The Man With a Suit & The Soldier of Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tony grinned when she said that this place was good enough for her. Good, because he wasn't going to change his mind from this place anyway. When they got seated at the table, he just picked up a menu and heard the hushed voices from the workers there. It wasn't strange for him to be in the center of attention, but sometimes he just wanted to be left alone. Oh well, he couldn't always get what he wished.

Looking up at the waitress, he didn't really care to notice the make up and the hairspray. When Sabrina was saying her order, he saw that the waitress was just looking at him like he was some piece of meat. "Well, you should really take her order instead of gawk," he commented to the waitress, not really in the mood to handle with a waitress that wanted his attention. "We are on a time crunch."

They weren't really on a time crunch, it would probably just make the waitress go a little faster. He saw that the waitress quickly nodded her head, and then looked at Sabrina. "What did you want?" she asked, sounding a bit rude. Of course, she wanted Tony to notice her, but he wasn't going to be interested in a waitress. She might have been good looking, but he was not going to give her the time of day.

"Well, obviously she wanted three eggs scrambled with cheese, bacon, sausage, white toast and coke," he answered, waving her off. "And I want a cheeseburger with fries. Coke for me as well."

When Tony wanted something done, he was going to get it done.

---

Beatrix held onto her pen, and then looked down at the file again. "Well, you certainly don't need to change your appearance, Steve," she commented, letting a small laugh escape her lips. "We are not going to be that drastic. All we are doing is changing your name, and moving you to a new location to make sure no other agent finds you. The only people who have access to you are me, Fury, and Agent Coulson."

She finished signing a paper, and then looked at him once more after pushing some papers to him as well as handing him another pen. "Read over these and sign them, it is just saying that you agree to be under my care as I teach you history and everything else that falls under that," she told him. "Oh, and don't worry, I am not a dull teacher, so you are in good hands."

Standing up from her seat, she walked over to the small record player that was in the corner of the room. With a smile, she played some jazz music that was easily played back in his time period. As she played the music, she looked back at him over her shoulder with a curious glance. "Do you dance, Steve?"

The waitress hurried to write down their orders, managing a curt glare to Sabrina before leaving back to the kitchen. Sabrina wasn't phased, she merely smirked and leaned back in the booth with crossed arms beneath her chest. "Well, aren't you efficient." Much to her own amazement, socializing with Tony wasn't all that awkward. Despite his popularity with the women, of course. That got a little annoying. However, she couldn't really pin the blame on him for that. Sure, he's flirtatious and all that, but the women are truly to blame for their own careless actions.

Sabrina may flirt, or playfully tease him, but she knows the limits. Besides, living in London makes it kinda impossible for her to carry on a relationship with anyone outside of the United Kingdom. She's only in the States for Yinsen's request, then she'll be going to Germany for his funeral and finally back home to lovely ol' England. "So, are you sure that your assistant won't be furious at you for taking a lunch with an old....comrade?" She didn't know what else to call them.

Carefully reading over the documents that she presented, Steve almost missed her question. Suddenly the room filled with music, a familiar sound to his ears. "Dance?" His hand dropped the pen, letting it roll across the table idly. "Well, I never was taught." Sure, he picked up a few moves from traveling with the USO girls, but his knowledge in the actual art form is limited. He's not the most confident in dancing.

Steve wondered, silently, if she was asking him to dance. He'd never refuse a lady, but really didn't want to embarrass himself. Trying to change the topic of conversation to something less uncomfortable, Steve finished signing the papers and set the documents back neatly onto her desk. "Well, ma'am, that's finished." Steve rose from the chair, straightening out his uniform and shifted nervously in his shoes.

The music was tempting him to move. Sounds of a song he'd long since forgotten in his memories. Suddenly, without his knowledge, the tip of left foot began to bounce in rhythm with the tempo. Steve's eyes fell shut, lips curling into an innocent smile as he relieved the pleasant memories of his past. Not everything was about the war, he did have fond moments with his friend and family. Those thoughts gave him relief, a distraction from the troublesome situation of his current life.

"Never stand in between a man and his food, it is quite rude," Tony commented, grinning a bit. He could have flirted with the waitress, but he knew better than that right now. Today was just a strange day for him. He was actually being the nice guy at the moment when he knew that work was just piling down on his desk. Oh well, it had to wait. He was spending time with someone who was trapped with him, and it was sort of a breather than doing his same thing that he did every day.

When she spoke about Pepper, he just shook his head. "No, she won't be," he thought aloud. As he said that, his phone started to ring. He took his phone from his pocket, and saw that it was Pepper. "Well, speak of the devil."

As soon as he pressed the phone to his ear, he was greeted by her voice. "Thank you for letting me know where you went, Tony," Pepper said, an annoyed tone lingering in her voice.

"I am out to lunch with the woman you met at the office," he responded, glancing at Sabrina for a moment before looking at the table. "I will be back later, don't wait up for me."

Before she said anything else, he hung up his phone and placed it back in his pocket. Pepper was probably mad at him, but she knew that she couldn't do anything. He was his own person. He looked up at Sabrina again and gave her a smile.

"Problem solved."

---

Beatrix hummed the song that was playing, observing his reactions. When he dropped the pen, her eye brow rose. It seemed like something struck a cord, and when he explained that he wasn't taught to dance, she slightly felt sorry for him. "Then I should teach you how to dance because I think it is proper for a gentleman like yourself to know a skill like that," she said.

Then she watched as he placed the papers neatly on top of her desk. She walked over to look them over before placing them in the manila folder that they came from. Now she was liable for him. It could have been stressful to have a super soldier under her wing, but it wasn't. He didn't seem like a man that would try to hurt her, he was too much of a gentleman for that. It was the way that he carried himself and she read people very well.

"Perhaps I will teach you at some point," she commented with a smile on her face. "With your permission, of course."

"How Pepper is able to keep a sane mind while under your employment, I'll never know." Sabrina doesn't answer obediently to anyone, such a position would not suit her. In a way, she shares Tony's stubbornness. Then again, they were raised in a similar fashion. Both the heirs to a legacy left behind by their fathers, that changes the manner in which someone adjusts to the world.

While Tony can live comfortably in the spotlight of the world, and seems to prefer it actually, Sabrina is the exact opposite. She doesn't enjoy being the center of attention. Sabrina prefers to be hidden among the background and only forced into the light when she so desires. Such occasions are rare, though.

When their food arrived, Sabrina began eating immediately. Pouring a hearty amount of ketchup onto her eggs, Sabrina lifted her eyes to Tony, watching him curiously. Stirring the scrambled eggs with the tip of her fork idly, the young woman posed a question. "Just curious, but if you had a limited time to live..." The topic held underlying meaning, even without saying it aloud. "How would you go about your remaining time?"

Normally women don't offer to teach men. Certainly not with the art of dance, at least. However, Steve felt touched by her suggestion and wouldn't necessarily mind having her be his instructor. Dancing was never something Steve never thought important enough to learn. After all, for so long, his primary focus was set entirely on the military and nothing else.

Now, owned beneath SHIELD and Nick Fury, Steve remains a solider. He'll always be the solider out of time. That can't be changed. Then again, Steve didn't wish to have it any other way. All the dedication it took to become a man of this position, it's a title he wears with pride.

"I hope this doesn't trouble you, ma'am, but I'm very hungry." Steve felt the uncomfortable stir of his stomach. Since being injected with the serum, not to mention being awaken from a prolonged state of frozen animation, Steve has developed quite the appetite. "Could we possibly go somewhere and get food?"

Tony has always loved the spotlight, and there was no doubt about that. He liked to do bigger and better things, and he had to make sure that everyone knew about it. That was how he was. Everything had to be so flashy with him no matter what.

When the food came, he just took a bite of his burger. The man wasn't trying to keep up appearances now, he had no reason to because he really had no one to impress. As Sabrina asked him the question, he brought himself in thought. What would he do with his last moments of life? This question was really never brought up to him because he was never worried about dying anytime soon.

"I am not sure really," he said honestly, and then bit into a fry. He allowed himself to chew his food before asking his own question to her. "What would you do?" Maybe she could give him some perspective.

---

At the mention of food, Beatrix nodded her head slightly. She was hungry as well, and she never noticed it until he had said something. The last thing she ate was food she had before she boarded the plane back to Washington, which was ten hours ago. Also, she was quite jet lagged, but she didn't let that affect her. The stress of flying to different countries never bothered her anymore, but it did slowly take a toll on her body. As an agent, she just had to learn to get up and go at whatever cost.

"Of course, I am not going to let you starve to death," she said with a slight teasing tone. She turned off the radio, and headed to the door after grabbing a few of her things, motioning him to follow her. "What are you in the mood for? I could go for anything right now." It was his choice because she wanted him to choose, plus the fact that he probably didn't have anything good to eat in awhile.

"You can have anything you want, and it will be on me," she added on with a wink. It would probably be an abnormal thing for a woman to pay for his food since gentlemen usually paid for the ladies, but this was a new day of age. Besides, the money wasn't directly coming from her anyway. All from the courtesy of SHIELD mostly.

"If I was in that situation?" Sabrina sighed heavily, shoulders collapsing forward. "Well, that's difficult to answer."

Discussing your own mortality is never favorable. However, Sabrina tried her best to imagine the situation. "I'd make personalized videos to each person that I truly care about. A way of recording my essence forever and that way I can tell them everything important. I'd donate all my belongings to those in need, leave behind a legacy for my father's company and finally, die peacefully in my bed."

Talking about this topic was quickly putting Sabrina in a state of distress. She shifted uncomfortably in the booth, trying to focus on her food instead. "Oi, how about a drink after?" A fan of alcohol at any time of day, Sabrina wouldn't mind a drinking buddy. "I have a flight arranged for Yinsen's funeral service in Germany this weekend. So I have four days to spend in Malibu before turning to London."

Why not enjoy her time here?

Steve wasn't entirely comfortable with Beatrix offering to pay, but didn't want to argue with her. If she wanted to be so kind, then he'd be sure to make it up to her in another way. Not all women follow traditions. That's something he learned from Peggy originally. A stubborn, aggressive, and assertive young woman that shattered his beliefs in a typical female.

"Well, what do you recommend?" Since he knew nothing of today's modern food, he entrusted the decision into Beatrix's hands. Anything would please his rumbling stomach at the moment. Well, aside from seafood. He's never been a fan of that type of food. Fish didn't agree with his stomach. "I want to learn about this world and nothing is a better introduction then local cuisine."

Steve smiled, following at her side. Whenever they came to a door, he reached a long arm forward and made sure to have it opened by the time she arrived.

Tony just nodded his head at her answer. That seemed like a good idea to him. He wouldn't know how to answer the question because he never gave it much thought. It was weird that she would bring up a type of question like that anyway, but he just shook it off like it didn't happen. Perhaps he would find an answer to that later.

At the mention of alcohol, he gave a little grin. He would never turn down a drink. "Yes, a drink would be nice," he told her. "Would you like to be in a bar or the comfort of a home?" Yes, he was actually giving her a choice. She was the guest after all, but who knew that the billionaire would be so nice?

"Hmm, I have a question," he started, and then leaned back in his seat. "Why are you so under the radar nowadays? I never hear word about you, so it is certain that you have stayed out of the tabloids." The last thing that was actually reported from her that he read was that she stopped the line of cars, and that was it. Maybe there were things but they were never really under his nose.

---

Beatrix would smile at Steve every time he would open the door for her. It was such a lovely gesture that she really was not used to, but she certainly can get used to it. Old habits died hard, and he was the perfect example of that phrase. His gentleman habits were something that was going to be hard to forget, which she didn't mind.

"There is this great Mexican restaurant that I can take you too," she suggested, and looked back at him. "Does that sound good?"

She brought him to the parking garage to get to her car that she left when she was in Germany. At least it hadn't been touched too much because she trusted Coulson with taking care of it when she was gone. All he did was take it on a joy ride once because that was what his request was to agree to watch it. It was one of the classic red 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air convertibles that her father passed to her before she turned 18, and it was still in mint condition. A family car that was passed down from her great grandfather.

"Passenger side should be unlocked," she commented before going to the driver's side.

That question was not something Sabrina wanted to answer. She could have refused, but knew that would only make the situation worse. After all, it was just an innocent inquiry and Tony had every right to be curious. "Well, it's quite simple." Sabrina slowly pulled up the sleeve of her right arm, rolling the fabric up to her elbow.

Despite having fairly pale skin, a few scars were visible on the surface of her flesh. Remnants of being whipped, beaten and basically abused constantly by the Ten Ring's men. The scars were deep, appearing like welts on the skin. "The physical scars are superficial. I wish the same could be said for the mental and psychological side effects."

Pulling back down her sleeve, Sabrina looked down into the swirling ice of her soda and sighed. "I have countless scars all over my body. It seems they only were kind enough to spare my face." She scoffed. "I can't continue modeling with these imperfections in sight. So I dropped away from the modeling career. I've been seeing a psychologist and therapist regularly without the aid of medication. I simply want to focus on myself and deter from the media until I'm more stable and comfortable with what happened back in that cave."

Sabrina finished her meal, paying for both their plates and drinks. "Well, how about we go somewhere fun now, Mr. Stark?" She flashed a smile, lifting the depressive mood that had settled. "Bar, club, your place..." She listed off the options. "Any of those are perfectly fine with me."

Steve gawked at the car, impressed to see it with his own eyes. He eagerly got inside, fastening his seat belt and sat down comfortably. He nodded to Beatrix's suggestion. His stomach growled in demands for food, to which he blushed the faintest shade of red across both cheeks. Steve wasn't usually prone to such displays, but even he has his moments.

When she began driving along the roads, Steve's attention was directed to the passing landscapes. So much has changed since he last walked the Earth. Of course, he knew this feeling would come to fade within time. How long this transformation would take, though, he couldn't say.

Steve was fairly silent for the entire drive. When they finally parked, the man hurried to Beatrix's side and opened the door car. He gently shut it after her. "So, Mexican food?" Not something he's had much experience with, but he wouldn't refuse any type of food at this point. Possibly even seafood. That would still be a risky chance to take, though.

He went wide eyed as he saw her scars, and it made him think about the time in that cave. With her being a woman, she was targeted for those horrible things and he couldn't do anything about it. It made him depressed knowing that she did go through that pain, and all he could do was say that he was sorry that happened to her. The subject was pretty touchy, so he just left it at that without saying anything else about it.

"Well, let's go back to my place," he told her, wanting to object about her paying for the food, but then remembered that she offered. "If we went to a club or anything, I am sure media will follow me around everywhere and I am pretty sure that you do not want that."

Tony stood up from the booth, and then waited for her to get up before leading her back to his car. "Besides, who needs to go to a club when I have drinks at my place?" And he knew that he was right. He opened the car door for her, making sure to make sure she was fully in the car before he closed it and went to his side. He started the car and he drove back towards his home in Malibu.

---

"Everything has changed, hasn't it Steve?" Beatrix questioned, noticing that he was staring out the window as they drove past the new modern buildings. It was probably a big shock to him, and she could understand why it was. He woke up in a new time period with bigger and brighter things. She knew that would have surprised her as well if she was frozen for awhile.

When they got to the restaurant, she gave him a smile when he opened the door for her. "Yes, Mexican food," she responded, starting to walk to the entrance of the restaurant. She assumed that he was going to open that door for her as well, so she waited for that before entering the building.

It was a nice restaurant setting with slightly dimmed lights, and it was pretty quiet besides the calm music playing. An authentic Mexican food restaurant that was far more classier than a normal taco shop. The host brought them to a table, and sat them down. "I think you will like the food here," Beatrix told him before looking at the menu, "I come here often."

Sabrina chuckled happily at Tony's comment. He had a valid point. After all, his estate would be more comfortable and less public than arriving at a bar and trying to evade the media. Following him the car, Sabrina got inside and buckled herself immediately. "So, are you gonna show me the progress you've made on the Arc Reactor?"

It only seemed fair. Since Yinsen, Sabrina and Tony all created the device through combined efforts and knowledge. Sure, Tony had the idea to build it in the first place, but the device was successful because of the various techniques that each individual knew.

When they arrived at Tony's estate, Sabrina got out and followed behind him to the doors. Upon entry, they were greeted by an automated voice with a familiar accent. Sabrina giggled, lifting a hand to her lips. "I always knew you had a fancy for my accent," she teased.

She decided to thicken her accent greatly, furthering her enjoyment as she taunted the automated voice system. "Well 'ello, sir. Brilliant day we're having, yeah? Thanks for welcoming me to your humble abode." Sabrina kicked off her shoes and left them by the doorway, continuing towards the kitchen with black socks. She slid across the smooth surface of the wooden floors in wide strides. Twirling gracefully as she reached the counter. Spotting his selection of alcohol, Sabrina began constructing her signature drink and winked playfully at Tony as he approached.

"What you'll have, gov'nor?"

Steve smiled as they entered the building, shutting the door after Beatrix walked inside. "I can't remember the last time I had a meal at a restaurant." Following their host to the table, the employee rose a trimmed brow when Steve suddenly reached forward to pull out Beatrix's chair. Catching the curious eyes lingering on himself, Steve's cheeks darkened slightly and he forced a thick knot of nervousness down his throat.

The employee laughed, waving their hand happily. "Nice to know not all men have lost their decency."

Steve offered a sincere smile, seating himself politely. "He's a keeper, ma'am." The host smirked, casting a wink in Beatrix's direction. The embarrassed solider immediately reached for his menu and buried his humiliated face.

When they went to his car and she asked the question about the Arc Reactor, he gave a slight nod. It was only fair for her to see the work that he has done with it because she was there to help him build his own. She helped him survive, which was a wonderful thing. He could have been dying if it wasn't for Yinsen and the lady next to him. "Yes, of course," he told her, "It needs more tweaking, so maybe you can help with that?" Only because he trusted her.

As soon as they got to his estate, they were greeted by the voice. "That is JARVIS, he is quite the intelligent one," he spoke after saying hello to the computer. As soon as she mentioned him having a liking to her accent, he gave her a small grin. "And your accent is quite... How should I say this without making it weird?" At this he paused, and spoke once more. "Attractive."

The billionaire playboy rose a brow when she went straight to his liquor collection, watching as she made herself comfortable. As soon as she asked him what he wanted, he replied with, "Surprise me." He wasn't sure if that was the better thing to say, but he was going to allow her to do what she wanted for the time being.

"And when did you start bar tending?" he teased.

---

"I would rather eat at restaurants since the quality of food is way nicer than fast food," Beatrix responded, giving him a smile. She noticed that her host was staring at Steve with a strange look on her face. The agent grinned, knowing well it was because of how much of a gentleman that he was. A lot of guys needed to learn from him, especially the guys from past in which they needed the help.

They were seated, and the host mentioned that he was a keeper. It made her stifle a laugh, and watched how the soldier buried himself in the menu. "Yes, he is," she commented back, playing along with the host for a moment. It was something to do to make things fun since she always had to be so serious. "And don't worry about him, he gets embarrassed when someone mentions it."

The host gave a smile and told them that their waitress would be right out to help as soon as possible. When she had left, Beatrix just grinned at Steve, bringing her hand up to pull down the menu from his face. "And you definitely will be a keeper," she commented, giving him a sincere smile. "Especially with your handsome face and you know your manners." He was swoon material and that was for sure.

Sabrina smirked hotly, "My mom is a fan of various alcoholic beverages. She taught me how to bar tend when I became of legal age in England." She mixed herself a drink with strawberry liquor, rum, blueberry juice (she'd already pureed the blueberries), ice and a dash of vodka. A signature drink she's always loved. As for Tony's drink, his was less fruity and nowhere near as colorful. Sabrina chucked ice into a small glass, poured a thick layer of flavored syrup at the bottom and filled the remainder with a high class scotch she found in his cabinet.

"The verdict?" Sabrina waited as she handed him the glass, her fingers lightly brushing across his own. She sipped her own drink greedily, anxious to hear his review on the drink. The tip of her tongue glided out along her lips, savoring the sweetness left behind from her drink. Sabrina has a high tolerance to alcohol, but still shouldn't be so adapt to drink whenever possible. It's a coping method to the psychological abuse from the Ten Rings.

As she moved around the kitchen, Sabrina sat down on a stool and faced Tony indirectly. "I'd love to see the newest Arc Reactor when you have a chance." She really was interested.

Steve's hands tightened on the sides of his menu when Beatrix gently pulled it downwards. Seeing her face staring so closely at his own, Steve's lips curved in an awkward smile. "Well, I...." Dating isn't exactly his first priority at the moment. Even so, it's nice to hear someone speaking about him in such a high regard. Steve's eyes were lost on the menu, unable to read anything written.

"Ma'am, if I may ask, what do you recommend on the menu?" He'd take her suggestion happily.

Steve's presence caught a few people's attention. Not because they recognized him from over 50 years ago, but because most men don't dress in the fashion that he prefers. Steve's broad shoulders were covered by a leather jacket, a white shirt underneath, dark washed jeans and black combat boots. Torn and tattered, the original pair he'd been wearing when the plane crashed.

Last edited by a moderator:
As she was explaining as to how she knew so much, he watched as she made her concoction. It was interesting to watch as she made her drink, and he knew that he wouldn't like all of that fruity stuff. When she started to make his drink, he rose a brow as she put syrup in it. Usually he had the normal scotch without anything added on to it. Tony looked at his drink, taking it from her as she finished it. He doubted that it would taste bad, but he made mistakes on assumptions like that before.

When he took a sip of his drink, he let the taste linger in his mouth for a moment before he gave her a thumbs up. "It is an interesting taste, but I do like it," he commented, taking another sip of the alcoholic beverage. He did notice the gesture of her licking her lips, but he didn't mention anything about it.

"You can take a look," he told her, then he motioned her to follow him. It might be crazy that he was going to show her where he was working, but he trusted her. After all, she did help him survive. He brought her down to his lab, punching in a code quickly and JARVIS allowed the entry. "Don't get too excited, there are some things that are unfinished down here."

---

Beatrix let a laugh escape from her lips, leaning back in her chair. It was certainly amusing seeing him squirm a little in his seat. Perhaps he wasn't comfortable with the attention, but she found it fun flirting with the soldier. There was no harm done in the matter, just a simple thing to keep things a little more interesting than to make things boring.

"Well, I suggest the blueberry pancakes, they are my favorite here," she mentioned, "That is what I am getting since it has been far too long since I have had them from here."

She observed Steve for a moment, just seeing how her great-grandfather described him. Even if her great-grandfather didn't fight alongside of the soldier in front of her, he knew of him. As being German descent, her great-grandfather took no part in the war, but he aided the US forces when they came to Germany. So, the family was very much on the American side of things.

Beatrix realized that she was staring, and she cleared her throat to look down at the cup of coffee in front of her. "Do you wish you can go back in time?" she asked.

Sabrina eagerly followed Tony downstairs and waited impatiently for him to enter the code so they could go inside. Upon entry, Sabrina quickened her pace and immediately began exploring. Fascinated by his experiments, even the incomplete projects. A few things she already knew what they were, but held no hesitation in asking about anything she wasn't familiar with. After all, she loves learning new facts.

When her eyes had finally seen enough of the lesser toys, Sabrina turned her attention back to Tony. "Alright, now let me see the Arc Reactor." It wasn't a request. Sabrina politely reached forward and opened the top buttons of his shirt. Slender fingers easily opening them without trouble. She gently pushed on Tony's shoulders and forced him down into a nearby chair. "I'm just examining it, promise."

Sabrina's eyes widened instantly once the device was fully visible. Slowly gliding her fingers along the metallic surface, she heard the electronic humming and giggled slightly. "You've greatly improved on Yinsen's design." She smiled happily, lingering on Yinsen's memory for a moment. Her hand lay forgotten on Tony's chest, having slipped from the Arc Reactor. "He was a grand man, one of the best. I don't think we would have escaped without each other."

Steve suddenly fell silent, taking Beatrix's question into serious consideration. If given the chance, would he return? To be reunited with the woman he'd grown to care for? Have the opportunity to live within his proper time? Would he go back? These questions have often plagued him every night since being unfrozen. Beatrix probably expected a really short reply, but for Steve, he played out the theory in his mind. He wanted to explain his answer.

"Everything happens for a reason, ma'am." That's the simplest way he knew how to answer it without too much complication. "I was given this body and given the chance to be a real hero for the world. I did my best and although I couldn't protect everyone, I made an impact. My presence was known and I did the best to my abilities. I sincerely miss my loved ones, but even if I went to the past and they were still alive, I'd know the future. Living with the present knowledge I have now would be too overwhelming for me. I'd collapse under the responsibility of carrying around their fates in my mind."

Steve shifted his eyes to her's, not breaking focus. "The way I see it, I died in that plane and this is a new life for me to be whoever I want."

Tony gave a raise of a brow, holding up his drink for a moment before setting it down on the table before she attacked him with starting to unbutton his shirt. "You didn't have to force me down, you could have asked," he mentioned in a slight tease, not sure how to react to something like this. He knew that she was eager to see the reactor, but he didn't know that she was this eager. Though he wasn't going to hold any of this against her. It would just be strange if Pepper ever walked into the building.

When she spoke about Yinsen, he just smiled a little knowing the admiration that she had for the man. "I owe him everything," he said, grabbing his drink and then taking another sip. Then he thought of something clever, and rose his glass up to her. "To Yinsen for being a great man and helping us survive."

---

Beatrix let a small smile crept to her lips as he told her his explanation as he locked his eyes with her own. It was a nice moment to share with him since it was such a thought out answer from him. Everything happened for a reason, and she knew that so well. There was no changing the past, which she accepted. "What you did helped us a lot, it was a selfless act that many other people wouldn't have done," she said, reaching over and placed her hand on top of his gently. "And that I thank you, Steve."

"I admire your strength to keep going in this world that you don't know," she said, leaning back in her seat. Realizing that her hand was still on his, she slowly brought it away and folded her hands in her lap. "Everyone has their own drive, and I believe that you found your own."

Sabrina couldn't reach for her own drink, which was left half finished upstairs. Instead, she smiled at Tony's toast and caught his glass with her lips. She tilted it backwards gently and took a hearty sip for herself. Afterwards she lowered the glass back into his grip and licked her lips to savor the lingering taste once more. "Now, about the Reactor." She turned her attention back to her primary focus, the reason why she even came to Malibu in the first place.

"I'd like to run a complete scan on the Arc Reactor, if you don't mind?" She knew this wasn't just a machine, it has become a part of his biological body. However, if Yinsen was right about the failure in its power source poisoning Tony, she'd need to run a few exams before giving him the devastating news. The last Sabrina wanted was to be incorrect and inform Tony.

Sabrina took control of the situation, collecting the necessary equipment and removed Tony's shirt entirely. She attached the wires to his Arc Reactor so they'd gather the findings. She carefully arched him backwards in the chair and leaned forwards just enough so she could place an final wire to his jawline....when suddenly the doors opened.

"Tony, honestly?" It was Pepper. "I know you have a reputation, but seriously? Bringing girls into your shop just to get laid?"

Sabrina jolted, freezing in place, still hovering above Tony with her hands in midair near his neck. "Um...Pepper, this isn't....I'm not...We're won't..."

Beatrix has a tender touch. The way she gracefully brought her hand to his, it was soothing in the strangest way. Normally a woman's touch would have frightened or made Steve uncomfortable. He felt nothing like that with Beatrix. She was extremely disarming. A strange ability that she seems to have mastered within her years. Steve almost missed the warmth of her hand, but wouldn't dare to reach across for it.

When the pancakes arrived, Steve's mouth immediately began to water. The smells alone was enticing. Not to mention the buttery goodness sat atop his plate. He dripped a reasonable amount of syrup onto the flat disks, cutting neatly into the stack. Chewing his first piece thoughtfully, Steve's eyes widened in delight. "It's delicious!" He claimed happily, his voice a tad louder than expected.

When she took the drink out of his hand, he allowed her to. The woman was a little daring, and he liked it. Her personality was way different than what he remembered, but it made her who she was. Tony never minded it, a strong woman is indeed what he liked, though he would never fully admit to it. Then she went straight to the point about the Reactor, and he set his drink down. If he said no, she would have probably done it anyway.

In a blink of the eye, she had his shirt off. "Again, you could have asked," he stated with a smug grin. He allowed her to attach the wire to his Reactor, and allowed her to position him in a way that was proper for her. Then when the doors opened, he let out a loud sigh as his ears heard the voice of the woman that scolded him many times before.

Tony put his hands up to show Pepper that he wasn't doing anything wrong. "On the contrary, Pepper, if I were to be doing anything sexual with her, my hands would be all over the place at this moment," he said, trying to defend himself. "She is just running tests on the Reactor to make sure it is working properly. So, don't worry about it. I suggest getting a drink and calm down, you worry too much."

---

Beatrix let out a small laugh as he exclaimed like a happy child would, it definitely brought a cheery mood to her. It has been awhile since she got the moment to have a little fun when she was working, and she almost forgot how it was to normally go do things with other people. Perhaps this assignment was good for her in the end, but she didn't know just yet. At the moment she was just content with having unforced conversations and quality time being around another person.

"I am glad that you like them," she replied as she cut into her own pancakes, starting to eat hers as well. She savored the taste for a moment, missing the enjoyment of an actual meal without having to worry that someone will blow her cover when she was in public. So, it was a nice change.

After a couple of minutes, she had finished half of her pancakes and she had stopped to take a sip of her coffee. "You know, I think Fury did me a favor by pulling me out of the mission I was in the middle of. He always told me that I was always so serious," she said thoughtfully. "I am always caught up with everything else, but I never have the time to enjoy things."

"What does she know about the Arc Reactor?" Pepper challenged, stepping forwards and narrowing her eyes. Lifting her gaze from Tony, she focused her eyes on Sabrina. "Who exactly are you?"

Sabrina shifted nervously, standing firmly on her feet. "I'm Sabrina Ryder. I'm the current acting CEO of Ryder Automotive in England."

Absorbing the information for a moment, Pepper crossed her arms, "You're a CEO?"

Sabrina knew that tone. Pepper didn't believe her. No one ever did. For whatever reason, people find it impossible to fathom someone like Sabrina as an intelligent young woman. "Actually, yes, I am." In efforts to make Pepper take her word seriously, Sabrina then went on to describe the entire design of the Arc Reactor with the proper technical jargon and everything she said was completely accurate.

"How do you know so much about that?" Pepper questioned, arms dropping to her side in amazement.

Sabrina smirked, tossing a glance back to Tony for a brief second. "I know so much because the Arc Reactor was originally designed by three minds, not solely Tony."

Then it clicked, widening Pepper's eyes. "You...you were in that cave?"

Sabrina nodded, the memories surfacing and she immediately took a few steps backwards with both arms circled around her stomach nervously. "Yinsen kept Tony and I stabilized within the range of medical treatment and I assisted Tony in developing the Arc Reactor. The basic idea was Tony's, but I helped implement it into reality for his biological body. I have knowledge in the Medical and Engineering fields, but machines are my specialty.

Pepper failed to notice the slight shaking in Sabrina's arms, too focused on the story. Sabrina's eyes dropped to the floor, her eyes heavily dilated and glasses slipping from her nose.

"Oh?" Steve glanced up from his plate, a light coating of syrup forgotten on his lips. "The same could have been said for me during the military." He confessed freely, cutting back into his stack of pancakes. "I was so intent on completing assignments, I never took a second to enjoy the world around me." Now he's in an entirely new world. A second chance to take advantage of the world he's in.

Steve finished his pancakes, a slight look of disappointment had fallen onto his face. The food was so delicious, he could have easily eaten another plate or two if allowed. However, he just smiled with contentment and sipped quietly from his glass of water. "I'm sorry that you've been reassigned to my case," he apologized sincerely. He knew what it was like to be pulled away from a mission suddenly. "If I may, though, ma'am...." Steve gently reached his hand across and for a brief moment, let his hand rest on her own. "I'm very thankful that you were given this mission."

The waitress appeared suddenly and Steve's hand went missing from Beatrix's hand, back to his side. "Here you go," she smiled, placing the bill down. Curious as to how much times have truly changed, Steve sneaked a peek at the ticket. His heart jumped, "That much?" Coming from a different era, money was certainly a surprise.

Tony looked at the two females, hearing as they bickered to one another. Of course Pepper would get defensive, she usually did with things like this. She always disliked the way he brought women to his home, but she had to understand it was his home. He did what he wanted most of the time, but he was on a leash at other times. Pepper was just a woman who wanted things done her way, and he completely understood. She had to keep him in line, that was why she was his personal assistant.

His eyes went to Sabrina, seeing that she was shaking and he placed his hands on her arms gently. "Just calm down, Pepper just thought differently," he said to her, trying to talk her down from whatever she was going through in her mind. Even if it didn't seem like he cared for things, he did sympathize with others. It was rude of Pepper to assume things, but he understood why she did. She was stuck in this position before where she walked in when there was another woman with him.

"Everything will be fine," he assured Sabrina as much as he could, looking her in the eyes. "Remember that you are here, and not there."

He just had a feeling that she was thinking about that.

---

Beatrix gave him a smile, glad that he was an understanding person. As coming from a military background himself, he understood what she was going through. It was nice to have that connection with someone who was not an agent. This man sitting in front of her was very easy to talk to, and that she was happy about. Not everyone had that quality, and it was rare to have that. The gesture of him reaching over to place his hand on hers made a warm feeling come to her, a very strange feeling, especially after his words.

When she was about to say something, she was cut off by the waitress and him pulling his hand away. Beatrix quickly snapped away from her thoughts, and laughed a little at his surprise at the bill. "Inflation is not the greatest thing," she told him, taking the bill in her hand, "But we get used to it because it is normal now." She took out her wallet from her purse, and placed down some cash.

"Don't complain because I am buying," she told him with a wink. She knew that he was going to say something about it, since the gentlemen in his time usually paid for things like this. "You just owe me later."

Tony's touch, although comforting, triggered a rather painful memory to resurface. Recalling those calloused hands roaming freely along her naked skin, Sabrina shuddered and immediately jumped. Pepper couldn't understand what was happening. She watched the pair in confusion. "Tony, is she alright?" Sabrina's eyes were closed, tears leaking down and cascading her cheeks. "Tony? Is she..."

Pepper dropped her voice, seeing how frightened Sabrina had become. The young female cuddled to Tony, finally realizing he wasn't a member of the Ten Rings. Pepper was horrified. Unlike Tony, Sabrina seemed to be severally effected by the kidnapping. "Let's get her upstairs," Pepper suggested. She walked over to the panicked woman and gently set a hand on her shoulder. Sabrina tensed, moving closer to Tony and whimpered very faintly. Her arms still clung around her stomach, shoulders hunched forwards and her eyes closed tightly.

"Okay, Tony, you'll have to help her upstairs. She won't let anyone touch her." Pepper held open the door and waited until they made it up the stairs. "Put her on the couch." She went to the kitchen, pouring a glass of water and set it down aside Sabrina's laying frame. "She's such a confusing woman. A CEO and yet, she's suffering from this severe of anxiety? Just what happened in that cave, Tony?"

"Of course," Steve agreed eagerly to paying her back. It was the proper thing to do, at least in his eyes. Having the woman pay for everything is not how Steve was raised, but he wouldn't object to her choices. Grabbing his coat from the back of the chair, Steve hurried to meet Beatrix at the door. "Where are we going now?" He gently pushed the door open with a single hand, waiting for her to pass through. Steve really didn't care where they ventured, so long as he had he company.

Being around other people is not something he's gotten used to yet. For so long, he was alone. On missions, playing the role of Captain America, he didn't have the experience of true friends. Well, his last friend died. Anyway, skipping away from all those depressive memories, Steve followed Beatrix back to her vehicle. "I know my alias is Stephen, but I'd prefer if you'd continue calling me Steve." He smiled, getting inside the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.