The Sangruis Society

"I most likely forgot how fragile she can be? Are... you serious?" He questioned suddenly, his words quick and sharp despite how slowly and carefully he placed the teacup back on its saucer. His mother had always been his best friend when he was younger and, though the woman wouldn't admit it, Obediah had probably been the child she was the closest to. He had spent almost every spare moment either being around his mother, or talking about her, fretting out about how sickly she was - a sickness that had only worsened after his birth. The very idea that he would somehow forget about the woman's near-constant malady wasn't just incorrect; it was downright disrespectful.

At the words, both of Obediah's hands clenched into fists, the skin over his knuckles tight. His haw clenched too, his teeth grinding together in the attempt to keep his anger in check. He was never an angry person but he was aware how temperamental he would be in the early days of the change. Unfortunately, being around his family was testing that anger constantly. The fact he managed to control himself was a miracle, and he made a mental note to tell his boyfriend just how well he had done in restraining himself.

"...I'm quite happy and willing to miss the funeral entirely, Forrest. I wouldn't regret it and I don't remotely care if the villagers gossip about me missing my father's own funeral. I'd rather spend time with my mother - who I know is sick, by the way. As if I'd forget that," he grimaced, his tone growing quieter as the confidence, inevitably, ebbed away, his eyes locking down onto the plate of food. He only dared to glance up again when hearing his mother's chesty cough and her shuffled, careful footsteps, his dark eyes suddenly wide in nervous panic. He wanted nothing more than to see her, but if his brother and his sisters reacted so weirdly to his altered appearance, he had no idea how his mother would feel about it - he didn't want her to worry about him, that particular fear only making him anxious the closer he heard his mother come.

"The least you could do is attend. It's the whole reason you're here, technically, isn't it?" Forrest reminded firmly, immediately searching his brain for the confidence against his brother. He too grew quiet when the footstep could be heard, his anxiety peaking as he quickly got to his feet, his lips pursed as he met his mother at the base of the stairs. "You shouldn't be out of bed, mother-"

"I am not a child, you needn't attend to my every waking will, Forrest," the woman scolded softly, though her voice still could be heard in the anxious silence. With a cane in one hand and the other now holding onto Forrest, her sour frown only lightened at the sight of her son. She quickened her pace to meet up with Obediah, her arms stretched out expectantly.

"Oh, how you've grown!" She gushed, her eyes stained with tears. "I-I am so sorry, Obediah. I wish I could have seen you myself, you have grown into a handsome man. You look just like your father did when he was your age," she noted, a smile on her cracked lips.

It was probably for the best that his mother hadn't rushed into him - he was well aware that that sort of contact would only end up hurting her. He had seen a human break their hand just by nudging Padraig out of their way on a crowded street. If Obediah's mother had flung herself into her youngest son's chest for a hug, there was every chance that contact would have broken her nose or, worse, seriously injured her given her already preexisting fragility.

Obediah had several seconds to think about his next course of action. His instant reaction was to stand up from his chair, at such a speed that he had to grab the chair to stop it clattering to the ground. He wanted nothing more than to hug his mother, even after her comparing him to his late father, but he feared getting too close to her. He could already hear her heartbeat and felt his throat burn at the idea of her blood - he didn't want those feelings intensified when he got close to her and, subsequently, her neck.

It was impossible to just leave her standing teary-eyed in front of him without reacting, however. It took every ounce of strength he had to lean down a little and hug her, biting hard on his lip in the effort to control himself. He would have commented on how small and fragile she felt in his arms, but that would only bring attention to how tall and strong he had become in comparison - and he didn't want his mother spending too much time dwelling on just how drastically different her son looked.

"...I wanted to come back, Mama. It was just... impossible. It's been difficult being away from you but-- London's fantastic. I really enjoy my life there. You don't need to worry when I leave again; I promise that I'm safe and happy in the city. I've... well, I'm currently a little... under the weather, hence the shivering and coldness, but it-- it's not contagious, I promise. I would never let you hug me if I was carrying something that would hurt you, Mama. You're my favourite person in the world~"

"So it's true that you're going to leave, then?" She whispered into her son's chest, her smile fading at the idea. "I suppose I don't blame you, Obediah. This house is full of horrible memories for you. It was foolish of me to assume you would want to return to us permanently. I thought that perhaps now that your father was gone, we could be a proper family again. After losing a husband, I was hoping to gain a son. It was foolish of me to think that," she continued quietly before offering a sad smile.

"Nevertheless, we ought to enjoy the time we have together, right?" Offered Forrest from the side, his eyes nervously taking in the clock. He wanted everything to go perfectly, feeling that somehow his father was still watching them and just the idea alone terrified him. "I know you may not agree but I do think you should join us, brother. Father wouldn't have wanted you to and I know you have quite a bit of spite for the man."

Reactions: potassiumboron
"...Maybe I can visit often, Mama. I just-- I have people in London who... I have a life with now. Maybe I can rearrange some thing so I can visit every week, for dinner on Sundays. It'll be a proper family again," he nodded as firmly and as confidently as he could, just to look convincing. In reality, he knew there was very little chance of him returning on a frequent basis. His family would only realise, eventually, just how abnormal he was. The more time went on, they would start to inevitably notice the oddities - and he would rather his family think he was normal in London than realise he was a vampire if he did visit them constantly. As hard as it was, staying away from his family after the one-off visit was the wisest thing to do, especially when it would ensure their safety.

Fortunately, any discussions on the topic were left for another hour, his attention turning to the impending funeral. The last thing he wanted was to head outside when the sun could break through the clouds at any moment, and he especially didn't want to risk it all for a man he hated, but he couldn't argue with his brother again. He felt bad enough unnerving him like he had, even if that was out of his hands. If he had to risk being burned just to keep Forrest happy and show him that he was trying, then he would.

Before he could answer and admit, reluctantly, that he would attend the funeral procession, Isabelle made her first appearance since Obediah's return home. She had been fast asleep when he first came, despite wanting to meet him again after years apart. Once she saw him standing at the other end of the table, her first reaction was to stare in shock. She remembered Obediah as some awkward, lanky teenage boy who, whilst he was far from plain looking, didn't have any real remarkable qualities that made her remember his features too much. Only now, she couldn't take her eyes from him, her mouth parted a little as the surprise failed to settle in - it was ridiculously difficult for her to comprehend that the Obediah she once knew was now, as she guiltily acknowledged to herself, astonishingly beautiful. She brought herself out of her thoughts soon enough, smiling bashfully and offering a kiss to her husband's cheek, clinging onto his arm in the typical lovey-dovey manner the family had come to expect from her.

"Your brother's looking well, Forrest. I thought you said he was sick last night?" She questioned curiously, her eyes -inevitably- straying back across to the youngest in the room. She was thankful that her cheeks usually held a rosy tone to them - it masked the fact she was blushing considerably at the outline of Obediah's muscles underneath his snug shirt. "He looks to be in a remarkable condition, I think. A little pale, shivery, but... well, it's almost Winter. I think being shivery is to be expected, hm?"

Forrest was no idiot, he could tell that his wife's eyes were straying. While he kept up appearances for everyone - including his wife - he would be lying if he said his own eyes had strayed to some of the cuter staff around so he really shouldn't have been as upset as he was as he watched Isabelle. Biting his lip, he moved to rub his wife's side before leading her to the dining room table.

"Yes, well, it's wonderful and all but let's not focus on my brother's state. What is important is the funeral." He reminded quietly, a slow grimace on his lips. "Eat up, Isabelle, Obediah and I will get ready, yes? We want to look nice and proper. I know this might not matter to many of you but... but it matters to me," he murmured, his hands fiddling with one another.

Obediah wasn't as oblivious to the unsubtle stares as he made out to be, choosing to (wisely) ignore the woman's sudden attraction to him. He had to already deal with maids gossiping about him in whispers; dealing with Isabelle's glances was far from difficult in comparison. It didn't worry him too much, knowing that he'd be gone from the house before she would ever have the confidence to even be alone in a room with him, and when he did leave, her marriage to his brother would continue as it normally did, without him present to cause a distraction to that.

What did worry him was the discovery of the two maids he had, perhaps naively, left in a barely covered ditch not too far from the house. He had been stood at his father's grave when the discovery had been made, the funeral procession finishing just as a young man from the village cried out in horror when stumbling over the dumped bodies. What proceeded was understandable panic, though Obediah failed to even allow himself to relax even when the general consensus was that an animal had killed the women - the bite marks on their necks and wrists were too animalistic to be a result of anything else. Even though he would hardly be a culprit anyway, Obediah still found himself panicking that someone might randomly accuse him. Vampires weren't deemed real creatures, only confined to the pages of fiction by many, but Obediah was a worrier - he couldn't help but panic that somebody might put everything together and realise he had been the true perpetrator.

It wasn't too great that the only thing that would make him feel better was blood. With the house and its occupants now concerned that a beast was roaming about outside, thereby intent on knowing where one another was at all times to avoid another murder, the chance to feed again was ridiculously slim. To avoid hurting anyone and revealing himself, he chose to lock himself in his room, where his family seemed to assume he was either grieving his father or simply in shock at the brutal deaths. After all, Obediah had always been a gentle, sensitive boy - the sight of two bodies, they believed, had shaken him up enough for him to retire to his room before the sun had even set.

Though his hearing was now impeccable, he failed to hear the knocks at the front door and the familiar voices of both his boyfriend and August. He wouldn't have even thought it possible that the two would make the long journey to his family's country home in the effort to retrieve him, thinking they had more important things to worry about it. Evidently, he was wrong.

August hadn't wasted any time when making the discovery that the newest vampire had, stupidly, left the safety of the Society. He had a soft spot for Obediah, one he wasn't afraid of showing off, so didn't think twice about getting on a train to the country. He hadn't wanted Padraig to come with him, yet it was almost inevitable that his attempts at stopping him would go ignored.

And so now he stood outside the impressive property, adjusting his collar calmly with a critical glance up at the other vampire every now and then. "Whatever you do," he began in the strictest tone he could adopt, "don't storm in there and attack these people. As much as I dislike them for everything they've done to Obediah, he still clearly cares for them. It's best we keep personal feelings to ourselves, Pat. Leave the talking to me, too. I can't have you growling at these poor people and scaring them out of their skin, hm? It's cute, really, how protective of Obediah you are-- but let's not torment these humans just yet."

"The fact that you're treating me like a savage is honestly heartbreaking, August. These aren't just some commoners who decided to cause us problems; these people are high society," Padraig sneered in response, scoffing under his breath as he, too, adjusted himself while neatly fixing his golden cuff links - those of which he stole decades ago. He preferred a more calm and relaxed appearance but that didn't mean he couldn't clean up, hence wearing the proper layers. It felt strange to be constrained under so many clothes but he was willing to change himself for his boyfriend if it meant he could just grab Obediah and leave as soon as possible.

Taking a step further, he knocked harder onto the large door impatiently. He wanted nothing more than to get inside and speed up the process, the fact that he would be face-to-face with the people he had been told were cruel to his boyfriend. He was ready to break down the door until Forrest himself opened it, dressed in his sleepwear.

"... oh, uh... hello?" The human greeted, his eyes red. He hated crying in front of anyone outside of Isabelle and even then did he get uncomfortable, and while he hadn't expected it he found himself becoming genuinely emotional at the funeral. The man may have been physically and emotionally abusive, he still made him into who he was. It was a mixture of loss and happiness and at this point he wanted nothing more than to get proper rest. "I believe you are at the wrong residence-"

Before Forrest could finish, Padraig pushed into the home with little care. He wasn't a huge fan of people who hurt his boyfriend after all and really didn't want to spare any feelings. Narrowing his eyes at the sight of the front foyer, he shot a glance at August.

"We won't be long," Padraig reassured flatly. "We're here to bring our colleague back to London. I'm sure you aren't as dull as you look and can realize that Obediah is ill so we've come to take him home. This was all for a funeral, right? Well, that all should be over and there's no real reason for him to stay any longer."

August bit back the urge to grin at Padraig's behaviour. He found it more than amusing to see him barge past in the manner he did, especially when he couldn't imagine just how frightening and bewildering it would be to Forrest to open the door and immediately be brushed aside by a stranger who was, physically, extremely intimidating. He forced the enjoyment back and calmly crossed the threshold, his fingers absently playing with the one earring - it was a signature of his, to wear just the one earring, and it was at least a talking point when he attended functions at night, if only because the idea of a man in such a high position in society wearing feminine jewellery was completely shocking to many.

Once inside, his eyes trailed from the beautiful interior to Forrest, his smile widening a little when deciding that the human was cute. He felt a slight annoyance that Obediah had failed to mention just how handsome his brother was, but he also knew that it would hardly be the first thing Obediah would mention, especially when August was never supposed to be at the house, meeting him in person. Now he was here, however, he could examine him for himself, tapping his chin thoughtfully as he spent several long seconds simply eyeing the man up.

"...You must be Forrest Crownfield. Obediah has mentioned you; speaks very highly of you, in fact. I would love to spend time getting to know the brother he gushes about but, alas, we must really be off. Obediah is in no fit state to be here; he's better off in our care," he began as charmingly as he could, whilst keeping a close eye on Pat to ensure the other vampire didn't lose his temper and storm through the home looking for Obediah himself. "We've taken care of him for the past four years. I'd quite like to take him home and care for him where he's most comfortable-- Goodness, I haven't introduced myself. My name's August; this is my companion, Padraig. We... apologise for the untimeliness of our visit; we'll be out of your hair as soon as we have Obediah in our company."

"Leaving so soon? I... I haven't seen Obediah in years, I was at least hoping for him to stay another night," Forrest admitted with a growing frown, offering the obligatory yet brief bow. "I was intending to call the family medic in the morning to camel sure everything was alright but he seems to have gotten better after some rest. You... shouldn't worry about him," he continued, his eyes scanning the vampire in confusion at the sudden scene.

"You must have traveled far to come here at such an hour, why not stay for the night? I know you London folk like to live more wildly but I don't see why a nice night's sleep would be the least I could offer you for caring so much about my brother...?" He offered, a soft heat rising to his cheeks for a reason he couldn't quite place. It might have been the fact that he was overwhelmed by both Padraig and August's energy and appearance, or maybe it was just from being emotionally drained... either way, he hadn't really expected to see August and Padraig as the people his notoriously shy brother would hang out with.

"Yes, that's all fine and good but where is Obediah?" Pat pressed, his arms folding impatiently as he locked eyes with the staircase. He knew just where the newly turned vampire was, having sensed him the minute he stepped foot, but it would hardly be subtle if him to storm up the stairs and make sure his boyfriend was alright.

"...I'd rather leave it down to Obediah, I think. If he decides he'd like to stay another night, then yes, we'd be happy to accept the invitation. If, in fact, he prefers to get back to the Society, then I'll have to decline. Obediah is rather important to the Society, you see. I have a soft spot for your brother; I can't really run the Society without him at my side," the vampire smiled with a genuine nod - the fact the Society was in such disarray after just a day without Obediah being around spoke volumes, not just for the boy's importance as a member but also for how well-liked he was among the other members there.

Obediah didn't take too long to make an appearance, unable to remain oblivious to the two's arrival. He may have hidden himself away in the priest's hole behind the bookcase in his room, as though hiding there would save his family from being hurt by him, but he couldn't remain there when he knew that August was downstairs, as well as Padraig who he had missed more than he thought he would. It had been hours since he last few which, while that wouldn't impact a vampire too much, it was horrific for a new vampire to deal with. Without a steady supply, the sickness would only return - and being forced to eat human food by his worried mother hadn't helped his condition much. Paler than ever and unable to walk without shivering every few seconds, he appeared at the top of the stairs curiously, in fear that he had simply been imagining the voices of the others. When, in fact, he saw August looking worriedly up at him, he let a relieved smile break on his face. He was scared that they were furious with him, but the joy at seeing them overshadowed any potential fear, easily.

Despite knowing his brother was present, he wasn't really able to pretend that Padraig was just a friend of his. He managed to hold back from kissing him, but he wasn't able to stop himself rushing down the stairs and straight into the man's arms, clinging onto him for several seconds until, finally, he tore himself away with a weak grin.

"...You didn't need to come here, Pat. Or August. I... was going to come home, I said so in my letter-- I... I'm coping fine, I know how to handle this. You didn't need to come rescue me like I'm a-a child."

"You might as well be a child in your state, Obediah. You shouldn't have ran off like you did!" Scolded Pat after pulling the other close, having to do everything in his power to stop himself from happily lifting Obediah in his arms. Padraig's love for the new vampire could be seen as cheesy and he has heard the other members voice how bitter they were by just how much he insisted Obediah be by his side. Now with his boyfriend being a brand new vampire, that need for the other to keep close had only grown stronger as he knelt down a bit, taking in his lover's face as he carefully held his cheeks.

"You look horrible. You knew this was a bad idea, why couldn't you have just asked us first?" He quickly whispered, sighing deeply once assessing the damage. Stepping back a tad, he pinched his nose in frustration - completely indifferent to Forrest's shocked expression.

Forrest knew about his brother and he had accepted it but to see just how casual Padraig was with showing affection for another man in the open. Having to close his mouth, he cleared his throat to at least break Pat from his worry.

"Well, I... cant force my brother to stay, no. If he wants to stay, we're happy to welcome you two to stay..." Forrest decided, though he would be lying if he said a part of it wasn't motivated by fear. The sight of just how loving and gentle Pat could be didn't overlook his intimidating height alone.

Obediah might have been unable to stop himself showing a little affection, but he wasn't unaware of the discomfort it brought his brother, glancing cautiously over at him and growing uncomfortable himself at Forrest's shocked expression. It was a good thing his brother was accepting butt he shock still caused Obediah to grimace nonetheless. It was why he knew going back to the Society would be the best thing for him. Not only would he be able to feed properly and not hurt his family, but he could be cared and looked after by his boyfriend who he could then show proper affection to without worrying about backlash and judgement. He was accepted there and he needed that right now - he didn't need to deal with his brother watching on and wondering how disgusted he might be beneath the surface.

August, similarly, noticed the older brother's expression, his head tilted to the side as he examined him quietly from his position at the foot of the stairs. He didn't really want either Pat or Obediah to hide their love for one another, which he could clearly see was already happening from the latter's refusal to give a few kisses or spend too much time in his boyfriend's arms. That infuriated August, naturally, though he let his anger ebb away when he came to the conclusion that arguing about it was a waste of breath.

"Well, I'd like to stay the night, actually. I think we should head back tomorrow, Obediah. You need to rest. Besides, we won't make it back to London before daylight," he drawled openly, having no qualms about being so honest. The comment might sound a little odd but he doubted Forrest would immediately assume they were vampires because of it. "...So yes, we'll stay. I do hope you'll grow a little less fearful of us, though. Your fear is very noticeable, I'm afraid. Padraig is... just protective of Obediah-- as am I, I suppose. But I assure you, we aren't a danger to you. We're gentlemen."

Forrest's cheeks were already pink to begin with but being called out by August only made his face grow completely beetroot, especially when he was being called out for something he didn't even know he was doing. Looking away, the head of the estate cleared his throat and glanced up at the staircase to avoid the look of the strange men.

"I will have you know that I am not afraid of you, this is all just... very overstimulating," he defended quickly, doing his best attempt at seeming stone faced. "I hadn't realized that my brother had such a close relationship with someone, is all. I don't really know what this whole, cryptic 'society' is but if it makes my brother happy, w-who am I to judge?" He meekly suggested, his lips pursed as he adjusted his weight.

"Right, well. Let me show you to your rooms, then. The staff goes home at this time of night so I'm not the best welcoming crew but... anyway." Forrest babbled quietly, his neck growing hot when he realized that both men were staring at his back.

"I hope you don't mind me sharing a bed with your brother, do you?" Padraig drawled with a roll of his eyes before following suit, though kept close to make sure Obediah wouldn't suddenly collapse from just how weak he was. He then turned his attention to his boyfriend, offering an encouraging smile. "I'll get you something to help later, okay?" He murmured once leaning down to meet his ear.

While August wasn't too fond of making someone Obediah evidently cared about uncomfortable, he also wouldn't pretend that he wasn't thoroughly enjoying the man's discomfort. On one level, it was enjoyable because, really, the two men ought to be able to express how much they cared for one another without judgement for it - sure, Padraig's comments were hardly subtle and were instead completely full on, but sometimes that was the best way to be. On another level, however, he found the discomfort and awkwardness more adorable than anything else. The blush and the general increase in the human's heart rate was enjoyable for the vampire, his smile only widening when he took into account just how flustered Forrest was becoming. He had no doubt, in that moment, that he would have fun getting to know him - if only because Forrest intrigued him and he could almost sense that a little time spent with him would uncover whatever he was holding back.

"...He's already fed, it's obvious. Not enough, of course. Though the fact you fed is a good thing, Obediah. I can't imagine you were subtle but we can teach you how to cover your tracks efficiently," he murmured beneath his breath once taking into account Pat's words, breaking his gaze from the human to offer a little praise across to Obediah. The new vampire was clearly a mess at the moment, physically and emotionally, so a little praise from someone he looked up to ought to do him the world of good.

It obviously did, of course, Obediah's smile widening the more the two spoke to him and offered their help. Any worry that they were furious with him had since disappeared - though he did wish that Pat would be a tad more subtle. Sure, he enjoyed the fact his boyfriend loved him enough to be open... but the others of the family weren't as accepting as Forrest was. Hell, he wasn't even sure his mother understood that he was gay; that his fling with the butler had been much more than some one-off experimentation occurrence.

"I didn't do a good job; everyone thinks there's an animal attacking people around here," he whispered with an shrug, to try and seem more relaxed about it than he was. "--It's just... more difficult than I thought it would be, Pat-- it gets better, right? Because I... I c-can't cope with it like it is right now; it's horrible.

"Of course it gets better. If it didn't, how the hell would I be as suave and subtle as I am?" Pat purred in an attempt to calm the other's nerves, daring to take Obediah's hand - if only for a moment - to offer a comforting squeeze. Shooting a glance over at Forrest to make sure he wasn't listening, he too could feel just how hard the human's heart was racing and how anxious he was becoming. Forcing back a smirk, he even dared to offer a kiss to his boyfriend's forehead. "Listen, I'll make sure it'll get easier for you. We could always get in contact with my crew again and I could show you how I learned to control myself. I would love to be back on the seas again and I'm sure they would accept you with open arms. Not to offend the Society but those men and women were some of the most lovely people I knew," he urged eagerly. He had tried to plant little ideas of adventure in Obediah's head for years now, after all.

Meanwhile, Forrest was far too oblivious. He had used all of his people skills on the funeral and his anxiety had only begun to wear off up until the two vampires arrived. Now it was clear that his anxiety was nearly nauseating, his heart pounding in his ears as he fiddled with the knob to one of the spare bedrooms.

"Here, you can sleep here tonight," he murmured to August, motioning to the equally elegant room as many of the others, the difference being it lacked any real personality. "As for your friend - what is your name?"

"Padraig. Because you're Obediah's brother and are treating us well enough, you can call me Pat." The former pirate responded, his uncovered eye raising.

"Yes, well. I'm sure our mother would be suspicious if she woke to you together in the same bedroom. That being said, you're an adult now, Obediah. You can handle her response, can't you?"

"I think you're forgetting that mother was the only person who stood up for me when I got thrown from the house four years ago. She knew that I had been intimate with... a man, and she still defended me. I'm sure it might be a little... shocking to her if she did walk in here in the morning, but I'm also certain she'd accept it. She wants me to be happy, Forrest. I'm certain that it'll be absolutely fine," he nodded in response as he took a few additional steps down the corridor towards his own room, daring to grab his boyfriend's hand to pull him behind him. Forrest, as much as he loved him, was only proceeding to irk and irritate him lately - and he didn't need to feel angry when he was as bloodthirsty as he was: it would only end dreadfully when he did something he regretted.

August quietly watched the two head off, adjusting the rings on his fingers absently. He did have a habit of staring into space when his mind was overrun with thoughts, though he broke out of it relatively quickly when the silence became too noticeable to ignore a second longer. With a firm nod, he set down his coat on the bed and removed his fancy shoes - though he had no intention of actually going to bed, not yet at least.

"How about you and I have a whiskey by that grand fireplace I saw downstairs? You're clearly not going to get to sleep anytime soon, not when you're this anxious. I am positively dying for a drink and-- well, I'm somewhat of an insomniac; I barely sleep. I'm also confident enough to admit that you intrigue me and-- I'm not often intrigued by people, Forrest. I'd like to talk to you, if you'd like. I can inform you of the Society; assure you that your brother is in good, safe hands. He has Padraig; I'm sure you're aware that he'd never let any harm come to your brother. He's capable of protecting him."

Once his brother was out of earshot, he couldn't help but let out a deep groan while rubbing his face, his eyes only beginning to well up again from the stress. He knew he shouldn't have been as anxious as he was but he knew his attempt at keeping order in the house was falling apart very quickly. He just buried the man that had pounded the 'perfect household' ideal into him which was stressful enough, and the fear of losing his brother after just having him only made him panic more. Although he gave August a wary glance, he couldn't help but exhale hard before wiping his eyes.

"Yes, you're right. I... don't imagine I'll be getting any sleep, you're right. Just - I apologize for being a horrendous host," he began, his voice barely above a whisper as he walked from the spare bedroom, his hands still resting on his flushed cheeks as he walked down the halls, the moonlight being the main lighting, most of the lamps having burned out hours ago. His eyes had adjusted well, though. Leading the other to his father's personal library, he pulled proper glasses from the small cabinet on one of the many shelves, the whiskey sitting beside it (amongst other hard alcohols his father often enjoyed). Taking in the library, he poured them each a glass before taking a seat on one of the three lavish chairs that circled the room - that of which he offered used with friends.

"...You're too hard on yourself, you know. It might not be my place, I just met you after all, but you really ought to realise that you'll do a wonderful job as head of the household. Obediah has said a lot of wonderful things about you. Now, I came here expecting to hate you, I'll be honest. He said what had happened to him and Pat and I were hardly... eager to meet you and your family. However, I find it very difficult to dislike you. You're rather charming, I think. So please, stop worrying so much. You aren't a horrid host; far from it," began August as he calmly took his seat, sipping at the whiskey. It would make him a little nauseous, though he knew it wouldn't be anything he couldn't handle - alcohol didn't cause him sickness like good did. While alcohol also had no effect on him, it was at least helpful to him in situations like this; he doubted that Forrest would sit down and talk to him without a drink.

"Obediah's illness isn't too serious, he'll be as right as rain soon. The Society is on hand to help him; we've helped him adjust to London, we'll help him through his sickness too. It really isn't a bad place for him to be. It's just a club, really; a family of sorts, I like to call it. I'd be happy to invite you along if you weren't a married man and head of an estate like this. You have other priorities, sadly. I'd absolutely adore to invite you along, to show you around London. Alas, I appreciate the responsibilities you have here," he sighed dramatically, resting his chin in his hand as he, once again, turned all his attention on the human to inspect him for several seconds.

"...Mm, it is a shame you can't come back with us. You'd fit in oh-so well with the Society; a handsome, rich man like you would slot right in. I've a soft spot for beautiful people like yourself, so it is rather depressing to have to leave you in the middle of nowhere like this, suffocated by this house-- our Society could do with another Crownfield. But I won't go on about it; I'm just embarrassing myself."

"Y-Your flattery is surprising. You didn't seem particularly urgent to speak with me, at least the energy you gave off gave me that impression," he admitted, his legs folding as he easily took a shot of the whiskey. He had a high tolerance, just another thing adopted from his father , though he wasn't much of a drinker in general hence the grimace from the sharp flavor. Pinching the bridge of his nose to try and center himself, he didn't even dare to look at August in fear of looking even more ridiculous.

He knew he had feelings for men but he never really dared to explore the idea of being with one, especially when no man had ever shown interest in return. He was only married to Isabelle because he was told to do so and he knew he would fail miserably if he was put to actually flirt, hence the fact that he reacted so bashfully to August's words.

"No, I mustn't. I have to take care of our mother, first and foremost. Before Obediah left, I was expecting him to take care of her. He has a caring personality, especially towards her. Now that our father's gone, I have to try and establish a future for our family. Sure, I would love to travel to London but it... just wouldn't be possible."