The Sangruis Society

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
"...Ah. Well, yes. I understand that totally. Obediah has often said how he would want nothing more than to return home to care for his mother, but that's not possible for him either. He helps with the running of the Society; does all the boring work behind the scenes that keeps it running smoothly. I'd be lost without him, actually. So yes, it's probably best you stay here and he returns with me-- though the invitation remains. If you ever find yourself eager for a little adventure in the big city, the door to the Sangruis Society is always open to you," he nodded with a faint smirk on his lips, tapping his fingers against the wood of the armchair he was sat in. He only invited in men to join the Society who a) were informed about the existence of vampires, and b) wanted to become one themselves, abandoning their old lives in the process. Inviting Forrest along without informing him of what the Society actually stood for amused him to no end, though he only extended the invite because he knew it would be rejected.

That wasn't to say he would retract it if Forrest did accept it - he hadn't lied when he said he found the man interesting. In fact, if anything, he was more drawn to him than he was to any human he had interacted with. With most humans, he got close to them if it benefited him in some way, whether that was financially or to settle his thirst. He had no reason to interact with Forrest when he planned to do nothing to him, yet here he was, unable to stay away from him. Sure, the other's blood was far more tempting to him than most humans' blood was, and it was becoming gradually more difficult to force back how tempting it would be to taste it for himself, but that fact also unnerved him a little. He had never been so drawn to a single person and their blood before - which only increased just how curious he was with Forrest. In fact, he didn't want to rush back to London without first determining just what it was about the other he felt so drawn in by.

"Now, will I get to meet the lucky woman that stole your heart tomorrow?" He asked to fill the silence he had left, pointing to the ring on his finger. "I'll try not to get jealous that she managed to snag such a handsome man-- do tell me if I'm making you uncomfortable, by the way. I saw your reaction to Padraig and Obediah - I'd hate to make you feel awkward like that when you're so generously allowing me to stay tonight. I'm many things, but I'm not disrespectful."

"Oh, no. I just - as I said, I'm just not used to all of this flattery," he reassured as he poured himself another glass, deciding to take his time with the next glass. Taking a small sip, he let his eyes lock on the moon as it poured in through the large window. It just reminded him just how exhausted he felt yet the anxiety kept him up nonetheless. A small, bashful smile did creep to his lips as he absently tapped his free hand's fingers along the wooden arm of the chair.

"Isabelle? Yes, of course. She... isn't as accepting of my brother as me nor my mother are, nor are our sisters. It's disheartening, to be honest. I just... to be honest, I never asked for any of this. I didn't ask to be married off to some random woman before I even met her properly, I never asked to take care of our mother or take care of the estate. I would love to join some strange 'society' or what have you. I shouldn't be saying any of this to you, not really - you don't need to care about any of my problems."

Reactions: potassiumboron
"No, I don't need to care, you're right. I do find myself caring, however. It was the same with your brother. I had no need to care for him, but there was something about him I felt instantly connected to. Same goes for you. Trust me, it'd be far easier not to grow attached to someone I'll never see again once I leave, but I don't like to pretend," he drawled, hiding the smirk that threatened to show at the words. It was true that he didn't like to pretend, hence his forwardness with his fashion (he liked it and that was all that mattered to him), but he was also aware that he pretended on a daily basis to be something he wasn't, at least when he was in the company of humans. He could hardly go claiming to be a vampire without serious repercussions. It was, in his mind, the only time where pretending was the best course of action.

"Anyway, I've been in similar situations. I was once engaged myself, you know. The only difference was that I had the chance to leave; I suppose you can't abandon your marriage and your estate. It's admirable, in many ways, that you're sacrificing personal happiness for others. Of course, I'm too selfish; I'd leave in an instant-- but you're clearly a stronger man than I am. I don't think I could remain here when it wasn't what I wanted from my life," he continued as he sipped at the whiskey, unable to stop himself from dropping in little hints. In an ideal world, he'd be able to bring back some handsome, wealthy man to the Society and slowly introduce him to ideas of vampirism, like he had with Obediah. The fact he had a wife, an ill mother and an estate to look after were unfortunate stumbling blocks, but August usually got what he wanted. If it took a little time, he was willing to be patient - he had his eyes now set on claiming the other for himself, however long it took to do so.

"...The Society and I will always be there if you change your mind, of course. Even if you decide to take a little visit for a weekend, the doors will be open to you. I'd love to get to know you better, outside of this place. I don't think you get to express yourself whilst you're here-- I just get a feeling you're putting on a mask, acting the way you think a head of the house ought to ask. I understand why you'd do that, of course I do. It's just sad, I think, that you can't do what you want to do. The Society is very accepting; we're all about letting our members express themselves as they wish."

"That's very kind of you, especially since you have no reason to be as welcoming as you are. Its actually somewhat jarring - I've never had someone being this kind without an ulterior motive. Alas, unlike my father I haven't really been able to make any friends who could manipulate me. It's been very... isolated here," he continued to admit, the whiskey easily making his words slip now that he was halfway through his second glass and eager for the third.

"You still haven't told me what that Society of yours does, exactly. It... attracts interesting members, clearly, which is... nice," he admitted as he now took in the strange fashion from the other. He rarely saw women with their ears actually pierced so to see a man with one was more than a little off for him. "My brother's... companion? He seems very, ah... unique, as well."

Reactions: potassiumboron
"Padraig? He's certainly a character; he's a sailor, really. He's just taking a few years away from the high seas. It's a good thing he did, really, or he'd have never met your brother and those two get on like a house on fire, it's rather adorable, actually. And amusing, I think, to see a man like Padraig get all soft and caring over someone - I've only seen him that way when it comes to Obediah. It's why I think I like you as much as I do; you're at least open to being accepting. In society today, that's rather rare," he sighed, his hand running through his hair as his eyes (a light pink colour given his recent feed) locked on the various portraits lining the walls. He wanted nothing more than to have a portrait of his own in the Society, alongside the other members, but he didn't really want to start the process when he wasn't certain he had finished collecting members for the club - and it wouldn't be fair to leave any future members out of something as important as a collective painting of them all.

"...It's not really as interesting as most people seem to think. It has a reputation in London, you see; not just anyone gets to join us. We've turned down some very prestigious men and that increases the mysterious reputation we seem to have. Nobody knows what we do-- but I can tell you it's not at all scandalous or salacious. We're just a group who have similar... hobbies, that's all there is to it. Of course there's more I could say but I'm not at liberty to discuss it, I don't think the other members would like me spilling all our secrets," he laughed, the sound upbeat and musical as he clearly began to enjoy himself, the fact he was withholding the main purpose of the Society bringing him more joy than he clearly cared to admit - though he didn't fail on showing. "You'd have to be willing to join us for me to tell you what we really stand for-- and I cling to the hope you'll join us one day. I can't think of anything more enjoyable than that."

"Well, that isn't very fair. If I were to join, I would at least like to know what I would be in for," he countered quickly as he leaned back a bit more in his chair, his own eyes taking in the portraits. Generations of the Crownfield's men lined the walls, all but himself and Obediah of course. Now that Forrest was the head of the household, he was expected to eventually have a portrait of himself done as well to join his ancestors. The idea made him more than uncomfortable.

"Why would I join if I don't share that hobby? Not to mention it would have to be something fun to convince me to leave home for London," he continued with raised brows, a soft pink returning to his cheeks as he tapped his nails on the arm rest. "Even if I were able to, I need to be motivated. I... suppose I could see my brother there, but I doubt he wants anything to do with me after this - I don't blame him."

"...Good point. I would happily tell you if I believed you would a) accept the terms, and b) be willing to leave everything here behind. At this point in time, I don't think there's a likelihood of either, so letting you in on our little secret isn't... wise of me. I'll let you ponder what we could be hiding; it'll give you something to think about. And who doesn't adore a good mystery? It too your brother four years to become a proper member, before he agreed to the terms. I can wait for four years for you if I need to," he declared confidently, his nails continuing to tap on the arm of the chair. He was half-tempted to just admit everything there and then, to at least see how the other reacted and if there was any chance he would be tempted by immortality and the freedom to do whatever he desired... but where was the fun in that? It was far more fun to let the mystery intrigue him until he made his mind up to go for it - if he ever did, of course. Besides, as Obediah's brother, August was obliged not to reveal the secret to him, in fear of ruining the brotherly bond the two had. He liked Obediah too much to risk doing something like that.

"Regardless, keep it in mind. If you were eager to learn more and willing to leave here, then I'd contemplate letting out more information to you. Until then, let's leave it as a mystery. We enjoy being mysterious; I suppose I'm rather dramatic like that. I like people to gossip about the Society and its members. It amuses me, I suppose," the vampire drawled as he feigned a yawn, just to keep up the appearance that he was a normal human, getting tired by the late hour. "You could at least visit us to see Obediah in the future. I don't let non-members into the Society but I'd make an exception for you."

"Well, you're certainly piquing my interest the more - or less - you talk about it," he admitted, finishing the second glass to pour himself a third. "I suppose I could convince Isabelle to watch my mother whilst I'm gone, though I couldn't be away for too long, you know? Just like how you can't be away from your Society or what have you," he drawled with a groan, rubbing his forehead wearily.

"I think I'm feeling a bit better," he admitted after a pause. "You seem tired, I don't want to upset your sleep just because I enjoy talking to you too much," he snorted, his face only growing more red at the admission as he slowly got to his feet. Setting his glass down, he moved to close the bottle carefully while inspecting just how little was left.

"You enjoy talking to me? I've been called charming before -in fact, I think I was called remarkably charming- but I've never had someone enjoy my company so much within such a short time of getting to know me. That said, I enjoy talking to you, too. You're a wonderful man, Forrest," he praised as he patted his arm in a friendly manner, though did let the hand linger on his bicep just a little longer than it perhaps needed to. He had the sense that there was more to Forrest than met the eye when it came to his sexuality, and that inkling needed to be tested - the blushing was possible evidence, of course, but it was far from enough. A little flirtation and some light touches here and there would help him gather a better picture of Forrest and whether there was any chance he could become a lover for a night or two in the future.

With a final smile -one he made sure was just a little flirtatious-, he waved back at him and made his way up the extravagant staircase. If there was one thing he liked, it was the house's unashamedly grand interior. He was always a fan of the in-your-face approach to interior design - the Society's interior and his own appearance was proof of that.

He didn't head straight to his bedroom, however. He didn't need to sleep and he wasn't really in the mood to be alone, so he naturally headed into Obediah's room. He knew he'd probably be interrupting something, but he wasn't prepared to sit in his room alone when he had friends he could be sat up speaking to so.

"When you both have quite finished under those covers, I need to talk to you both-- regarding Forrest. I quite like him and it'd be an awful shame for me to leave London before I've... left an impression on him. You two can go back to the Society tomorrow; it'll be overcast and cloudy enough for you to head home in the day. I'll follow back in another day or so. I'm too intrigued in him to leave so soon-- I trust you both to look after the Society and the other members in my absence."

There was a pause and some quiet murmuring before Padraig would open the door, his pants loosely shimmied on with his chest bare, thankful for the fact that there was a house full of humans who operated on a, well, human sleep schedule. Leaning against the doorframe, the former pirate couldn't help but roll his eyes when he realized August was serious.

"Really? You're willing to stay behind our in the middle of nowhere because of the very slim chance you could take Obediah's brother to bed with you?" He confirmed in a scoff of disbelief. "You're mad, really. How do you know he would even offer to cooperate? He does have a wife, right? You're in over your head, August - but I know you well enough to know you won't listen to me," he sighed, shaking his head in disappointment before glancing over at Obediah from his bed.

"Do you want to return to London or do you want to watch August's attempts to charm your brother crash and burn?" He curiously asked as he leaned against the doorframe, his arms folded with a smirk as he took his boyfriend in.

"You are not serious-- surely you aren't going to try and charm my brother? August, I... I've seen for myself how utterly charming you are, and it's a talent, really, but my brother isn't interested in men. He has a wife he loves, I-- don't want their marriage to be ruined," began Obediah from the bed, sat up against the headboard with his arms folding over his own bare chest-- well, momentarily at least. The moment he took into account how amused August was by his dishevelled appearance, he made a move to try and fix his messy hair, pouting in annoyance all the while. He knew it was risky to get intimate with Pat, but the moment he decided to take the risk was the moment August chose to interrupt - so of course it irked him. That irritation did dim when he heard about August's interest in his brother, his immediate refusal to let it go ahead slowly changing into acceptance. He remembered just how judgemental Isabelle had been four years ago; how she looked so disgusted when his fling with the butler was uncovered.

If August wanted to try and pursue her husband, Obediah figured it wouldn't be too bad letting him go ahead with that. He didn't think Forrest would ever reciprocate those feelings, but it would at least be worthwhile watching August at work. It never failed to amaze him to witness just how charming the elder vampire could be.

"What makes you think I'll fail, exactly? Your brother is not straight. I imagine that angers you, knowing he sat back and let you get abandoned whilst he harboured similar feelings towards men, but-- well, it can't have been easy standing up to your father, if he was as monstrous as you claim. No, your brother is marvellous and he'll be mine-- I just need a little time to work my magic. The fact you both doubt me is, frankly, insulting," he sighed dramatically, his lips pursing. "We'll all stay an extra few days-- Pat will be responsible of getting you blood, Obediah, you won't need to worry. We'll make sure you don't hurt anyone here. And you can both apologise to me when Forrest begs to come back to London with us all; which he will. He'll be a member of the Society one day, I already know it."

"I wish I had the confidence - or stupidity - you possess, August. I certainly know it isn't naivety, you're far too old for that," he continued to drawl, stepping out of the way of the door to offer August inside. While he wasn't worried about being discovered, he didn't really want to deal with the trouble Obediah could get in if someone overheard.

"How can you be so certain that he isn't straight?" He continued to prod before taking a seat on the bed, stretching out his legs and arms wearily. "What, did he say so otherwise or are you going off intuition alone? Do you know how disastrous this could be if you fail? Obediah might never be able to see his family again and I know that doesn't mean much to us, it's pretty obvious that it is important to him - right, Obediah?" He confirmed, his hand reaching to meet the other's affectionately.

"...I'll admit that he didn't really give much away but I've never been wrong before, and you know that, Pat. He's interested in me; he thinks I'm attractive. I know that for certain, that much was obvious in the way he held my eye and blushed and-- you need to trust me on this. If it ends disastrously, I'll take the blame. It shouldn't impact Obediah whatsoever," he grimaced, his own arms folding as he took into account Obediah's genuinely concerned frown. For a moment, the vampire considered abandoning the idea altogether, until realising just how weirdly connected he felt to Forrest. He couldn't just leave without trying something, or he'd regret it for, potentially, years.

"You don't understand," he continued with a tired sigh, sitting on the bed beside them. "I... haven't felt this connected to a human before. I was destined to meet him. What fate has planned for us, I'm uncertain of, but I'm certain he and I are supposed to meet. At least let me have time to get to know him. I'm not going to hurt him, Obediah, and I promise you both I won't make a move until I'm confident my feelings will be reciprocated."

"...I guess. I'l be furious if he does. He watched me get abandoned. Do you know how comforting it would have been to know my brother had feelings like I did? I used to think there was something wrong with me. My father said I had a demon in me, for crying out loud. If my brother's felt similarly all these years and stayed silent? I'll be mad," admitted Obediah, his fists absently clenching at his sides-- until he was calmed by Pat's affection, at least, returning it with a quick peck on his cheek. "...Just don't be too forward with him, he's bashful like that, and you can be pretty confident, August. I've seen countless men reduced to blushing messes because of you. My brother means a lot to me. Just be respectful, I suppose."

"So you're seriously this mad for Obediah's brother?" He confirmed, his disbelief only growing as he eased back on his hands, his eyes scanning August cautiously. "I've seen how many men you've picked through over the years, why is this man so specially suddenly? You know fully well that you could snap your fingers and have a human wrapped around you easily so why him?" Padraig urged, only to sigh and push to his feet again.

"I don't doubt you often, you know that. Just... be careful. Forrest isn't just some cute man walking the streets of London, hm? He isn't as disposable as others, especially since he has a wife and all of that. It'll be a challenge but if Obediah is willing to stay for a bit longer, who am I to interfere?" He reluctantly decided as he peered out the window, a small grimace on his lips.

"The benefit of this land is that I'm sure there are plenty of animals that won't be missed. The downside is that there are very few humans that we could feed on. I know it isn't what you truly need but I do think that it'll be enough to keep you trudging along, Obediah. We can't ruin August's fun, after all."

"Honestly, why is it so difficult for you to believe that I'm capable of love at first sight? Just because you didn't experience it yourself doesn't mean it doesn't exist, Padraig. Maybe Forrest is destined to be at my side? He's certainly handsome enough to be worthy of being my companion. I'd never grow tired of seeing his face-- he's remarkably handsome for a human. Imagine how he'd be if he agreed to joining us? He might just be the most handsome man I've been with-- it'll happen, I know it will. I'm not deluded," he clarified quickly upon the dubious expressions he was met with, the fact his certainty and confidence was being ignored and cast aside so easily making him grimace in annoyance. He was used to the members of the Society accepting what he said without argument - to be doubted when he was so confident in both his abilities and Forrest's interest in him was offensive, to say the least.

"...Just be careful. I... I'd love him to come to the Society, actually. I'd love it even more if he was with someone like you; he needs that in his life. His wife is an awful bore, she's so... traditional. It's mind-numbing," critiqued Obediah, his eyes rolling as he laid back down in bed, hiding the grimace from the others. He was already well aware that love at first sight wasn't something Padraig had experienced with him, even if, on his end of things, he had fallen hopelessly in love with the taller man the moment he met him. To hear how gushing August was, how he believed he had met the person he was destined to be with, was upsetting - he was happy August had that instant connection with Forrest, but he wished he had had someone feel that way about him too. He was confident that Padraig loved him now - but the fact that love wasn't instantaneous did upset him, and always had.

"I don't want to feed from animals," he murmured from beneath the covers, glancing up enough to glare over at the two childishly. "I've fed from humans; it'd be a downgrade, right? It wouldn't taste as good."

"You're right, it's nowhere near as delicious as human blood but we aren't really in a position to just go and sneak a servant in for a taste, are we?" Countered Pat as he glanced over at his boyfriend, his brows raised as he frowned. To see the other as sickly as he did was disturbing to him, especially since he had seen Obediah as a healthy human for years now. "That being said, I promise you can have some delicious human blood when we return to London proper. That's just another reason I want to head home quicker." He whined teasingly.

"As for you, August, you're lucky it's supposed to be cloudy. I'm sure it'll be less than subtle of you refuse to speak to Forrest in the day. You'll have to get him alone, away from that pig of a wife if you want to even attempt to lure him in. You must get rid of the things holding him back, after all, and I wouldn't mind her being off this planet if she was a proper hog towards my Obediah."

"I've lured away men from their wives before; I know what I'm doing. Honestly, Pat, you and I are going to fall out soon if you proceed to doubt me. I respect the advice, but I hardly need it. Forrest is... well, he's evidently interested in me and he's already admitted that he never asked to be married. He hardly sounds like a man who'd shun the chance of being with someone he'd be happy with when the opportunity to be with me presents itself. It just takes patience. Normally I wouldn't be so patient, but this is Obediah's brother; I'm going to be respectful and do this the right way," he declared easily as he removed his ruby earring and placed it into his pocket, starting to remove the many rings on his fingers too. He was determined to stick to his word for Obediah's sake; to be respectful and gentle with his older brother, but he was doing it for his own reasons too. He genuinely felt lie he was meant to be with Forrest, if only for a brief time. Proceeding softly and gently was the best way forward, even if it took a little longer than he normally liked.

"That wife of his is a barrier, but I'm not too concerned. I'd kill her tonight if I could, trust me. I'd kill anyone that was rude to one of our family, but it'd just upset his brother more, Pat. But I'm sure she won't be too much of a problem - she's hardly comparable to me. It's really no contest who Forrest will end up choosing. I'm confident it'll be me, put it that way," he drawled, standing back up when he knew he had probably overstayed his welcome a few seconds too long. He knew Obediah liked to talk to him, but he wisely figured that he would perhaps prefer to be alone with Pat at the moment. "...I'll be off. You two clearly don't want me staying put. Just be quiet, alright? I'd hate to have to kill the entire household if they discover you both having fun, hm? People outside out Society are so judgemental. It's best to be quiet and keep them in the dark."

"Oi, relax! We've been mates for nearly a century, one man shouldn't tear us apart. If it does, I think that speaks volumes to how much you care for him," reassured Padraig with a classic grin and, if it weren't for his eyepatch, he'd offer a wink. Glancing back over to Obediah, he couldn't deny the hunger in his eyes he had for the man but he wouldn't outright say that he wanted August gone so he could make love to his boyfriend, that would be rude.

"Look, you go contemplate your plan. Just because I'm wary doesn't mean I don't support you, August. I want you to be happy and if that happiness comes from you having Forrest wrapped around your ringed fingers, I'm not to stop you. As for our voices, I can't promise anything. You know how loud Obediah can be when I push the right buttons," he purred teasingly with raised brows. "We'll be good boys. Just relax."

"...I know. It's during those times that I regret welcoming him into the Society. It was lovely and peaceful before you two lovebugs got together. Sure, there were humans screaming for their lives, but I like hearing that. You two making love? Not so fond of hearing that," he sighed in the characteristically dramatic manner he was infamous for, the only indication that he was teasing about Obediah being the dry smirk on his lips. He got the message soon enough that he needed to leave, rolling his eyes once more at the sexual tension before drifting out to his own bedroom for the night.

Almost as soon as he had left had Obediah quietly snaked his arms around his boyfriend from behind, his head rested contentedly on his shoulder with a quick kiss or two on his neck.

"...I'm happy just snuggling with you tonight. It is an awful risk to... go further, Pat. My brother clearly knows about us but I don't think he'd be comfortable overhearing how much I adore you-- I don't think anyone in this house wants to hear that. Besides, I'm too sick to do that, I think. I... vomited far too much blood this morning, it wasn't pleasant. Looked like a murder scene in here--" He began with a hoarse laugh, stopping abruptly when he realised that, in fact, the room was a murder scene. The guilt was playing on his mind, especially now the bodies had been uncovered. Naively, he thought not mentioning it would help him forget he had done that to some innocent people.

But withholding information from the person he loved was far from possible, too.

"...I did something bad- I hurt some maids here, and-- and I feel terrible. I was just-- my throat was burning, you know? I didn't know what to do, you weren't here and I wasn't sure-- how to-- stop the burning, I guess."

Taking Obediah's hand to offer it a gentle kiss, his smile only growing when the door closed. Carefully turning to face his boyfriend, the tall and intimidating vampire easily melted at the sight of Obediah's anxiety. Cupping his cheek, he offered him a kiss, his eyes trailing to the window, a soft sigh escaping his lips.

"It's okay, Obediah. You were messy but you did phenomenally, especially since I wasn't there to help you. Just... tell me when you're feeling bad, okay? I can help you. Hell, I've been a vampire far longer than August, not to brag. I know you disagree but I really do recommend you feed from animals. You're cute when you whimper but I'm serious."