The Sentence - IC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aesil walked quickly, tossing caution and stealth out the window as she marched through the Palace of Aosoki Hime. A storm was brewing outside, an electric tension in the air as heavy droplets struck the tiled roofs, streaming down the side of the buildings. Apex Storm, true to his name, seemed to have been enjoying the storm, even as lightning struck and winds wailed. His companion, Vi-something, if the beast-girl recalled correctly, was also there, shielded by a dainty umbrella no doubt obtained from one of the many servants present in the princess's fortress. It was almost a tranquil scene, but there was no food, and the storm was strong enough that Aesil could barely hear Apex's greeting. His inhuman expression was easy enough to read, however, and taking that as an invitation, the beast-girl sat down beside him.

The rain was strong, and it was rather cold, but all those factors were negligible for Aesil. To be unbothered by the elements was one of the first lessons that Rasoba had taught her, and, at the very least, the weather wasn't painful. She nodded once towards the dragon's companion, before saying, "Good. Did scouting. Many knights, golems, and…monsters? Birds?"

She paused for a moment, in thought, before deciding that a bow was in place. Kneeling down and placing her forehead against the damp ground, Aesil asked, "A question: how strong are they, and where to hit to kill?"

A moment later, she followed up with another question. "Also, hungry?"

Kanade cartwheeled away from the giant's attack, stopping a short distance to one side of the rent the colossal blade tore through the wall and the ground beneath it. The shock of the impact sent her flying off the wall, to land on the ground below in a heap. Pelted by a small shower or rubble, she didn't immediately get to her feet, but once she did, she quite clearly returned the soldiers' glares. Her armor's colors shifted toward reds, and the whites of her eyes turned black, as a cruel grin split her face.

"Now, just why would you boys go and do that," she asked, her voice calm and polite, but still clearly menacing. "After we do our best to be good hosts, you decide to up and attack us? Naughty boys like you deserve to be punished." Her eyes scanned across the dozen or so soldiers remaining in the group as she drew her weapon. "And there's so many of you, too. I'll really have to spread the love...but there's plenty to go around." She'd have to be careful with her special service, if only to have one or two in a condition to play 20 questions. She really wondered just what was so significant about a thunderstorm to these people.

Halberd
HP: ▋▋▋▋▋▋▋

"Those three right there. On my mark, I want you to strike them down. I will explain later, but just trust me,"

Halberd trusted Jivev. But he couldn't help but hesitate somewhat. They seemed like ordinary citizens; what were they? Disguised vampires? Criminals? Halberd usually knew a criminal when he saw one, so the three must be clever. What was that trio up to... either way, Halberd put his trust in Jivev, but she'd better be damn right about this.

Something felt off about this sudden attack though. He didn't like attacking unarmed people. For a captain to order an attack on three unarmed people from behind must've meant that those three had done some serious shit.

Halberd eventually gave a slow nod in reply to Jivev, and shifted the position on the axe handle over his shoulder. He licked his lips, waiting for Jivev's mark. One slash straight through the middle of them should do it. They wouldn't feel any pain, or even know what hit them.

Callous Butchery

Halberd winced as those words forced their way into his head. He swallowed, and the position on his axe became less steady. God damn it! She didn't understand why he had to do these things. It may have looked horrible, slicing people with Retribution for serious wrongdoings, but one-by-one, murderers and psychopaths were being cleansed from Drisbane. And he was willing to get his hands bloody for the happy, bustling, and respectful city he envisioned day and night. Somewhere where he could have peace, and not need to worry about what was in that dark alley.

Maybe then he could ask her. Talk to her again. Talk to his friends again. Smile at his safe citizens.

Halberd prepared to strike.

Kazuma looked at the stormy sky above with an expression of regret, his mouth hanging open ever so slightly. "Well, crap," he muttered as he left the ship. Letting the storm elemental go seemed like a good idea at the time, and it had certainly seemed like the logical thing to do! Then again, Kazuma still wasn't used to the whole "social interaction" and "guessing other people's feelings" things. He preferred his machinery. It either worked or it didn't, and you could find exactly why it did or didn't work. People were different. They were happy and they were sad, they were talkative and they were quiet, they were forgiving and they were vengeful. Without knowing someone very well, it was difficult to predict their actions. This was proven in Kazuma's encounter with Thunderhead. Were Kazuma in Thunderhead's place, he likely would've sailed off to somewhere distant, and be thankful that the two champions had released him. However, Thunderhead was not Kazuma, and it looked like he had a bit of destruction on his mind.

Kazuma was just starting to be thankful that his suit was waterproof when a stranger began to yell at them. He assumed this was the person that the dragon had mentioned earlier, and that she was the owner of the ship whom Apex had mentioned. Kazuma was about to speak in their defense when he thought better of it. Junkiro was better at that sort of thing. From now on, he would let Jun handle all discussions. At least until he got better at it. As he glanced away and saw the people marching towards the ship, he couldn't help but interrupt the one talking at the moment and call "Who are they?"

Once Natalya had introduced them, and explain what had been going on the outside to her leader Aurora felt no need to explain what she had come here for as her guide had basically explained it in a nutshell minus what Aurora hadn't told the blood mage. From the trip to the library it was pretty clear that these other land visitor's situation was possibly on a more higher note of importance even though they had been technically not at first aiming to gain a audience with Goetia. Leave it to the Guardians to not at least hear what had to be said... then again Mimo was always that stubborn when it came to missions... nothing else mattered at the time.

"What I have to say can wait. I believe these two are more in a rush then I," Aurora politely spoke as she motioned the two strangers to take the first part of the audience giving Aurora a chance to observe the room. It was pretty common with nothing really out of place though it was odd that this was apparently Kaido's original spot of operation that the new leader was willing to keep for himself. Frua himself seemed pretty decent a person However hearing about a person, and actually knowing them were two different things so Aurora would save judgment for later.

As Junkiro left the airship with Kazuma, it quickly dawned, or in this case, rained, upon him that his suspicions may well have been valid after all. A torrent was deluging Drisbane seemingly out of nowhere; speaking of nowhere, the thunderous individual they had released was nowhere to be found. Or was he? It didn't take a genius to figure out what was going on. Jun did not glare at Kazuma, nor did he even give an "I told you so." After looking up at the sky for a few moments, Junkiro merely nodded, muttering "So I see...."

With little else they could do with the situation, the two slogged through the countryside back to their district; perhaps there they could make some better plans as to what to do. Halfway there, however, their path was interrupted by a new face; a face whose fire seemed to match the fire of her temper. Her single question 'did you do this' completely erased any doubt from the gum-warrior's head: Zikix WAS supposed to be left inside the airship. Now he turned to speak to Kazuma.

"Kaz, let this be a lesson, right here, right now: You can't trust everyone you meet. Last time I did...I nearly died and was labeled a traitor. Ya gotta step back and consider every possibility, y'hear? Tha's why I asked him so many questions...cuz he sounded just like that woman did..." Junkiro fell silent for a minute before speaking again. "It is what it is. Either way...time to pay for it."

Junkiro now turned back to the redhead Secondwinder. "Yeah...that thundercloud deceived us into setting him free. We did not know this was his true intention. We accept full blame...and will do whatever it takes to help fix the situation." Yes, he was speaking for Kazuma, but at this point it didn't really matter; Kaz was just as at fault as he was for letting him choose. Kazuma, rather than add his thoughts, asked a strange question: Who were...who? Following his line of sight, Junkiro could pick up some rather shiny figures approaching the airship...given their unknown nature, what Thunderhead had said about the Eudatsi, and the situation...it couldn't be a coincidence. "Hmm....I wonder if they're who I think they are....but are they more important that wha's going on up in the sky, is the question."

Lyssa roared in fury as she dove to the side, narrowly avoiding the giant's blade as she drew her own once more. The sheer force of the titan's blow knocked her off the wall and to the ground, where she rose alongside Kanade, glaring death at the foreign soldiers. "Treacherous bastards!" She bellowed, furious at both the invaders, and at herself for not seeing this coming. She should have known there would be no peaceful solution. There never was. With a snap of her fingers, golden blades of light manifested above her, all pointed at the foreign soldiers.

"You attack us under the guise of parley?! Filthy, honorless dogs." Lyssa spat, utterly enraged as she pointed her blade at them. "You want this sword so badly? Then you shall have it." And a golden storm descended upon the soldiers.

NrOIoQB.png

@Psyker Landshark @R-9 Pilot

Debris fell from the giant's sword as it lifted the mighty blade from between the split wall. It kept the weapon pointed towards the two girl's, though the remains of the wall still stood between it and them. The soldiers, on the other hand, were already within a stone's throw from them. They surrounded Lyssa and Kanade, blades already drawn upon them. Their numbers, coupled with those that had disappeared along the wall and with Lizbaine, piqued their curiosity; how many could there be before they were deemed an army? There was an entire nation, presumably, of these people many miles away, and an even greater empire behind that.

The rain picked up until it was a torrent, enough to mildly obscure the vision of those present. Lyssa's swords, having been aimed before the downpour fell, all hit their mark, wounding four of the soldiers. Two of them were unharmed; their armor seemingly absorbed the arcane energy, dispersing it into nothing upon their glistening surface.

The remaining six charged after them equally. Kanade avoided two of their slashes, and simply shrugged off the third that clashed with her skin. Lyssa easily dodged her own assailants before the sound of machinery whirring returned their attention back to the wall. The giant's sword crashed down upon Lyssa, breaking earth and forcing her onto her back. The strike was little more than a strong pounding in the end, and as the sword lifted, she easily rose to her feet.

Frua's eyes sparked upon the mention of foreigners. He stared intently on Okine and Ferenfel, the latter's ears moreso than her person. Turning to Aurora, he was given an indication that the girl needed privacy with him before she'd speak. Gesturing for a pair of seats behind them, Frua moved over to his own and sat down.

"I apologize for the lack of seats for all of you," indeed there were only two, "I generally only get single students coming in here with questions on their studies." Okine shrugged as if to decline a seat, while Ferenfel meekly sat down herself. "The Second Winds, hm? You privy yourself an organization of some sort?" Okine shrugged again.

"More or less. I think we'd simply call ourselves freedom fighters, or just refugees," she said. Frua's eyes glimmered again.

"Refugees? From where?" he asked.

"All over the place. We come from different corners of the globe. Ferenfel here is from Quieta in the far north. I'm from the El-Centurie archipelago to the southwest of Drisbane itself," Okine explained. Their explanation of their history and identities culminated in the mention of a formidable empire on their doorstep, a revelation that came as a surprise to Frua, despite being a scholar of presumably expansive knowledge.

"Hm... well I suppose such is expected," Frua said before turning to Natalya, "In the aftermath of the library's deadness, we've been uncovering some mysteries behind our city's isolationism. It seems as though the Madurn purged a great deal of information from public knowledge some time ago, through various... means. We're gleaning tid bits of information on the outside world slowly, though a foreigner's eye comes as a welcome addition." He thought for a moment.

"I think we would find your information well purposed elsewhere. You could help us a great deal," Frua said to the two foreign girls. After some direction, they left the office, leaving Natalya and Aurora alone with the new Goetia leader.

"Now then, Miss Aurora, what is it you wish to speak about with me?" He glanced over to Natalya before adding in some reassurance. "Natalya here is already well acquainted with the going's-on of the efforts in finding Kaileb. Speak your mind freely."

Just as Jivev was prepared to unleash a sharp call to fight, the sky cracked. A bolt of lightning struck the housing on the other side of the street, harmlessly channeling into a brick chimney that smoked briefly from the heat of the bolt. The three individuals that they were about to attack turned around to look at the phenomenon, and ultimately found their eyes turning towards the three Guardians.

Their eyes widened, and before the three could surge forward, the unnamed targets of Jivev's aggression dashed into the rain. A torrent came down, masking the targets in a wall of water.

"Damn!" Jivev cried out, stomping her foot in a puddle. She cursed to herself a few times before pacing around in place, biting her thumb nail. Before she could speak again, much like the lighting strike mere seconds prior, another sound silenced her. The clash of steel and furious yelling rang in the storm. It was nearby, seemingly just on the other side of buildings they stood underneath. Jivev turned to Halberd and Aiden with a look of worry.

"Let's go. We'll worry about those three later," she said. The team dashed through the nearest clearing in the buildings, exiting onto the next street over. Down it, a girl of immaculately white hair bore a bow and arrow against a group of four armored individuals. Their manner of design was unlike anything they'd seen in Aesil.

One of them already had an arrow in his shoulder, though the white-haired girl seemed badly injured, gripping her arm.

"I should melt you down into an organic soup and use you to power the ship for a measly ten seconds!" the girl shouted, looking as if she was ready to backhand the both of them. The rain, despite its increasingly heavier fall, didn't seem to faze the flame-haired girl as she devolved into unbridled rage. The ground relieved most of her anger in the form of rapid stomping, inevitably dousing Kazuma and Junkiro's pants in mud.

"Fix? Fix it?! There's nothing we can do at this point but enjoy the rain..." her voice trailed off as she traced her gaze to the side. The group got closer, initially heading towards the obvious hulk of the ship down the hill. Nevertheless, Beni seemingly cowered back closer to the city walls.

"Oh no no no no..." she muttered to herself. Suddenly she yelped, and it was clear why; the entourage of soldiers turned their attention up to the three of them and began running up the hill. Beni grabbed Junkiro's clothing at his arms and shook him. "Quick! You've gotta help me hide!"

"If you want to keep that one busy," Kanade said to Lyssa, gesturing toward the colossus that had failed to do more than inconvenience her partner, "I'll deal with the rest. They've been such a good audience, I'd hate to let them go without a reward."

She raised one hand above her head and a sphere of magical energy quickly gathered above it. She then blew a kiss at two of the nearby soldiers who happened to be close enough together, sending that ball of energy along as her little "reward." The soldiers couldn't dodge away in time, and both were blasted off their feet by the ensuing detonation, hitting the ground hard with a mixture of dull thud and metallic clank. Neither got back up.

Kanade turned to the others, and pouted a bit. "I hope the rest of you are stronger than that. It's your turn to entertain me, after all." Not that she wouldn't get her entertainment one way or the other. It was so much more fun when they actually fought back, though. She kept an eye on the giant, just in case it tried something, but her focus was on the remaining soldiers.

It was pouring hard, huh?

Crouching on top of a tall building, Varanense took a deep breath of the cold, damp air. The weather was nice, but then again, when has it not been? After six or so months of studying in the stuffy atmosphere of the Goetian classrooms, it was nice to be out and about. The red…monster? Comet? that fell in the morning had been the talk of the town, but outside of rumors, it appeared that the leaders of the factions had yet to make any announcements about it. Well, whatever. He just had to do his job and not think too hard about the bigger picture. As it stood, when surrounded by illustrious figures such as Tycen, or ambitious figures such as Lizbaine, the blonde youth found it rather easy to stick with only what he had to do. And right now? What he had to do was the usual patrol rounds. Jivev, his commander, was off to smoke out some vampires along with that blood-thirsty Halberd person, so for the time being, Varanense milled about from rooftop to rooftop. He wasn't quite as fast as Eleena, but at least he had the acrobatics to make up for it.

In the rain, he slowly made his way from building to building, his eyes and ears scanning the streets for abnormalities. The sounds of battle could be heard near the walls of Drisbane, and Varanense made that his destination. Adjusting his white bandana, he pushed it farther up his head to keep his rain-slick hair from falling into his eyes, before continuing on, crossbow in hand. The storm was enjoyable, but it was also foreboding now. In the morning, it was the red object. In the noon, it was the unnatural storm. And now, it was the sounds of battle against foreigners.

Suddenly, an arrow of a malignant construction whizzed by his head. Recognizing the shape of it in the split second that it entered his view, the young man tracked the flight of the projectile back to its owner. From a distance of nine hundred meters away, he spotted Lizbaine valiantly struggling against four other armed knights. At melee range, no wonder she was failing so many of her shots. Clicking his tongue, he set up a position by a tower and narrowed his eyes further. Alone, he would not be able to do anything to save her, if she was already in this bad of a state, so the optimal answer would be…

Out of the corner of his eye, he spotted Jivev, and silently thanked the woman and her posse for deciding for him. In that moment, Varanense took off, leaping from building to building in order to close the distance. His illusionary magic could only function within a range of 500 meters. As it was now, there was no way for him to actually say anything to them. The trio outpaced him as well, which sucked even more, and it was only until he got to 400 meters of Lizbaine that he was finally able to sit down and close his eyes.

Reaching out with his arcane powers, he projected an image of himself before the three, the illusionary copy woven from strings of magical power before solidifying into a singular presence. "I'll provide support, Jivev," the decoy said, saluting, "And Halberd, was it? Please don't execute them."

That axe-wielding, bloodthirsty sergeant had quite the reputation, really, of his thirst for blood, his undying rage towards vampires, and all that jazz. Normally, Varanense wouldn't even want to associate with the man, but, alas, from such a distant location, he felt it was safe to say such words.

Ears perked up for any particular orders from the flame-haired sorceress, he aimed his crossbow at the four, focusing his arcane magics into the shape of a crossbow bolt. As soon as his fellow Guardians met the enemy, he'll let loose.

"It'd really suck if you died," he muttered under his breath, "Still need to beat you for the family's honor and all…"

Halberd

Halberd winced as the torrents of water obscured the vision from the three, spitting on the ground with frustration and returning the axe to its standard position over his shoulder. He'd readied a throwing knife, and prepared to chase the three, but knew it was too late. Crackles of blue illuminated the dull visage of the rain here and there. All of a sudden... this weather.

Fucking rain. It always seemed to follow him. Halberd felt the ration packs of hard tack within his trenchcoat pockets reduce to a soggy mush. The bandages wettened into pieces of near-useless paper. His coat became blacker and heavy, and the grey-brown hair became limp and soggy atop his head. Halberd's grip tightened on the wet handle of his axe, and he swore under his breath.
"Fuck's sake! ...We'll get those three later." Though the patters and roars of the rain probably drowned out his rugged voice. Who had those three been? When this shit was taken care of, Halberd would have to pry an explanation from the captain over that drink later.

Then, the sounds of battle in the distance. Halberd pushed the soggy cap up onto his head slowly. It was turning out to be one of those days.

~ ~ ~

The axe-wielding Guardian skidded to a halt, assessing the woman and the four knights, seemingly ready to attack her. The white-haired girl. ...Hurt. Her clothes and style seemed to represent a member of the Aesil faction, though he couldn't be sure. He was only familiar with Guardians. And she'd only managed to injure one of the knights. As for these 'knights'... Halberd didn't know where they came from, or why four men in unknown armour had shown up all of a sudden, but he knew one thing.

Four armoured men teaming up to murder a single woman was fucking disgusting. They dressed like knights, yet they fought like cowards - unless this woman had some sort of extreme power. Halberd didn't live by some extreme code of honour, or anything like that... but this... this was pathetic. Good thing this team of Guardians had come in time, or...

Halberd paused, as a new face appeared. Not completely new... he'd seen this man a few times in the Borough, though didn't know much about him. Blonde hair, white clothes, and a seemingly weak and skinny build. Halberd was surprised he could lift that crossbow, let alone have the strength to draw it.

"And Halberd, was it? Please don't execute them."

Halberd looked at the blond person slowly; he'd yet to know his name. For a moment, he wasn't sure what to think. What kind of request was that? If the four knights attacked, Halberd would ensure they didn't hurt anyone. But if any of them surrendered at any point, he would keep them prisoner. It was easy as that. And it was how he worked when it came to dealing with armed criminals.

"If they attack... what happens, happens." Halberd said slowly. He wasn't going to lower his guard or soften his blows. He wasn't going to do anything to put the lives of comrades at risk because of this recruit's comment.
"Call the girl to cover if things break out. Have my back with that crossbow of yours." With that, Halberd burst forward to the alley.

The rain was pouring.

~ ~ ~

The blade of Halberd's battleaxe smashed into the paved ground as he stood firmly in the way of the white-haired girl, the blade of his axe in front of her like a shield. He looked up slowly at the four knights, ignoring their smug and seemingly uncaring expressions as his gaze was cold and questioning.

"Halberd. Drisbane Guardians." He stated. Seemingly, the four knights awaited what he would say next instead of attacking him straight off the bat. Halberd paused, and tension filled the air as he began to shift his grip on the axe.

"Let's just get to the point." The soaked, grey-brown hair covered Halberd's eyes as he began to adopt into a defensive stance. Wind runes began to glow on his battleaxe, various, small lashes of wind causing the rain to splatter against the walls. His threats and warnings weren't just idle anymore.

"Tell me why you're in our city and attacking this woman."

With his comrades covering him and no doubt about to join him at the battlefield, the four's careless and smug attitude didn't bother him one bit. Halberd's right arm began to tense, ready to unleash a Decimating Blow should the knights charge at him.

"Because if you don't explain yourselves... or if you take one step closer... you won't like what happens next."

Last edited by a moderator:
Natalya listened as Okine described the world around them. She'd rarely thought about what was beyond the walls - hell, she'd spent most of her life thinking only about getting through that day - and the picture that Okine's words painted hung in her mind. Despite its apparent size, Drisbane was tiny, factional politics reduced to insignificance against the machinations of states and empires. Now, it seemed one empire was starting to take an interest in them. And all this knowledge had been hidden by the Madurn many years ago? Why? As Frua finished speaking, Natalya stared into space, pondering the implications of what had been said. Had the Madurn wanted Drisbane to stay isolated? Had they held some plans that required keeping the populace around, or had they sought to hide the existence of Drisbane as best they could?

As Natalya pulled herself out of her musing, the two Second Winds got up and left, and Aurora sat down. Ah yes. The Kaileb business. Natalya still couldn't quite bring herself to be involved with it. 6 months ago, she'd been swept along, hoping to do the right thing for a young girl who seemed to have lost everything. Even throughout that though, she'd never been sure of what she would do had she come face to face with Kaileb. Despite his intentions, he'd raised Natalya a long way from her humble beginnings. Because of him, she'd found somewhere she felt she belonged. It was better for that place that she stayed away from anything involving him - her indecision could have terrible consequences.

"If you don't mind, I'm gonna follow those two instead. If what they say is true, then this Eudasti place has reason to follow them, come after them. Wouldn't want anything happening to them." Natalya looked at Frua, and caught his nod. "See you later then." Before leaving, she shot a hard look at Aurora. Should she be here to cause trouble, she wouldn't get out alive. The gaze said as much. Turning away, she hurried after the Second Winds, catching up to them at the entrance to the library. "Coming with you guys. Call it good hospitality, over-protectiveness or just plain nosiness, whatever you like." Walking along with the librarian, they moved through the library, forcing their way through the crowds. As they passed, a wave of muttering swept across the room. Though unfamiliar faces were par for the course in the library, it seems Ferenfel's ears had been noticed. The muttering grew louder and louder until eventually Natalya had had enough. Spinning around to face the mutterers, Natalya folded her arms. "I'm sure you lot have got better things to do than spread rumors like a bunch of old women! If you don't mind, we're on official business, and I'd rather we weren't disturbed. Anyone who has a problem with that, feel free to raise it with me. I'm sure you'll find me to be a patient and sympathetic listener...provided it's not just pointless blather." Those last few words carrying a strong hint of a threat, Natalya turned back and the group continued.

Moving away from the busiest parts of the library, their librarian guide suddenly ducked down a side passage that Natalya hadn't even noticed, leading to an old door that looked like it hadn't been used for years. As the librarian's keys screeched round in the lock, Natalya looked over to the other two. "Never been here before myself. You pair get the real VIP treatment." The door creaked open, revealing a dusty spiral staircase. Taking a lit torch from the wall, the librarian continued to lead the way, lighting dusty torches in the wall brackets. The bustle and noise of the main library died away as they descended the stairs, entering a large, dark, open space. The outlines of shelves could be seen through the gloom, tightly packed together. Natalya shivered a little, the basement was noticeably colder than the library above. The whole scene was reminiscent of when they were attacked in the library, 6 months ago. Hand drifting to her sword, Natalya scanned the room in case anything burst out at them.

Last edited:
Kazuma soon found himself looking rapidly from the approaching forces to the strange girl who yelled at them to Junkiro and back to the approaching forces. So many questions buzzed in his head. Who was this woman? Were the approaching forces the Eudatsi? How were they supposed to help her hide? What was Zikix going to do? What was going to happen to them when the soldiers got to them? Were Junkiro and Kazuma enough to hold them off? Would they have to hold them off? Would it be easier just to hand over the girl? Would it be smart to hand over the girl? When would he get the chance to scrape the mud off his suit? What would happen to the ship if they handed over the girl? Would the soldiers leave if they handed her over, or would they still attack? What could the girl provide them that would make it the smarter decision to not hand her over? Was the mud getting in the gearboxes at his ankles?

Kazuma knew he'd be unable to keep his head clear, so he decided it best to stay silent and leave the conversations and dealings to Junkiro. As the incident with Thunderhead demonstrated, Junkiro was much more adept to handling situations than Kazuma was. Kazuma had absolutely no experience in the field, so it was likely best for him to just watch and learn.

Lightning struck. The group of three ran off into the ever worsening storm, and soon disappeared into the dull grey horizon. Whoever they were, they understood the danger of being caught by the two beside him. The axe-wielding man beside him expressed his rage for the situation. It was so strange. Aiden was afraid for him. He did not know how Halberd could handle himself in such a state. Aiden didn't know anything about his past, but something is causing him to put some much. Aiden wanted to say something, but nothing came to his mind. Feeling that the best thing he could do was to just speak, he started

"Ha-..."

The sound of steel against steel. Shouts and cries. The sounds of a struggle. Jivev knew it. Halberd knew it. Even Aiden, ignorant of everything that occurred in this city knew it. Jivev didn't need to tell them to hurry. Whatever was happening, it was happening now. There was no way they could catch the others. The rain continued to fall.

Water splashed as they ran through the flooded streets of the city. There stood four armored figures, all of which surrounding a girl wielding a longbow. It seemed one of the knights was wounded, clearly displayed by the shaft lodged in his shoulder. However, it was nothing compared to the condition the girl was in. No doubt the four would slaughter her in an instant. It was shocking to see her still able to stand.

Why are things happening like this? Crashing ships, vampires, sudden thunderstorms, violence in the streets... All this? Aiden was so entranced by his research he missed it all. He knew nothing of what was happening. It happened back with the Goetia, and know it was happening again.

"Just what the Hell goes on in this city..."

He tensed up thinking about this. How could he be so blind? How could he not know this was happening? He was never too concerned about the activity of the city. Even if he was a part of the faction sworn to protect this city. It was because people like Halberd existed. With people like him, the city must be nigh perfect! Oh how stupid he was...

A fourth member seemed to materialize next to them. He addressed Halberd, cautioning him to leave the four assailants alive. It was difficult to see his expression in the onslaught of rain, but it was not necessary. His tone told everything there was to say. But there was something strange about it... Something unsettling about it... Halberd addressed the four knight in front of them. It was at this time, that Aiden felt it was a good idea to move into a better position to rush in and defend the archer should the need arise. But he couldn't help but to listen to Halberd talk. And as he listened, he knew what it was. Why he was scared of this man who wished for nothing but justice. Aiden whispered to himself his new discovery.

"His tone says all that needs to be said. He is thirsty. But he doesn't know what for: Justice, or Blood."

Thunder and pounding rain were the only things to break the silence.

Last edited:
The young woman understandably went into a fit of rage at Jun's and Kazuma's mistake, threatening them and stomping about to his mild amusement; not that he'd show it, though...he had a hunch that even beginning to chuckle at her temper tantrum would result in his head on a pike. All he could do is take whatever punishment they got. Apparently little could be done now that Thunderhead escaped....looked like they were in for a long little monsoon. Jun liked the rain, but at this rate, flooding would happen in hours. They had to do something...right?

As she noticed the group of soldiers coming their way, however, her attitude did a 180, going from enraged authority to one much like frightened schoolgirl. She shook Junkiro to and fro, begging herself to be hidden...were these guys that terrifying or something? Or maybe she was a fugitive? Jun had no idea, but they owed this woman one way or another, and they were approaching quickly. Jun glanced about the area; not really anywhere in the immediately vicinity to hide, though there was some large debris a ways off that she could probably use. She wouldn't make it in time before the soldiers were upon them, though.

Glancing at Kazuma, Junkiro had one idea. He nodded at his mechanized companion, having come up with the best plan for now. "Kazuma. Hide this woman behind your mech suit. It's large enough that she can hide comfortably...and you," he addressed the woman, "It looks like we may have to fight. If that happens, watch for a moment when as many soldiers are distracted with us, then make a break for that debris. It'll shield you until the fight's over." Junkiro, a carefree wanderer mere months ago, had taken on the poise and understanding of an upper-ranking Champion in that time; he really was beginning to come into his own.

"...I see then I will speak openly," Aurora spoke as Frua motioned her to sit down reassuring her that Natalya had a right to hear whatever she had come to say. Yet the moment the unaligned woman sat down the blood bender left the room though right before she left Natalya gave Aurora a cold stare that the purple armored woman returned with a blank look having no reason to give Natalya a reaction as it did no good. Once Natalya was gone the unique eye's of the warrior woman returned to Frua as she gave a soft sigh deciding how best to explain her cause of arrival.

"Awhile back Kaileb sent a group out to find a associate... a Astra Forbes... as you know she was a vampire, and had a child with her now in the hands of the Guardians," Aurora spoke as she watched Frua expressions to make sure he was following her. Once she was positive he was she continued.

"Tell me what do you know about that situation," she asked politely not wanting to sound to straight forward, but more so to tread lightly to make sure she wasn't setting herself up for a bad situation. That, or giving information that could end up harming a possibly handled situation. If the child was safer with Goetia, or Guardian's was now the issue inside Aurora's mind, and to know that answer she needed to her what the current leading figure of Goetia knew.

Lyssa stood up, brushing herself off. By the Heavens, how did this congregation of soldiers not count as an army?! Lyssa was confident that they could handle the soldiers and giants here, and that the larger group of soldiers in the city would be dealt with, but that would simply mean these people would return in larger numbers. How long could they hold out before they were either overwhelmed, or the Heavens decided that man deserved another Sentence? And would these people even care? Would they doom the world?

Shaking her head, she wiped those thoughts of from her mind and roared as golden wings of light manifested behind her. Idle speculation could come later. Right now, she had a battle to win.

"Fine by me." She called over to Kanade after she spoke. Raising herself up in the air, Lyssa sheathed her sword and drew her old hammer from its sling on her back. As powerful as her sword was, she didn't quite feel confident enough to test it against a being of solid metal plate. Screaming a battle cry, she brandished her hammer and charged at the collosus.

Originally divided into two groups, the remaining four soldiers turned their attention to Kanade as Lyssa valiantly charged after the colossus. Without another moment to spare, all four charged at the arcane singer, swords readied. Enhanced by her 'EX' mode, the girl found it pitifully easy to dodge the flurry of strikes from the four enemies, side-stepping and ducking each. They kept at it, however, remaining just beside her in a circle, prepared to continue their assault.

The colossus rose its sword skyward for a split second. As if stricken by a lightning bolt from the soaring storm, the blade erupted in blue light, suddenly aflame with ethereal energy. Gripping it with both hands, the immense machine brought it in a long but powerful strike across the ground for Lyssa. The telegraph was just enough for Lyssa to notice and she avoided the blade, feeling the wind it pulled gust against her side.

7eWnyH7.png

@RJS

Frua gave Natalya a light nod as she left and a smile, waving goodbye before returning his attention diligently to Aurora. He listened to Aurora's short recollection of previous events. How she had known such was immaterial to Frua, who simply assumed that word, like it usually did, spread fast. He closed his eyes and collected his thoughts.

"From what we have gleaned, Carol was an experiment of the Madurn, and eventually discovered by Kaileb who continued to keep her secret. Astra Forbes seemed to have grown fond of Carol before deciding to spirit her away from Kaileb. I can only assume Astra knew something of Kaileb's plans with Carol, but they remain unknown to us." He opened his eyes and looked sternly to Aurora. "That is all we know currently." The head librarian gave Aurora an expectant look, obviously waiting and hoping for her to divulge something new.

-------------------------------------​

In the darkness of the lower floor, the torch was silent. The air was so still and stale it almost seemed like a vacuum. Ferenfel sneezed. The librarian continued forward, illuminating empty bookshelves as they passed them by. Ferenfel hugged close to Okine as they followed suit.

"Did you empty the bookshelves or something?" Okine asked, looking side to side.

"Indeed. It was difficult to light the place here, so we opted to bring them to the surface instead. But those books aren't what we need your help with," they said. The group reached the end of the room, a stone, featureless wall. The Librarian extended a hand to the surface, pressing their palm upon it. A red glow glimmered underneath the edges of their skin and the sounds of distant rumbling caught their ears. After a moment, the stone wall simply faded from existence, replaced by empty air and further darkness. Stepping through, they found themselves in yet another darkened room.

"We've yet to explore the true size of this room. Keep close, lest you lose your way," the librarian urged. They beckoned forward and continued into the darkness. Shelves were replaced by single, man-sized rectangular pillars erecting from the ground. They were featureless until one of them came close, at which point they glowed with a red symbol, like magical tripwires.

The librarian stopped at a particular pillar and held their hand out to it. Like in the library above, as Natalya had once experienced, the librarians could pull books from flat surfaces inscribed with runes. The librarian did just that, materializing a solid book from the glowing rune on the pillar.

"We've managed to find this particular book, a map," they said, opening it up to a two-page image depicting a misshapen object. It was empty and without words, save for one dot and 'Drisbane' printed beside it. "We could only unlock the general shape of the map, but the labels and features elude us. We've figured out that merely mentioning certain key words reveals portions of the information, but things such as names of places cannot be stated, since we have no information on them in the first place. For example..." The librarian said the word 'compass' to the book, and a cardinal compass faded into existence on one of the pages outside the outlined map.

"Oh! Let me try!" Ferenfel said, sliding over to the librarian's side. "Quieta!" To the north of the outline, the word Quieta appeared in large letters. Ferenfel made a noise of glee before grabbing Okine's shoulders and pulling her close. "Your turn!" Okine smiled meekly and hesitated.

"E-e-el Centurie islands..." she mumbled. They waited. Nothing appeared. Ferenfel looked towards Okine with worry.

"Is it off the map, Ok-" the elf was cut off by a loud, metallic sound in the distance. It echoed several times.

"What was that?" Okine asked. The librarian was quiet for a moment, peering into the darkness before shaking their head.

"I-I'm not sure." In the far distance, red symbols lit up in sequence, as if someone or something was walking by the pillars. As it came closer, the sound of metal needles scurrying across the stone ground became louder and louder.

Jivev clasped at her chest upon Varanense's appearance, somewhat relieved to find another Guardian present and willing to aid them. The Guardian captain could tell who the white-haired girl was; she was already familiar from Varanense's constant mention of Lizbaine. "Good to have you here, Varry," she said to the bowman. Lizbaine backed up towards the bowman's illusion, clasping her shoulder with a wince. She knew when it was time to fall back.

"Tch. Same to you. This guy's no pushover," she cautioned to Varanense. The knight that she had already hit with an arrow fell to one knee, seemingly willing to sit it out at that point. The other three, two similarly armored knights, and a foreboding, masked knight at the head of their formation, seemed fully ready to fight.

The unknown captain took a step forward as Halberd threatened them, expression obscured by a masked-helmet. "Your city knowingly harbors criminals," he said, "...and this woman lied to us, wasting our time. I suggest you allow us to search your city unimpeded." Lizbaine mumbled to Varanense.

"There's a lot more of them outside the city walls, and supposedly an entire empire behind them. Careful what you decide to do. Don't avenge me if it means sparking a war."

A vein nearly popped on Beni's head, for what reason neither Palacian could fathom. Still, she followed Junkiro's directions and hid behind Kazuma's mech, being just small enough to be obscured completely. Presumably the engineer followed Junkiro's directions as well and kept further away from the city wall. Merely standing behind him in the face of the oncoming forces wouldn't have been enough, after all.

The unknown soldiers approached Junkiro, looking about for Kazuma who had himself hidden away nearby behind some houses, still within earshot of the discussion. "Greetings citizen of Drisbane. We're looking for six individuals. They're very hard to miss. They must have arrived on that ship that crashed there. A red-haired woman, short, with goggles most likely. A dragonoid, a man of white hair, wears priestly robes, "he listed them off, "an elf and a girl with a trident tattoo on her cheek... and a knightess." There were at least two dozen soldiers just behind him, most of them looking towards the ship rather than Junkiro.

"It would help us greatly if you knew their whereabouts." The man looked confused for a moment, "There was another boy with you here, no?"

Meanwhile, Beni kept close by Kazuma, now obscured by a home rather than his suit alone. She knocked her fist on his suit twice. "Nice gear you got here. I guess Drisbane isn't as backwards as I thought."

Kanade dodged around the soldier's attacks with ease, teasing them with the close calls, and refusing to raise her weapon to defend herself. "Come on, push me harder than this," she taunted them, clearly upset at the lack of challenge even while outnumbered. Getting her surrounded was clearly a mistake, as she showed no signs of being remotely worried by the situation, not that she'd been more than calmly amused the entire battle so far.

She leaped straight up into the air, and once again formed a small sphere of energy, which she spiked down into the ground where she was a moment before. The blast of magical energy sent broken rock and piles of sod flying, spraying the surrounding area with debris and clearing its epicenter for Kanade to daintily land. All four of the once-proud soldiers were bodily knocked away by the explosion, and one man's armor was shattered asunder, to land in a heap of twisted metal around him. One of the four guards shakily got to his feet and began running.

"Where'd all that confidence go," Kanade shouted after him as she bag to give chase. "Aren't you a proud soldier of a mighty empire? I'm not about to just let you get away."

Halberd

Halberd lips curled into a scowl as the knight ignored his warning and took a step forward. He was just about ready to start the fight there and then, until the knight actually stated his intentions. Halberd's fingers drummed on the handle of his axe impatiently for a second.
"Catching criminals is our job. Not yours." He muttered. He paused, and thought for a moment. Kalieb flashed to his mind for some reason.

"Hold on. You looking for anyone in particular?"

"Six individuals whom had surely crash-landed here earlier," the captain said loud through the rain. "At first we were unsure if they indeed found their way into this city, but after the unusual storm arrived we had become certain."

Halberd paused, masking the fact that he'd seen the very same six people enter the city himself. He didn't know which way all of them had went, but he knew one thing. Some of them had went with Natalya. If these knights ran into her, there could be trouble. Halberd remained silent for a moment, putting his axe over his shoulder but not fully holstering it.

"If they committed serious crimes, we could help you find them; I could report it to the Warden. We could even heal your injured friend there." Halberd looked at the kneeling knight briefly, before looking back and casting a piercing gaze into the captain's helmet.
"But. you attack one of our own for 'lying'. You probably don't even care about this place. You probably think we're all just a big joke." His eyes narrowed as he tensed up a little. "Just here for the criminals, and you'll crush anyone who gets in your way." He took one step forward.

"If that's how you want to do things, then you're in for a bad time. ...Or, we can holster our weapons."

He then stepped back after a delay, looking behind him at the others through the rain as his grey-brown hair slicked behind him. Halberd's face seemed stressed and conflicted, as if asking the others what they thought should be done.

He always felt like he made the wrong call anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.