they get dressed quickly. She rushed out of the tub, and within a few minutes came back in tow with Otode. He waited outside the bath impatiently, tapping his foot, until the girls exited with or without a kimono that Kanade could have potentially (albeit hurriedly) managed to get on her comrades.

"You were attacked by a ninja?" Otode opened up, eyes glaring at the open doors just beside him, looking out into a courtyard. The maid noticed and quickly shut them closed. "What can you tell me about him? What were his colors? Did he have any notable symbol? Did he say anything?"

None of the girls could recall anything save for his black gi and silent demeanor. There was nothing else to glean. Otode clicked his tongue and crossed his arms. "Alright. You're going back to bed, or at least to your room for now. I'll have someone stand guard outside for the night, not to worry. Question the guards, find out if they saw anything," he ordered, turning to the maid. She bowed and hurried off.

"Whoever this was..." he trailed off. "Have a good night," he nodded to the three girls and walked off.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------​

An hour into their retreat to their room, the girls received yet another knock at their door. With a swish, it was opened, revealing a dutiful looking man kneeling just outside. He kept his head bowed and spoke politely.

"Good evening. I am Rasoba. I will be here outside your room for the night, as per Otode's orders." The first thing the girls could notice was that he was, unnervingly, a ninja. Though his eyes and upper head were uncovered, he was otherwise dressed quite similarly to the ninja that had attacked them. Then again, the uniform was rather unimpressive and mundane, as far as ninjas were concerned. It wasn't far-fetched to think they all wore the same thing in most cases.

"If you have any concerns, do not hesitate to call my name. I will be here. Have a good night's sleep," he said before shutting the door.

Tinette shrugged and cast a glance above. "Sure thing. I can't guarantee it'll be comfortable, but it'll certainly be safe. I myself won't be remaining here. If anything miraculously comes up, my familiars will be quick to tell me, so rest easy," she said. With a click of her fingers, she dimmed the entirety of the room. The crystalline lighting above shut itself off, and in turn, a wealth of candles were lit aflame. It was dark enough to sleep, but not so dismal that they couldn't walk about safely. "I'll come retrieve you in the morning, and we can all head off to the Guardian borough and sort things out."

Tinette transformed back into an owl before giving a parting glance. She flew off and into the dark hallway unheard. Galina and Natalya's nights went unperturbed, not even a whisper of wind to disturb their sleep.

The following morning, Tinette had indeed returned to the study to happily find Galina and Natalya not abducted and not minced to pieces. Giving a few words of encouragement to ease any fears they might have of going outside and through the Library again, she gestured for them to follow, a small bag tied around her waist.

"It'll be awhile, and I don't know if you have any money yourselves, but I'm bringing some items to munch on if we get hungry," she smiled. As they made their way through the Library, they caught sight of one or two Librarians mulling about, though one could never be too sure what they saw there was human, or even real. Tinette seemed confident enough and care-free; she was clearly unafraid of the shadowy dealings at hand, wherever they were.

Their trek to the Guardian borough was, much like their morning, unhindered and smooth, save for the strangely cold temperature compared to the previous day. The skies were vaguely cloudy, with the sun peeking out every so often to warm up their skin for a few minutes at a time. Much like the Guardians themselves, even Goetia members were welcome into the particular borough without question.

A bit of time was spent asking around the area for the right place to be to contact the Guardians until they were led to a triangular building at the corner of a street. Sure enough, the symbol of the Guardians was as clear as day on its walls, though the way there was what had required assistance.

As they approach the building in question, a few men stopped them before they could enter. It was apparently off-limits for the time being.

"The Warden and a few others are having an important meeting inside right now. We'll have to ask you to wait here until it's over," one of the men said, apparently a Guardian. "If you need something now, one of us may be able to help." Tinette turned to Galina and Natalya over her shoulder, as if expecting them to come up with something that would startle them enough to let them in.

Upon finding Eleena at the bakery, it was relieving to see in turn that she was alive and well, albeit slightly dazed from her recent awakening and lingering pain. A healer had come and gone while she was unconscious, leaving her with but "time" needed to fix what was left. Though she was simply left on a chair, she had an opportunity with Halberd present to find something a bit more comfortable to sleep the rest of the night on. The bakery was closed, and Carol was retrieved by Mimo before she had even gone to find Halberd in the graveyard. She was to stay at her own residence for the night; though she trusted many people, she trusted in her own knowledge and abilities first and foremost. The next best thing was dropping Carol off at Tycen Uma's feet, wherever he was, but that would have required a bit of haggling.

Halberd and Eleena found their place of rest and slept off the days events, awaking in the morning ready to understand what was "truly" going on... according to Mimo.

Her office, as much as it was a simple room within a building, was so utterly sealed from the public, that she required everyone vacate the premises until she was done. The Guardian building was emptied of its occupants, save for Mimo, Eleena, Halberd... and Tycen Uma. They sat at a long table on either side of one another. A few papers were pressed underneath Mimo's clasped hands. Tycen had his arms crossed, and through his heroic visage helmet, it was difficult to truly determine where he was looking besides "straight ahead".

Mimo cleared her throat and began, "Alright you two. I was initially reluctant to let you in on this, but I trust you enough to keep it a secret. You were there, after all, and you've proven yourselves capable friends." She looked up at Eleena and Halberd from a lowered gaze, as if stressing to them that she was still worried.

"The papers I submitted to leadership..." she said, "...are about Carol, what we know about her. Put simply... she, and countless others, are in grave danger if we don't ensure her own safety. I'm looking to you two to be my eyes and ears out there, and to make sure Carol is safe when I can't."

The two looked at one another with a dubious expression, the girl moreso. They did not jump nor gasp at his claim, and seemed wholly accepting, albeit with some hints of distaste in their eyes. The man shook his head as if to free himself of an opinion before speaking. "We've already notified her of her condition. She's taken it well so far, but she is question what lead up to these events. I myself cannot refrain from telling the truth, but if you believe it to be in her best interest not to know of your... mistake, then so be it," he said.

"That is, if you are truly repentant and embarrassed," the girl chimed in. She earned a swift jab from the man at her shoulder.

"We can take you to Kokusho, Junkiro. Follow us," the main beckoned as he walked out the door. The boy was led through wooden halls, and as he neared Kokusho's room, he could hear the mumbling of a conversation inside. As he stepped in view of the interior, he was met with none other than Utashou Hokoa's back. The Palace leader spoke softly to Kokusho who was resting on the bed, bandages wrapped around her abdomen.

After a minute, Utashou bid her goodbye and walked past Junkiro, an uninterested, blank look on her face as she did so. Kokusho's eyes lit up as she saw Junkiro, her smile welcoming him in like the gravity of a star. "Junkie! You came to see me! I hope you aren't hurt as bad as me," she grinned, poking at her bandages.

fUOL0uE.jpg

Jorn did indeed shoot Gerald a glance mixed with confusion and anger, though he refrained from calling him out on it. After a few seconds of his angry, targetless stare into the distance, he ended up breaking his expression with a silent chuckle. He should have seen through that. Aposto spoke up,

"Besides unnerving, this realm does sway my view of the afterlife immensely, if this is truly a place of demons," he said, positing the suggestion to Asazen. The white-cloaked girl nodded and mumbled an affirmation.

"The Courts of Hell are misunderstood, and the Overworld's teachings have long ago lost the correct information. When I was last outside, the views of Hell were horrendously incorrect. I suppose is it partially my own fault for such continued misinformation," she explained.

As Este introduced herself, Jorn cut in a teasing word, "Quite the long name for someone that goes to tournaments to get a cash reward."

"I will remain right behind you as we proceed. We don't need to go particularly far," Asazen commented, dismissing Este's worries. So long as you don't decide to run ahead recklessly, you should be fine." With a gesture, she had the six of them proceed forward, turning around to keep track of their backs as they continued inside through the crack in the wall. With directions from behind, Asazen lead them through the impossibly large atriums and hallways of the cathedral. Grisly arches, domes, branches of dead roots, and the occasional whisper of an unknown language into their ears summarized the minutes-long journey.

Eventually they came upon a rather peculiar location within the cathedral. As they entered the room, it became clear that the place was, seemingly, designed upside down. A deep dome was pressed into the floor, lined with painted stone into a basilica depicting harrowing scenes. Swathes of death-like apparitions hung scythes around the necks of kings and queens of all parts of the world. Headless bodies roamed about the blighted meadows depicted beneath them.

Asazen took a step forward towards the crater in the room, staring down the hall that extended on its other end. The height of the room was immense, and the hall beyond endless; the grey stone pillars lining the walls eventually disappeared into a wall of darkness.

"Lord Silzard, your guests," she spoke out quietly to the dark wall. Immediately, a gentle breeze washed over those present, and the sound of heavy, monstrous footsteps shuddered on the floor. The sound bounced off the walls erratically, masking its location and origin.

The oblivious ones. I heard whispers of your surprise at this realm, said a low voice, seeming as if the speaker were talking directly into their ears. I presume the caretakers of Asazen's entrance have vanished.

"You speak of the Madurn?" Aposto said calmly.

Them. Those magicians of greatest caliber. A shame that even their power was useless in preserving life. Why have you six come, then? Surely you do not think yourselves worthy of my teachings.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Beta

Elias awoke slowly, the effects of his sedative loosening their grip on his mind reluctantly. He found himself in a poorly kept bed, held aloft on a rickety, rotting wooden frame. The room was cold and the window looking outside allowed the merest hint of bluish light through. Beyond his bed, the room was empty of possessions, left with but a dusty floor and a single bucket turned upside down in the corner.

While his door was seemingly closed as he gained his bearings, the sound of it creaking caught his attention back to it; it had already opened, shut again, and been walked through by a veiled figure.

"Elias, welcome. I hope you are lucid and well? The mistress needs much done. She hopes that your 'stunt cleared your mind' as she so said, and that you are ready to do some work." The figure's body was obscured in the darkness of the room, with only the gleam of his eyes pointing out his location. Upon opening the door again and letting in candle light, it became clear he was a butler, and tall at that. He gestured outside with a smile.

"If not for her, consider it for us," he added.

A brief glance was all Gerald spared for Esterellia's comment before he turned away to face forward. Considering the girl hadn't introduced herself either, it was an insubstantial "complaint" at best. He did catch the glance Jorn shot in his direction, and di at least bother to bow his head in response. His lie hadn't gone unnoticed, but it shouldn't have been something for the other man to be terribly upset over.

It wasn't too surprising to hear that misinformation of Hell was abound he supposed. Given most texts on the subject matter were fairly old and had been subject to misinterpretation, revisions, and the author's own views, it was almost granted that what little he had read up on was to be taken with a grain of salt. What did catch his attention was that Asazen apparently had something to do with this; did she serve as an envoy even beyond this realm, interacting with residents of their "world"?

Este's worries and Asazen's reassurances aside, Gerald was simply glad to be on the move once more. The chapel's interior wasn't any more welcoming than the field of graves it stood in, but at least it maintained the atmosphere he supposed. Though he let his sight wander about the halls the group travelled through, it was never for too long and he always forced his eyes back to some of the group's members every so often.

He came to a halt as the ground ahead sloped downward into a massive crater before taking a step forward to peer into it. For a moment his gaze was held by the macabre work before him, but a flicker at the edge of Gerald's vision snapped him from the bout of inattentiveness. Though he pushed down the urge to step back, his eyes came up to the hallway opposite of the group as Asazen stepped past them and spoke. Shutting his eyes against the gentle breeze that suddenly appeared, he kept them shut as the floor shook beneath some massive being's steps. The warning had been fairly clear after all and the urge to glance around was easily held in check with his eyes shut in the first place.

Again though the voice appeared from right next to him, but for the third time in a single day the trick had lost the factor of surprise. Still… the former leaders on the bottom of the totem pole? A disconcerting thought, especially given his own position at the moment. At least the Demon seemed to have some modicum of respect, or at least acknowledged their prowess in a sense. The lump in his throat was swallowed and Gerald opened his eyes at last, careful to keep them from wandering now. "Curiosity and interest. Didn't expect to wind up in your Court, and can't say I know enough to claim I'm worthy or not." The being didn't seem too enamored with their arrival, but Aposto's calm was something that Gerald latched onto and bolstered his own resolve with. In the end, Asazen had mentioned that they hadn't simply stumbled in, but it had been Silzard that had brought them into its realm for some purpose.

Halberd
HP: ▋▋▋▋▋▋▋
Halberd was surprised he'd actually managed to get some rest in the previous night. Sure, his mind was at ease knowing that Eleena and Carol were both safe after the attack, but still. An assassin attacking right in the middle of the Guardian's Borough wasn't a normal event. To a certain degree, it was suicide. Whoever sent the assassin must've known the risks, and probably didn't even care. That bastard. Halberd's sleep was more or less dreamless for the rest of the night; thank the Gods the assassin didn't have the sense to poison the knife, otherwise he'd surely be feeling the effects of it by now.

As promised, Halberd arrived at the office on time along with Eleena. When he saw Tycen sitting with his arms crossed, clad from head to toe in his impressive suit of armour, Halberd did his best not to look surprised, saluting the Guardian leader before he sat down. This was the first time he'd actually seen the Guardian Leader, let alone been in the same room as him. Halberd slowly lowered himself onto a chair, leaning Retribution against a wall before doing so. Halberd had expected the ordeal to be a serious matter, but not serious enough to be closed off to other Guardians, and to have Tycen Uma attend.

After listening to Mimo's somewhat worried words, Halberd looked down at the table for a moment. Damn it all... Carol was only a child; why did the poor kid have to be in so much danger? And who were these 'countless others'? Halberd had a right mind to ask, but considering Mimo was reluctant to even tell him about the subject, asking for further information would just be way out of his business.
"Understood." Halberd said, his eyes glinting with determination. "I'll make sure nothing happens to her. She... she didn't do anything to deserve any of this." He didn't fully know why, but he just felt... inclined... to protect Carol. He... wasn't her dad, or big brother, or anything like that... But she'd lost her only friend, and was now alone in this dangerous world she'd apparently been shut off from. It would just be too cruel for somebody to try and kill or imprison her for whatever reason now. Halberd wondered if Eleena felt the same way.

"Where is she now? Unless there's another job you want doing, I'll guard her straight away once we're done here." Halberd said. He'd heard Carol went looking for him last night; Halberd wanted to speak to her about that... which made him wonder all the more if she'd been a witness to his Guillotine of Justice. Did Tycen know what Halberd did to the assassin? Would Tycen have done the same thing; did he think what Halberd did was right?

Natalya was not happy to be in the Guardian district, and even less happy at being stopped. But that wasn't the point. The point was to warn them, make sure they were suitably aware, make sure they were capable of protecting the girl. They owed her that much at least after murdering Astra in cold blood. If the Warden was holding a meeting, that meant influential Guardians would be there, right? If any time was a good time, now was. They didn't have time to hang around and wait for the meeting to end. Even if that meant making some crazy concessions to the bastards.

"Well, we do need something now, but I'm not sure you'd be great at dealing with a magical superweapon on a ticking timebomb hidden somewhere in this Borough, and an entire faction of dark sorcerors seeking to get their hands on it. As far as we can tell, the higher-ups know about it, but not what it is. We're hoping to make sure they take the appropriate precautions by actually giving them the information on it, and what it is. You guys are all about protecting people right? Imagine another Sentence, 'cause that's the level of devastation we're looking at should this thing fall into the wrong hands. If you let us talk to them, we may be able to stop that happening. Otherwise, there's gonna be a fuckton of parentless kids again.

Search us, disarm us, do whatever the fuck it takes to satisfy your fears. Fucking chain me up if need be, so long as you take me inside to talk to them."

With that said, Natalya unbuckled her scabbard, dropping the sword to the floor. Spreading her arms out to the sides, she stared at the guard, waiting for his reaction.

Kanade awoke refreshed, but uneasy due to the strange dream. She felt almost as if it meant something, but was left confused as to what it could mean. She dressed quietly in her usual armored clothing, before she woke the others. Her expression showed some lingering concern, most likely from the events of the night before, but she didn't immediately speak up about things so early. She did, however, insist Aesil dress herself properly, helping the other girl into a kimono and making sure she wore it correctly. It just wouldn't do to meet important people in shabby dress.

Over breakfast, she finally brought up the subject of the last night's events. "I have no clue who would want to attack us," she started with, "and that worries me. Though it's good that we survived relatively unscathed." She paused for a while. "I'm not sure if it was just because of all the excitement, but...I had quite the odd dream last night. It started nice enough, but something about it quickly went...well, off." She took a bit of time to describe the dream, as best as she could remember it. Until they knew the time of their audience with the Palace's officials, and even then, it wasn't likely to be immediate, there was no harm in some idle talk. And...even if it was just a dream, Kanade was looking for an affirmation...or something, from her friends.

Junkiro was a bit surprised at how coolly these two were taking his near-traitorous acts. If he were them, he'd've been beheaded on the spot. But, he was not privy to the social gestures of politics; who was he to dictate how they act? Besides, it kept him alive a bit longer. Even more surprising, they offered to take him to Kokusho, which Jun would have accepted instantly had they asked for his opinion. As it was, his night continued into day as he tiredly followed his two superiors off to see her.

The path was winding, but short. As he arrived, a surprising presence greeted him-what was the faction leader doing here? Whatever it was, the conversation was clearly not for himself, as his commanding officer quickly escorted her way out of the room as soon as he arrived. Now what could that be all about? He pondered this for a moment before he caught a glimpse of his friend's warm smile, which drew him to the side of her bed.

"Heya, Cookie. Nah, as you can see, not a scratch on me." Jun spun front to back, proving his good health. "Ya saved my life, don't ya know. If you hadn't come along when you did...well, there probably'd be one less kid around today." Junkiro tenderly skirted the topic of how they got to the point of ambush; that wasn't an area he wanted to lie about on no sleep. Instead, he took a seat on her bed, giving her a warm smile.

"I'm just glad you made it out alright in the end. But I'm a bit surprised...even Lady Hokoa visited you! What did she have to say to ya? It looked awful important." Not the subtlest of interrogations, but for the most part Kokusho was an open book. The two were friends enough to share secrets, but he wondered if something spoken by the faction head was something she would share. It wasn't PRESSING...but it'd be good information to get his hands on. After all, it might have been something related to his traitorous ways.

Eleena
"I think I had... a weird dream." She started her day with that statement. Well, it had removed any thought of her earlier one. On the process of healing, and with her speed, it was only a hop away from her own house, so she had retreated there for the night. Her hopes for a good nights rest were interrupted by that strange dream she couldn't quite remember.

Shortly after her daily morning schedule, Eleena met up with Halberd and headed for the Guardian headquarters. And she met with quite a pleasant surprise. Tycen Uma! Waaaaah! Hell yes! Important stuff going on right here, and Eleena was in the middle of it! ... Man, his armor was pretty cool too. Hrmph. Tyca had his armor, Halberd his Axe, and even Mimo had her gun. Maybe Eleena should look into investing into some better equipment... Her side ached as a woeful reminder.

As for the super secret meeting... ! ... It was kinda dissapointing. No big reveal, just a mention that there was a colossus in the shadows. Eleena sighed. "So... nefarious plans at work. Got it." It wasn't like she was planning on abandoning Carol anyways. But now it was clear that there was a reason why there had been a girl living with vampire. That vampire was either using or protecting her. She'd really like to believe the latter... "So did you investigate your informant for the vampire hunt? Try to contact Goetia?" Ever questioning yet quite accepting, she shifted in her chair. "I mean I could go to the west and ask around... But I'm not too good in geography and its likely they'd just snuff me out." Blue Hair certainly wasn't delusional about her own abilities. "So what's the plan? Are me and Great Axe just gonna focus on guarding Carol?" Great Axe? Congratulations Halberd, you're the first one to get a hero name.

And you know Eleena was sneaking a quick glance at Tycen now and then. Dude did look pretty cool after all.

@Asuras @Jakers

Aesil didn't sleep.

As the moon travelled through the sky, it's crescent shape drifting at a speed that was almost unnoticeable to the amethyst-eyed monster, she stayed awake, sitting against the wall. It was luxurious, yes, but she didn't feel like sleeping. There were too many experiences to give up, too many things to absorb. Though her stomach was emptying once more, and though hunger was crawling its way out of her throat, Aesil simply chewed on her bedsheets. The nighttime hoots of the owls, the sibilant whispers of the supernatural, the rush of crushing water, the vivid iron of spilt blood, the tantalizing aroma of banana bread, all those were absorbed and enjoyed by the beast girl as she stayed awake.

Her eyes never closed, even as a garden and a girl began to mingle with her vision. The delusions warped her thoughts, an unfamiliar voice scratching out the back of her eyes as the girl, awash with delicate ugliness turned the garden into herself. It was a hunger that Aesil could empathize with, a hunger for violence and destruction, to fill…what?

What was it that she was filling?
Ah, that's right.

To fill a blank existence with nothings, so that they could fit in with all the other nothings that existed in another world.

The moon fell to the sun, and Aesil still had not slept, the whites of her eyes bloodshot as rays of light drifted in through the window. The illusions, the delusions, disappeared, leaving Aesil with a single question as she watched her allies awake from their slumber.
Why didn't she eat her?
~
In the end, Aesil found that learning how to put on a flowery 'kimono', complete with pretty birds on it, was better than thinking too hard about anything else. Her hair was done up by Kanade as well, the messy tangles turned into a presentable ponytail of sorts, tied high up on her head. It reminded her of a horse, and, thus, reminded the beast girl that she was hungry again. As the maid brought up a sizable breakfast, she once again thanked the raven-haired woman, before tucking in with relatively wild abandon. The fish and the clear soup and the white rice and the weird green things all went down into her stomach rather quickly, silencing her hunger and making her feel just a little less sad about how Kanade wasted all that food in her hands yesterday.

Not sure what exactly the pink-haired girl wanted, she shrugged, drank down another bowl of miso soup, wiped her mouth with the sleeve of her kimono, and responded to the idol's first statement instead.

"Shadow was hungry. What else?"

Galina was rendered momentarily speechless by the content of Natalya's sudden and aggressive reply to the guards, although she supposed she shouldn't be surprised. A day with her would be enough for anyone to realize she harbored a… passionate dislike of the Guardians. Galina looked to Tinette, then to the men. Thinking quickly, she tried her best to mitigate her companion's aggression with a more persuasive and, perhaps, coherent reply.

"Uhhh… what my companion is trying to say is that we are champions of Goetia, and there is a dangerous and quite pressing magical concern which the Guardians need to be made aware of for the sake of Drisbane's safety. If you could let Warden Mimo know the Goetians from yesterday need to speak wit hher, she'll definitely recognize us." Galina replied, trying to stomach the fact that she was talking about the same Warden who had killed Melea without hesitation. The two of them could be walking into their own deaths, even if they were careful.

With her words added, there was little more that could be done, so she prepared to disarm as her companion had if it proved necessary.

"So, Gerald, you DO have manners? Nonetheless, I am Esterellia Levanaros Asphodel."

Suddenly the defeat at the arena match didn't feel as painful as it had been for the past day. Aurora was very aware of what that name alone carried with it from listening into her father discussions back when he was still apart of the Goetia. The family name Asphodel... that was a vampire lineage name. Of course Aurora had found it shocking how fast this royal girl could move originally along with how powerful she was just using her bare hands. Aurora's face however kept its usual blank approach as she curse herself out for not realizing she had been fighting a vampire. She then oddly sighed, and decided to keep the info to herself for now. Though clearly Jorn knew something about it as well from his teasing comment.

"Its not very proper to act childish in front of a Lord I would think," she spoke calmly to Jorn as if to defend Este from the unnecessary remark. Besides clearly at this moment as they were now in the presence of a Lord of Hell a place apparently misinterpreted to the living it was quite a sore idea to act in anyway childish, or impolite at this moment.

"I am Aurora Spiere, and while I do greatly apologize for intruding on your land... since you have offered us a audience with such grace "we" were hoping you could possibly tell us about the child of the Madurn," Aurora knew the question had to be on everyone's mind. Clearly the Madurn knew about the existence of this realm, their escort, and the lord of the realm. Which meant the other way around must have been true as the Lord of Shadows clearly stated his displeasure of their deaths. Aurora herself was very curious about the nursery for such people as the Madurn to keep something as such a secret in the most sacred of places meant something way more then could every be theorized.

"I cannot say for sure, but I theorize someone from our realm possibly knows about this child more then we do... and could potential use them in a worse for wear manner if the child has any such ability," Aurora had always found it odd how Kaileb had entered the Sanctuary without any issues, and came out preaching how he would lead the Goetia in the way the Madurn meant for them. Especially now with what her group was experiencing it was clear to say Kaileb either entered in knowing what was inside, or discovered something about what was inside.

"All we seek is to level out the playing field as far as knowledge goes Lord Silzard."

Lyssa frowned as she awoke, slightly disturbed by the dream she vividly remembered. Strange. She never had a dream that wasn't hazy, and yet she could remember this one clear as day. Shaking her head, she nonetheless began to put her armored robes on, intent on looking presentable today when they met with Palace's leader. If she was to be executed in response to Konyuu's capture, she would die as the last proud scion of the Elspeths.

During the morning meal, Lyssa found her attention piqued when Kanade revealed the details of her dream, and Lyssa realized that it had been the exact same as hers. What was happening here? Some sort of Palace sorcery? No, this wasn't Goetia. That didn't make sense. Nevertheless, she felt it was important to at least tell Kanade this.

"Strange. I had the same dream as well, down to the exact detail you mentioned." Lyssa said before shoving more fish and rice into her mouth. "This is...unsettling. As for the assassin, he was probably sent by whoever orchestrated that little blockade that held us up yesterday. Someone here clearly doesn't like us."

"Quite the long name for someone that goes to tournaments to get a cash reward."

Este gave off a scorning laugh before speaking up. "For a cash reward, so?" While more money was always nice, their mansion still had enough clutter that she could fund something ambitious. First and foremost, she joined for the fun of it. Regardless, he did dare to mock her, and if not for their current circumstances she would have made sure to put that foul-tempred inbred low-burn gutter rat into his place. Alas, all she could do was talk back. Though before the vampire could give him a taste of his own medicine the armored woman cut in, trying to defuse the situation.

"Its not very proper to act childish in front of a Lord I would think,"

Hmpf, whatever. "The beautiful-eyed one is right, though not like I can expect manners from the equals of you." That was the calmest Este could manage for now. Hopefully, this whole adventure would be worth in the end. Concentrating now on more important matters at hand again Este followed, making sure that everyone was still together from time to time until they came to a stop. A room, so chaotic in nature that it was literally upside down, nonetheless the decoration was just lovely!

Just a few seconds and a few small tremors later they were also greeted by the owner of this place. She couldn't see him, nor did she look for him, just as told. And, to no surprise anymore, his voice coming out as if he was right besides her was most likely the first lesson of his teachings. Nonetheless Este gave a small bow in no particular direction. "It's a pleasure to meet you. My name is Esterellia Levanaros Asphodel Forbes"" This time, Este considered it right to not cut off her vampiric noble name. Then again he already knew, but manners were manners, and considering he was not an inferior human she couldn't start imaging what would happen if she started lying. Nonetheless, HE invited THEM into his house and now he asked US why they came? She couldn't care less for some in-faction politics, as in the vampires mind, she would crush them all the same. And for the reason she came here, giving a quick glance to the very same man that invited her onto this mission. "As for why I am here, I got lured with the promise of knowledge and power." At first Este was about to say fooled, but considering she already gained quite the insight onto demonic reality that would have been a lie. Actually now, there was a certain thing that came to her mind in regards to Aposto, but asking anyone else in presence of the Lord would have been rude.

Whatever happened to the maid, had been replaced with the stoic face of Rasoba, the ninja. He lead the girls to a small dining room, handing each of them a pre-prepared soup for breakfast, remaining silent and out of the way as they conversed between themselves. His presence, seemingly, was a work in absence; he tried his best to be as unobtrusive as possible, almost non-existent. Typical of a ninja, they supposed.

As they finished their meal, the ninja, for once, chimed in, and gestured for the door. "If you are finished eating, I may lead you to the Princess. My apologies, but Otode has instructed me to stay with you throughout this trip, for your safety," he said, bowing at his knees.

The ninja brought them to a carriage outside of Otode's manor, opening up the door and helping the girls inside. The trip to the next immense residence took nearly half an hour, passing beyond a series of well-fortified gates. Eventually they made it to the Palacian fortress, a massive wooden structure sitting atop an artificial hill and surrounded by countless other buildings within the red-painted gates. It was a small city of its own, it seemed. Outside, the girls were met with a troop of maids and butlers, as well as an entourage of formidable champions, though they stood a ways away from the carriage.

Inside, they coursed through massive hallways and stairs, eventually leading up into a magnificent room. Six pillars stood just off of the center of the room, and at the far end, an elevated throne sat. It was far different in architecture than Efrida's own. Rather than being made of stone and metal, the throne was a pyramid of wooden platforms, looking almost like a shrine with its work of beams and paper decorations. At the height of the chairless throne sat a small girl, the Princess.

Utashou Hokoa stood at its steps, seeming as if to be the Aosoki's guard more than anything. Rasoba had long departed from the Aesil girl's sides, though indicated he was not 'truly gone'.

"What are your names, champions?" Utashou called out. The girls were instructed to seat themselves in a kneeling position far from the throne. They had to speak loudly to carry their voices across the length of the room.

One of the guards scoffed. "Like I haven't heard that one before!" he said, nudging another Guardian's arm with his elbow. "Eh?" His friend, however, did not respond with such comedy. His look was concerned but hesitant. He glanced backwards at the Guardian building briefly before speaking.

"Word gets around here quickly, and our higher ups are not one to make stuff up," he said, turning to his comrade, "Things add up here, if you ask me."

"What? What now? You're not thinking of letting them in anyways, are you?" the Guardian responded. His friend shrugged and gestured with his hands as if to say, 'Yea, kinda'.

"I'll let you in, but I won't go in myself. If you've truly got something pressing to say that's important to the Warden right now, then I shouldn't be worried... for you anyways," the Guardian said, "But if you're just making stuff up... Well I guess you get what's coming." Tinette nodded with a smile and grinned at the two fellow Goetians.

Their Guardian aid walked them towards the Guardian building, earning a lot of confused looks from others around him. He kept his head bowed as he opened the door for them. The interior was quiet and dim. Not much of the outside light made its way into the welcoming room, most of it falling short just in front of the windows.

"They'll be in Warden Mimo's office, first floor, down that hall," he pointed before closing the door. They made their way down the specified hallway, picking up on a faint discussion coming from one of the rooms at the end. Tinette took charge, knocking twice on the office door before promptly opening it up, revealing a familiar pair of three, as well as a living legend, sitting at one table.

Mimo instructed both Eleena and Halberd to slow down, Eleena moreso with a direct gaze into the girl's eyes. "Hold on hold on. You're not here just so I can hand out some more orders. You two need to know why I'm even doing this." Mimo cleared her throat again pointless; it seemed she was slightly nervous herself about the news, or rather revealing it.

"My experience with the vampire was a short one, but it was more important to me than anything I've done in my life thus far. The vampire, along with another Goetian, and I, were in that attic for but a mere minute," Mimo explained, "The Goetian seemed to be there for the purpose of getting the vampiress to return to their faction, for whatever reason. I know not the details of that affair. The vampiress was quite aggressive and immediately attacked her, killing her instantly. I had nary a moment to fire my gun before she was by my side. We traded blows briefly, before I got off a good shot on her."

Mimo took a deep breath before continuing. "In her dying breaths, she imparted on me some knowledge... about Carol. She gave me her name, her birthplace, and her fate if I didn't protect her. She is a child of the Madurn Covenant, though I am unsure how such is even possible, but that's besides the point. The vampiress described to me a natural and terrifying power Carol possesses, though she was hesitant to truly reveal its nature."

She glanced to Tycen, "Tycen and I have opted to begin an investigation into Goetia to gather more information on the matter. It was clear to me from what the vampiress said that this matter is not dangerous solely to Goetia-" Before she could finish, there was a knock at the door. Mimo glared at the door, clearly flustered by the apparent disobedience of her underlings. But as the culprit made themselves known, she instead jumped to her feet, grabbing her gun. Tycen remained in his seat.

"Who are you!? You're not with the- it's you!" Mimo raised her gun to point at the three Goetians that stood in the doorway.

Kokusho waved her hand as if to dismiss Junkiro's suspicions about importance. "Nothing special, really. She just came to tell me that she'd get the best healers she could get to help return my memories. I really hope they can! I'd hate to lose a week's worth of stuff I did. What if I did something really fun, you know?" Kokusho shifted in her bed, thinking.

"Hey, I don't suppose you and I did anything besides whatever happened" she rolled her eyes and smiled, "...last night, did we? I'm trying to get a gauge on what I've done the last week without the healers. Might as well get my mind jogging right?" She punched her fists together.

"But man, I sure want to get back at whoever sent that beastie thing after you and I last night. It takes a real kind of dickery to use a Memoranth! Those things are nasty you know? I'm lucky it didn't get more hits on me. I might have forgotten my own name!" She patted her bed and sighed.

"I hope I can get out of here soon. You're not busy lately, are you? I need something to do!"

"I suppose those mages were secretive in their doings. I imagine none knew of their interest in my realm." There was a long silence from the demon. "I presumed that those feeble souls skirting at the edge of my sight in that tower were seeking entrance, and so I folded you into this place. I apologize if such was not your intent."

At the mention of a child of Madurn, Asazane's eyes averted to the side. The demon chuckled lightly. "Yes, that thing. Is it still locked in there like a bird? The poor thing must be at least twelve years old now."

"So. One of you has passed into my domain out of curiosity, one for but a single question, and another for more mortal pleasures."

Suddenly, a long, thin black sword pierced the ground right in front of Este, its length even taller than her own height. Looking upwards, she found an abyssal visage staring back down at her from behind. A knight of black armor and an obscuring hood stood just behind her, hand grasping the titanic sword that stood grimly before her.

"I can easily supply information on the girl, Aurora Spiere. She is a child born of my apostle's spirit and the Madurn themselves, a living diction of otherworldly languages that could prove the key to power for any kingdom and beyond. Her word is death to all who hear it -a spoken spell that no man can resist succumbing to... even for the deaf."

"As for you, vampiress," the demon said, "If it is power you seek, I require something in return. I can supply you with one of the ruler's greatest tools, if you choose to help me. For the studious man, I can only offer a chance at greater and greater inquiry and novelty, if you stick with your comrades here."

"I desire Kaileb dead!" Zaie suddenly spoke out, though she quickly realized her loud voice was not welcomed by Asazen's stare.

"And I," Aposto added, "an answer to a question I've long had." Jorn's two comrades looked to him then, as if expecting him to request something as well. He shook his head and smiled.

"I suppose I'd like something as well," Jorn said, "But I'll have to think on it."

"Very well. I am a Lord of Hell, and so I urge you to trust me in the matters of pacts. Should you succeed in my request, I will not fail in giving you what it is you desire."

Halberd
HP: ▋▋▋▋▋▋▋

Halberd amusedly snorted. 'Great Axe'. Could be worse, he supposed. Halberd needed to remind himself to call Eleena 'Blue Bolt' or something later.

With Mimo's words, though, the mood quickly shifted. Halberd uncomfortably swallowed at the information about Carol. He'd always suspected something wasn't normal about the girl, but... a 'natural and terrifying power'? Whatever it was, it was clear Carol didn't know she possessed such a power - perhaps she didn't even know how to use it. Was this 'terrifying power' enough to put the whole of Drisbane in danger? If so, then of course some maniacs wanted to retrieve her. With power like that, someone could seize a huge amount of control over Drisbane.

Tycen seemed to be awfully quiet on the matter; Halberd had barely seen him move yet, but he supposed that was just the man's personality. Nobody really knew what was behind that suit of armour, after all.

Another thing that confused Halberd was the vampiress. Why would she just give Mimo information, if she was clearly a cold-hearted killer who, apparently, instantly killed another Goetian? The vampiress clearly wasn't as passive as Carol had made her out to be. Maybe the vampiress didn't want Carol to get in the wrong han-

*Knock* *Knock*

"What in the..." Who would interrupt a meeting like this? Whatever it was, it had to be important. Turning his head, Halberd's eyes widened a little in surprise when it wasn't Guardians who were at the door. Huh... that brat who'd mouthed them off back at the mansion, as well as her quiet accomplice, and another woman Halberd hadn't even seen before.

"...You?"

Of all the people, why the hell were they here?

Halberd remained sitting, although his hand was hovering behind him in the direction of his axe. If they were planning to attack, doing so with Tycen Uma in the room seemed like the worst idea in the history of Drisbane. It wasn't like they'd knock on the door if they planned to sneak in here; Halberd supposed they got here legitimately. Therefore, he remained calm, although tension was clearly in the air.

"Well... you're here, because...?" Halberd asked after a long pause, keeping his stare carefully on the three. He couldn't see any weapons on them - not that they were dumb enough to try anything. Halberd hoped he wouldn't need to spill blood again so soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
A raised eyebrow and a slight step away from Aurora hopefully served to indicate that her question was far from the group's consensus. Certainly while he was curious about the matter, it was fairly low on the list of priorities in his head at the moment. Still, if that hadn't made things clear enough, he did mutter, "Speak for yourself."

The demon's voice rang out once more and Gerald had to admit, the creature was polite enough that it would have been easy to drop his guard had the group been in a more relaxing environment. As it was the foreboding surroundings kept him on his toes and constantly wary. Thus when the sword of night slammed in front of Este, his only reaction was to glance sharply at the object's sudden appearance. Size and material aside, as it didn't look like mundane steel, he couldn't make out any other distinguishing feature.

His attention was refocused elsewhere though as Aurora's question received an answer at last and Gerald frowned. That… was troubling at best, more so that Kaileb had apparently had access to the girl for several years by now. Who knew what sort of things he'd manage to learn or convince the girl of in that time.

Concerns for a later time perhaps though as the demon spoke once more; addressing one of his suspicions and raising another number of concerns at the same time. So Este wasn't a human, but a bloodsucker and one with attitude. Given how contemptuously she'd acted around the group for the most part, Gerald highly doubt she cared about the condition of her "food", and now she was making a pact with a demon. … There was no way in hell he was letting that follow through.

How to stop it though? He could envelop the vampire with Decay, obscuring her from everybody's view and letting whatever mechanics within the chapel deal with her, but that was a crapshoot at best. With no idea of what exactly happened to those who were lost sight of and the demon's very presence, it was a gamble stacked against his favor. That aside, if he wasn't wrong it had been Aposto who'd recruited her to the group in the first place and Gerald had no wish to try and test himself against the "man"; not that he'd last very long. Even without other interferences, given the surroundings he would find himself at a disadvantage in a straight fight with the vampire. Their kind were supposed to be physically superior to humans in the first place and her fight earlier today was enough that he knew he'd have trouble avoiding her. So not at the moment… Perhaps he could bring the Guardians down on her head afterwards, but if the others in the group ended up serving Silzard would they support one another?

Questions without answers, considerations for a later time as the demon mentioned him offhandedly. Comrades was stretching it quite a bit, and Gerald hummed in thought momentarily before he shrugged. "That would depend on the exact terms, don't quite like being tied down too tightly." Unmentioned was that he also wasn't about to stick with Este for any longer than he had to.

"Well... you're here, because...?"

"Of all the people to be in the room...", Natalya thought, recognising the familiar faces...and...was that Tycen Uma himself? That was a rarity. The guard's comments at the door had her slightly unnerved - their safety relied on their information, and it seemed the Guardians were a lot more aware than they seemed. Could they have come all this way, only to have been turned back? There still had to be some hope though.

"Because we have every reason to believe that you don't know quite what it is you have in your posession. Because we know that there are people who would do whatever it takes to get their hands on her. Because...because just for knowing this, we've been the target of an assassination attempt, with more to potentially follow. I suggest you listen carefully, if you truly mean what you proudly proclaim. I'll start from the beginning.

Astra, the vampire you killed yesterday. She was a direct subordinate of Kaileb, carried out his commands. They were so close some whispered that they were lovers. Until she disappeared suddenly, leaving no trace. Our group of four was sent to look for her by Kaileb. We found her, she attacked us. You showed up and you know the rest up to the point where you took the girl away. We went into the house, found Astra dying. She pointed us to a specific book in the Library, said the girl could read it knew the words. We followed that to the Library, where we learned the name of the book." Natalya paused, staring into the eyes of the Guardians, daring them to stop her. "The Heaven's Repertoire. The last book the Madurn Covenant provided before their death at the hands of the Sentence, it was a written record of words even they could not read, but nevertheless were the last words they heard before the Sentence."

The words that called down the Sentence on mankind.

Just for finding this out, we were attacked by a construct made by one of Kaileb's minions. We know he wants the girl, and because Astra was formerly so loyal, we can assume he has no good intentions towards her. So...if you're all here, who the fuck is guarding her right now?"

Eleena
She just blankly stared at Natalya. "Aaaannnnnd did ya burn the book?" Yeah, take that. She can ask proper questions that make others seem like idiots too. ... Still, The Sentence? This was a pretty big deal. Way over her little head, that's for sure. She wasn't some big shot hero. That was Tycen and Mimo's job, right? "Well if you want to help, then it's probably your job to be on the offense, yeah? What with trust issues, and one of the masterminds being on your own turf. But well..." She looked between Tycen and Mimo. It was their decision, after all. She shrugged. They had already helped, and she didn't have any bias against them helping more. At the very least, they probably weren't the ones who sent the assassin after her and Great Axe. Though the new one... Ah well. Lately, her planning hasn't been going so. She should probably think more before making decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.