The Knight's Wanderer

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
While she was upstairs getting dressed, Joseph helped himself to the supplies for the fireplace and had started up a flame. The flame was burning quite well when she arrived, and he was already wiping some sweat off his brow, having had to fight with some of the timbers. When he heard her steps and the sound of her landing on the couch, he turned to her with a gentle smile, brown hair clinging near his eyes due to the light sweat. "Seems you've changed comfortably. Now you can rest without fear of catching a cold."

She smiled. "Sit with me, friend." She made enough room for him on the couch, grabbing a book from beneath the cushion as well as her blanket from the back of the couch. "Relax, no need for you to get worked up on my account."

He gave her a quizzical glance, but decided if it was her request he would abide Standing with care, he walked with simple yet long strides to the couch, taking the empty seat for himself and planting himself there. His back rested against the back of the couch easily, and it seemed to relax a pull in the muscles that he hadn't even realized were there during the day. "I'm not getting worked up on your account, only my own. No need to fret. I only fret when I feel a need to for any particular reason. Please do not feel a need to get worked up on mine either."

She chuckled, "Very well then." She cracked open the book, yawning as she did so.

He watched her with intent as she yawned, leaning his head on his shoulder lightly. "If you're tired, you should sleep. I'll keep an eye on you for a bit before I go."

She blinked at him sleepily. "Don't forget I have the spare room should you need it..." Eliza turned her attention back to her book, turning the page as she finished the one she was on.

"I do know that. But using your kindness would be rude for too long a time. And I already stayed quite far into my welcome." He gave her a simple smile, leaning his head further back. "Besides, I already paid the inn keeper."

"You have not stayed far beyond your welcome. My house is open to you always." She shrugged, flipping the page again as she yawned.

He was slightly surprised by her kind response, but scolded himself internally for both being surprised and moved. However, he was tempted to accept the offer since she was so willing- he was still a bit worried about her anyhow. "I might just take you up on the offer then, at least a bit longer. Besides....This is rather comfortable."

She looked up at him, smiling brightly. "Of course it's comfortable! I designed this house myself."

"All on your own? Wouldn't that be quite a difficult task? It's quite remarkable you took on such a feat, in my opinion."

Eliza shrugged. "Well I designed it myself. I didn't build it myself. My squad helped me build it." She yawned, putting the book away and curling up in her blankets. The book surprisingly was a title called The Knight and the Dove. It was a romance novel that was Christian and not the war novel you would expect a woman of her occupation to be reading.

When she curled up in the blanket, he smiled lightly and checked to make sure she was tucked in properly, patting her shoulder by leaning over. "You designed it well. And it was built well by those who care about you. It's a special place, isn't it?" He smiled, turning to look at the book- he'd read it a long while back, but he couldn't recall what it was about anymore. Titles meant little compared to the stories inside. "Tell me about the book you're reading tomorrow. It'd be fun to hear a story from someone else, if it'd be alright with you. But for now, you should rest."

She looked at the tattered and obviously well-loved book with interest. "I suppose I could." She curled up further on the couch with a smile. "Go get some sleep."

He smiled at her simply in response. "I'll rest here. I'd like to keep an eye on you while you rest before I do so myself."

When she drifted off, he kept watch. He was still worried about her, and that was clear in his brown eyes. When he felt confident after watching her for a while, he lifted himself off the couch and moved to gently run his hand through her hair, before taking the steps it took to the guest room she had provided him the night before as well. When he laid in the bed, he stared at the ceiling before dozing himself, keeping her in his mind all the while out of concern.

She mumbled, shifting and curling up deeper on the couch. She dreamt of nothing, just an utter blackness. It was usual for her to dream of nothing, she was already living the life she had chosen.

Joseph wasn't one to have vivid dreams- his dreams were mostly a mixture of memories that blended together to make a new story. That evening's was no different- however, it was haunted by the memory of the ghoul, yet Eliza played no part in it's plot in the young tale-spinner's mind. He groaned slightly as he tried to change the dream on his own will, but had difficulty doing so and woke up of his own accord in the wee hours of the morning, sighing. "It's rare that I don't enjoy my dreams...I guess even I am easily spooked, of course..."

Eliza woke, blinking sleep from her eyes and wondering why she had fallen asleep on her couch again. Was one of her men sleeping upstairs? Did one of them get into a fight at the bar again? She jerked awake, sitting straight up before groaning and laying back down.