The Sangruis Society

"...But there aren't that many animals around. I know Isabella has a cat but... I like cats, I don't want to hurt one. I'd rather hurt Isabella, she's at least... deserving of being hurt by me. She's never liked me; not since she discovered I was interested in men. Of course, that's up until today; she made it very obvious that her feelings towards me had changed. Had my brother not been present, I'm sure she would have tried to... flirt with me. It was horrible, Pat. I don't need that; you and August like humans gushing over you. I could do without it, I'm not... a people person, I can't handle attention very well," he mumbled into his hand, his coping mechanism with his hunger being to physically bite down into his closed fist. The taste of his own blood hardly helped fulfil him, and the pain wasn't the greatest to deal with, but it was better than storming out and hurting his brother or mother, and exposing himself as a vampire in the process.

"I'll find a rat or... maybe the cat will have to do," he relented tiredly, flopping back down onto the mattress as he watched the wound heal, still utterly fascinated by how quickly and seamlessly it did so. He wasn't a stranger to the benefits of vampirism, having been living with a group of them for years, but it still amazed him - especially now he was one. "...You can meet my mother tomorrow, if you'd like. I... might even introduce you as my partner; I'm sure she's... more accepting than I give her credit for."

“Do you not see the woods out there? Don’t you know how many animals probably roam the land out there?” He reminded, pointing to the edge of the property with raised brows before moving to wrap himself around his loved protectively, offering a soft kiss to Obediah’s neck affectionately.

“If you promise to stay put and don’t cause any problems, I’ll get you something to help with the hunger. How does that sound?” He offered to the other’s ear before he slowly pushed off from the bed with a loud groan. “I hate seeing you like this but I also know you aren’t capable of being trusted. We’re on thin ice as it is, I wouldn’t want us to be found out over something I could have helped you with. So, just... stay here. All I need is a glass to put it in and you’ll have blood in no time.”

"What do you mean I'm 'not capable of being trusted'? I... I could have killed my entire family, and I managed to restrain myself. I can be trusted, Pat. It's not nice to have you doubt me-- I don't need you to go anywhere, I'm fine. Just get back in bed," he frowned, sitting up at the other's movement and, clearly annoyed by the other's decision, folded his arms across his chest to appear as stern as he could. Despite his generally soft and timid personality, he could at least appear stern and strong if he wanted to - he did look like his father (as much as he didn't want to) and the man was notorious for his strictness. The appearance of that was the only thing Obediah had really inherited from his father - he certainly didn't exhibit his cruelty or ruthlessness.

"Really, I can wait until morning. It's best to wait until then. The dogs will hear you and bark and that'll just be a nightmare," he continued, patting the space beside him as temptingly as he could manage. "I'll be fine. We can just lay in bed and talk and-- if it gets worse, we'll go then."

“I’m just concerned, is all,” he insisted with a deep frown, though it was no surprise that Padraig would obediently take a seat, to his reluctance. Leaning back on his palms, he locked eyes with the ceiling while his frown held, doing something that was uncommon of him - thinking before he spoke.

“This was horrible timing and it’s hardly fair for us to have to stay any longer than necessary. You’ll be triggered to do something you’ll regret and I just don’t want to be here in general. All because August wants to shag your brother? It’s ridiculous. He owes us, he does. I could be home with you, enjoying the blood of some poor virgin with my arms wrapped up all right but no. Instead we’re forced to stay with your family who seems pretty unbearable, and I have to watch the staff get all flustered at the sight of you. It’s not very nice.”

"...I never tire of your slang terms, I find it adorable. It completely flusters me when you're so uncouth, of course, but it's more enjoyable than anything else. Especially underneath this roof. My father would have a heart attack if he had ever heard you speak like that in his home. He's probably turning in his grave right now," he determined with a dramatic and exaggerated sigh, turning to lay on his side with a hand absently playing in the other's hair, his smile only growing when he realised just how angry his father would be if he could see him. Hell, all four of his sisters would be furious, and the fact any one of them could wander into the room right now made him grin more than it frightened him.

He had no reason to really fear what they thought or said, not now he had both Pat at his side as well as August. Having them both around did wonders for his confidence and self-esteem issues, so what would have usually terrified and panicked him now didn't bother him, at least not to the same extent.

"As for August, you should leave him be. We'll be home soon enough-- and if I get to go home to London with my brother, it's worth waiting a little extra time for. I'd love nothing more than for him to join us. August's fascination with him is... surprising, but if it works out, nothing would make me happier," the new vampire continued, absently examining the nails on one hand, the crusted blood beneath the fingernails making him grimace, whist also increasing just how peckish he was. "So it's worthwhile being patient, Pat. August deserves happiness-- as does my brother if he's unhappy here."

“Oh, you enjoy it when I go against your ‘eloquent mannerisms’?” He drawled, his voice mocking Forrest’s in contrast to his own more rugged Irish. Rolling his eyes, he couldn’t help but let a smile creep when his ego was stroked. Padraig was never one to look down on himself, admittedly having very high confidence, but that didn’t mean he didn’t like having a cute guy telling him he was the only one who made Obediah happy, in that sense.

“I wish I could have met this man. You make him seem like the devil himself, which I doubt. I’ve met my handful of horrible people in my very long life, Obediah, but none are as horrible as your father, apparently. I would love to see how he would stand up against me,” he purred, flexing his muscles teasingly as his classic grin finally returned, exposing his sharp fangs.

“I’ll treat your brother with as much respect as possible but that doesn’t mean I have to enjoy his presence. You two are nothing alike, hm? You’re so kind and cute, and your brother is so... stiff. Perhaps August can loosen him up?” He teased with a soft snort, his head shaking. “I feel bad for the poor lad.”

"My father had a sharp tongue. As strong as you are, Pat, he could have hurt you; he never needed muscles to do that. His words hurt me far more than the physical punishments he took pleasure in dealing out to me. Just be glad he's dead. The fact my brother even cried over him disgusts me-- he was stood out at that grave today, tears building up in his eyes and his voice all shaky and grief-stricken-- it was astounding, actually. So yes, as much as my brother means to me, I can't blame you for critiquing him. He's certainly not perfect," the youngest of the family continued, his attempts at defending his brother gradually becoming less passionate the more he took into account how badly his brother had let him down. Of course, he still wanted nothing more than to everything to work out so his brother could actually enjoy his life and not worry about the estate and the pressures that came with being head of the household... but he couldn't ignore the fact Forrest did a lot that irritated him.

"I don't feel that bad for him; he's always been stiff and strict, always so focused on appearance and reputation. Our father used to tell us that it mattered how we presented ourselves. We're Crownfields, apparently it's a big deal. It's why you don't hear about how scandalous our family can be - it's all swept under the carpet. I befriended the staff as a child so I'm well aware how salacious the family are. My sister's husband is cheating on her, for example. It's all rather juicy," he drawled as he drew his attention away from his nails back to his boyfriend, his smile only growing at seeing him so happy. "...Of course, my situation is probably the most scandalous, being involved in men and whatnot. My family attracts drama; I suppose it runs in the blood."

“Now I’m not tryin’ to be rude but I only knew about your family when you brought them up. I’m sure August knew about your family long before I did but you should know I’ve never been one to care about social status. Sure, I love to have diamond rings and luxurious furs but the status? Ridiculous. Perhaps that’s why you’re the Crownfield for me. Not to mention you’re far cuter,” he reminded before carefully taking Obediah’s cheek and offering it a playful pinch.

“I love having that air of mystery to me, though. I think it gives me more power than it should. Everyone sees me as this intimidating, elegant figure hiding in the shadows and I find it hilarious,” he admitted, his hand resting on his forehead. “To know that your father would hate me for more than just our scandalous relationship makes me beyond happy. Unfortunately I missed out. If only we came a month earlier, huh?”

Reactions: potassiumboron
"What, you mean you've never heard of my family name before? I'm personally offended-- or I would be if I actually cared about any of this. My brother takes it all very seriously. I suppose if I'd been born first and forced to study it all I'd be serious about it too. Frankly I couldn't care less about my name and the history attached to it. It's not surprising you haven't got a clue, though. You've spent a good chunk of your life sailing the seas, hm? I can't imagine you kept up to date with aristocratic families in England," he pointed out with a fond smile, lowering his voice when he heard the faint grumbling of one of his sisters at the other end of the house. The likelihood of her overhearing was slim, practically impossible, but he instinctively began to whisper nonetheless.

"You are very mysterious, though. My sisters will adore you, I'm sure. Though I'm sure they'll be attached to you for your appearance alone. If you have to handle the maids gossiping about me, I'll have to handle watching my sisters fawn over you, and personally, I find that worse. It'll honestly be unbearable. Just don't go falling for any of them. They're all utterly infuriating and dull, but I'm sure they have their charms."

“Even if your sisters were the most beautiful women in England, I can assure you I wouldn’t bat an eye. I know this seems to be a surprising trait but I can appreciate someone for their personality. You’re a kind soul, Obediah, that’s why I love you as much as I do. Not to mention the things you’ve told me and how they reacted. It’s fucking disgusting.” He firmly insisted, his head shaking in disappointment.

“As for the whole ramblings of you higher elites, I may not be some rich Lord but I anxiously the king of the seas. I’ve heard legends about me by the harbor, about some devilishly handsome pirate who invades the seas at night. Isn’t that fantastic? I’m sure your sisters would be jealous to hear that you’ve snatched such a lovely gentleman of my status.”

"Oh, it's fantastic, of course it is. I never tire of hearing your stories, you know that. I haven't experienced much adventure in my life, evidently, so I adore your tales of adventuring," he promised with a faint smile, turning over in bed to stare up at the ceiling, his arms moving to cross back over his chest. Every story he had heard of the other's life on the sea had been extremely interesting, though it was always difficult hearing the stories of him and the former Captain he had, apparently, loved and called his soulmate. Whenever he was brought up, Obediah tended to change the subject as quickly as he could, though he couldn't abandon the jealousy he harboured. He knew it was stupid to be jealous of a dead man who was hardly going to come back and interfere in the relationship, but there was always that niggling feeling that he was Pat's first -and only true- love.

"...It's a shame you won't be able to go sailing again with your crew," he murmured after a few minutes of silence, tugging the quilt up over himself to try and counter the cold - however impossible that was. "I don't think I'm made for life on the sea and you're obviously not going to leave me to go back to that life. We can have adventures together on land, hm? Life at the Society is an adventure in itself, I think. It's never boring, going to all these functions at night and attending theatre productions and-- that's exciting enough for me."

“Perhaps you might like it on the ocean? You’ve never even stepped foot on a boat, Obediah. I want to see the world with you, don’t you want to see new things outside of London? At the very least we should head to my old home. It’s been a century since I last stepped foot in that town, ever since I stowed away on that boat. I would love for you to meet my old crew and we could sail the seas, stealing treasure left behind by the poor suckers who couldn’t do a job like us. We could be far away from all of these pompous fools, and now that you’ve turned we can spend as much time away as possible. If August manages to convince your brother to join us, you would never have to worry about losing him - your love for your family is commendable,” he praised before offering a soft kiss to the temple.

“I say you at least spend a few years, test it out. As I said, we have forever to sail. I will stay on land as long as you feel comfortable, but... I’m babbling,” he declared, shaking his head as he nestled it close to Obediah’s hair.

“I wish we could go out on the town, like usual. Laying in bed like this is so boring, especially if we aren’t allowed to have a little fun,” he huffed bitterly. “I’m hungry. Perhaps you can show me around your home later? I want to learn about your Crownfield side.”

Obediah didn't have the heart to admit that there was no real possibility of him ever abandoning land for the sea, the idea of sailing for months on end being the nightmare scenario for him. As much as he adored hearing his boyfriend's stories, he didn't want to be thrust into that environment, especially when that was something Pat had always experienced with his former lover. Obediah knew he'd just feel like some awful replacement and so keeping his distance seemed a more respectable option.

Preferring to keep that for a future discussion, rather than argue about it right now, he forced himself to smile as he turned back over to his side. "I'll show you around whenever you want. Now my father's dead, I can explore his study and the library properly. He always forbade me from entering those areas of the house. Now he's gone, we can explore that; that'll be fun at least. There's plenty to do here. It's not London, I know, but this is my home and I've always loved this house, you just need to have an open mind to it all, Pat."

“Oi, I’m the most open minded person I know,” he countered with a huff before letting out a tired sigh. He could no longer sleep but that didn’t mean he couldn’t feel emotionally exhausted from the long journey. He couldn’t sleep it off, the only thing that would truly make him feel better being some fresh blood. Now that Obediah was no longer human, he could no longer sneak little bites both out of love and hunger. It was selfish, he knew that, but was it so wrong to be a little selfish every now and then?

“You sure your brother wouldn’t be upset?” He reminded as he adjusted the eyepatch carefully. It was something he hadn’t even let August see, and he considered the man his closest friend. While he loved Obediah dearly, he was far from ready to show off the one thing he was most insecure about. “He seems the type to faint if he saw us doing something so devilish.”

"He'd be furious if he knew we were sneaking about the study and the areas he considers open to the head of the family only, but he's asleep. My brother could sleep through a hurricane, I'm quite sure. Besides, it's not the crime of the century if he does discover us, Pat. It's my home too; I'm entitled to look around if I wish," he remarked confidently, pushing himself up out of bed to retrieve his shirt he had tossed aside just minutes prior. Being intimate with Pat was probably the only thing he wanted to do, but when that was far too risky, exploring the house a bit and letting Pat learn more about him was an adequate substitute for his time.

"...You know almost all my secrets at this point. I don't know why you persist in wearing that eyepatch around me. I'm not sure what more I can do to make you feel comfortable enough to show me, Pat. I'm not rushing you buy we've been dating four years; I literally gave my humanity up for you, and you don't feel comfortable enough yet to... remove that thing?" He murmured with a glance over his shoulder, his frown deepening the more he took the other's carefulness not to reveal anything into consideration. "I-- sound awfully selfish and... rather rude, I suppose, but I... doubt sometimes that you care for me, and this just feels like another example of me loving you more than you love me-- I'm being dramatic and paranoid, but that's... sort of me. I'm my mother's son; she's known for being hyperbolic."

“I’ve known August for decades and I haven’t shown him either. It’s just... something I’m not ready to show anyone, Obediah. I don’t ask you to tell me about your trauma, do I? It’s just something that brings bad memories and I... I would rather not think about,” he explained, his usually boisterous and happy tone now instead quiet as he followed suit with getting to his feet, tugging his pants up with a soft sigh. Giving a side glance to his lover, he offered a soft smile nonetheless.

“Is me showing you my eye really the epitome of my love for you, or are you just so curious that you’ll say that in an attempt to guilting me into showing you? If that be the case, I’m disappointed. I can assure you that you would be upset if I mentioned what happened, just trust me.”

"I honestly believe that you don't care for me as much as I do you, yes. No point in being dishonest just to spare your feelings. But it's fine, I can cope with not knowing the backstory. I'm sure it has something to do with that boyfriend of yours; most of your stories usually involve him somehow - which, by the way, isn't very fun for me. I adore your stories, but not so much the ones where you're gushing about the adventures you had with your soulmate," he grimaced bitterly, the guilt hitting him moments after. He was aware that his snapping and bitterness had a lot to do with his hunger and thirst, and if he was fulfilled, he would be far more like himself. That wasn't to mean that the confessions were fabricated with the sole aim of hurting him - if anything, being as irritable as he was allowed the truth to come out. He just recognised how untimely such confessions were.

"...I'm sorry, alright? I'm tired and irritable and hungry and-- I'm not necessarily in the right frame of mind to deal with this right now, Pat. I'll be honest if you want me to be, but it's best for both of us if we just forget this discussion entirely and... go get Isabella's cat to feed on or something. I'll feel much better if I have some blood, right?"

“... yes, it does have to do with my old captain. When I was running away, one of the vampires scratched the eye straight out the socket but I had yet to change, so the damage had been done. If it weren’t for me changing, I’m certain I would have died from the infection before we ever sailed back to land. I know how much you hate me talking about him but... it’s naturally associated with that day. I can’t forget watching the man I loved at the time be torn to shreds, Obediah, and if you honestly think I can just snap my fingers and forget that all then you’re mad. It’s the reason I am who I am.” He explained flatly, his smile quickly changing to an unsubtle scowl.

“Are you? Are you happy that I told you that? No? Of course not, especially not when it has to do with Him. I’m - I’ll blame your rude attitude on your hunger, yes,” he grumbled before pressing into the hallway, scanning it quickly for any sign of another being. “Let’s just go.”

"I just don't like hearing about him, I think it's fair of me to be upset whenever you go on about him, Padraig. It isn't nice knowing that, if he came back somehow, you'd rush to him in a heartbeat. It's not a comforting fact for me to acknowledge that he was your soulmate and I'm second-best to him. I can accept it and I love you regardless, but it's not... easy to realise that I'm never going to be loved by you as much as he was. You can claim I'm being dramatic but we both know that's the truth," he remarked a final time, his eyes rolling to himself when he knew his words would either be laughed at, or simply disregarded as untrue. In his head, he had said nothing but the truth, though he was well aware Pat was hardly going to come out and say as such.

"...I can head out on my own, I don't need you trampling alongside me with your heavy footsteps. It's an old house. The floorboards creak enough as it is. I think it'll be best for me to go alone," he decided as he tugged on his old dressing gown, tying it up around himself with a faint shudder. "I'm not so stubborn that I won't return to bed later; I just think a little space for us both to calm down would be a good thing."

“At one point I called him my soulmate, yes, but that has changed obviously. You’re being stubborn and selfish and it’s so frustrating.” He urged, his jaw adjusting as the taller man watched Obediah, leaning against the wall all the while as he took in his lover.

“You know you’ll do something messy if you don’t have me come with you but perhaps it’s best you fail. Best case scenario, you’ll have fed a bit and your attitude will improve. Worst case scenario, you make a mess and risk everything. Do as you wish. I’ll speak with August in the meantime.” He decided with his own roll of his eyes, his grimace changing to a frown in disappointment.