The Sentence - IC

Status
Not open for further replies.
NrOIoQB.png

@ERode @Psyker Landshark @R-9 Pilot

The mere sight of a hand blocking her path earned Aesil an enraged look upon Francisca's face. She held the sword where it was, but by how tense her arms and hand seemed to get, it looked for a moment like she was ready to execute one of her own.

"I was stationed here as the highest command where Efrida could not respond," Francisca snarled, "Unless her angels have anything to relay to me, you are not one to tell me what I can or cannot do!" She allowed Kanade to take the sword after her outburst, and took a step back as she released Konyuu's head and glared at Aesil.

"You will execute her," she confirmed to Kanade, nodding. Before the champion could even lift the immense weapon, however, an invisible force seemed to keep it pressed upon the ground. With a woosh, Ildaem reppeared before the group, his hand laying upon Francisca's sword, as if calming it.

"No," he plainly stated, "Efrida has said that she wants Konyuu alive and brought to her directly." Francisca looked taken aback, clearly surprised the angel was even present.

"I-Ildaem! Why are you here? I was told only Drakanael would be at the Citadel..." The angel merely gave a faceless glance and turned to the other three. "Efrida has ordered me to take her back myself, and to direct you three to the Palace Borough. You will broker a deal."

"I see. Konyuu as a hostage is nothing to scoff at," Francisca said, "What does Efrida demand?"

"Surrender. A cease and desist on any further action by the Palace against her rise." The angel leaned down and yanked at something at Konyuu's neck. With a toss, he threw the pendant at Lyssa. "If they do not believe we have her, show them that. Perhaps it is something unique to this woman."

"Tell them, that if they act again, we will execute Konyuu Shora."

The boy pushed up his glasses and looked quite interested, eyebrows raised and head nodding repeatedly. Still, he eventually sighed and returned to his mumbling, shaky self. "Oh that man. That man. Has the nerve to make an office space here... can't even come ask me himself! How lazy!" The Librarian beckoned for the girls to follow as he walked through the shelves. "Has to send twe people... Two people! I'm sure where he's been he's got knowledge on the book already, why now?" He rambled to himself throughout the entire walk.

Eventually they came upon a nook within the library lacking in shelves. Instead the walls around them were but stone, carved to look like rows of books. Glowing runes hovered in front of each of the carvings, each of them intricately different from one another. "Ah, though I suppose he's unfamiliar with the magics needed to retrieve one of these!" The Librarian traced a finger across the rows of runes, eventually stopping upon one.

Its symbol was the same as the one Galina memorized.

With a simple yank in front of the rune, the Librarian pulled a book from thin air and surveyed its front briefly. "Here it is." He handed it to Galina before crossing his arms. "Still can't understand what you'd want with that. Not even the Madurn themselves could read it, they just wrote what they 'heard' right before they died... or so I've been told." His eyes sparkled with interest as he continued on.

"You have heard of it... N-no, what am I saying of course you haven't!" Without asking, he snatched the book back from Galina and quickly opened it up, flipping through the pages. "H-here, this one right here. You know what this is?" He traced his finger over the arcane runes. "The Madurn Covenant, as I'm sure you know, writes down new spells for us to learn, right? Right before the First Sentence, one of them 'heard' the words of Heaven, and they wrote them down right here, in this book! No one really knows how, considering even they could not read the very symbols they wrote down, but supposedly they did it!"

He closed it and returned it back to Galina, his voice calming down. "That, that right there... Is the power of Heaven in written form. It's a shame none of us can read it, though. Anyways, just put the book right up against its symbol on the wall when you're done." The Librarian retreated back into the labyrinth of shelves outside of the room.

The girl, fortunately, did not make a break for it at any point during the trip, keeping quite close to Halberd's side. She clearly seemed a tad bit frightened of the place, likely due to its unfamiliar nature and her being away from anyone she truly knew. As they entered the bakery, Halberd could see Carol's face light up at the merchandise laying out before her. Her jaw literally dropped, and she approached the foodstuffs slowly, as if about to pounce on a small animal. When she was handed an entire cake, she seemed incapable of even acting; she was frozen in place, a plate of sweets mesmerizing her.

"I can eat this?" she asked, looking up to Halberd. Hesitantly, she picked up the cake and took a bite out of it, practically reeling with joy as it touched her tongue. A loud 'Mmm' escaped her as she chewed, face overrun with delight. "What is this?!" she shouted, taking another large bite. Clearly she'd never had cake before, and she made no effort to restrain her consumption of it. "Can I eat this every day?!"

As she finished, the moment had passed, and she eyed the plate of crumbs, as if hoping to higher powers that another cake would miraculously appear on it. After a minute without such luck, she looked up to the two Guardians and pouted. "So who are you guys anyways? Are you mercenaries or something?" She was about to ask a third question when she opted instead to forgo whatever it was, looking grimly to the side.

"Not everything needs to be smashed to pieces to get something important done," she responded, lifting her hat, and gaze, up to meet Junkiro's. Cat-like, shining yellow eyes met with his own. She lowered her hand from her cap and rested it upon a sword at her side. "Indeed I would have looked for someone else I needed someone to fight for me."

The woman leaned on one leg and smirked at the Palace champion. "Why does everyone nowadays assume everything involving shadiness is a fight waiting to happen? You Palace people are known for your ninjas and assassins and what-not, no? What ever happened to good-ol' surveillance?" She shook her head and became a bit more formal with her tone.

"No, what I need from you is exactly that. Surveillance. While the Palace has their own moles, mine does all the same. I know you're not the most attached to your faction, which is why I've come to you in particular. All I request of you is to relay information from time to time. You can do that, can't you? You don't even have to act strangely or sneak about anywhere!"

Lifting her chin, she looked down upon Junkiro and grinned. "Think you can do that for me? There's a steady pay in for you."

"Anything in particular? Well, whatever catches our eyes I suppose," Jorn said, still looking around. Without much hesitation, he used a boot to lift up some sort of metallic armor piece on the ground, checking for something underneath. Finding nothing, he let it clang back down.

"I'm underwhelmed thus far," Zaie commented, looking quite dull.

"I do hope I'm not the only one hearing things though," Jorn added. "Am I?" Zaie slowed down to find herself at Gerald's side.

"Are you seeing anything with those eyes of yours?" she asked him under her breath. As the group ascended higher, they eventually reached a ceiling, though the stairs continued upwards into an opening. Soon enough they found a door at its peak. Jorn reached for the doorknob and... it opened without a hitch. Filing inside, they were met with a strange sight.

Various childish things were spread across the floor. Toys, stuffed animals, books, and drawings of strikingly variable skill layered the ground. A bed was pushed to one corner, along with a desk and a number of pillows piled up to make a sturdy fort. Above, a ceiling of painted glass allowed light to pour into the room. There were no windows. A few other doors were present besides the one they had just entered.

"Is this... a nursery?" Jorn asked, reaching down to pick up a wooden, faceless doll, "None of the Madurn had a child, right?" he turned to Zaie, who shook her head.

"Not that anyone could have known," Aposto said, "These Madurn were not ones to reveal everything about themselves, I am sure. This tower's legendary status is proof."

"I have a feeling Kaileb knows," Zaie spat.

The voices from before had fallen silent for a few minutes within the nursery, but eventually returned with a vengeance; they were no longer whispers, but clear words in the ears of each of the other three champions.

Your mother would not have wanted you to leave, Aurora heard it say.
A boy cannot pursue his career without attaining notoriety, it said to Gerald.
Your line is dead it hissed to Este.

The presence was proof enough of Aurora's reply he supposed. As the group meandered around aimlessly, Gerald glanced back just as the glow faded from his eyes. "Not in any meaningful capacity. I knew of your father, and you by extension, when I was still a part of Goetia." His reply was finished with a shrug and he turned away from her after a few moments to separate, noticing Zaie's approach.

"Nothing. It's either not sustained by magic or one's life, or simply hides itself well," he murmured back before he began to follow the others up towards the tower's peak. Thankfully he was one of the taller individual's amongst the group otherwise his position at the rear might have been a pain. As the six of them stepped onto the tallest floor, the lone door was opened without resistance and Gerald's eyes narrowed. Like the others he stepped inside and took in the finely furnished room for a few moments. "Well we can make a guess as to what he found in here at the least…"

His voice trailed off as the presence returned, stronger than ever before, no longer whispers but clear, distinct words for him. "A notorious boy also tends to have a short career." His retort was whispered under his breath and with a grimace, Gerald took a deep breath as he braced himself for what he might see and then blinked. The fact that he wasn't blasted back to normal vision in blistering pain was a plus, but a quick glance around revealed about as much as every other bout of True Sight had since he entered the tower. At least that was until he glanced upwards and towards the room's ceiling. 'Today is just full of surprises...' His second Sight was never truly dark, even areas that had long been abandoned by the living held traces of life, the barest wisps that colored the otherwise bleak world. Yet above the six sat a void in his sight, the trails of energy coursing through the tower simply ceasing to exist upon contact with the area. Unsettling to say the least…

"I think it's time for us to leave…" he muttered to the group as he returned his vision to normal and stepped back towards the door through which they'd entered. While not necessarily correct, it seemed fairly clear that their intrusion into this area had caused the presence to react. That and Gerald wasn't all too comfortable with the anomaly hanging overhead. Maybe he'd flick one of the many enchanted artifacts in just to see what happened, but that'd be after he was a safe distance away.

Halberd
HP: ▋▋▋▋▋▋
(+Quick Collab with Asuras)
Halberd closed his eyes, giving a quiet chuckle to himself as Carol relished the sponge cake. Had she even had cake before? There were so many question Halberd wanted to ask Carol - such as why she was even in that building, or why she was friends with a vampire in the first place, but he was worried he'd make her upset. Making her upset could lead to her trying to run, so Halberd just decided to act casually for now.
"Can I eat this every day?!" Carol exclaimed. Halberd smirked; it was like this was a whole new world to her.
"Heheh... glad you like it. I'm sure you could have some cake now and again, but don't overdo it. Too much of it isn't good for you." Halberd said plainly, biting into another piece of hard tack. They said sugar rotted your teeth, but the hard tack rations he was supplied with BROKE your teeth if you weren't careful enough. Anyway, he was glad Carol was behaving; it made the whole situation much more relaxed.

Soon enough, Eleena arrived. She didn't look very pleased about something... huh, that wasn't like her.
"Rough trip?" Halberd asked, raising an eyebrow. He then watched the scene unfold with her and Sarah, wincing a little as he watched Eleena get slapped around the face.

"Ouch..." Halberd whispered to himself, cringing a little. He made a mental note not to get on the wrong side of this bakery owner. Halberd tried not to stare as Eleena returned to the table, with a great red hand-shaped mark across her face.

"So who are you guys anyways? Are you mercenaries or something?" Carol finally asked.
"Not exactly..." Halberd began, leaning back on his chair. Did she know who Guardians were? Like... Halberd knew she was a kid and all, but she must've been separated from the world around her to never hear about Guardians.

"We're champions of the Drisbane Guardians. What that means is: it's our job to keep the city safe, and make sure people who do bad things..." Halberd suddenly trailed off for a moment at the word 'things'.

He could see the scene in his head. He could see her being killed again. He could remember the sight of his own sister's blood. 'HALLUS!' She'd screamed before death. 'HALLUS!!'

"...never do bad things again." Halberd ended plainly, forcing the vision out of his head. He then looked up, watching as Carol turned away. It looked like she was about to ask something else, but the look on her face explained things.

"Something else you wanted to ask...? It's alright, you can ask us." Carol shook her head vigorously and shut her eyes tight, as if trying to keep words from spilling forth.
"No, never mind," she said, eyes averted, "It's nothing, really." She muttered, clearly not being sincere. Halberd raised an eyebrow, before sighing to himself quietly. He didn't want to be too inquisitive and make her upset, but if something was on her mind, he wanted to make sure she just said it.
"Carol... I know we only just met today and all, but... if there's anything that's on your mind, now's the time to say it. I don't mean to be persistent, it's just..." Halberd trailed off, rubbing the back of his head before giving a quiet sigh again. "You sure there's nothing you want to ask us...?"

Her lip quivered for but a second before she spoke up, albeit a bit too loudly for the atmosphere,
"Why'd you have to kill Astra!?"

Halberd was still for a moment, looking down at the floor. He had a feeling she was going to ask this. What was the best way he could put it to her...? He didn't want to make a child cry, but he still felt like he had to tell her the truth.
"...I..." He began slowly, then closed his eyes. He had to say it. "...Mimo had to... otherwise... innocent people would have died." Halberd said quietly. It pained him to do this, more than he'd anticipated. "...We're sorry it had to be like this. But trust me - we didn't do it for no reason." Halberd said. Cautiously, he gave her a pat on the shoulder, before making a move to stand up.

"Who would have died?! No one had to die! No one died, until now!" Carol shouted, quickly standing up from her chair, "What did Astra do? She never hurt anyone!" Halberd lowered himself back into his chair, taking a deep breath.
"Astra was a vampire. You know that... don't you?" He asked, before he carried on to explain.

"Yes. She told me. I knew," Carol said quieter, though still seemed unsure what that had to do with anything, "She never killed anyone if that's what you mean! She wasn't like that!"
"...Do you know what vampires do in order to survive...?"
"I know how vampires work!"
"Well... how did she get by then, if she didn't drink people's blood?"
"She told me she had to drink! But she said she never killed anyone or hurt them more than was necessary!" Carol sat down and crossed her arms in a huff.

"I see." Halberd said quietly. Astra's death was necessary - it had to be. Astra could have lied to this small child - it wouldn't have been hard. Nonetheless, continuing to explain from this point would just make Carol upset.
"Biting others isn't right." Halberd mumbled, before leaning back in his chair again. "Well... thanks for asking me. You might not understand why we killed Astra, but... it had to be done. ...I promise." Halberd concluded quietly. Carol's face seemed to reflect something along the lines of, 'I don't believe you', but she remained silent and angry nevertheless.
"I want more cake." she demanded with a pout. A smile slowly spread across Halberd's face, before he chuckled in resignation. She deserved it, after all.
"Heh heh... all right. One more." He said, soon coming back with another slice of sponge cake, putting it on her plate before picking up his axe from where he'd left it. Halberd faced Eleena before he turned to the doorway... he probably should have let her do the talking; Eleena would have put it in a much nicer way.

"I'll go find Mimo; she should be done with the report by now." Halberd said, stepping out of the bakery, Retribution unsteadily carried over his shoulder. The conversation with the child was playing on his mind as he strolled through the streets of the Borough. Astra must have lied to Carol - they were manipulative bastards, after all. Even if she didn't kill anyone, Astra's death had to happen. Without a doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:
As the Librarian lead the into the older, more severe parts of the library, Natalya's nerves began to play a siren song. The cold stone shelves and harsh runic carvings only served to reinforce the sense of dread she felt. As the librarian produced the book and began talking, Natalya listened with growing disbelief. The words of heaven? Divine power in the form of words? Why? How? Wait, those words, they couldn't be...surely...

Natalya bit her tongue until she was sure the Librarian was gone, before turning to Galina. "This...this may be the spell that caused the Sentence...A spell that could wipe out the adult population in a flash, in our hands..." She racked her brain, considering the implications of what they had just found. Astra had said the girl had read the book, knew the words...could she recite them? Call that down on humanity once more? How could she know how to read them? What was she? Immaterial, at the moment. Swallowing hard, Natalya glanced back to Galina.

"That kid knew the words, if we believe Astra. I dunno how she read them, but I think it's a fair call that she could call them out, bring the world down around our ears again. She's a walking magical superweapon, and I get the impression that Astra wasn't who Kaileb really wanted."

The real question though, was what did Kaileb want her for? Keep her safe, where nobody could have her read the words? To use her as a weapon, to further his interests? Maybe even to kill her, to protect humanity from the possibility of another apocalypse. The possibilities were chilling. Did the Guardians know what they'd gotten their hands on? As much as she hated to admit it, the Guardians weren't normally into kidnapping. "They much preferred to buy you after all, before discarding you when you were of no use." Biting back the unwelcome thought, Natalya sighed.

"We have gotten ourselves into some deep shite here, Galina.

Eleena
Talking. Talking. Talking. It wasn't about pleasant subjects either. Eleena stayed out of the conversation, not really wanting to express her heartfelt views on the matter. Who was she? Someone trying to make a difference. The Drisbane Guardians? They certainly did a lot of good, but things like this had left a bad taste in her mouth. Death was never tasteful. And nothing was ever perfect.

The usually energetic girl was already despondent by the time Carol asked the question. She was glad that the attention was focused on Halberd. Her own thoughts on the matter would be none too convincing. Without a doubt, Astra needed to die or be imprisoned. While she may have had optimism before-hand, she was determined afterwards. She was unsure of the details. But that face... dying with a dumbfounded look? No one should go out like that. A single blade in her chest, much like the one Astra had thrown at Eleena.

Perhaps it was bitterness at her own weakness; that she didn't really save anyone. Perhaps she was annoyed at Carol's stubbornness. Maybe she was just too tired and not thinking right. But with Halberd gone, Eleena asked her own question. "Someone else died. Before we got there. Her weapon was sheathed, and she seemed surprised at her own death. Why did Astra have to kill her?" It was a question Eleena really wanted to know. Had she been there to take Carol? Befriend Astra? Kill both of them? Was Astra hiding from someone? Did she know and hate the girl enough to kill her? Was she just so cold, that killing an intruder was the logical thing to do? Or did do it because she was guilty enough to feel that she was past the point of no return?

... But a moment after, Eleena felt guilty herself. She shouldn't place a burden on a child like this. She turned her question into a rhetorical one. "Human or Vampire, murder is often used as a solution for perceived problems."

With that, she was silent.

@Asuras

Kanade tried to budge the sword for a few moments before the angel appeared, at which point she kept her grip on it, but didn't try to actually wrest it free. She breathed a quiet sigh of relief at this development, less for any past ties than for the more prudent decision. When Ildaem had said its piece, she returned Francisca's sword to her, and turned to face her two companions. "Well, looks like we get to kee working together~" she chirped happily, probably putting on a front given the gravity of the situation they were still in. "We should have no problem getting around the Palace district with me as a guide, so just follow my lead, okay?"

She didn't waste much time before she began walking away, winding through the abandoned streets toward the Palace's territory. She assumed Lyssa and Aesil would follow her lead, so she didn't exactly wait for them, although her pace is easy enough to match. There's no real hurry for all this. She started humming to herself, and eventually broke full into song as she wandered along, apparently enjoying herself, now that she doesn't need to be quiet and serious like a guard on patrol.

Last edited:
And now Junkiro had to wonder....what in the world did this woman want? He bowed his head in contemplation; he had anticipated just a simple mercenary task, but now he was being employed to be a spy?! It was true....he hadn't exactly the most loyalty in the world for his faction, but the Palace had treated him well enough...he most certainly bore them no ill will. Not to mention...if he were caught doing whatever she wanted him to do, the penalty would likely be most grave. Junkiro had a feeling that whomever this woman was, she did not bear well for the faction...

But then again...he DID need the money. And after his last mission had ended in utter failure, he wasn't on the Palace elite's best side. Not to mention...the thought of the risk, the danger the task posed, got his blood rushing a bit. It was exciting, the prospect of becoming a double agent. Junkiro chewed on his stick of gum as he contemplated his decision. If she was indeed working for another faction...then if he were found out, perhaps he'd have their protection...and if she was unaffiliated, he could always flee into the boroughs he spent so much time in; nobody save the brightest would find him then.

Glancing back up at the unnamed client, Junkiro gave her a smirk. "Gotta say...you've gone out on a limb to make a traitor out of me. You're REALLY lucky I have a gum addiction and a sense of adventure. But it's my turn to offer a condition or two. I want to know who...and what faction...I'm working for. And I also want a small bonus upfront. For...necessary expenses." Junkiro spat out his now-tasteless gum to emphasize the point he was trying to make. He still had seven and three-quarter packs left on him...but enough was never enough. He stuck out his hand formally now, his smirk fading. "We got a deal, or what?"

The knights, the 'proper' knights spoke to Aesil of things she cared not for, about things like 'highest command' and whatever else. Those words meant nothing to the beast-girl, for they weren't Efrida. A substitute was nothing to her, and, ultimately, while she could feel the threat of death looming in Francisca's expression, Aesil didn't see where she had wronged. She continued to look in the angered commander's eyes, eyes blank of emotion, except, perhaps, an incomprehensible smidgen of pity.

There was something wrong about it, but Aesil knew that she had lost. If nothing else, maybe she'll get to eat this meal of dark chocolate after all.

Before the great sword could be drawn though, the angel of Efrida arrived once more, shifting into existence, and Aesil couldn't help but smile at its prescence. So the princess was going to be able to choose after all. That was good. That was right. Nothing else mattered as Aesil kneeled once more, her head dipped down as Efrida's proxy relayed her message, her holy mandates. Acceptable. To go to enemy territory was acceptable. No, before even that, if they were going into enemy territory…

Aesil smiled, all teeth, smiling at the ground with a grin so wide her face was almost split.

They were going into enemy territory. There was going to be food everywhere. Broker a deal? She didn't even know what that meant, but it sounded like it tasted good. Her stomach rumbled, her vision reddened, and, as the orders ended, she found herself chewing on her fingernails, placating the gluttony that had awoken at the order of an invasion. The girl could hardly hear Kanade's words over the sound of her own gnawing, following the pink-haired girl through scent more than anything else. An intoxicating scent accompanied by the sound of humming that she drank down greedily, like a child drawn to the Pied Piper.

As the humming turned into words, words of another language, Aesil stopped chewing, stopped hungering, and drowned herself in aural ecstasy, breathing in accompaniment with Kanade's song, the ends of her cloak swinging back and forth as her body swayed.

Food was everywhere, but Kanade was only here.

Lyssa caught the pendant that the angel threw at her and nodded at his words.

"Efrida's will be done." She intoned, bowing before the angel as it left with Konyuu in tow. With that done, Lyssa saluted Captain Francisca. "By your leave, Captain." She said, tucking Konyuu's pendant into her armored robes before turning to leave with her two companions.

Being of Palace descent, it was only logical that Kanade would take the lead. Lyssa fell in line behind the girl and walked alongside Aesil, whom she glanced at worriedly. The girl seemed to have problems controlling herself once more, and that would only cause complications within Palace territory. Hopefully, she could manage to restrain Aesil should she decide to go on some kind of cannibalistic rampage.

For the time being, though, there seemed to be nothing to fear. Aesil appeared to be devoted to Efrida through and through, and Lyssa respected that. Perhaps Aesil would keep herself under control. So for now, Lyssa simply enjoyed Kanade's singing as they walked, keeping an eye out for an ambush all the while.

[fieldbox="Galina Raske/Sitara Qadir, aqua, solid, 10, Times New Roman"]

Galina listened with rapt attention as the excitable Librarian explained the nature of the book that they had come to find, and its possible importance. The words of Heaven? And a child somehow understands them? The subject matter went right over her head, all she knew was that it sounded dangerous and important. When the Librarian left her, she just stood there holding the Heaven's Repertoire, not knowing what she could possibly do with the mysterious tome. She flipped through the pages, but there wasn't anything the book could tell her that the Librarian hadn't, so as Natalya began speaking Galina pressed the book against the rune and watched it vanish once again. It wouldn't due to be caught holding it by Kaileb.

She turned to Natalya with a worried frown, considering the implications of her companion's words. The words of Heaven… It seemed possible that the girl could replicate the incident, but if Natalya was right, how useful could the girl possibly be? What would be the effect of casting the same spell twice, there didn't seem to be any logical way that the effect could be narrowed or controlled without the girl's implicit cooperation and understanding.

"Yes, deep shite indeed," she repeated. "But I think you may be leaping too far forward with your conclusions, and without knowing anything more we simply can't make any rash judgements… hell, I don't know what we should do, but we shouldn't talk about it here," taking Natalya's shoulder, she guided her away from the stone shelves and out of that section of Library. It won't do for us to be caught right next to the Heaven's Repertoire by Kaileb, she couldn't imagine how to explain that without arousing actionable suspicion.
[/fieldbox]

"Well, I wouldn't be surprised if we would find nothing out of the ordinary by now. Humans are easy to manipulate after all." That put a small grin on the vampires face, after all, right now she let herself manipulate easily too. But was confident in always being capable of turning the tables. Continuing her way, Este truly lost interest in this. But sooner or later they would reach some kind of end, no?

Following the party, herself somewhere in the front, they soon entered a new room. A nursery of sorts. "Well, we could always just wait for the child to come back, no? If this place is oh-so sacred I doubt there will be much...opposition." With that words said, Este herself decided to take a closer look around the room now. Suggesting to not waste too much time and continue through one of the other doors though, it was then that the whispering that had stopped a while ago, now came back, haunting her with clear words.

Your line is dead

Her wha-? Este needed a second, or two, to realize what this voice just said. What it implied. No. She wouldn't believe it. It was a lie. Some trick to play with her mind. A simply lie, easy as that. But even if she knew that it was just a lie, it was annoying nonetheless. Making her doubt for just a small moment - was it really just a lie? She shook her head, those words couldn't break her composure. Words created through some peasantry human wizardry, words that she would choke down the very same being that spoke them. And with a mocking grin she whispered. "Liar."

Then, she turned to the yellow-haired boy, who just suggested retreat. "Turn back? Now? But it's just about to get interesting, no?"

A nursery? Out of all the things Aurora was ready to run into inside a sacred possibly nightmare fueled temple she had to admit this was definitely one of the last things she expected to be inside such a dark, and ominous structure as the Madurn Sanctuary. She listened as the others spoke about the implications of what this room could mean. Had Kaileb found a child born from the Madurn... if so what were the possibilities of what that could mean.

"Or what power could such a child be given from such a upbringing," Aurora spoke aloud to the others as she looked around the nursery. It was at this time she suddenly noticed... the voices had gone silent. Immediately sent to high alert she started to feel a sudden uncomfortable feeling about being inside this particular room... no inside the Madurn Sanctuary. They had clearly stirred something which was only proven further in point as the voices came back with a vengeance screaming into Aurora's head.

"Your mother would not have wanted you to leave."

At first she was taken aback by the words, but such a shot in the dark from a place filled with darkness quickly reminded her they were only words as she loosened back up whispering. "She would not want me to be unhappy either." At this point she heard, and watched as Gerald slowly started to walk away clearly seeing something they couldn't. From what she understood he had a sort of magic sight.

"I think it's time for us to leave…"

"I second that notion... we have clearly overstayed our welcome," Aurora responded slowly starting to follow in suit with Gerald's actions for knowledge's sake they had indeed discovered something big that could have numerous meanings, however, if they wanted to delve into the possibility they needed to stay alive, and something told her the longer they stayed inside... the less likely they would. The Guardian in her told her to take arms yet the Goetian in her told her hostility would be responded with kind. At this moment she was positive it was better to hold to her fathers side at the moment.

"Turn back? Now? But it's just about to get interesting, no?"

"Aye interesting it tis, but danger clearly looms around the corner. Its clear from the voices that things are about to get quite chaotically interestingly the longer we stay. I think its time to time to muddle our findings somewhere else boss," Aurora responded to the noble in red before directing her opinion to Jorn as the sense of chaos slowly started to creep further into the room.

It was difficult to miss the steady shift in architectural aesthetics as one made their way closer to the Palace Borough. After the death of Gimara Hon and Palace's recall of citizenry, much of the Palacians had vacated from territories outside their Borough. Still, a good number of them were left, along with the half-bloods, outside of their walls. The Palace" culture" was an obvious gradient, and a likely welcome sight to Kanade's sense of nostalgia.

A number of eyes were turned towards the three visitors, Aesil and Lyssa in particular, undoubtedly due to their "foreign" appearance. The presence of two major ethnicities within Drisbane for so long had eventually nullified any sense of strangeness in general between the two, but in light of recent events, their Aesil nature was conspicuous.

None of them were bothered, fortunately, and they approached the stone gates of Palace's Borough without a hiccup... of course, when they actually got there...

"What's Aesil doing here? You have no business here," a guard said from the comfort of an adjacent tower, "Screw off." From behind the tower window, all three of them caught a glimpse of someone smacking the guard upside the head.

"You shithead. No one's that stupid. They've clearly got something important," said the unseen female guard. Eventually she showed her face, leaning out the window to the three girls below. "What do you three want? It's getting late!"

With a quiet 'zap', the book evaporated into the stone wall, passing through the glowing rune that still hovered before it. The room remained quiet as the two contemplated their options for a moment. Both of the girls' ears perked up when the silence broken by the hooting of an owl.

Turning their heads, they saw, upon one of the shelves outside of the room, a shadowy owl perched high. Bright, uniform white eyes stared at them, unblinking. It hooted again, almost masking the sound of approaching, metallic footsteps. Galina, thanks to her sheer speed, dodged the nearly unnoticed sword swipe that came inches from cleaving her from shoulder to hip. Still, she could feel a strange heat linger on her shoulder, and after a moment, she realized that a black flame still clung to her clothing.

Stepping back, both Natalya and Galina got a good look at the assailant; a formidable knight in pitch-black armor lifted up its sword from the ground with a slow heave. A cloud of dark ash seeped upwards into the air from every crack in the entities armor, and it seemed as if the back of its form were constantly evaporating into smoke. A hefty sigh escaped its helmet, along with a brief kindling of some interior flame, lighting the inside of its armored head with a warm glow.

Lifting its sword back up onto its shoulder, it approached the two with heavy footsteps.

Carol busily ate her cake as Eleena spoke, too entranced with the new found sense of sugary desire to be any more angry with the subject. The Guardian would be wise to jot down a note somewhere that cake, or sweets for that matter, were an excellent way of keeping the girl quiet. How long she'd be enchanted by sugar, however, was a different matter.

As Halberd stepped out of the bakery, he was instantly stricken with a sudden, fearsome pain. Instinctively, he grabbed the injured area, his shoulder, and winced. A throwing knife was embedded deep within his left shoulder, and already bleeding a bit. Looking about, he had a hard time deciphering the angle of attack, or the attacker for that matter, until they revealed themselves on their own accord. The street was miraculously empty compared to when the Guardians had first entered the bakery, leaving only Halberd and the cloaked assassin standing in the streets.

With a flourish, the assassin, face masked in all places besides his tanned eyes, tossed another knife in the air and summarily caught it by the handle as it fell back down. "If that had gone where it needed to, you'd be dead my friend," he grimly joked.

The girl laughed heartily at his request. "Gum? That's it? You have to be either the most innocent spy I've ever heard of, or the most easily satisfied!" She wiped a tear from her eye and shook her head as if in disbelief. "If it's gum you want, that shouldn't be a problem. I can do that. We have a deal." She rested her hands on her hips and continued on.

"Now, as for your particulars..." she grinned, "I need information on a weekly basis as to where the Palace heads are stationed. That's it! Nothing more, nothing less. It's difficult for anyone not considered a champion to get anywhere near their fortresses, and lately they've been quite adamant about remaining within them. I would have gone for someone a bit higher ranking, but then that'd run a greater risk of encountering someone who was more loyal."

"All you need to do is tell me where Utashou Hokoa and Aosoki Hime are hunkering down each week. Meet me here, again, a week from today, and we'll exchange information with money... and gum." She approached Junkiro and extended a hand to shake, ready to seal the deal.

Aposto chimed in after Este, a hand at his chin in contemplation. "I agree with the others, I'm afraid to admit. What we are dealing with here does not seem to be any ordinary event. It is... eerie," he said, prompting Jorn and Zaie to nod in response.

"I say we forget this and question Kaileb directly," Zaie growled.

"That man knows nothing," the voice spoke again, this time to the entire group. It's voice resounded through the floor, rumbling beneath their feet. In an instant, the void of energy that Gerald saw in his true vision burst into reality, making itself known to everyone present. The hole expanded outwards, overtaking the ceiling, before curving down to the walls, and then floors. It all happened in a flash, encasing them all in a black void before reality seemed to rush at them from all directions, like a sphere collapsing inwards.

The nursery was gone, replaced by the dismally grey scenery of a vast graveyard. In the distance, a chapel, impossibly tall and made of what seemed to be dried out flesh and bone, rang a sinister bell twice before falling silent to the cold, weak winds. Zaie backed up in surprise of the scene, nearly tripping over a tombstone.

"What in the gods name...?" Jorn mumbled to himself. As Zaie fixed her stance and brushed her clothing of the grey dust that clung to it, she spoke up.

"Is this what they were truly trying to hide inside the Sanctuary?"

"Keep your wits about you," Aposto stressed, looking quite ready to punch someone despite his otherwise prim demeanor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Beta

Since the rumors had spread more and more, those that had entered Elias's Wellness Clinic had become steadily less paranoid about their visit. Minutes of debate between the doctor and the patient over whether or not treatment from him was a 'safe' option soon became mere seconds, sometimes even less. Elias had just finished with a younger patient; a boy who had traveled from the Aesil Borough in hopes of curing his sore throat. While a lesser affliction than Elias was used to dealing with, it had apparently been ailing him for quite some time, and no other treatments were working. He left the clinic feeling the benefits of his visitation within minutes.

Still, for all the increase in trust he was getting with newer patients, business still tended to be slow. It was rare that he received more than one patient every two days. Clearly the populace still hadn't fully acclimated to his presence. All the while, as rumors undoubtedly spread, the threat of intervention still loomed over his head every waking hour. When was the moment finally going to come when Guardians busted down his door?

A knock at the door sprung that ever-present feeling of inevitable doom. Then again, he never expected a vampire hunter would be courteous enough to knock at all. The bell of his clinic rang as the door opened up, and lighter so when it shut.

"Elias~" a sweet voice called out from the entrance. There stood a minute girl or red hair and even redder eyes. The last time he had seen her was when his parents still yanked him around to 'social' events with the vampiric citizenry. Kairen Ordvia, daughter to one of the more established vampire families of Drisbane, clapped her hands lightly together at the side of her head, as if commanding the doctor to show himself from the back room.

Frankly, Gerald didn't really care if the others took his advice and had already turned to leave the nursery. If the others wished to toy with powers unknown in its very heart then they could do so without him. As he flicked his vision to watch for any shifts within the tower due to the presence, he nearly fell as the floor shook underneath his feet. A moment of hesitation spent to glance backwards cost him any chance to escape as the void raced across the ceiling and slammed down over the exit in front of him. Backpedaling quickly to rejoin the others, Gerald grit his teeth in annoyance as his vision went completely dark.

A blink revealed a vastly different environment for Gerald and he took in his bearings quickly, shivering slightly at the bell that cut through the desolate landscape. "Damn it…" Heeding Aposto's voice, he blinked once more and swore once more the moment he saw this world for what it was. He didn't know if anything existed beyond the hills that encircled this valley, but the pitch blackness of the void that he could notice was enough that he didn't wish to find out. Of more pressing concerns were the power of the glow within the eldritch church and the presences that surrounded the group. Given the lack of reaction from the other five individuals, Gerald could only take it as they had yet to notice the approaching sources. As for the church… he didn't even need to glance at it to understand the scale of what lay within. Even at the edge of his vision Gerald could feel his eyes sear from the intensity.

With a wince, he put his back to the church as he threw his arms out with a deep breath. While switching back to normal vision would have been ideal, whatever approached didn't seem to be visible to the mundane eyes. "Careful! There's about seven sources of energy approaching, I'll try to hold them off. The church is a crap shoot, whatever's in there will make mincemeat of us if it wants to, you included Aposto." While he didn't like throwing around such information without reason, given it'd probably lead to how he knew, he was stuck with these five in this situation. Without any idea of how to escape this secluded realm at the moment, working with these other five would probably be his best chance at survival.

Having the five members so close to him was a bit of an annoyance, but he exhaled deeply and let the dark fog seep from his arms and roll over the ground towards the approaching sources. By its nature the magic simply broke down anything that wasn't him it touched, so rather than try to fight it, he simply forced the fog away from himself. In the end the fog enveloped the area around the group, an untouched "eye" at the center of the fog of decay. Even through his magic Gerald could see that the sources had not been stopped though, and with a click of his tongue he held the magic in place. "Decide quickly, they've not been stopped!"

Last edited:
The changing scenery was a welcome sight. Kanade had grown up in the Palace borough, and she still felt more at home there. Even if she was less than welcome for a variety of reasons. She felt more relaxed and at ease as she remembered her youthful environs, although she doubted she'd have any time to really visit or walk down memory lane on this trip.

Kanade looked up to the guards. "We're here on official business," she shouted up to them, her voice ringing out clearly. "We bear a message from Princess Efrida, for your own leaders. If it's too late for an audience tonight, we'll need to find lodgings for the evening." There was nothing else to say, and no need for deception.

She turns to face her companions and talk, while she waits on the guards to let them in. "Okay, we're just here to deliver a message, so no fighting unless for some reason we need to defend ourselves. The last thing we need to do is go making a bad impression before delivering our ultimatum."

Junkiro was actually a bit surprised that this woman was so eager...no, excited, to take him up on his demands. He grumbled to himself quietly; his terrible negotiation skills were only extra proof he didn't get hired for things very often. Either way, his frown quickly faded, returning to his natural light smile; he now had steady work on the horizon, and what was wrong with that? He was almost happy enough to sing.

The mission briefing, however, struck him as not only odd, but a bit frightening. Why did this woman want to know where the Palace heads were every week? This was getting stranger by the minute. He couldn't help but feel he might be being played for a fool here...Junkiro thought another moment on the topic, then shrugged to himself; the mercenary is not paid to ask questions, he is paid to see a job through, after all. Junkiro decided to put the idea out of his head for now as he watched his employer.

However, as she stuck out her hand, Junkiro lifted his quick, his smirk returning. "Ah ah ah! Ain't ya forgettin' somethin'? I believe I made two demands, and I've yet to see them carried through yet. I'd like my signing bonus of one week's salary ahead of time, and I want to know who you are and what faction you're working for. THEN we have a deal, kapische?" As an afterthought, Junkiro remembered something that contradicted what this woman was saying.

"Ah...oh yeah...you do realize I'm NOT technically a Champion, right? Never been referred to as such, never REALLY been treated as such. And on that...last mission I was on? Yeah, I kinda messed that one up pretty bad. Let's just say my superiors still ain't warmed back up to me, ya know? Course, it also wasn't spy work." Junkiro might have been shooting himself in the foot with his honesty, maybe not, but Jun was a straight shooter. He figured he COULD get into the fortresses...but he probably wouldn't be in there for too long without being shooed out by one of his betters. Ah well...when there's a will....

Despite the slow business, Elias always felt a swell of pride when he helped the people of the city. After all, with things as they were now... if all one did was take and never give back, what hope was there for the future? Even vampires needed to learn peaceful coexistance if they were to survive. For example, who was to say the boy he just helped wasn't destined to be a great political figure? But had the condition in his throat worsened and claimed the child's voice, then he would be unable to fulfill that role.

Such was the curse and blessing that came from being born into a wealthy family. One often was more educated thanks to the excess in resources. Thus one could get lost in thought, considering things both big and small. However, the good doctor's contemplation would be cut short today. A gentle ringing from the bell above his front door snapped Elias back to reality. A moment later, a feminine voice called his name. This immediately set the young vampire to being cautious, as most of the locals knew him as Doctor Palamara.

Grabbing one of his scalpel belts and pocketing his hypodermic case, Elias tried to think on who the voice might belong to... someone who knew him by name. A few seconds into equipping his gear, it hit him. He had heard the voice when he was still under the thumb of his parents. Then he heard something that caused him to grit his teeth in frustration... the clapping that the so-called 'elite' of his people seemed so fond of doing when they wanted someone's attention. Still, to ignore somone in his place of business would reflect poorly on his professional behavior.

"I'm sorry for the wait." said the young vampire as he opened the door from his 'office' that led to the waiting area. "Ah, Miss Ordvia. How long has it been? Nearly three years, if I'm not wrong. However, I can't see anyone without an appointment unless it is an emergency. I have a spot open in 12 days, if you'd like to come back then." All the while, he kept his hands in his pockets... ready to bring out a needle full of Hydromorphone or even Strychnine if need be. After all, vampire 'politics' tended to be even more brutal than those of humans... regardless of the age of vampire involved.

So long as Kairen remained civil, neither of them was in any physical danger. "Kidding, of course. Though your visit IS unusual. So what do you need? If I learned anything from my late parents, it was that our people rarely bother one another without wanting something." said the doctor as he walked over to the front desk and sat atop it, hands still in his pockets.

An Enigma Appears!
Eleena, Halberd, and the Mysterious Foe!

The guardian girl was glad that her words didn't seem to faze Carol. Good. ... It was still a bit annoying that she was just brushed off though. Oh well. Still... She noticed Halberd stopped. Sarah too, seemed to see something. With a shift of attention, Eleena noted a robed figure... that was never good. "... Carol, stay with Sarah. The two of you get out of sight, somewhere with a closed room." She had also noticed a knife and a crimson stain on Halberd's shoulder. With those commands to the two civilians, she moved to help her comrade in arms. Pushing herself out of the chair, she strode forward for the door.

Pushing it open with one hand, the young woman closed the distance to Halberd's assailant with a burst of speed. Embroiled by the sight of her injured ally, her arm snaked with an electric charge before its elbow tried to find its way across the robed man's face. Although the attack ended up missing, Eleena tried to follow up and grab the knife from the man's hand. With her gauntlet she would be able to grab it by the blade and pull it free with help of the element of surprise, but it seems the fellow was too quick to react for that to happen.

---
The man stood in place, merely leaning back as Eleena flung her elbow across his vision. His eyes were wide, surprised by the sheer speed of the girl he had been faced with, but as soon as the limb passed, he glared and spun in place. His cloak flew towards Eleena, seemingly as a distraction, but she managed to refrain from being smacked by its surprisingly hefty weight; the air it had pushed upon her face was heavy.

---
Halberd slowly withdrew the axe from his shoulder, bringing it behind him in a combat stance. He was stunned at Eleena's speed; this was the first time he'd seen it in action, after all. Halberd felt like asking a few questions before he got started on this assassin, but there wasn't time for any of that now. The pain in his shoulder was nothing - he needed to protect Drisbane from lowly scum such as this.
"Gnnng... . It was brave of you to show yourself; I probably wouldn't have noticed you." Halberd growled, reaching over to his shoulder, and yanking out the knife as if it were a thorn in his side.
"Brave... but stupid. Surrender your weapons at any time, and we'll spare you." He whispered, dropping the knife aside. This was an evil man, no doubt. Most likely an assassin... who'd shown himself? Either he had a sense of honor, which wasn't likely, or he had comrades ready for an ambush. But there were no two ways about it: This man was evil, and a threat to the people.
*Relentless Activates! +1 Might, +2 Speed.*
iqJef.png

---​

"I was betting on that knife killing you outright," the assassin said, crouching low over the cobblestone, "Since it didn't work, now I've got no other option than to take you down in person."

---
"Hmph. This knife?" Halberd muttered, picking up the blade that was in his shoulder and examining it for a brief moment. "Remember. My offer for you to surrender still stands." Halberd said plainly. After a brief pause, Halberd threw the knife, aiming straight for the assassin's leg, whilst rushing forth in a surprising burst of speed, sparks flying behind him menacingly as he dragged the axe on the ground behind him.

---​

The assassin easily side-stepped the knife, readying all the same for Halberd's rush. As the axe came up from behind, swinging with a booming whoosh, the assassin once again managed to evade the attack, finding himself at Halberd's side.

Spreading his stance, he lowered his shoulders down to Halberd's waist-level and brought a knife from across his chest in a long motion. The knife found its mark, but did not do its work. Halberd's armor, and in a sense, his skin, stopped the blade cold, eliciting a surprised look from the assassin, who quickly took a step back. Halberd gave the slightest of smirks. His hidden armor was paid off; that slice easily could have rendered him in a critical condition.

---​

Meanwhile, the speedster star was going for her next attack. If this guy was fast enough to dodge a surprise attack, then she'd just have to give him a bigger surprise! While Halberd occupied the man's attention, Eleena circled around, getting behind Halberd a distance before going all out full speed. Using his back as a platform, she then pushed off him with one, sending her into a spinning frontflip at the assassin. What was coming his way?!? A knockout punch? A killer kick?! No! If he was trying to read her, he'd find she did nothing! She was, in fact, just slamming her head right into his face amidst a burst of electricity! "THUNDER CRASH!"

---​

The assassin looked up just in time to see Eleena flying through the air in a spinning motion. His hands raised in preparation to intercept her kick, eyes following every turn. And then!
CLUNK.​
Eleena's noggin connected with the assassins, throwing him backwards and to the ground.

---​

Wasting no time, Halberd rushed up to the grounded assassin. He could probably smash his axe right into his stomach whilst he was down like this, but that wasn't what he wanted. He wanted this person alive.

Using the weight of his axe to give himself momentum, Halberd let go of his axe, causing his body to be thrown forward, outstretching his hands to try and pin down the assassin whilst he was floored.

---​

Grasping at his head, the assassin could still tell a hulking form was about to bear down on him, and summarily rolled to the side. It took another second to throw away the ache in his braincase, but he eventually pushed himself up into a flip, landing square on his feet and avoiding the man.

---
Eleena herself, meanwhile, managed to land well enough to stand up. Her head was a bit dizzy, but other than that, her attack had been a success! ... What did she call it? "HOW'S A TASTE OF MY THUNDER DUCK ATTACK?!" Thunder Duck? Yeah. That seemed right. Wow her head felt light.

---​

"Slippery bastard, isn't he." Halberd snarled, rolling backwards next to his axe, lifting it up into the air with his foot, and catching it with one hand. "We'll see how long you can keep that up."

---​

"...Enough you simpletons!" the assassin yelled, throwing his right hand to his side as if waiting for something to fly into his grasp. From behind, a shroud of darkness swept forth, meeting his hand in a spiral. With a flick of his wrist towards Eleena, the darkness instantly disappeared before quickly showing up a few meters behind her field of vision.

The cloud looked as if it were made up of a chaotic swarm of crows, twisting and melding in and out of one another. The cloud lurched, and from its void and spear of darkness shot forth at Eleena. Whether or not it was a simple mistake or the fervor of battle, Eleena was unlucky enough to stagger into the spear.

With a sickening slice, the spear embedded itself in Eleena's side, piercing through and passing beyond. She was instantly crippled, thrown to the ground in sheer pain as the open wound gushed blood forth onto the cobble.

---​

Like. Hell. This bastard attacked her from behind! First he ambushed Halberd, and now there he was, using some ridiculous trick on her?!? Eleena's sight was blackened from the pain and shock, but... Why was he here? Of course, to do evil! Probably to kidnap Carol, maybe to kill her. And he was trying to kill them... Then there was no doubt... This guy needed to be wiped off the earth!

iqHoe.png

As long as her feet were moving, she wouldn't stop! The spear? It didn't matter. The pain? It only fueled her body. With a roar, she closed the distance between herself and the assassin, arm pulled back for an all out strike, her other behind her back. The punch was a feint. Or rather...

SPLURT. The hand behind her grabbed and pushed the dark spear forward, right towards the Assassin's own gut. It damaged her in the process, but he'd never see it coming...

JUST LIKE THE BASTARD DESERVED! A surge of electricity flashed through her body as Eleena felt a renewal of her body and spirit, a second wind of sorts. [Heroic Second Wind activates.] The fist that seemed to be a feint was still held back as a surge of electricity blasted the area around her. It would knock the assassin back, as well as place a second charge on him. With that, Eleena would take one more step and slam the angrily buzzing fist right into the assassin's chest, placing a third charge before discharging the built up electricity in a brilliant explosion. "CRASHING FANG!"

---​

Though the assassin was caught off guard by her self-harming ploy, he still managed to arch his torso just in time to see it fly past him, instead tearing into his cloak. A complete mistake. His gaze at the spear left him wide open for Eleena's follow up. The shock contorted his body briefly before he regained composure, slightly dazed.

Then, a punch to his gut. He lurched forward, having only a brief respite before the charges detonated. His whole body crumpled to the floor as an electrical surge crackled around him in a flash. A light smoke rose from his body, and a few places were lit aflame with small embers. After a second or two, he rose from the ground, face clearly wrought with pain.

---​

"You've had enough. You have one more warning." Halberd growled, his voice clearly showing malicious intent as his hair menacingly covered his eyes. This bastard... this worthless piece of SHIT! How dare he hurt his fellow Guardian like that? It took a lot for Halberd to fully hold himself back; they needed this man alive, but if he was dumb enough to keep on fighting, then the consequences would speak for themselves.

---​

Stumbling on his feet and head bowed, the assassin refused, "N-never..." He rose his hand again in preparation...

---​

"BASTARD! Don't you understand?! It's over! Now... lay down... your weapon. I won't... ask... again...!" Halberd hissed through clenched teeth. Anger was beginning to override his usually calm attitude, and he waited for a response one more time as the grip around his axe tightened. He was beginning to see red.

---​

The assassin responded in kind by twisting his hand upwards and clenching it. The sound of squawking picking up as the cloud once again disappeared and reappeared.

---​

As soon as Halberd heard the squawking, his vision and mind suddenly became full with rage, the thoughts of his sister's blood splattering his thoughts. Murderers... people who broke the law... there was one fate for them... this man's was sealed.

Charging forward as spears sunk into the cobble behind him, Halberd twisted his body, and let forth a terrifying roar as he sailed into the air, before descending back down with a brutal swing that seemed to shimmer with the sheer, rage-fueled power. The swing that was Halberd's feared signature move. The Guillotine of Justice.

---​

The assassin threw his arm into his cloak, retrieving a pitiful blade compared to Halberd's mighty axe, and nevertheless used it in a last-ditch attempt to save his life.

CRACK
The dagger was shattered without a sparing second, and the axe continued on its way... for his head. The assassin could barely let out a cry for mercy before the hefty edge ripped through his neck, sending the whimpering head flying several meters down the street. The assassin's body quickly crumpled to the ground.

---​

Halberd breathed heavily, landing on a knee and an arm. It was done. Done. He'd asked for it. He'd hurt Eleena. He'd pissed him off. It... it...

Halberd dropped his axe to his side, getting onto both his knees as he looked at the sky, taking a huge, deep breath to remove the rage from his head. For a brief moment, he could have sworn he saw the world raining blood. Stiletta. No. He was imagining things. Overreacting... heh. He was just a... normal... Guardian.

As his mind calmed, Halberd quickly remembered Eleena, looking at the gaping wound in her side, Halberd's eyes widened as he rushed over to her, dropping the bloodstained Retribution behind him.
"Holy shit... the bastard got you good, huh..." He mumbled, reaching for his bandages in his trenchcoat, and beginning to get to work wrapping them around her wound.

---​

"I... Uh... really need to stop trying to kill myself. ... Sorry." ... Had it been worth it, in the end? ... Yeah. Of course. She had definitely protected them against someone who was out to kill. And Halberd was alright, so that was good. Carol was... hopefully alright. "... We should probably..." Eleena walked forward and started poking around the headless corpse's body. "Look for stuff. Dibs on the Robe. Gonna make it into a cape... Cool cape..." Yeah, she wasn't thinking too clearly. Thankfully though, there was no headache. Because suddenly, everything went black and she collapsed.

---​

"Eleena? Don't strain... yourself." Halberd ended in a monotone, as Eleena collapsed at the word 'yourself'. Just brilliant. Now he had to worry about the possibility of more assassins, Carol, the body on the street, and now not letting Eleena die.

---
iqJ5n.png
"Yo! It's done?" With that, the tall baker-woman strolled out as if nothing was out of place. "... Ya know, it's not nice to leave a corpse in front of my shop." With that, Sarah kicked the dead man, sending the body rolling several times over with a snap. The weighted robe detached from the now-headless body, a note flying out. Sarah deftly catches it. After realizing it was none of her business, she crumples it and throws it at Halberd. "Hey, Catch."

---​

"I... I was going to deal with that." Halberd mumbled, before getting hit on the forehead by a piece of paper in a failed attempt to try and catch it.

"...Really..." Halberd muttered plainly, bending over and stuffing it in his pocket for later. That didn't matter now. "Oh... right... Eleena wanted this." He said with a gesture to the robe, giving a wince as he did so. Even if he'd been the one to decapitate someone... looting somebody's corpse just didn't feel... right. Laying the robe on the table, Halberd headed back to Eleena's unconscious body, carefully transporting it inside the bakery, placing it on a chair with a sigh. Sarah followed inside shortly after.

@Asuras
@Jakers

Leaping back from the ashen knight, Galina brushed at the flames on her shoulder until they were extinguished. Glancing at the owl in the next room, she wondered if it was somehow responsible, it appeared to be some sort of familiar. Better safe than sorry, she sent a knife hurtling at the bird with a flick of her wrist, but it managed to flap out of the way of the blade before returning to the same spot. Her knife skittered across the roof and fell somewhere in the library, perhaps alerting someone to the battle taking place.

Galina returned her eyes to the knight, she couldn't afford to not pay attention to him. She didn't doubt that a single cut from that strange blade would spell the end of her. How the hell did an enemy get this far into the library anyways?!

"Deep shite indeed," she muttered to Natalya, grabbing one of her katar and readying herself to spring back in the wake of his, or its, next attack.
-------
Natalya drew her sword, staring up at the obsidian knight. This did not look good. Black flames on Galina, all that smoke...was this even a corporeal being, or were they fighting some sort of magical construct? If only she'd known how deep the shite could go.

Lowering herself into a defensive stance, Natalya shuffled backwards, making distance between herself and the knight. "Not sure what you want to do here...the shelves will hopefully hinder his sword swings, but they also trap us in front of him..."

Focusing on the opponent, Natalya prepared herself to evade his next attack.
-------
A plume of ash burst from the slits in the knight's helmet as it raised its sword high over its head. Taking a few quick steps forward, it swung down upon Natalya. It's slower approach belied the speed with which it could throw down its sword, and Natalya missed the opportunity to dodge out of the way. Fortunately her preparation saved her from taking a sword down the middle, and the knight's sword stopped short at her own upraised weapon. Still, it came dangerously close to breaking her guard, pushing her arms down to the last centimeter available.
-------
Galina considered seizing the opportunity provided by Natalya's defense, the Knight's was engaged and she just might land a strike right now. However, the speed with which the knight had brought down his sword gave her pause. It was better that she not make any rash moves, so instead she focused briefly and the ceiling became the floor. She dropped upwards through the air, spinning to land on her feet like a cat. Keeping her distance from the knight, she drew one katar and attempted to circle around behind him, or it, looking for openings in its armor through which she could cause some damage.
-------
Natalya strained under the weight of the knight's weapon, the edge of her own sword dangerously close to her own body. She attempted to roll her sword to knock her opponent's weapon to the side, but it was like trying to push against a solid wall. The knight's sword remained unflinching. Cursing, Natalya dashed backwards, sliding her sword along the underside of the knight's sword to maintain what remained of her guard, before breaking free from the suffocating pressure of the blade pressing down on her as the end of the blade slid off.

Adopting a new stance, Natalya prepared herself again.
-------
The knight's sword slammed into the stony ground and it made a low rumbling noise. Slowly, it stood up and maintained its onslaught, stepping closer to Natalya. With a single arm, it took a wide, arcing swing at Natalya leaning forward. The champion ducked underneath the blade, barely escaping a hair-shave.
-------
Seeing no openings she can make use of beyond the slits on the knights visor, Galina followed the battle down the library's isle. Circling back to the front of the knight, she took the opportunity presented by the knight's attack to thrust towards its visor with her katar, activating its enchantment mid-thrust to extend the blade from twelve inches to nearly forty inches.
-------
The blade found its way into the helmet, but quickly made a 'clink' sound as it stopped short of piercing through the other side. The sword nevertheless extended, instantly pushing both Galina's arm and the knight's head back a few dozen inches.
-------
Natalya barely had time to duck, as the blade flashed over her head with an ominous whirring noise. As she craned her head up, she saw Galina take advantage of that moment to thrust her blade into the knight's helmet, inflicting what appeared to be a fatal blow. However, something about the sound of the impact made Natalya suspicious. Impaled heads didn't normally go 'clink'. Pushing forwards, up close to the knight, she delivered a two-handed thrust to the armpit of her opponent with all her might. Time to see if the knight could actually be hurt.
-------
Natalya's all-out strike pierced the knight's chestplate, immediately sending a webwork of cracks throughout the armor. A plume of flame spewed forth from the wound, singing Natalya's hands. An ethereal roar escaped the knight's helm as more ash spilled out. It backed up, dislodging the sword, before raising its sword again in fury, thought its following strike missed its mark as Natalya dodged out of the way.
-------
Retracting her katar back to its normal size, Galina stepped back from the upside-down knight. Her blow had met no flesh in that suit, and although Natalya's had done some damage to the armor she surmised there hadn't been any contact there either. That turned her suspicions back to the owl.

"Keep the big guy busy!" She called to Natalya before running around the knight, she got closer to the doorway to the next room and sent another one of her three remaining throwing knives for the strange creature.
-------
Noticing her approach, the owl broke into a flight, jumping down just in time to dodge the second knife, before gliding down the rows of books and away from her. Though it's speed was difficult to match for any mundane human, Galina kept pace with its evasive flying as it soared through the library, deeper inside.
-------
The roar that escaped the knight following her blow was more than enough to compensate for her hands being singed. Maybe there was no flesh inside, but that didn't mean that she couldn't smash what passed for its body to pieces. The armour was apparently breakable.

Natalya vaguely caught Galina's cry as she dashed off hunting the owl. Probably a good call, given that the man in a can seemed more can than man. "Don't get too far away! Who knows what else is waiting in here!" The last thing she wanted was for Galina to get ambushed by another knight deep in the bowels of the library.

Side-stepping a retaliatory swing, Natalya struck hard again, this time coming from the opposite side of the knight.
-------
With another sundering crack, Natalya's swing caved into the knight's armor, shattering an entire half of the chestplate. Soon the whole armor piece began to crumbled apart, falling to the ground as a mass of soot. Eventually the thing wholly collapsed upon the floor, leaving behind the vague image of a shadowy form still standing. After a brief second, the room erupted in a shrill screech, and the shadow was yanked into the distance by an unseen force, passing through objects like a ghost.

Elsewhere, the owl continued to lead Galina into even darker recesses of the Goetia Library where the only light she could follow by was the occasional candle lying in a dish upon the floor.
-------
Still chasing the owl, Galina mentally checked to make sure she was keeping track of where she was going and could envision her way back to Natalya with only a few, slight hiccups. The scream behind her wasn't human, and she guessed that her companion had been able to defeat the knight on her own after the damage she had dealt to it. So, now it was time for Galina to hold up her end and get rid of this cursed owl. She took one of her last two throwing knives in her left hand, and readied her katar for an extended thrust in the other. She took a deep breath, and on the exhalation the world around her distorted as she sprung forward the hundred or so feet to the owl, appearing right behind it.
-------
When the world had become clearer to Galina's eyes, the owl in front of her took a sharp turn, banking along the wall as its talons briefly touched, then sprung off of it. The hall had turned right into another brightly lit room. The room was unelievably tall, looking as if it were meant for a staircase to higher levels in the Library. Instead, it was dominated by a single immense pipe organ, whose brass stretched to the height of the room. The shadowy owl began flapping furiously, lifting itself up to a perch several dozen feet in the air. As soon as its talons gripped the golden bar, it evaporated. Still, it's hooting could be distinctly heard... along with the voice of another owl.

Last edited:
Well then this was a major issue. Aurora growled in annoyance as magic came into play trapping them, or possibly warping them to a different zone of existence. As Gerald had lightly put it they were now trapped between a bell tower with something to dangerous to handle, and with seven unknown entities coming for them that Gerald's strange fog ability did not seem to be able to slow down. At this point they were screwed either way it seemed.

"So anyone got any hidden aces up their sleeves," Aurora sarcastically asked as she pulled out her flanged mace ready to counter whatever the hell was coming for them... until a thought came to mind. She did technically have one ability that could reverse this situation the only problem was would it have any effect.

"Gerald is everything around us completely magic as in no actual living flesh nor inanimate," her question would probably seem strange to everyone around her besides herself, but if what they were experiencing was completely a reality marble effect then Aurora could dispel it in one go. The only issue was once she did it would their still be any of these creatures that turned out to be real?

Status
Not open for further replies.